Apocalypse Now - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Apocalypse Now Reviews

July 16, 2017
I bought it because of the classic status thinking it would be like full metal jacket but it wasn't even close. The only thing decent was the little time Robert Duval has on screen, most everything else is rather forgettable and makes like sense.
½ July 13, 2017
I can't stress enough that this is no doubt one of the greatest made films of all time. Everything is top notch from the directing, to the cinematography, to the acting, to the music. It is all truly some of the best you will ever see. The first two acts had me completely mind blown. Robert Duval plays the ultimate BA, Lt. Col. Kilgore, he may one of the coolest and loony characters I have ever met. This is no doubt Martin Sheen's greatest performance. I have never seen him get so deep into a character the way he does as Capt. Willard. This movie is emotional and is filled with tension throughout. The third act however is for me where the movie took a turn I wasn't expecting. It got really slow and Marlon Brando as the insane Col. Kurtz was just not what I expected him to be. Overall though this is one of the greatest films of all time and will continue to be apart of our pop culture for a long long time!
June 26, 2017
In the 1970s Francis Ford Coppola directed four of the best films of the 20th century: The first two Godfather movies, The Conversation and Apocalypse Now. From this canon of work my favorite is Apocalypse Now.

This is a collision of sound, image, and obsession. The horror of war and the need to commit to that horror is the theme. After it's over it will echo in your mind... forever and ever.
½ June 23, 2017
Pure & simple, a stunner. Nightmarishly brilliant
June 23, 2017
10 out of 10:

With spectacular cinematography, great performance, and really intense moments, Apocalypse Now just might be the best Vietnam film ever made.
June 11, 2017
6-8-2017.

12-24-2013. Original rating for Redux (Jan. 30, 2010: 4/5).
June 8, 2017
As an action, war and drama movie package, it delivers a brilliant experience into the twilight zone of this war portrayed by great actors.
June 3, 2017
I've heard many great things about this film.
May 21, 2017
Grade - B+
Magnificent cinematography, fantastic direction and interesting themes make 'Apocalypse Now' a thought-provoking slice of cinema; even if it is ultimately a tad too long.
May 1, 2017
One of those films I felt I had to watch since it's considered such a classic but then I switched off halfway through as it had completely failed to make me care about anything that happens in it.
April 21, 2017
An epic Vietnam war movie loosely based on Conrad's "Heart of Darkness". Episodic, with the best scenes close to unrivalled in cinema, and the missteps still fascinating. A visually ravishing, impressionist exploration of the folly of Vietnam and the futility of war in general. The ending featuring Marlon Brando doesn't quite work but it doesn't sink the film either. Apocalypse Now always sets me thinking about my favourite poser on the nature of movies. Which is better; a heroically ambitious, magnificently executed but flawed film or a more tightly focussed, competent movie that has few or no weaknesses?
½ April 18, 2017
Cinematically one of the best military movies period. The screen play the acting the realism. Nearly perfect but bits and pieces drag.
April 5, 2017
Visceral, enthralling, flawless.
April 4, 2017
A group of soldiers are sent into the jungles to hunt down a military leader. As they make it closer, they have to fight through different enemies and hazards. Like "2001: A Space Oddysey" this is more of an experience type of film. You experience it from the beginning to the end. It's superbly acted and it's expertly filmed. It has a fascinating and suspenseful story. The ending is brilliant and it proves that not all war films have to have explosions for the final act. It's a calm but moving scene and it fits the movie well. This is quite possibly the most creative war film ever made. It's visually stunning from beginning to end and it does a great job capturing the ugliness of war. The only reason it doesn't get a 5 is because I would've liked a bit more action. This 1 scene near the beginning was impressive but several more of them I felt were over before they even started. So some parts were a bit slow for me. Still, this is still an outstanding effort and it's still one of the best movies of the 70's.
½ March 15, 2017
A good movie but too long for 2017.
½ March 14, 2017
Marlon Brando did not show up until the last 40 minutes of the movie or so and he appeared to be a terrifying soul thanks to the excellent cinematography. I love how hilarious Robert Duvall was in it and the very young Martin Sheen had a resemblance to David Tennant! Martin Sheen was convincing when doing narratives. It is one of a cluster of late 1970s movies on the Vietnam War and Apocalypse Now is goooood!
February 24, 2017
An incredible film that immerses you into the mind of a man with PTSD. From the dazzling cinematography to the intriguing dialogue this movie succeeds in creating a mysterious atmosphere and building suspense very well. An excellent portrayal of war and the madness that comes with it.
February 21, 2017
I love the smell of napalm in the morning. I also love Apocalypse Now. Classic movie.
February 21, 2017
Apocalypse Now is very very good film. This means war i given to 100%! My Favourite 1979 film ever!
February 18, 2017
Best war film and one of the best films of not the best film ever made