Army of Darkness - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Army of Darkness Reviews

October 22, 2016
Yes Bruce Campbell my favorite all time goofy throwback horror cult film far from scary just hahahas
½ October 9, 2016
It is sillier compared to the previous Evil Dead movies and clearly made for a younger audience, but even if it loses steam after a while, it benefits from those moments of hysteria and absurdity that made the second movie so funny, with Bruce Campbell screaming out of control.
½ September 28, 2016
funny, brilliant in every way
September 24, 2016
People who say that this movie is campy a negative have completely missed the point. This movie is so entertaining that anyone who enjoyed the evil dead movies or adventure movies will love it. If you haven't seen it, it is required viewing.
August 21, 2016
Army Of Darkness is a really clever horror film. It is funny and self aware at times. Bruce Campbell is perfect in this movie as he was in all of the Evil Dead movies. This movie is the weakest in the trilogy, but still a great movie
August 7, 2016
I loved "Army of Darkness." It was a very funny film. Try to find a copy of "Army of Darkness," that has both the theatrical version & director's cut of the film. The director's cut has a darker ending.
½ August 4, 2016
The film is an intentional parody of campy B movies and it's sheer nonsensical nature combined with over the top slapstick humor makes Army of Darkness a winner.
Grade: A-
August 2, 2016
Schlocky, stupid chuckles... but mildly entertaining. This is "The Director' Cut" I speak of.
July 26, 2016
What a disapointment, I apreciate Sam Raimis love for Harryhausen films and the 3 stooges, but this is NOT a horror movie, at best its a fantasy/comedy, it just pales in comparison to evil dead 1 and 2, I think thats probably why he did Ash vs evil dead series, to ward off all the hate mail, i personly think this would have been alot better recieved had he NOT made it a part of the cult fav evil dead series, because if you separate it from that, its not a bad fantasycomedy, its just the insult that pissed so many people off, we wanted gore not xena action!
July 23, 2016
This is Bruce Campbell at his finest. Army of Darkness is a hilarious slapstick Action Horror that makes it impossible to stop quoting him.
July 14, 2016
Humorous third instalment of the evil dead series of films as Ash goes to find the book of evil in an attempt to get back home.
July 9, 2016
- I have now watched this film countless times, it's one of my all-time faves. I watched the "Director's Cut" which is the longest at 96mins and features an alternate ending from the Theatrical version. Just a great and entertaining film!

- Just watched this yet again. This is one movie I never get sick of watching which is's such a gem. Give it a try if you've never seen it.

- I have probably seen this at least 10 times now, I never get tired of it and laugh out loud every time. I LOVE this movie! I truly wish there were more films like this. This is a must watch!

- Just watched the Director's cut, this film is pure entertainment. One of the most easily re-watchable films I have ever seen, a true classic.

- Just watched this as the first half of an a "Wright Stuff" Bill Pope double-bill with Edgar Wright presenting it with D.O.P. Bill Pope in attendance. It was great to see it with an audience for the first time and to hear Pope tell behind the scenes stories of how things were done.

The film gets better with each viewing and the more crude special effects have a timeless appeal.

It you haven't scene this one, go get it now...
July 9, 2016
"Army of Darkness"? More like "Army of 'Meh.'" How do you went from a scary, straight horror flick to this? It's just plain corny. So many crappy one liners. Yes, I laughed over a few of them, but it gets annoying after a while. The plot is just ridiculous. Could have been much better if they didn't rush it. I guess because of budget constraints? If that's true, then why head into this direction? It's the like the writers ran out of ideas. Sam Raimi, I think you're a great director, but you fucked up this series with this corny, cheesy, childish third installment of the "Evil Dead" trilogy. Please, bring back horror again instead of going full blown comedy.
July 7, 2016
The stars reflects my personal feelings about this film. I'll start by saying I can see why people enjoy this movie. It's funny and action packed. Bruce Campbell is still a joy and the effects are still amazing. The camera work is also good. On a technical level, it is closer to a 6 or 7.

However, this is my review. I thought the story and over the top tone dragged this way down. I disliked the douche direction they went with Ash and thought the script would have felt better with Jim Carrey (I know what I said...err...typed) I rarely laughed and thought that the tone change was uncalled for. Yes, ED2 was over the top and tongue in cheek feeling. However, they still kept it balanced with the scares and the isolated location. This just felt cheesy and like Rami was high on everything.
June 23, 2016
Army of Darkness is the third installment in the Evil Dead trilogy. The movie follows Ash as he gets sucked back in time to A.D. 1300 and has to find the Necronomicon in order to come back to his time but after raising the dead, Ash along his fellow knights will have to fight off the Army of Darkness. This movie like the previous two installments is excellent. This movie like the second one doesn't take itself too seriously and produces some hilarious moments. Bruce Cambell is once again great as Ash and delivers a great and hilarious performance as well as does some great physical humor. The story itself is interesting and different from the previous two but still has some of that old school Evil Dead feel to it even if its nothing like the previous two and is all out cheesy and campy in the good way. Overall this movie is fantastic and hilarious. 4/5
May 28, 2016
This is probably the most famous of the "Evil Dead Trilogy", but it is pretty much NOTHING like the Evil Dead movies. It is very cheesy and yet also very funny. A lot of famous one-liners came out of this movie. It is a fun and campy movie.
May 22, 2016
Bonkers, ridiculous, and just plain awesome. Compare it with its horror predecessors all you like, I smiled more during this than during either Evil Dead film.
May 9, 2016
Another great entry in the Evil Dead franchise. It's almost impossible to hate this movie, there's so much charm and entertainment to it. It looks a lot like the second one, the effects are extremely cheap, but comedic. It's weird, cause this was a big budget film, I don't know where did all the money go into. But anyways, it's really good and funny and won't dissapoint you at all. And it has it's gore limits, not like the first two films. Recommended !!
½ May 3, 2016
It's stupid, campy and silly - but that is exactly what Army of Darkness was aiming to be in the first place, and succeeds thanks to it's charming special effects and wonderfully fun performance by Bruce Campbell.
½ April 28, 2016
It may not be what its predecessors were, but Army of Darkness offers amazing practical effects, and charming tongue-in-cheek humor.