Army of Darkness - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Army of Darkness Reviews

August 19, 2017
Cult Classic B Horror Comedy!
August 9, 2017
Though the deathly moments from its predecessors are toned down quite a bit here, Army of Darkness is still an enjoyable ride from start to finish. The combination of effects ranging from stop motion to puppets to fake shemps make it all worth it. That plus Bruce Campbell as Ash being completely uncouth but determined action hero that gets the blunt of the slapstick is pretty awesome. Considered Ash's biggest adventure with the deadites yet, this higher-budgeted conclusion to the influential Evil Dead films has a place with many camp horror films before and after.
½ August 4, 2017
Great fantastic phenomenal third installment in the evil dead trilogy starring Bruce Campbell. If you know me or read my reviews you would know that I hated the first movie but this is exceptional, fantastic. I think that this is the best movie in the franchise because it's funny and has the most action than any other evil dead movie. I know that this is the final movie and I already saw the tv that was recently released , thank you evil dead, thank you.
July 28, 2017
although more than a silly fantasy film than a horror comedy,Army of Darkness is loads of fun
½ June 29, 2017
While Army of Darkness doesn't have the scares that the first two Evil Dead movies had, it's still a funny, entertaining, satisfying conclusion to the Evil Dead trilogy.
½ June 25, 2017
This franchise ended up being pretty good! This movie was a bit too corny at times but overall was so ridiculous that it was hilarious! Ash is a true hero, lol.
½ June 20, 2017
Sam Raimi's Army of Darkness delivers a great conclusion to what is one of the most unique trilogies in cinema history, providing a ton of laughs and plenty of exciting action in the process.
½ June 19, 2017
A brutally entertaining ending to the trilogy, Army of Darkness may have more laughs than scares, but that's actually a good thing. That, the higher budget, and Bruce Campbell's fantastic performance all come together with hilariously great battle sequences to make one of the best horror comedies ever.
June 11, 2017
A modern guy travels to medieval times cartoon, terrible gags, slap stick and boredom abounds oh sorry there's real actors and practical effects...it's still a Disney-esque "Family friendly" cartoonish film. I leave completely puzzled as to why this trilogy is loved. It's just bad, not so bad it's good like plan 9 from outer space or it's ilk...just bad and boring.

Does the TV series at least get good...or is it more of this?
June 7, 2017
Bruce Campbell knocks it out of the park in his 3rd performance as Ash. The film has great laughs and an amazing story
May 29, 2017
The jokes in this franchise have run their course by this point. 'Army of Darkness' is a boring slog of a comedy with few genuine laughs. The gags run on for too long and go stale quickly. Especially a never-ending sequence involving Ash being tormented by mini versions of himself. Its like Raimi tried to recapture what was so great about 'Evil Dead II' but overdid it to the point where it wasn't even slightly amusing. Like all of Sam Raimi's Evil Dead movies there are some cool special effects, but in the end this is yet another franchise that overstayed it's welcome.
May 25, 2017
THE GREATEST MOVIE OF ALL TIME.
May 24, 2017
Slips downward from the first two, but still worth watching.
May 9, 2017
The third Evil Dead film basically eschews the horror and the gore for a (comparatively way more accessible) full-blown, eccentric type of goth-comic-book fantasy. The 1300 A.D. setting did feel a little dysfunctional and I did miss the horror element but, if you can accept the tonal difference, you'll probably have a good time and appreciate this for what it is: a minor but enjoyable medieval take on Evil Dead with beautiful imagery and a thrilling, full-on battle against the Army of Darkness.
March 31, 2017
4/5. One of the strangest movies I have ever seen, but I loved it.
March 3, 2017
best movie of any generation. Casablanca can go suck it!
January 20, 2017
A bit more campy and goofy, this movie is still a lot of fun. But why does Ash not just kill the zombies with his chin? He could probably do that, he has the chin of Bruce Campbell.
½ December 30, 2016
Stuck somewhere between the first two "Evil Dead" films and "Monty Python and the Holy Grail," "Army of Darkness" is totally off-kilter, but is no doubt entertaining.
December 17, 2016
Sometimes funny, but mostly annoying and stupid
November 22, 2016
I was a bit leery of this film, only because I was concerned that the horror elements would not be to my liking, and I would need to see the first 2 Evil Dead movies to fully appreciate this one. I did not need to be concerned about either of those things. The horror is played for laughs, and Army of Darkness gives you a quick rundown of what happened before. The structure of this film is very scattered, as though they were trying to create a Monty Python vibe where they jump from one sketch to the next. Sadly, I didn't find any of the scenes all that funny, so instead of laughing I was just shaking my head in confusion. It's strange with comedies like this, as I'm never sure how much of the terrible effects I'm supposed to write off because "that's what makes it funny!" But every time there was someone flying, or walking skeletons, or whatever strange thing they needed for this weird world it was blatantly obvious how they pieced together the effect, which comes off as sloppy.

Another big frustration of mine is that they never set up rules or explain how the evil forces work. It's as if we're just supposed to know that dismembering, beheading, stabbing, and whatever else is done to Bad Ash is ineffective but explosion does the job. And if you're in a windmill that's in the evil place it makes sense that tiny mirror versions of yourself will show up, or you might grow a doppelganger. I'll admit there was some enjoyment to be had in the story, and I'm sure I chuckled a few times. But the climax feels exactly like a child staging a fight with his toys. It might have moments that are fun, but it isn't good story-telling. Clearly I've missed the boat on Army of Darkness, because it has a legion of fans. I think there are moments that work, it had potential to do more, and Bruce Campbell isn't a bad lead. However, it definitely didn't click with me and I will probably never feel the urge to explore any more of Evil Dead movies.