America's Sweethearts - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

America's Sweethearts Reviews

½ August 1, 2018
Even though there's some ridicule around and towards the eponymous honesty of elegant realism, it unfolds nicely to further the satisfaction, with brief unexpectancy in the direction, while being sporadically funny and charming from its appealing cast. (B)

(Full review TBD)
½ March 27, 2018
With such an all-star lineup, they should have been able to pull off this movie. Nope. The only thing I liked was seeing John Cusack.
½ February 11, 2018
"America's Sweethearts", released in 2001, is the story of a publicist's attempt to intervene and reconnect an estranged famous couple's relationship at the premiere of their final film together. The movie as a whole made me laugh out loud. It's such a parody of Hollywood and the politics and intricacies of it. It made me think about how contrived and deliberate the media can be and our perceptions of it and who people are. As a whole, the story was interesting. The dialogue was well-written, sharp, and witty. The acting was tremendous, especially that of Hank Azaria and Catherine Zeta-Jones who play the caricaturized and egocentric Hector and Gwen, respectively. To me, the directing was that of a standard romantic comedy. The shots moved through the typical wide shot to medium shot to close-up progression. There was no animation or VFX, however, the lighting and production value overall were great. To me, this romantic comedy was different from others of its genre in that it seemed to choose to poke fun at the romantic relationship dynamics and blow them out of proportion, rather than to turn the film into a mushy gushy easily predictable love story. This is evidenced in that Eddie and Gwen as the main characters do not end up together. In a twist of events, Eddie comes to fall in love with Gwen's sister Keke, and Gwen ends up alone - breaking up with her prior boyfriend Hector by the time the film ends.
December 30, 2017
I really don't get the bad reviews. CZJ is fantastic playing an egomaniacal narcissist. The movie is hilarious, touching, and sufficiently tongue-in-cheek to elicit non-stop laughs. I find it utterly charming and well put-together.
August 22, 2017
(5.0 out of 6 stars)
When we see being in show business involves making every perspectives happy in what they see on and off the camera. When we see that we all have been captivated in what we see and hear about some people that we only want more and more when we know what we are seeing on and off the camera to see who we put in the spotlight. When we see that there is always a business in the what we want people to see when they like seeing things that we know we can turn a profit from. When many we see are involved in making those stars in the spotlight when we all want a piece of the show business pie that keeps us watching, imitating and drawn into the ups did downs that others live that we see ourselves as perfect or unperfect. When there is alot that goes in being swept into the spotlight thst we get into deeply we don't see away out or away back in when it goes wrong when our natural emotions clashes with the unnatural superficiality in what we want but can't have both. When we see that when we get into deep we see in the eyes of those who we once were, humble and unseen that we are able be ourselves and enjoy what's deep within us that made the world like us in the first place. When we see works of art that needs to be seen, show business is only in the hands if those whom can reveal a true spotlight that we don't see but others see that can reveal what we have been seeing all wrong. When we are in a business that makes others see right being all wrong but see we are being wrong in seeing right, we know we can't turn back in what others follow to only accept what others see and what we always could see all along the truth, or continue living a lie when we see some rides are over or just beginning depending on your perspective.
May 25, 2017
A lame attempt of satire. I didn't find it funny at all. It's a low point for all of the actors involved. (First viewing - Summer 2001 in theaters)
April 20, 2017
Despite the negative reviews posted here, my wife and I thought the America's Sweethearts was quite funny and very enjoyable. I'd give it 4 out of 5 stars.
April 3, 2017
Pleasant. Don't ask for much more. John Cusak was wonderful. Billy Crystal,, Julia Roberts good too. Nothing major, but who cares?
February 1, 2017
It's good movie to watch
January 19, 2017
One of my favorite movies for years. Great movie that pokes fun at the hyped up movie star stereo type. Granted this movie may not be for everyone- the humor is satirical and it's not the ideal love story, but the acting is great and the cast really brings the story to life.
January 8, 2017
2017-01-08 good schmo
½ November 17, 2016
Such an annoying movie and somehow this movie felt so wrong.
October 26, 2016
A cute movie. Not a fan of it. Stupid at times.
½ August 28, 2016
Cute, whacky, funny. Billy Crystal and Stanley Tucci steal every scene they are in; they make the movie fun.
June 12, 2016
all i am going to say is Jones and Roberts made for the better couple in this movie.
½ August 28, 2015
I think the cast should did some tequila shots before shooting, they would be more alive than this
August 4, 2015
I've never been a fan of Christopher Walken; but Billy Crystal is a genius. The stars of this film are not John Cusack or Catherine Zeta-Jones, but everyone around them. Billy Crystal spends the film monologuing and skewering the film and celebrity industry. This is early Seth Green, before he really cut loose. Hank Azaria creates another memorable character as The Spaniard. Stanley Tucci is hilarious. So is Alan Arkin. Julia Roberts is endearing as sister Kiki. This is a neurotically wacky comedy.
June 6, 2015
Decent satire and interesting cast choice.
½ February 21, 2015
Two superstars Eddie (Jon Cusack) and Gwen (Catherine Zeta-Jones) were America's Sweethearts. They made movies together, and were married, but now they are split up, and each of them are a mess career wise. The new movie has them in it together, but in order to try to make a box office hit, Billy Crystal is forced to try and get them back together and make movie magic. This movie is trying to be a satire on Hollywood, and how actors and actresses are, but this movie was terrible. A romance starts with Julia Roberts as well for no reason, and this was just a satire on itself and Hollywood garbage.
September 30, 2014
El director Joe Roth ("Revenge Of The Nerds II", "The Animal") dirige este "chick-flick" ambientado en Hollywood, en el que una pareja famosa conformada por una actriz superficial y un actor neurótico (Catherine Zeta Jones y John Cusack) presentan múltiples reticencias para promocionar su ultima película, que a su vez no quiere ser entregada por su director (un excéntrico Christopher Walken). Billy Crystal interpreta al ejecutivo de Hollywood encargado de la promoción de la cinta y Julia Roberts a la hermana de la actriz que en secreto está enamorada del ex-esposo de su hermana (¡Yuk!). "America's Sweethearts" decide dejar de lado los teje-manejes de Hollywood para caer en la ridiculez y patetismo de la comedia romántica tradicional con muchos chistes irregulares y que desperdicia a sus actores.