Apocalypse Now - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Apocalypse Now Reviews

January 9, 2017
Perhaps the ultimate movie about the madness of war and the Vietnam War in particular, Apocalypse Now still makes for disturbing and at times darkly comedic viewing. There are so many iconic sequences in this movie. I suppose everyone thinks of the lunatic, surfing obsessed, Colonel Kilgore and his "Ride of the Valkyries" accompanying bombing raid but that's just one of a plethora gobsmacking moments. The movie is famously based on the Conrad novel Heart of Darkness that was set in the steaming jungles of the Belgian Congo and concerns the search for a rogue ivory trader. The basic plot fits so well with the latter days of the US-Vietnam conflict with a young, disillusioned army officer despatched to track down a mad Colonel who has been waging his own war on the Cambodian boarders. Much of the action takes place on a small US Navy boat heading up-stream and has a claustrophobic, hallucinatory feel to it. The journey is punctuated by landings at various stations along the way, each more unreal than the last as civilisation is left further and further behind. All the time, the spectre of the dangerous warlord, Colonel Kurtz, hangs over the crew like some dark shadow. Martin Sheen leads in the role of the war-weary Captain Willard and it is a role he will forever be remembered for. Colonel Kilgore is Robert Duval, a scarily young-looking Laurence Fishburne has a significant part as Clean and Dennis Hopper plays a photographer who has taken too much acid and come under the thrall of Kurtz. There are also bit parts for Scott Glenn and Harrison Ford. However, the most famous piece of casting is that of Kurtz himself. The role is played by Marlon Brando and, though he appears for a relatively short amount of time, often hidden in the shadows, so dominant is the presence of the character and so carefully is his appearance built-up, that you can't help but be mesmerised by him. This movie still has many scenes that are difficult to watch but for me it is Francis Ford Coppola's finest movie and hasn't dated one bit.
January 6, 2017
An excellent adaption of the Heart of Darkness, a story captured within one of the greatest movies of all time.
½ January 6, 2017
"Apocalypse now" is not a movie about the Vietnam war as everyone says, "apocalypse now" is a film that goes on during the Vietnam War, Yes, it's different. The 1970s is where Francis Ford Coppola is at the height of his creativity and genius, and in "apocalypse now" you notice all the noises of greatness of the director, we perceive the constant cuts and how difficult it was to make this film, but in the End was worth it. Here we have the story of Captain Willard (Martin Sheen) who is agonized in ostracism about to be tried for murder when he receives a mission, travel to the extreme jungles of Cambodia to kill Colonel Kurtz (Marlon Brando), a man who goes crazy when he feels Power in your hands, the script sounds good, and even simple, but it has an incredible depth, thanks also to the more than three hours of movies, which at certain times even get a little boring, but at no time do you want to fidget or catch The phone, because Coppola presents us with an incredible, smoky, hot, wild and somber photograph, "apocalypse now" arguably has one of the best photographs I've seen in movies, along with his soundtrack that mixes classical music with pop and Very well the music scene of the 60s, with various sub intrigues, during the course of our journey we know many characters, all have their importance and show the irreverence and cruelty of this war, and the performances are great, nothing great. The weaknesses are for continuity errors not only in the script but as in the movie edition, but the film is so great that we understand it.
½ December 28, 2016
A group of soldiers are sent into the jungles to hunt down a military leader. As they make it closer, they have to fight through different enemies and hazards. Like "2001: A Space Oddysey" this is more of an experience type of film. You experience it from the beginning to the end. It's superbly acted and it's expertly filmed. It has a fascinating and suspenseful story. The ending is brilliant and it proves that not all war films have to have explosions for the final act. It's a calm but moving scene and it fits the movie well. This is quite possibly the most creative war film ever made. It's visually stunning from beginning to end and it does a great job capturing the ugliness of war. The only reason it doesn't get a 5 is because I would've liked a bit more action. This 1 scene near the beginning was impressive but several more of them I felt were over before they even started. So some parts were a bit slow for me. Still, this is still an outstanding effort and it's still one of the best movies of the 70's.
December 25, 2016
Apocalypse Now is a movie that seems to fall apart as it goes along, ironically much like the main character. The opening, while odd, is when the movie is at it's best and sustains that for half it's run length but due to it's formidable length it can't hold itself for too long. The action is exhilarating but the ending is unsatisfactory and not level with the highs of the first and second acts. Still, Rise of the Valkyries is pretty awesome.

B
November 29, 2016
This is garbage. It's way too long, tells a very simple story but meanders often. Half of the dialogue is impossible to decipher with either loud helicopters or thick French accents obscuring the spoken lines. And the story is beyond stupid. Army hires assassin to go up river and assassinate rogue, enigmatic colonel gone mad. The film takes forever to get there, and the protagonist just takes his boat right up to the madman's encampment where he is promptly captured, interrogated, tortured, and broken. What kind of plan was that? Didn't try sneaking into the camp at night or something? Do a little recon? And the actors were no better. Sheen just stares blankly most of the time and Brando is just boring. The mates on the boat were the only thing mildly entertaining but they're not given much to do. I am truly shocked this movie is well thought of. Utter trash.
½ November 22, 2016
As I've gotten older, I have started to recognize that there are a number of ideas and themes that Coppola never quite brings into focus, especially in the anti-climatic ending. That being said I'm still in awe of the scope of the the production and, despite my quibbles, there are some perfectly realized sequences.
November 22, 2016
I was confused by the ending but this was a true horror story showing the descent into madness of soldiers.
½ November 15, 2016
70's war movies are not very good
November 14, 2016
If Saving Private Ryan showed the horrific acts in World War II, then Apocalypse Now shows the horrors of the Vietnam War. Granted, I've never seen Platoon, The Deer Hunter or Full Metal Jacket but many people claim that this is the best war film ever made. In film school, we studied this film in Sound Design class, and for good reason. This film is one of the best aesthetically made films ever. Every shot looks fantastic and the sounds of the helicopters flying with that creepy score are really chilling and terrifying. Although this movie can be really slow, I kept finding myself eager to find out what happens next. For me personally, I prefer Saving Private Ryan because I felt more invested in the characters and story but Apocalypse Now should be on every filmmakers 'Must Watch List' just because of how well it looks and sounds.
November 14, 2016
Coppola's Apocalypse Now is like the good wine: the older, the better...
October 27, 2016
The struggle of watching a film that is lauded as one of the greatest of all time is that it is almost destined to disappoint. Apocalypse Now is definitely one of those films and, while I can see why people love it, I didn't adore it as much as they do. I can clearly see that there was a lot of high-quality craft that went into the making of this film. It has some superb acting performances, the visuals are astounding, and the entire third act is remarkable. There are moments in the first two acts that I was impressed with (particularly the part with Robert Duvall, who blew me away.) But there is a lot of slow build in Apocalypse Now. It's tough when you start a movie with "Go find this guy and kill him" and then you don't actually meet the target face-to-face until more than three-quarters of the film has passed. I think this is by design because we're supposed to be impacted by the devastating futility of the war so that we can understand why Brando is behaving like a mad man, but it makes the pace appear overly sluggish. When they finally reach the end of the river and the climactic scenes start it is 100% enthralling. So many of the images were breathtaking and iconic, plus the conversations between Brando and Sheen are awesome. If they had been able to maintain that level of intensity throughout the film then it would grip me more thoroughly. Unfortunately, because of some of the pacing issues and the long runtime Apocalypse Now is a film that I respect more than I enjoy.
October 15, 2016
Really long and really not good. Anyone that says differently is trying to appear artsy or like a film connoisseur.
October 7, 2016
One of the best war films ever, Apocalypse Now is an amazing film that takes time to develop it's characters and it takes time to show you what real war is.
September 29, 2016
A brilliantly brutal insight into the sheer madness of the Vietnam War.
½ September 19, 2016
Exquisitely crafted, but just not my kind of film.
September 15, 2016
We usually see movies as an opportunity to escape to a place we have never been. A place we would rather be. Coppola denies that concept by kidnapping the viewer in his hellish world of Apocalypse Now. It is a horrifying look into the depravity, bloodlust, and insanity that lives within each of us. Between painfully believable acting and grotesquely gorgeous filmography, Apocalypse Now deserves a place among the greatest films of all time. Maybe the first place.
September 7, 2016
Still aesthetically shocking in 2016, "Apocalypse Now" is a work of intense and sprawling artistic power and ambition.
½ September 5, 2016
Mesmerizing and absolutely stunning- each frame demands so much attention you feel like you missed out half the film when you are done. Which demands rewatching.
August 25, 2016
Enjoyed the first two thirds of the movie more than the final third, but it was still very well done and well acted. Fat Brando is always nice, too.