Apocalypse Now - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Apocalypse Now Reviews

February 24, 2017
An incredible film that immerses you into the mind of a man with PTSD. From the dazzling cinematography to the intriguing dialogue this movie succeeds in creating a mysterious atmosphere and building suspense very well. An excellent portrayal of war and the madness that comes with it.
February 21, 2017
I love the smell of napalm in the morning. I also love Apocalypse Now. Classic movie.
February 21, 2017
Apocalypse Now is very very good film. This means war i given to 100%! My Favourite 1979 film ever!
February 18, 2017
Best war film and one of the best films of not the best film ever made
February 11, 2017
A decent, yet important film that contains a hair-raisingly excellent Brando performance.
February 7, 2017
Horrific, nightmarish depiction of Vietnam finds Martin Sheen hunting down an AWOL general through sweaty jungle while dodging incessant bombing and gunfire. Visually confronting and brutal in its depiction of the conflict and the mental anguish and torment on those who took part in it.
February 1, 2017
Apocalypse Now is a beautiful film with strong performances at every turn, that possibly have been trimmed down a tad.
January 30, 2017
One of the true masterpeices of all time. Apocalypse Now brings a stellar cast to terrifying places and produces art in its purest form.
½ January 23, 2017
Apocalypse Now is one of the greatest movies of all time. A great Vietnam war film with great performances, less about the horrors in the trenches and more about the horrors of the soul.
January 21, 2017
Apocalypse Now is a true work of art showcasing the Vietnam War as a dark, haunting experience with a cast that feel very realistic in a way
January 17, 2017
I can still recall -- as a high-schooler in Hawaii -- seeing an advertisement in the Los Angeles Times' Calendar section for an unfinished screening of this film (white lettering on black background) -- and how much I wished I were living in "the mainland" because (back in those days) films hit Hawaii weeks (even months) after making their openings in California or New York (even the mainland newspapers arrived days (even weeks) late!). I was such a dreamer in those days....
January 9, 2017
Perhaps the ultimate movie about the madness of war and the Vietnam War in particular, Apocalypse Now still makes for disturbing and at times darkly comedic viewing. There are so many iconic sequences in this movie. I suppose everyone thinks of the lunatic, surfing obsessed, Colonel Kilgore and his "Ride of the Valkyries" accompanying bombing raid but that's just one of a plethora gobsmacking moments. The movie is famously based on the Conrad novel Heart of Darkness that was set in the steaming jungles of the Belgian Congo and concerns the search for a rogue ivory trader. The basic plot fits so well with the latter days of the US-Vietnam conflict with a young, disillusioned army officer despatched to track down a mad Colonel who has been waging his own war on the Cambodian boarders. Much of the action takes place on a small US Navy boat heading up-stream and has a claustrophobic, hallucinatory feel to it. The journey is punctuated by landings at various stations along the way, each more unreal than the last as civilisation is left further and further behind. All the time, the spectre of the dangerous warlord, Colonel Kurtz, hangs over the crew like some dark shadow. Martin Sheen leads in the role of the war-weary Captain Willard and it is a role he will forever be remembered for. Colonel Kilgore is Robert Duval, a scarily young-looking Laurence Fishburne has a significant part as Clean and Dennis Hopper plays a photographer who has taken too much acid and come under the thrall of Kurtz. There are also bit parts for Scott Glenn and Harrison Ford. However, the most famous piece of casting is that of Kurtz himself. The role is played by Marlon Brando and, though he appears for a relatively short amount of time, often hidden in the shadows, so dominant is the presence of the character and so carefully is his appearance built-up, that you can't help but be mesmerised by him. This movie still has many scenes that are difficult to watch but for me it is Francis Ford Coppola's finest movie and hasn't dated one bit.
January 6, 2017
An excellent adaption of the Heart of Darkness, a story captured within one of the greatest movies of all time.
½ January 6, 2017
"Apocalypse now" is not a movie about the Vietnam war as everyone says, "apocalypse now" is a film that goes on during the Vietnam War, Yes, it's different. The 1970s is where Francis Ford Coppola is at the height of his creativity and genius, and in "apocalypse now" you notice all the noises of greatness of the director, we perceive the constant cuts and how difficult it was to make this film, but in the End was worth it. Here we have the story of Captain Willard (Martin Sheen) who is agonized in ostracism about to be tried for murder when he receives a mission, travel to the extreme jungles of Cambodia to kill Colonel Kurtz (Marlon Brando), a man who goes crazy when he feels Power in your hands, the script sounds good, and even simple, but it has an incredible depth, thanks also to the more than three hours of movies, which at certain times even get a little boring, but at no time do you want to fidget or catch The phone, because Coppola presents us with an incredible, smoky, hot, wild and somber photograph, "apocalypse now" arguably has one of the best photographs I've seen in movies, along with his soundtrack that mixes classical music with pop and Very well the music scene of the 60s, with various sub intrigues, during the course of our journey we know many characters, all have their importance and show the irreverence and cruelty of this war, and the performances are great, nothing great. The weaknesses are for continuity errors not only in the script but as in the movie edition, but the film is so great that we understand it.
½ December 28, 2016
A group of soldiers are sent into the jungles to hunt down a military leader. As they make it closer, they have to fight through different enemies and hazards. Like "2001: A Space Oddysey" this is more of an experience type of film. You experience it from the beginning to the end. It's superbly acted and it's expertly filmed. It has a fascinating and suspenseful story. The ending is brilliant and it proves that not all war films have to have explosions for the final act. It's a calm but moving scene and it fits the movie well. This is quite possibly the most creative war film ever made. It's visually stunning from beginning to end and it does a great job capturing the ugliness of war. The only reason it doesn't get a 5 is because I would've liked a bit more action. This 1 scene near the beginning was impressive but several more of them I felt were over before they even started. So some parts were a bit slow for me. Still, this is still an outstanding effort and it's still one of the best movies of the 70's.
December 25, 2016
Apocalypse Now is a movie that seems to fall apart as it goes along, ironically much like the main character. The opening, while odd, is when the movie is at it's best and sustains that for half it's run length but due to it's formidable length it can't hold itself for too long. The action is exhilarating but the ending is unsatisfactory and not level with the highs of the first and second acts. Still, Rise of the Valkyries is pretty awesome.

B
November 29, 2016
This is garbage. It's way too long, tells a very simple story but meanders often. Half of the dialogue is impossible to decipher with either loud helicopters or thick French accents obscuring the spoken lines. And the story is beyond stupid. Army hires assassin to go up river and assassinate rogue, enigmatic colonel gone mad. The film takes forever to get there, and the protagonist just takes his boat right up to the madman's encampment where he is promptly captured, interrogated, tortured, and broken. What kind of plan was that? Didn't try sneaking into the camp at night or something? Do a little recon? And the actors were no better. Sheen just stares blankly most of the time and Brando is just boring. The mates on the boat were the only thing mildly entertaining but they're not given much to do. I am truly shocked this movie is well thought of. Utter trash.
½ November 22, 2016
As I've gotten older, I have started to recognize that there are a number of ideas and themes that Coppola never quite brings into focus, especially in the anti-climatic ending. That being said I'm still in awe of the scope of the the production and, despite my quibbles, there are some perfectly realized sequences.
November 22, 2016
I was confused by the ending but this was a true horror story showing the descent into madness of soldiers.
½ November 15, 2016