Apocalypse Now - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Apocalypse Now Reviews

October 15, 2016
Really long and really not good. Anyone that says differently is trying to appear artsy or like a film connoisseur.
October 7, 2016
One of the best war films ever, Apocalypse Now is an amazing film that takes time to develop it's characters and it takes time to show you what real war is.
September 29, 2016
A brilliantly brutal insight into the sheer madness of the Vietnam War.
½ September 19, 2016
Exquisitely crafted, but just not my kind of film.
September 15, 2016
We usually see movies as an opportunity to escape to a place we have never been. A place we would rather be. Coppola denies that concept by kidnapping the viewer in his hellish world of Apocalypse Now. It is a horrifying look into the depravity, bloodlust, and insanity that lives within each of us. Between painfully believable acting and grotesquely gorgeous filmography, Apocalypse Now deserves a place among the greatest films of all time. Maybe the first place.
September 7, 2016
Still aesthetically shocking in 2016, "Apocalypse Now" is a work of intense and sprawling artistic power and ambition.
½ September 5, 2016
Mesmerizing and absolutely stunning- each frame demands so much attention you feel like you missed out half the film when you are done. Which demands rewatching.
August 25, 2016
Enjoyed the first two thirds of the movie more than the final third, but it was still very well done and well acted. Fat Brando is always nice, too.
August 19, 2016
Still one of the greatest films I have seen, a masterpiece of story, acting, dialogue, scenery and staging, it is as powerful today as when I first saw it. In an odd way our distance in time from the Vietnam war makes me appreciate the story and the movie even more as works of art.
August 18, 2016
One of the most visceral experiences i have ever had with a film. I am not refering to the few war sequences per say, which are masterfully made in camera, but the story is so intense and the mood is constantly edgy. The performances are very strong, the cinematography is truly astonishing and the sound mix is so absorbing; this is an extraordianry film that audaciously goes deep into the darkness and has profound commentaries that are illustrated in a tour de force marriage of sight and sound!
August 13, 2016
A gripping Vietnam story
August 12, 2016
Apocalypse Now is a visually haunting tale that perfectly focuses on the Insanity of War and the evils Human Beings Are Capable Of during one of the darkest time periods.
August 7, 2016
Absolutely a triumph of filmmaking. One of the greatest pieces of cinema of all time. A must see (in theatre!).
July 23, 2016
An absolute masterpiece. Having just enjoyed Band of Brothers´s conventional warfare during the WWII, Apocalypse Now gave me an entirely new experience by visiting the insane jungle and guerrilla warfare in Vietnam. Despite the obviously choreographed chaos for spectacular effects visually, sound wise, the horrors of war in Vietnam is many times darker and more gruesome. While WW2 was still still a time of segregation and the army was white, we see many black soldiers in the Vietnam war reminding us that time has moved forward. While soldiers fought with more purpose in WW2, the GIs during the Vietnam war fought aimlessly against chaos, madness, darkness and without redemption. Unlike WW2, the so called enemy ´gooks´did not wear recognisable uniforms and therefore cannot be differentiated from civilians. Consequently, indiscriminate killing of civilians resulted in extreme human tragedy and turning the US soldiers into unforgivable demons. The question of ´why why why were the US soldiers in Vietnam fighting who we would not consider any enemy today´. The movie was a great display of American brazen stupidity and arrogant display of their gross atrocity against the indigenous natives who they massacred indiscriminately. Anchoring this awesome film was the giant Marlon Brando. His greater than life persona commanded undivided attention in the last 30 minutes of the movie. I have no idea why Martin would Kill Marlon even after acquainting himself with a man who lost faith in the US army for all the atrocities he had witnessed and experienced. Where trigger happy men have gone berserk with fear and command and control had broken down.
July 19, 2016
A group of soldiers are sent into the jungles to hunt down a military leader. As they make it closer, they have to fight through different enemies and hazards. Like "2001: A Space Oddysey" this is more of an experience type of film. You experience it from the beginning to the end. It's superbly acted and it's expertly filmed. It has a fascinating and suspenseful story. The ending is brilliant and it proves that not all war films have to have explosions for the final act. It's a calm but moving scene and it fits the movie well. This is quite possibly the most creative war film ever made. It's visually stunning from beginning to end and it does a great job capturing the ugliness of war. The only reason it doesn't get a 5 is because I would've liked a bit more action. This 1 scene near the beginning was impressive but several more of them I felt were over before they even started. So some parts were a bit slow for me. Still, this is still an outstanding effort and it's still one of the best movies of the 70's.
July 18, 2016
Some good explosions, but this Vietnam take on "Heart of Darkness" needs serious trimming.
July 18, 2016
Pure bliss. This is what moviemaking is about. This is how to funnel feelings and emotion onto the silver screen. The result is a breathtaking cinematic journey almost unrivaled in modern times. There is so much to say,but no doubt already said. So i will just say if you have not,go watch it now.
July 16, 2016
Coppola's epic masterpiece is a Vietnam War version of Conrad's classic Heart of Darkness, Apocalypse Now is a frightening and incredible odyssey into the darkness of the human soul. Captain Willard is assigned a classified mission to travel up the Nung River in order to assassinate renegade Col. Kurtz who has gone insane, further drifting away from human rationale the further his crew drifts upstream. Breathtaking sequences with engrossing and awe-inspiring cinematography pre-dating Avatar redeem the film's murky and rather weak ending.
July 10, 2016
I have to say I didn't really understand this movie...or maybe that is the point. At the point in the movie where they began traveling up the river to find Col. Kurtz (Marlon Brando), it became like a 2 hour hallucination. It didn't seem to have a meaning or purpose, which very well may be the point. I guess one could interpret this as an absurdist look at the intersection of war, technology and messianic worship. If it was trying to get a message across though I missed it. As a piece of film making I see why it is regarded as a classic. I may have to give it some time to sink in, then watch it again.
July 9, 2016
Dark, complex and a bit paranoic. If we mis this with Coppola's directing and the excellent acting and story, we get this cinema masterpiece