Armageddon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Armageddon Reviews

½ July 25, 2016
Alright but couldn't watch it again, More of a drama than a disaster movie, Overrated and only really remembered for the soundtrack in my eyes.
½ July 25, 2016
7/24/16 This film is almost 20 years old now, but I had never seen it. It was obviously ground breaking with it's effects at the time because it didn't feel dated to me. The overall concept of the movie is pretty cool. The overall story though is fairly mundane. Not too many surprises... it is pretty formulaic. Still, I felt like I had to see it because it is so well known.
½ July 19, 2016
After the thousandth plot hole it became genuinely hard to watch.
July 15, 2016
When Earth is in danger from a giant Asteroid, a driller named Harry Stamper is brought on to drill a hole into the Asteroid so they can put a nuke in it to destroy it. Armageddon is a fun film with stunning visual effects and memorable performances, but the film is overbloated with drama and is very unintelligent.
July 11, 2016
One of my all time favourite films. It isn't a pinnacle of cinematography or even a showcase of great acting but this movie is a perfect example of how movies can restore our faith in love, hope, and belief. Til this day i cant watch it without crying. A true work of art in its own sense.
July 1, 2016
Bruce Willis kills it along with a great supporting cast, cheesy but waaay too much fun!
½ June 26, 2016
Agreeably stupid on almost every level - and the acting certainly isn't something to marvel over - Armageddon does not contain enough substance to make it commendable; but somewhere within the madness a pleasurable experience comes out and you feel better after you've seen it. Especially in comparison to the other 'dumber' 90s end of the world movies, it really isn't that bad at all.
½ June 22, 2016
This is the first film that I can remember where upon leaving the theatre I had absolutely hated it. Bad dialog only made somewhat bearable when Buscemi spoke, horrible science, and noise, noise, noise. The only scene I found even some pleasure in was the infamous animal cracker scene because I was barely out of my teens at the time. And grass on the asteroid... I noticed that in the theatre! AND WHY WAS THERE A MACHINE GUN?? Arg, this was just utter crap.
½ June 20, 2016
This disaster film is very well written (which should be obvious as JJ Abrams was one of the writers). The film was also very well cast. This group of actors meshes very well together on screen to make the film entertaining. The concept is interesting as a group of drillers have to land on an asteroid to try and destroy it before it his earth. Surprising emotional and very well acted roles from Bruce Willis and Ben Affleck. Good blend of humor and action. This is one of the last gasps of greatness Michael Bay had before he started diving head first into the cinematic abortions known as the Transformers franchise.
½ June 13, 2016
Even from the first scenes of the film, you don't even have to see the credits to know this is a Michael Bay film. Every aspect from the out of place comedy, the exaggerated drama and the use of massive explosions as key plot points are all key elements in one of his movie love-children. That said, you get a very mixed result from this wild blend. The first half is where the random explosions and comedy overrun everything, and you really want to just dismiss is as crap before wasting 2 and a half hours on it. As soon as the characters do reach space, things tense up and you finally get the thrill ride advertised. People are in peril and you anxiously watch as the race against the clock unravels. Some would say that the cheesy drama still bogs it down too much, but the action does have its redeeming qualities and for the most part the acting works. Armageddon is bloated and dumb, but the second half manages to at least earn back our interest with some highlight reel action.
June 11, 2016
This is still my favorite movie of all times.
½ May 31, 2016
Oh my, this was a bad film.
May 21, 2016
It's just a good movie to watch , the low score these critics give just proves how out of touch other the public they are.
May 18, 2016
I would say that this is his last fun movie before TRANSFORMING into the Michael bay we all know and HATE.
May 17, 2016
some good cinematography
½ May 15, 2016
Despite Willis, Clarke Duncan and some other cast members really trying, this mess of a film is mostly unwatchable thanks to Bay's lack of ability to plan a scene or understand what pacing, is. Flashy visuals drown what could have been a more interesting story... for that, watch "Deep Impact" instead. That's A MOVIE.
April 27, 2016
I loved it! it was the most greatest of Michael Bay's movies!
½ April 26, 2016
An asteroid is going to hit earth but don't worry folks we'll be saved by some good ole oil drillers led by Bruce Willis.
½ April 24, 2016
Michael Bay's 1998 film "Armageddon" is sometimes a beautiful film to look at, but unfortunately the film is boggled down by horrible ham performances from most of the cast, an extremely unrealistic scenario, sappy sentimentalism, and jingoistic themes by Bay. Is this the fault of Michael Bay or is it the fault of the script written by at least nine people with only five being credited including J. J. Abrams and additional material written by Robert Towne. The dialogue is hapless and when the actors speak these lines written for them, you can get the sense they don't quite believe what they're saying.
You would know a Michael Bay film if you see one. His style is very distinctive. Big budget films loaded with special effects with an emphasis on explosions. His films are fast moving and visual. But they often lack story. His name is used pejoratively to describe films made for thirteen year old boys. His films are not for everyone and they are certainly not for me.
"Armageddon" involves an asteroid the size of Texas that is on a collission course with Earth and its going to hit in less than 18 days. NASA thinks they could land a crew of astronauts on the asteroid who could drill into the center and drop some explosives in an attempt to break it into relatively smaller pieces that if blown they would pass by the Earth. NASA recruits the best oil rigger, Harry Stamper (Bruce Willis) who will only do the mission if he can take up his own men. A motley assortment of roughnecks from all walks of life extremely unsuitable for the severity of this mission.
Now these oil riggers have to train for space travel in 12 days. Everything must be condensed and they probably don't understand much of what they were taught and they probably didn't get everything actual astronauts would receive. They are buffonish, but they embody the American working man. Despite the pressures of their mission, these men all agree to save the Earth.
There's a bit of a subplot involving Harry's daughter Grace (Liv Tyler) who has been dating A.J. Frost (Ben Affleck) much to Harry's dismay. Why Grace spent most her life on an oil rig is beyond me. Harry and A.J. have a bit of a rivalry and they butt heads constantly, but the issue is always about who Grace loves more, regardless of what they may be arguing about. Harry wants Grace to do better than an oil rigger, because she is better than that. It's just a catalyst for the audience to see how human these characters are and give us something to care about in this long, boring film.
At times there is humor, and that humor seems incredibly misplaced. When these oil riggers are training and should be taking things seriously, they are laughing and fooling around. The Earth is about to be destroyed in a week or more and they have so much to learn. Is this a way of dealing with the stress of the mission? Possibly. But at this short notice, this is the best NASA can do.
There are many problems with this film, but what I can't understand is why the mission isn't an international mission involving the best and brightest from many countries with space programs. It just seems incredibly jingoistic and arrogant that it's working class Americans who will save the Earth. There are exciting moments in the film, but they are so hard to follow with the editing and camera moving around so much. Overall, this is a film surely to delight people not looking for anything much more than some eye candy infused with patriotism and ideas of self-sacrifice.