Army of Darkness - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Army of Darkness Reviews

November 22, 2016
I was a bit leery of this film, only because I was concerned that the horror elements would not be to my liking, and I would need to see the first 2 Evil Dead movies to fully appreciate this one. I did not need to be concerned about either of those things. The horror is played for laughs, and Army of Darkness gives you a quick rundown of what happened before. The structure of this film is very scattered, as though they were trying to create a Monty Python vibe where they jump from one sketch to the next. Sadly, I didn't find any of the scenes all that funny, so instead of laughing I was just shaking my head in confusion. It's strange with comedies like this, as I'm never sure how much of the terrible effects I'm supposed to write off because "that's what makes it funny!" But every time there was someone flying, or walking skeletons, or whatever strange thing they needed for this weird world it was blatantly obvious how they pieced together the effect, which comes off as sloppy.

Another big frustration of mine is that they never set up rules or explain how the evil forces work. It's as if we're just supposed to know that dismembering, beheading, stabbing, and whatever else is done to Bad Ash is ineffective but explosion does the job. And if you're in a windmill that's in the evil place it makes sense that tiny mirror versions of yourself will show up, or you might grow a doppelganger. I'll admit there was some enjoyment to be had in the story, and I'm sure I chuckled a few times. But the climax feels exactly like a child staging a fight with his toys. It might have moments that are fun, but it isn't good story-telling. Clearly I've missed the boat on Army of Darkness, because it has a legion of fans. I think there are moments that work, it had potential to do more, and Bruce Campbell isn't a bad lead. However, it definitely didn't click with me and I will probably never feel the urge to explore any more of Evil Dead movies.
November 18, 2016
The third and final film in the series and the most outrageous. We see ash in medieval times right where the second film left off. The progression from horror to comedy through out the series really shows here as army of darkness is a crazy laugh a minute film. We see ash fight the deaditte army with knights in order for him to transport back to the time he came from. This was a different direction from the previous films having been set in the cabin for the first two. A completely different setting, environment and story made this fresh and left you wanting to see more of ash. Absolutely hilarious and completely off its rocker, army of darkness is a worthy third instalment.
½ November 13, 2016
Hilarious horror comedy that makes the perfect end to the "Evil Dead" trilogy in all its forms. Bruce Campbell is at his absolute best as Ash, playing his arrogance & stupidity to brilliant effect while pulling off also playing 'Evil Ash' and even a bunch of miniature ones. Like in "Evil Dead II", the best parts are always Ash by himself, and here he takes it to the next level, so much so that the rest of the cast is overshadowed (even future Oscar nominees Embeth Davidtz). Behind the camera, Raimi crafts a hilarious fantasy that pokes fun at the genre & films that came before. The gags are fast & ingenious (seeing Ash fighting a bunch of tiny versions of himself is one of the best moments of the series) while the special effects team bring the world to life (the skeleton army is brilliantly cheesy). While not a perfect combination of horror & comedy that "Evil Dead II" is, this is a plain fun movie from beginning to end, and for the record, I prefer the happier ending.
November 4, 2016
Better than could ever have been anticipated
½ November 1, 2016
Great effects+quirky dialoge+charisma= Awesome movie
October 29, 2016
Army of Darkness is severly underrated and deserves way more accolades. If you dont like that it's more of a comedy action then a horror that's fine but try to forget about the horror and watch the slapstick comedy ensue. Bruce Campbell plays a tired pissed off hero who just wants to get home but he's a human being so he is going to make some major mistakes. Everything from the dialouge to the screams coming from Ash's mouth are entertaining and smoothly makes the movie fly right by.
October 28, 2016
- Officially lost track of how many times I have seen this...such a classic. For what the movie is trying to achieve, a blend of horror and comedy that pays tribute to films of the 50's and 60's, it is perfection. You don't even need to like the genre to enjoy this, it's just good silly fun!

- I have now watched this film countless times, it's one of my all-time faves. I watched the "Director's Cut" which is the longest at 96mins and features an alternate ending from the Theatrical version. Just a great and entertaining film!

- Just watched this yet again. This is one movie I never get sick of watching which is rare...it's such a gem. Give it a try if you've never seen it.

- I have probably seen this at least 10 times now, I never get tired of it and laugh out loud every time. I LOVE this movie! I truly wish there were more films like this. This is a must watch!

- Just watched the Director's cut, this film is pure entertainment. One of the most easily re-watchable films I have ever seen, a true classic.

- Just watched this as the first half of an a "Wright Stuff" Bill Pope double-bill with Edgar Wright presenting it with D.O.P. Bill Pope in attendance. It was great to see it with an audience for the first time and to hear Pope tell behind the scenes stories of how things were done.

The film gets better with each viewing and the more crude special effects have a timeless appeal.

It you haven't scene this one, go get it now...
½ October 27, 2016
7.2/10. 10-27-2016

Original rating: circa October 2009 (6/10)
October 22, 2016
Yes Bruce Campbell my favorite all time goofy throwback horror cult film far from scary just hahahas
½ October 9, 2016
It is sillier compared to the previous Evil Dead movies and clearly made for a younger audience, but even if it loses steam after a while, it benefits from those moments of hysteria and absurdity that made the second movie so funny, with Bruce Campbell screaming out of control.
½ September 28, 2016
funny, brilliant in every way
September 24, 2016
People who say that this movie is campy a negative have completely missed the point. This movie is so entertaining that anyone who enjoyed the evil dead movies or adventure movies will love it. If you haven't seen it, it is required viewing.
August 21, 2016
Army Of Darkness is a really clever horror film. It is funny and self aware at times. Bruce Campbell is perfect in this movie as he was in all of the Evil Dead movies. This movie is the weakest in the trilogy, but still a great movie
August 7, 2016
I loved "Army of Darkness." It was a very funny film. Try to find a copy of "Army of Darkness," that has both the theatrical version & director's cut of the film. The director's cut has a darker ending.
½ August 4, 2016
The film is an intentional parody of campy B movies and it's sheer nonsensical nature combined with over the top slapstick humor makes Army of Darkness a winner.
Grade: A-
August 2, 2016
Schlocky, stupid chuckles... but mildly entertaining. This is "The Director' Cut" I speak of.
July 26, 2016
What a disapointment, I apreciate Sam Raimis love for Harryhausen films and the 3 stooges, but this is NOT a horror movie, at best its a fantasy/comedy, it just pales in comparison to evil dead 1 and 2, I think thats probably why he did Ash vs evil dead series, to ward off all the hate mail, i personly think this would have been alot better recieved had he NOT made it a part of the cult fav evil dead series, because if you separate it from that, its not a bad fantasycomedy, its just the insult that pissed so many people off, we wanted gore not xena action!
July 23, 2016
This is Bruce Campbell at his finest. Army of Darkness is a hilarious slapstick Action Horror that makes it impossible to stop quoting him.
July 14, 2016
Humorous third instalment of the evil dead series of films as Ash goes to find the book of evil in an attempt to get back home.
July 9, 2016
"Army of Darkness"? More like "Army of 'Meh.'" How do you went from a scary, straight horror flick to this? It's just plain corny. So many crappy one liners. Yes, I laughed over a few of them, but it gets annoying after a while. The plot is just ridiculous. Could have been much better if they didn't rush it. I guess because of budget constraints? If that's true, then why head into this direction? It's the like the writers ran out of ideas. Sam Raimi, I think you're a great director, but you fucked up this series with this corny, cheesy, childish third installment of the "Evil Dead" trilogy. Please, bring back horror again instead of going full blown comedy.