Apocalypse Now - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Apocalypse Now Reviews

May 21, 2017
Grade - B+
Magnificent cinematography, fantastic direction and interesting themes make 'Apocalypse Now' a thought-provoking slice of cinema; even if it is ultimately a tad too long.
May 1, 2017
One of those films I felt I had to watch since it's considered such a classic but then I switched off halfway through as it had completely failed to make me care about anything that happens in it.
April 21, 2017
An epic Vietnam war movie loosely based on Conrad's "Heart of Darkness". Episodic, with the best scenes close to unrivalled in cinema, and the missteps still fascinating. A visually ravishing, impressionist exploration of the folly of Vietnam and the futility of war in general. The ending featuring Marlon Brando doesn't quite work but it doesn't sink the film either. Apocalypse Now always sets me thinking about my favourite poser on the nature of movies. Which is better; a heroically ambitious, magnificently executed but flawed film or a more tightly focussed, competent movie that has few or no weaknesses?
½ April 18, 2017
Cinematically one of the best military movies period. The screen play the acting the realism. Nearly perfect but bits and pieces drag.
April 5, 2017
Visceral, enthralling, flawless.
April 4, 2017
A group of soldiers are sent into the jungles to hunt down a military leader. As they make it closer, they have to fight through different enemies and hazards. Like "2001: A Space Oddysey" this is more of an experience type of film. You experience it from the beginning to the end. It's superbly acted and it's expertly filmed. It has a fascinating and suspenseful story. The ending is brilliant and it proves that not all war films have to have explosions for the final act. It's a calm but moving scene and it fits the movie well. This is quite possibly the most creative war film ever made. It's visually stunning from beginning to end and it does a great job capturing the ugliness of war. The only reason it doesn't get a 5 is because I would've liked a bit more action. This 1 scene near the beginning was impressive but several more of them I felt were over before they even started. So some parts were a bit slow for me. Still, this is still an outstanding effort and it's still one of the best movies of the 70's.
½ March 15, 2017
A good movie but too long for 2017.
½ March 14, 2017
Marlon Brando did not show up until the last 40 minutes of the movie or so and he appeared to be a terrifying soul thanks to the excellent cinematography. I love how hilarious Robert Duvall was in it and the very young Martin Sheen had a resemblance to David Tennant! Martin Sheen was convincing when doing narratives. It is one of a cluster of late 1970s movies on the Vietnam War and Apocalypse Now is goooood!
February 24, 2017
An incredible film that immerses you into the mind of a man with PTSD. From the dazzling cinematography to the intriguing dialogue this movie succeeds in creating a mysterious atmosphere and building suspense very well. An excellent portrayal of war and the madness that comes with it.
February 21, 2017
I love the smell of napalm in the morning. I also love Apocalypse Now. Classic movie.
February 21, 2017
Apocalypse Now is very very good film. This means war i given to 100%! My Favourite 1979 film ever!
February 18, 2017
Best war film and one of the best films of not the best film ever made
February 11, 2017
A decent, yet important film that contains a hair-raisingly excellent Brando performance.
February 7, 2017
Horrific, nightmarish depiction of Vietnam finds Martin Sheen hunting down an AWOL general through sweaty jungle while dodging incessant bombing and gunfire. Visually confronting and brutal in its depiction of the conflict and the mental anguish and torment on those who took part in it.
February 1, 2017
Apocalypse Now is a beautiful film with strong performances at every turn, that possibly have been trimmed down a tad.
January 30, 2017
One of the true masterpeices of all time. Apocalypse Now brings a stellar cast to terrifying places and produces art in its purest form.
½ January 23, 2017
Apocalypse Now is one of the greatest movies of all time. A great Vietnam war film with great performances, less about the horrors in the trenches and more about the horrors of the soul.
January 21, 2017
Apocalypse Now is a true work of art showcasing the Vietnam War as a dark, haunting experience with a cast that feel very realistic in a way
January 17, 2017
I can still recall -- as a high-schooler in Hawaii -- seeing an advertisement in the Los Angeles Times' Calendar section for an unfinished screening of this film (white lettering on black background) -- and how much I wished I were living in "the mainland" because (back in those days) films hit Hawaii weeks (even months) after making their openings in California or New York (even the mainland newspapers arrived days (even weeks) late!). I was such a dreamer in those days....
January 9, 2017
Perhaps the ultimate movie about the madness of war and the Vietnam War in particular, Apocalypse Now still makes for disturbing and at times darkly comedic viewing. There are so many iconic sequences in this movie. I suppose everyone thinks of the lunatic, surfing obsessed, Colonel Kilgore and his "Ride of the Valkyries" accompanying bombing raid but that's just one of a plethora gobsmacking moments. The movie is famously based on the Conrad novel Heart of Darkness that was set in the steaming jungles of the Belgian Congo and concerns the search for a rogue ivory trader. The basic plot fits so well with the latter days of the US-Vietnam conflict with a young, disillusioned army officer despatched to track down a mad Colonel who has been waging his own war on the Cambodian boarders. Much of the action takes place on a small US Navy boat heading up-stream and has a claustrophobic, hallucinatory feel to it. The journey is punctuated by landings at various stations along the way, each more unreal than the last as civilisation is left further and further behind. All the time, the spectre of the dangerous warlord, Colonel Kurtz, hangs over the crew like some dark shadow. Martin Sheen leads in the role of the war-weary Captain Willard and it is a role he will forever be remembered for. Colonel Kilgore is Robert Duval, a scarily young-looking Laurence Fishburne has a significant part as Clean and Dennis Hopper plays a photographer who has taken too much acid and come under the thrall of Kurtz. There are also bit parts for Scott Glenn and Harrison Ford. However, the most famous piece of casting is that of Kurtz himself. The role is played by Marlon Brando and, though he appears for a relatively short amount of time, often hidden in the shadows, so dominant is the presence of the character and so carefully is his appearance built-up, that you can't help but be mesmerised by him. This movie still has many scenes that are difficult to watch but for me it is Francis Ford Coppola's finest movie and hasn't dated one bit.