American Ninja - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

American Ninja Reviews

½ September 1, 2016
This was a pretty good movie. Your typical 80s type ninja movie. Just an American as the ninja.

There's also several sequels to this film. American Ninja 2: The Confrontation (1987), American Ninja 3: Blood Hunt (1989)- this film doesn't feature Michael Dudikoff. American Ninja 4: The Annihilation (1990), which does feature Michael Dudikoff. The final film in the collection is American Ninja 5 (1993), which again, doesn't feature Michael Dudikoff. This film doesn't seem to follow the story from the previous four films.
½ July 22, 2016
7/22/2016: Not a good movie. Some of the stunts and acting were pretty bad.
July 6, 2016
We love Steve James.
May 19, 2016
Every '80s cliche I love and the best "you're all right, man" from a bully ever.
½ November 6, 2015
First off- f### all you. American Ninja is a great damn movie and you know it. Of course it's no masterpiece- it's Canon. But it is still incredible. It is everything you could want in a movie called American Ninja. Didikoff has every right to be a bitter asshole (if he is- I have no idea, but would rather think not because I like my heroes pure) because he could have been a great action star and this movie shows that. He's a hell of a lot better than Schw/Norris/Van-Damn in their first films and think how much glorious action has come from them. American Ninja has a badass US Army Ninja who barely speaks (Snake Eyes anyone?) a badass roundhousing black Sgt. with a badass fro, evil ninja, mean foreign drug lords, and a lost father-son subplot to boot. Fuck you all. This movie deserves 5 stars for effort, but I don't believe in participation trophies either, so 4.5 it remains. Great action, great fun, THE perfect "ninja" movie, and even a really impressive soundtrack to boot. Those horns will blare strong and high in your mind till the day you die. Dont hate.

September 8, 2015
A James Dean lookalike kicking ass? Sounds good to me!
July 28, 2015
July 28, 2015
Ninja stereotypes and an American soldier whose magical youthful training somehow makes him superhuman. No matter how rigorous the training is from the "master Ninja" - they just can't compete with our magical American ninja.

This movie is laughably dated too. The insider arms deal, the ninjas throwing smoke balls to make themselves disappear, the "I've seen this a million times" action-movie plot. There's little in the way of good martial arts either... and stupid sprinkled throughout. I mean, why would the master ninja kill one of his dedicated, skilled trainees to prove his "badness". Just dumb.
½ June 21, 2015
Cheap Cannon film from 1985.
Cannon liked any film related to ninjas it seemed! It was originally titled American Warrior.
The film in parts is like a glorified television episode of a show like the A-Team with its cheap looking action effects.
Michael Dudikoff plays the title role? Who is he?
It is typical of a film in a VHS rental shop in the eighties! Cheap Cannon B movies.
Basically it follows a strange loner US soldier with ninja skills in a US army base in the Philippines.
There is a typical shot of a model helicopter being blown up and studio insert with a painted background by a six year old.
Luckily it only dragged on for approximately 90 minutes.
It took two viewings. I fell asleep during the first although it was 10pm after a day at work.
½ May 25, 2015
A bad plot, bad acting & some entertaining action sequences made Michael Duidkoff a cult action icon of the 80's, this was also the start of one of The Cannon Group's most successful film series. Its just b-movie goodness with somewhat better than horrible performances & enjoyable action sequences.
May 16, 2015
Pretty much any ninja flick from Cannon FIlms directed by Sam Firstenberg is sure to be a winner for anyone that likes simply 80's ninja action flicks that are hollow on original stories but kick-ass on the action. Michael Dudikoff hardly has any character, and his amnesia backstory seems to be a poor excuse for that! But these kind of movies aren't meant to have much depth or thought put into viewing them, which of course makes them lazy and not very good films in general. With this kind of movie, the story is there to drive the action, and of course its a typical deal with stoppping an arms trade with corrupt US military, but if all you're looking for is lots of ridiculous ninja action nonsense, you'll get it right here.
½ May 15, 2015
This film comes straight from the 80's action mould. And not the good mould that Top Gun came out of.
The loner with no memory but super ninjistu skills and his army buddies face off against generic European bad guys and Black Star Ninjas.
The good guys win, the girl falls for the guy and everybody lives happily ever after except the non American ninjas and the Sensei of the good ninja.
The fact this spawned four sequels must have been part of some tax dodge by the producers.
If you are looking for an action film from 1985, give Rambo First Blood Part 2 a look before you watch this.
Featured on Episode 55 of The Emerald Reprobates Podcast
½ May 15, 2015
"American Ninja" was THE action movie when I was a kid...well, all kinds of martial arts movies were actually THE action films to me then but anyhoo, this was one of the greatest. Time has eaten away it's charm but only a little, since the action scenes get better as the movie goes on. Unintentional humor is still there, starting with the basic 1980's clichés: a car hits the smallest little tree in existence and EXPLODES! I had to pause the movie because I was laughing so hard and of course the evil Ninja a.k.a. Boss Fight Ninja uses various hilarious gadgets from his hands, including three piped firearm, a flamethrower and a laser beam, A F***ING LASER BEAM!
½ May 9, 2015
A hilariously bad typical 80's action film that centers on marine Joe (No surname) and his ninja like moves & unknown background.

Michael Dudikoff is a horrendous actor that has no expression what so ever & is supported by so pretty ordinary actors as well.

The fun in the film relies on how bad it is, completely unrealistic story, and the sheer load of rubbish that one man could take on a whole drug cartel in the phillipino underworld. Very bad & very fun!!!!
½ September 28, 2014
MIchael Dudikoff intenta ser un nuevo héroe de acción en esta estúpida cinta que, exceptuando a John Fujioka, no tiene ningún valor redimible. Solo en los 80.
½ August 1, 2014
American Ninja delivers plenty of martial arts action with a solid narrative and a skillful performance by Michael Dudikoff.
½ July 25, 2014
American Ninja is a movie that's just as goofy as it sounds. If you were expecting a kick-ass, all-action thrill ride, you'll immediately be disappointed by the film's pace. For a film about ninjas, it's not very fast-paced. The plot always shifts sporadically from ninja action to wishy-washy romance, never mind that the premise is pretty ridiculous and underdeveloped. The main character doesn't talk throughout much of the film, which is actually okay since he's not much of an actor. However, when he does start talking more often, he actually reveals himself to be quite a confident character. Meanwhile, the main female character (played by Judie Aronson) is the worst character in the entire film. She only cares about herself, is a complete airhead, and always seems to get the main character in trouble just because she's stupid. Weren't the writers worried that it would send the wrong message? Anyway, the film doesn't look that good, and the earlier fight scenes seem quite silly, but later on, the action scenes get better and better, almost as though they saved their energy towards the explosive scene at the end. Overall, it's not the worst movie I've ever seen, but I wouldn't expect too much from this movie. It's a mediocre action movie with a poorly implemented concept.
July 25, 2014
I can't help feeling disappointed with this movie. It's not as impressive as it could have been. To begin with, the title sequence is unimpressive and there's not a lot of build up towards our protagonist before the bland title appears. As for the rest of the movies, I suppose it is a mild pleasure to see ninjas in an actual action movie, but the combat scenes tend to be hit-or-miss and the best action doesn't really come around until the end. The characters don't really do much for me. The main protagonist, Joe, doesn't say anything in his defense when he needs to, and while he may be confident he usually doesn't impress much. The lead female is a rather shallow and airheaded personality who does little but get herself and Joe into trouble, and in the beginning she doesn't seem to realize or care that anyone's saved her life. The best character by far is Jackson just because of how he develops into a real friend. In general the movie has its good moments and I'm convinced that the makers of this movie tried to make a good or at least decent action movie, but for the most part it fails to impress.
April 7, 2014
It's exactly what you think it is.
½ March 6, 2014
Brings back old memories when we watched very bad quality vhs tapes with very bad voicover (good old eastern europe in the 90's). Do not know why, but still can watch the full film anytime, however I know that by martial, directing, shooting and playing point of view this is a bad movie.