Arrival - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Arrival Reviews

½ October 17, 2017
Que filme, que filme........parecia um meio comum... de repente, tomou outro contorno....que filme. Espetacular. Nada mais.
½ October 17, 2017
I can only say: Stay away!!!!!! This is, though extremely realistic when it comes to a possible first encounter of the third kind, the slowest, lamest, dullest SciFi/Alien movie ever produced. I really love this genre, but nothing, REALLY nothing ever happens in this "Arrival". They, the aliens, should have stayed away!!! 1 of 10 points. And I give that one point only because it is so close to what might actually happen. Otherwise I'd given it a Zero!
October 17, 2017
one of the best scifi
October 15, 2017
This movie was TERRIBLE! How did it get such a high rating? OMG. It was slow and boring for starters. And the end was just... Dumb.
½ October 13, 2017
***ALIEN OCTOPUSES FROM OUTERSPACE MEDDLE WITH THE INCONVENIENT TRUTH OF PLANET EARTH***
October 12, 2017
Exciting movie, interesting plot.
October 12, 2017
Great acting and a great story! The plot twist at the end is one of the best I've seen in a long time! A must see for Sci Fi fans!
October 12, 2017
This is a special movie. It's not an action movie. It's not a thriller. Its not singular. It's nothing so pigeon-holed. It's f-ing smart. It's beautiful. It's masterfully crafted. Stop reading this. Go watch it.
October 10, 2017
Imagine the thrill of Close Encounters combined with the awe and wonder of 2001 A Space Odyssey. Director Dennis Villeneuve and Writer Eric Heisserer are now at the top of my list of favorite directors and writers.
October 10, 2017
Sublime. Perfectly executed and a fascinating look at perceptions if reality.
October 9, 2017
Not quite what I was expecting from a movie dealing with aliens arriving on Earth ŕ la Independence Day. Instead of corny acting and big action, this is serious acting and zippo on the action front(save for one explosion). It is a bit slow paced that much is for sure and the whole deal with how Amy Adams' character solves the reason as to what the aliens want, eh... kooky. Kooky with a capital K. I supposed I prefer the action instead hah
October 9, 2017
I am generally not a fan of science fiction or thrillers, but Amy Adams successfully helms this excellent film that questions our pre-conceived notions of what science fiction really can be.
October 9, 2017
A very thought invoking, and inspiring movie. I am blown away by the script, the direction and acting.
½ October 8, 2017
Takes some narrative leaps where further exploration would have been preferred and has a somewhat cold and sterile feel to it.
Still a solid sci fi entry overall.
½ October 8, 2017
I really hated it, and I love science fiction. My whole family hated it. It was slow and boring art movie, one of those that critics like, and audience pretends to like so they'd look cool. The whole idea of language affecting person's ability to see any point of time is ridiculous, as the idea that anyone has choices in that kind of universe. Depressing idea.
October 8, 2017
Amazing sci-fi movie!
October 7, 2017
Slow to start but it became more engaging. Kinda hard to follow but just go with it
½ October 3, 2017
Arrival is a really neat idea for a film. A language professor must communicate with aliens that have arrived, and figure out why they're here. The film has some stellar acting, and a neat premise. The payoff, however...well, you'll see.

The process of the first two-thirds of the movie is really neat. The slow build-up of understanding the language is shown very well, with Adams giving a great performance. I also enjoy the interplay between her and Forest Whitaker, the career army man.

I take issue with Jeremy Renner's character. It is not made plain in the entire film why he is there. He's supposed to a scientist, and he is shown doing scientisty things, but they have no effect whatsoever on the plot. It might have been a good idea to pull back the focus to flesh out the mission a little more.

Once we get to the third act, the big sci-fi reveal happens. Here's the problem: you've already established a certain level of strangeness in the film, and this third act adds a whole new layer. It really pulls the rug out from under you. It might work for someone who was ready for that level of sci-fi, but I was not. It got really complex, really fast, and I felt whiplash while watching it.

It left a bad taste in my mouth, and looking back now a few weeks later, doesn't seem as egregious (hence the largely-positive rating). In the moment, it really took me out, though.
October 3, 2017