Armageddon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Armageddon Reviews

October 16, 2016
You wouldn't think this film was the best part of 20 years old. Way ahead of its time. Amazing in Blu Ray.
½ October 12, 2016
Forget what the critics have told you about Armageddon. Just rent it and watch it. It rocks!
½ August 17, 2016
Now I love movies, I really enjoy action movies, but this....Oh my! This IS one of the worst movies of all times. Mindbogglingly dumb, full of cliches and a meaningless ending. Why so many people adore this waste of time and money, I'll never understand.
A typical Bay-affair. Still waiting for him to just release a movie with 90 minutes of just explosions!
½ August 9, 2016
good movie steve omg good job
August 9, 2016
loved it, it really is a great film
½ August 8, 2016
Armageddon has plenty of explosions, but also characters you don't care about in a movie that should be an hour shorter. Bay tries to deliver an emotional finale but just comes off as incredibly cheesy and out of place in an otherwise dull story.
August 8, 2016
It's Scientifically inaccurate but if you love brainless action movies it delivers the adrenaline pumping goods and for that you can appreciate.
½ August 2, 2016
Agreeably stupid on almost every level - and the acting certainly isn't something to marvel over - Armageddon does not contain enough substance to make it commendable; but somewhere within the madness a pleasurable experience comes out and you feel better after you've seen it. Especially in comparison to the other 'dumber' 90s end of the world movies, it really isn't that bad at all.
Verdict: B-
½ July 28, 2016
I'm fairly tolerant of junk, but I hate this film. Spending time watching this is like being trapped with an ADD addled teenage boy who can never complete a thought before moving onto the next one. Bay has no concept of how to cut a movie in a fashion that allows the viewer's brain to process transitions between unrelated scenes ... or at least he doesn't care about constructing his movie in a coherent fashion. There's a point in this film where Willis has to go round up his crew of guys to tell them about the whole asteroid drilling thing. Although no more than a couple of days could have passed since he left them on his oil rig, they are now all around the world doing different things (Ben Affleck has apparently started up his own company 2 days after being fired.) The sequence that shows them all living their own version of the high life between jobs is an extended nightmare summoned from the dumb-ass delusions of an adolescent boy's idea of how the world works. That a 30 year old man committed this to film is ... astonishing.
jamrcla
½ July 25, 2016
Alright but couldn't watch it again, More of a drama than a disaster movie, Overrated and only really remembered for the soundtrack in my eyes.
½ July 25, 2016
7/24/16 This film is almost 20 years old now, but I had never seen it. It was obviously ground breaking with it's effects at the time because it didn't feel dated to me. The overall concept of the movie is pretty cool. The overall story though is fairly mundane. Not too many surprises... it is pretty formulaic. Still, I felt like I had to see it because it is so well known.
½ July 19, 2016
After the thousandth plot hole it became genuinely hard to watch.
July 15, 2016
When Earth is in danger from a giant Asteroid, a driller named Harry Stamper is brought on to drill a hole into the Asteroid so they can put a nuke in it to destroy it. Armageddon is a fun film with stunning visual effects and memorable performances, but the film is overbloated with drama and is very unintelligent.
July 11, 2016
One of my all time favourite films. It isn't a pinnacle of cinematography or even a showcase of great acting but this movie is a perfect example of how movies can restore our faith in love, hope, and belief. Til this day i cant watch it without crying. A true work of art in its own sense.
July 1, 2016
Bruce Willis kills it along with a great supporting cast, cheesy but waaay too much fun!
½ June 22, 2016
This is the first film that I can remember where upon leaving the theatre I had absolutely hated it. Bad dialog only made somewhat bearable when Buscemi spoke, horrible science, and noise, noise, noise. The only scene I found even some pleasure in was the infamous animal cracker scene because I was barely out of my teens at the time. And grass on the asteroid... I noticed that in the theatre! AND WHY WAS THERE A MACHINE GUN?? Arg, this was just utter crap.
½ June 20, 2016
This disaster film is very well written (which should be obvious as JJ Abrams was one of the writers). The film was also very well cast. This group of actors meshes very well together on screen to make the film entertaining. The concept is interesting as a group of drillers have to land on an asteroid to try and destroy it before it his earth. Surprising emotional and very well acted roles from Bruce Willis and Ben Affleck. Good blend of humor and action. This is one of the last gasps of greatness Michael Bay had before he started diving head first into the cinematic abortions known as the Transformers franchise.
½ June 13, 2016
Even from the first scenes of the film, you don't even have to see the credits to know this is a Michael Bay film. Every aspect from the out of place comedy, the exaggerated drama and the use of massive explosions as key plot points are all key elements in one of his movie love-children. That said, you get a very mixed result from this wild blend. The first half is where the random explosions and comedy overrun everything, and you really want to just dismiss is as crap before wasting 2 and a half hours on it. As soon as the characters do reach space, things tense up and you finally get the thrill ride advertised. People are in peril and you anxiously watch as the race against the clock unravels. Some would say that the cheesy drama still bogs it down too much, but the action does have its redeeming qualities and for the most part the acting works. Armageddon is bloated and dumb, but the second half manages to at least earn back our interest with some highlight reel action.
June 11, 2016
This is still my favorite movie of all times.