Apocalypse Now - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Apocalypse Now Reviews

July 23, 2016
An absolute masterpiece. Having just enjoyed Band of Brothers´s conventional warfare during the WWII, Apocalypse Now gave me an entirely new experience by visiting the insane jungle and guerrilla warfare in Vietnam. Despite the obviously choreographed chaos for spectacular effects visually, sound wise, the horrors of war in Vietnam is many times darker and more gruesome. While WW2 was still still a time of segregation and the army was white, we see many black soldiers in the Vietnam war reminding us that time has moved forward. While soldiers fought with more purpose in WW2, the GIs during the Vietnam war fought aimlessly against chaos, madness, darkness and without redemption. Unlike WW2, the so called enemy ´gooks´did not wear recognisable uniforms and therefore cannot be differentiated from civilians. Consequently, indiscriminate killing of civilians resulted in extreme human tragedy and turning the US soldiers into unforgivable demons. The question of ´why why why were the US soldiers in Vietnam fighting who we would not consider any enemy today´. The movie was a great display of American brazen stupidity and arrogant display of their gross atrocity against the indigenous natives who they massacred indiscriminately. Anchoring this awesome film was the giant Marlon Brando. His greater than life persona commanded undivided attention in the last 30 minutes of the movie. I have no idea why Martin would Kill Marlon even after acquainting himself with a man who lost faith in the US army for all the atrocities he had witnessed and experienced. Where trigger happy men have gone berserk with fear and command and control had broken down.
July 19, 2016
A group of soldiers are sent into the jungles to hunt down a military leader. As they make it closer, they have to fight through different enemies and hazards. Like "2001: A Space Oddysey" this is more of an experience type of film. You experience it from the beginning to the end. It's superbly acted and it's expertly filmed. It has a fascinating and suspenseful story. The ending is brilliant and it proves that not all war films have to have explosions for the final act. It's a calm but moving scene and it fits the movie well. This is quite possibly the most creative war film ever made. It's visually stunning from beginning to end and it does a great job capturing the ugliness of war. The only reason it doesn't get a 5 is because I would've liked a bit more action. This 1 scene near the beginning was impressive but several more of them I felt were over before they even started. So some parts were a bit slow for me. Still, this is still an outstanding effort and it's still one of the best movies of the 70's.
July 18, 2016
Some good explosions, but this Vietnam take on "Heart of Darkness" needs serious trimming.
July 18, 2016
Pure bliss. This is what moviemaking is about. This is how to funnel feelings and emotion onto the silver screen. The result is a breathtaking cinematic journey almost unrivaled in modern times. There is so much to say,but no doubt already said. So i will just say if you have not,go watch it now.
July 16, 2016
Coppola's epic masterpiece is a Vietnam War version of Conrad's classic Heart of Darkness, Apocalypse Now is a frightening and incredible odyssey into the darkness of the human soul. Captain Willard is assigned a classified mission to travel up the Nung River in order to assassinate renegade Col. Kurtz who has gone insane, further drifting away from human rationale the further his crew drifts upstream. Breathtaking sequences with engrossing and awe-inspiring cinematography pre-dating Avatar redeem the film's murky and rather weak ending.
July 10, 2016
I have to say I didn't really understand this movie...or maybe that is the point. At the point in the movie where they began traveling up the river to find Col. Kurtz (Marlon Brando), it became like a 2 hour hallucination. It didn't seem to have a meaning or purpose, which very well may be the point. I guess one could interpret this as an absurdist look at the intersection of war, technology and messianic worship. If it was trying to get a message across though I missed it. As a piece of film making I see why it is regarded as a classic. I may have to give it some time to sink in, then watch it again.
July 9, 2016
Dark, complex and a bit paranoic. If we mis this with Coppola's directing and the excellent acting and story, we get this cinema masterpiece
July 8, 2016
Apocalypse Now is not just a war film its "The" war film. I don't think there will ever be another war film like it. everything is great in this movie the acting,visuals,sound, and even the chilling soundtrack.
July 2, 2016
The Horror... The Horror
June 30, 2016
American cinema classic
June 29, 2016
Had been a very long time since i had seen this flick. So much so that i had forgotten and not realized that it also had roles for a very young Harrison Ford, Scott, Glenn, and Lawrence Fishburne to which i almost did not recognize them. Story is about a soldier (Martin Sheen) who does a lot of special assignments including classified assassinations during the Vietnam war. While waiting in Saigon he is brought in by the higher ups to search out and kill a commander (Brando) who has lost his sanity and gone rogue in the Vietnam/Columbia jungles. Very stylized with great visuals and music this is certainly one of the very best that Coppola has to offer and has not aged at all. Great great movie.

10/10
Shane Sackman
June 16, 2016
Excellent camera work, an impeccably chosen sound track and legendary performances make for one of the greatest war epics of all time. Apocalypse Now captures the madness and terror of war and the darker elements of our existence, perhaps most perfectly in any scene not directly dealing with combat. The simple hunt for a surfing spot or the bizarre USO show scenes are more rattling than the movie's visceral gory moments. A viewer is inescapably left with a deep sense of unease and confusion throughout this film.

The excellent Marlon Brando delivers a captivating and, evidently, mostly unscripted performance. He steals the final third of the movie. At every moment there is an engrossing sense of confusion, angst and simmering anger, all the essential ingredients of insanity. Col Kurtz crossed a line somewhere in his journey through combat from which he cannot return. War provides the canvass and catalyst for Col Kurtz to see the remarkable humbling reality of how precariously close we all sit to falling into the "horror".

Seldom is a film so brilliant it cannot really be adequately summarized in words, Apocalypse Now is such a film. When you walk away after your first viewing, you cannot help but feel that you witnessed a crowning artistic achievement. Perhaps the subject matter of madness in war is what keeps this film so illusory and mystifying, yet, make no mistake, it is truly excellent.
June 7, 2016
People say that Apocalypse Now is the movies with most mistakes on history of cinema, well, I don't agree with that at all because I haven't seen absolutely anything wrong in such a perfect movie. Arguably the greatest Vietnam War film of all time, Apocalypse is an emotional, haunting, atmospheric vision of war, one of the greatest cast of all time is united in it making this movie one of the most well acted films in cinema history, Francis Ford Coppola proves in here that he's next to Kubrick in the all time best directors list by amazingly shooting what I can call, the best movie of all time.
June 5, 2016
war film masterpiece
½ June 4, 2016
Con respecto a la estética, creo que esta es mi película favorita de todos los tiempos. Pense que con Saving Private Ryan había visto todo con respecto al genero bélico, nunca pude estar tan equivocado. Se siente que la película dura tres horas pero no se siente densa. Lo mejor de la película es su estética-poética, uno inconscientemente trata de procesar todo ese discurso de Brando y de encontrarte algún sentido filosófico, y para ayudar a este juego mental nos acompaña una fotografía y un manejo de luces y sombras verdaderamente increíble.
Sin exagerar quede hipnotizado. Pense que la fotografía era perfecta en la primer hora y media de la película, con todos esos helicópteros y explosiones, pero por dios, la ultima hora de este película es una pintura contada por maestros detrás de una cámara, los últimos 20 minutos no me dejaron pestaña, para colmo los subtitulo estaban atrasados y sin embargo mi cerebro ya estaba consumido por querer prestar atencion.
Me gustaría que con el tiempo esta película se vuelva de mis favoritas, nunca fui muy fanático del cine bélico, pero esta película es otra categoría, la tenia pendiente desde hace un tiempo y no me defraudo en lo mas mínimo, obra maestra por donde se la mire.
04/06/16 - 04:28 a.m
May 31, 2016
One of the greatest movies ever made, and my favorite of Coppola's even above The Godfather Part II.
May 26, 2016
The greatest war movie ever made. Bar none.
May 14, 2016
One of the most intense and disturbing films I've ever seen. Incredible cast and direction. The cinematography is unbelievable. You see the true effects of war here and by the end of the film, you may start to question your own sanity.
½ May 2, 2016
Never seen the original, but after "redux" I wouldn't want to. Some of the most boring, unrealistic bs I've ever seen. Can't believe I wasted over 3 hours of my life with this movie, and can never get it back. Sheen was the only good thing about it, couldn't even stand the young Fishburne's character. Never waste time on another Coppola movie.