Army of Darkness Reviews
Another big frustration of mine is that they never set up rules or explain how the evil forces work. It's as if we're just supposed to know that dismembering, beheading, stabbing, and whatever else is done to Bad Ash is ineffective but explosion does the job. And if you're in a windmill that's in the evil place it makes sense that tiny mirror versions of yourself will show up, or you might grow a doppelganger. I'll admit there was some enjoyment to be had in the story, and I'm sure I chuckled a few times. But the climax feels exactly like a child staging a fight with his toys. It might have moments that are fun, but it isn't good story-telling. Clearly I've missed the boat on Army of Darkness, because it has a legion of fans. I think there are moments that work, it had potential to do more, and Bruce Campbell isn't a bad lead. However, it definitely didn't click with me and I will probably never feel the urge to explore any more of Evil Dead movies.
- I have now watched this film countless times, it's one of my all-time faves. I watched the "Director's Cut" which is the longest at 96mins and features an alternate ending from the Theatrical version. Just a great and entertaining film!
- Just watched this yet again. This is one movie I never get sick of watching which is rare...it's such a gem. Give it a try if you've never seen it.
- I have probably seen this at least 10 times now, I never get tired of it and laugh out loud every time. I LOVE this movie! I truly wish there were more films like this. This is a must watch!
- Just watched the Director's cut, this film is pure entertainment. One of the most easily re-watchable films I have ever seen, a true classic.
- Just watched this as the first half of an a "Wright Stuff" Bill Pope double-bill with Edgar Wright presenting it with D.O.P. Bill Pope in attendance. It was great to see it with an audience for the first time and to hear Pope tell behind the scenes stories of how things were done.
The film gets better with each viewing and the more crude special effects have a timeless appeal.
It you haven't scene this one, go get it now...
Original rating: circa October 2009 (6/10)