Apocalypse Now - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Apocalypse Now Reviews

½ April 12, 2018
a powerful, harrowing masterpiece about the often unpredictable and seductive effects of war. memorable acting by sheen and brando, and the haunting helicopter assault, remains anxiously in your mind long after it has ended.
April 1, 2018
one of the best movies about the war in vietnam and although he had a very difficult shoot that at least ended up winning the golden palm
March 30, 2018
Essential cinema in the making, Francis Ford Coppola's stone-cold masterpiece of a film traps you in a hallucinatory journey of epic proportions, with stunning performances from Martin Sheen and Marlon Brando, a thought-provoking script, and stunning visuals not only help solidify this film as the best Vietnam War film, but one of cinema's finest achievements.
March 21, 2018
Kurtz monologue on horror is so fucking amazing.
½ March 11, 2018
Masterfully shot and directed... Francis ford coppola's "apocalypse now" is a haunting, cinematic masterpiece that takes us into the madness of war. The use of color and lighting is so unique and visually stunning that you can't keep your eyes away from the screen. A film that should be celebrated for inventing new ways on how to shoot a scene.
March 6, 2018
Incredible film. beautifully disturbing.
February 17, 2018
Compelling and a classic. 1001 movies to see before you die.
February 12, 2018
Not as unbelievable a Vietnam War movie as the Deer Hunter was but still kinda far fetched. However this still doesn't take away from its vision as a retelling of the Heart of Darkness story. Great cast, sound track, and many memorable quotes and scenes. DO NOT bother watching the Redux version since it adds several unnecessary scenes that side track the story and alter your perception of the character of CPT Willard.
½ February 4, 2018
A brilliantly brutal insight into the sheer madness of the Vietnam War.
½ January 27, 2018
A disturbing film, but a poignant character study and a brilliant depiction of the horrors of the Vietnam War... I loved it!
January 23, 2018
An overwhelmingly detailed movie which represents the craziness and horrors of the Vietnam War, Apocalypse Now is by far one of the best war movies to ever exist, and isn't a war movie.
January 18, 2018
Fascinating. A lot of people talk about its thrilling nature when regarding Apocalypse Now, but its a lot more than that. Among some of the most famous war scenes in film history, this movie is textured with an evocative imagination that seeps into you, leaving us with a fascinating experience of a man sinking into the forest centered around the idea of a single man. Regardless of where the realism lies in this movie, its ability to take us into the jungle alongside Captain Benjamin Willard is awe-inspiring.
January 13, 2018
I'm not sure what else I could add that hasn't already been said on 800+ audience reviews, except that I've been reading Dispatches by Michael Herr and some of the scenes in the movie seem to be taken from his accounts as a correspondent (I found out later the narration was written by Herr). The film seems realistic enough in parts, veterans of the war will say some of the battles are much like how they were (and that the USO show was spot on). Heart of Darkness combined with Dispatches seems about right. As it turns out, there's a retired Australian officer Barry Petersen who was just about a real-life Colonel Kurtz. Having had experience in Malaysia with the mountain tribes, the CIA took him on to lead the Montagnards against the Vietcong, similar to Kurtz. "By 1965, (Petersen) had fostered, according to his CIA bosses, a 'personality cult'." However when the CIA asked Petersen to step down, he did, avoiding the fate of Kurtz.
I've also watched Redux, the original is much better in my opinion!
½ January 12, 2018
From the begin to the end
½ December 29, 2017
Promising start to a movie that runs way too long and goes nowhere. I have yet to be able to stay awake until the end.
December 21, 2017
One of the most visionary and audacious films ever made, APOCALYPSE NOW is a brilliant and poetic journey into a state of mind. There is no denying what Francis Coppola has achieved here- all the money, the stress and difficulties of the crazy production of this film was in my opinion worth it- because he has made one of the great cinematic masterpieces of all time. He has not made a better film since; few, if any have.
December 21, 2017
A cinematic masterwork which takes a unrivaled narrative turn when our protagonist is no longer capable of guiding leaving us to complete the primitive journey alone.
½ December 16, 2017
A group of soldiers are sent into the jungles to hunt down a military leader. As they make it closer, they have to fight through different enemies and hazards. Like "2001: A Space Oddysey" this is more of an experience type of film. You experience it from the beginning to the end. It's superbly acted and it's expertly filmed. It has a fascinating and suspenseful story. The ending is brilliant and it proves that not all war films have to have explosions for the final act. It's a calm but moving scene and it fits the movie well. This is quite possibly the most creative war film ever made. It's visually stunning from beginning to end and it does a great job capturing the ugliness of war. The only reason it doesn't get a 5 is because I would've liked a bit more action. This 1 scene near the beginning was impressive but several more of them I felt were over before they even started. So some parts were a bit slow for me. Still, this is still an outstanding effort and it's still one of the best movies of the 70's.
December 3, 2017
Wow, this movie sticks with you..
November 23, 2017
One of the most powerful journeys ever explored in film. Where 2001: A Space Odyssey takes us on a cerebral ride into our humanity and the universe itself, Apocalypse Now takes us into ourselves, searching for depths that were not meant to be seen, unmasking the primal evil that exists inside all of us.