Anna Karenina - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Anna Karenina Reviews

November 23, 2016
Soundtrack is amazing. Message about love's constant betrayl is interesting.
½ October 29, 2016
The acting and costumes were fantastic!!
October 6, 2016
Ironic that one of our great realist novels is adapted in such a surreal fashion, but the stage fakery works thematically as a representation of the artificial lifestyles Anna and Levin both are reacting against--albeit with very different attitudes.
½ September 18, 2016
I imagine the studio's first thoughts were thus: "A dramatic period piece? Let's call up Keira Knightley to star and Joe Wright to direct. That pairing has never failed before!"
And fail here...you know, it doesn't. Whether this second Knightley/Wright reunion actually succeeds instead is purely a matter of taste, but it's hard to overlook the dynamic nature of the actor-director partnership. Knightley unsurprisingly shines in each scene, and Wright's aptitude for creating engrossing visuals has clearly expanded over the years.
This film is so impeccably cast, it's actually creepy. Of special note, in addition to the luminous Knightley, a barely recognizable Jude Law retreats from his common and notorious "bad boy" image to deliver appropriately subtle work as Knightley's passionless husband. A frequently twirling (yes, really-can't be unseen) Aaron Taylor-Johnson steals most of his scenes not with his words or his movements, but with his hauntingly inscrutable countenance and steely glare. Alicia Vikander and Domhnall Gleeson come together a couple of years before their work on "Ex Machina" to expertly flesh out a love story that would otherwise have become a tedious B plot in the hands of less capable actors. Watching these five on stage in a theatrical version of the novel would be an instant tour de force.
Speaking of the stage, Wright makes a curious choice and takes a leaf out of Rob Marshall's playbook, setting many scenes in a theater. It's a gamble, for sure, and the payoff is interesting; in certain scenes, such as the horse race, the sudden appearance of the proscenium is jarring and all but distracts from the narrative, while several other moments (most notably, Law's brief brown study by the footlights) are expertly complemented by the fourth wall breaks. The real issue is that the theater device isn't consistently used. In "Chicago" and (ugh) "Nine," the musical numbers would be set on the mind's stage, leaving the remainder of the film to occur in ostensibly "real world" environments. "Anna Karenina" is not a musical, but the theater device could have easily been chosen for similar elements such as outdoor scenes, moments of intense emotion, or even the simple scenes representing the humdrum aspects of upper-class society. Wright should have picked one of the above and run with it. Instead, to the film's detriment, the scenes chosen for fourth wall breaks appear to have been mostly random.
I suppose this cinematographic choice is indicative of the hit-and-miss nature (mostly hit) of the film as a whole, really. Wright brought his vision to the table, but in the flurry of movie making, is vision appears to have become muddled.
August 14, 2016
Wish it would have been better.
August 14, 2016
Anna Karenina is a movie about a Russian bride that marries into kinda royalty but then falls in love with an officer /jockey.
Then the story revolves around their forbidden love. The movie is kinda weird as its a movie but its like you are watching a theater piece on the stage.
Although the movie is well told I felt it was a tad too long over 2 hours long.
A dramatic biopic on Anna Karenina life.
So parts was a musical too.
Some parts were dry.
The movie is not for all and the subject matter is for adults as it covers love marriage infidelity divorce.
I leave the choice up to you.
½ August 5, 2016
not my style of movie. it was like a play....it was strange.
August 2, 2016
"Both kinds of love serve a touchstone for men. Some men understand only the one, some only the other. Those who understand only the non-platonic love need not speak of tragedy. For such love there can be no tragedy. "Thank you kindly for the pleasure, good bye," and that's the whole tragedy. And for the platonic love there can be no tragedy either, because there everything is clear and pure"
½ June 13, 2016
another lost review-grr
June 6, 2016
Keira Knightly, whom I've always thought of as average, did an amazing job in this tragic Russian tale. The film had so much clever symbolism that I had to watch it back just to take it all in. The set was phenomenal. If nothing else, watch it for the great cinematography and artistry displayed in the film!
½ May 27, 2016
Alicia Vikander is a vision.
April 3, 2016
This looked more interesting then it was a bit of a disappointment for me
½ March 22, 2016
I can see why a lot of people wouldn't like the highly stylized nature of this film, but I for one enjoyed it and thought it added an interesting element to the movie. It probably helps that I've never read the book so nothing was "ruined" for me; I saw the film as an independent piece. The acting was very good, especially from Jude Law and Domnhall Gleeskn, and again, the "artsy" part was a positive for me. I felt it was a bit long and parts a bit boring.
March 13, 2016
I'm not sure any movie could do the book justice, to be fair.
March 5, 2016
A ravishing, romantic epic, visualizing happiness, love and matters of the heart through a lens of wondrously exhilarating artifice.
February 24, 2016
Amazing visuals, great acting. Difficult to sit through, however, for this viewer. (Basically, I prefer Tolstoy's later, minimalist, existential works.)
February 3, 2016
What a bunch of bollocks. If you went to see this in the cinema you probably got a good value for money as this two hours super boring film drags for what feels like 4 hours. Totally unlike able characters, confusing storylines and uninteresting heroes over all this was a waste of time ...
January 31, 2016
Gorgeous costume design and cinematography. The film makes an interesting stylistic choice by having the majority of the film take place inside of a theater. That being said, the story itself felt rather dull and repetitive. We've seen similar stories told before to much greater effect.
January 15, 2016
This film explores various themes of love, and does so very well. Not bogged down in the various plot-lines, it's pace snaps by with ease.

Aaron Johnson and Keira Knightley put in great performances and sizzle with such chemistry when on screen together.

The inventive stage setting has been done before, but this is played out in a way like no other film maker than Joe Wright. Majestic scenes, beautiful lighting and elegant choreography remind us that film is as much an art form than any other medium.

Stunning, lavish and very well acted. All you would want from a costume drama