Arrival - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Arrival Reviews

May 19, 2019
Started off neato but then more heart-string time-travel about some fucking daughter. Like the time traveler's wife [horrible]; interstellar [good]; others I haven't seen or can't remember. CLOYING
May 19, 2019
Saw it on TV last night. One of the stupidest sci-fi movies ever!
½ May 16, 2019
One of the most provocative films of the century. The ending is probably even more shocking than the ending of The Sixth Sense. YEAH, it's that good.
May 15, 2019
The aliens are the best people.The scientific infrastructure of the film is good.
May 15, 2019
My favorite movie of all time.
May 13, 2019
Loved it! Really awesome sci-fi. The big bad military wanting to kill the poor alien was a tired cliche.
May 5, 2019
Definitely one of the best science fiction movies of all time. I was aware of the story on which it's based so that may have helped me appreciate it more than most. Very strong on how difficult communicaiton with an intelligence that evolved on another planet might be. The linguistics theory that it's stretches to a breaking point is fun and i like that they really took a what if of a real scienfitic hypothesis and ran with it in finest hard core science fiction tradition. Definitely worth watching more than once. Good cast.
May 3, 2019
We need more thought provoking sci fi like this. A change on the short story as in that they arrived. Just sat their and left.
½ April 29, 2019
Not good. Maybe even bad.....
Not a thinking persons SciFi.
At least one poorly constructed sequence.

Cinematography and acting was all pretty good, maybe very good.
Writing, editing, maybe even directing, not really very good.
As a fan of SciFi movies and TV (haven't really read much), as well as Science and philosophy, there were a great many missed opportunities here. Sadly. However Amy Adams was very good and Jeremy Renee was perhaps only somewhat behind her.

I suspect that everyone else probably showed up on time, hit their marks and knew their words.
April 29, 2019
Blu-ray, 2019/4/29
She unraveled the mystery of her own memory through deciphering language. There was no concept of tense, and the idea of including the future at one point was somewhat fresh for me.
April 23, 2019
Villeneuve elevates Arrival's source material to the very zenith of great storytelling with awesome production design and an incredible, intensely-emotional plot, bolstered (and blessedly not sidelined by) the science-fiction concepts at its core. A must-watch, and my all-time-favourite.
½ April 19, 2019
Arrival is a realistic sci-fi movie held together by superb performances from Amy Adams and Jeremy Renner. The cinematography and background score is spellbinding. The only problem is the lack of substantiation for the out-of-the-world twist ending - making it unconvincing
April 11, 2019
Such a let down, I heard some great things about it. It got 8 Academy nominations and yet I don't see it. Some amazing audio, but the movie didn't impress me at all.
½ April 6, 2019
Un film con una trama que te engancha desde el primer momento, con una actuación muy buena de Amy Adams
April 5, 2019
Alien SciFi without the tacky acting you often get with terrestrial flicks. Some good feels and flow to it.
April 5, 2019
Arrival is a versatile science fiction film that communicates on many levels. It's about language and cooperation, about people transcending barriers and immersing themselves in a new culture to understand a foreign race. Flawless
½ March 28, 2019
Slowest/boringest goddam movie ever
½ March 27, 2019
A great movie, very touching. Gives a new and different way to deliver a alien movie.
March 26, 2019
Can get a bit slow at times and flash backs are confusing for most of the movie, but worth sticking it out for full circle.
½ March 25, 2019
Arrival manages to build up the mystery and atmosphere with a novel concept for alien contact