Arrival - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Arrival Reviews

June 18, 2018
The kind of thoughtful sci-fi I love to see. A film that delves into ideas without losing sight of the characters and doesn't get lost explaining it all to you.
June 16, 2018
Was not expecting this to be one of my favourite movies of the year but it is excellent
June 15, 2018
Amy Adams, Jeremy Renner and Forest Whitaker all in one film? Sign me up!
June 10, 2018
Incredible journey, I was in awe of the camerawork and solid direction, just to think he has The Bladerunner sequel next. This film is what science fiction filmmaking should be and as an audience we deserve these films. The emotional journey is hard and to say it doesn't gut punch you is a straight up lie. Intelligent movies are a dime a dozen and this film in particular stands out as a highlight not just for 2016. I'm finding a new wave of filmmakers that are trust worthy and worth following just for solid storytelling. If you thought Sicario, Enemy and Prisioners were flukes then Arrival will put that to rest. The trailer paints a different film so this is definitely not for everyone but this intense and intelligent sci fi film deserves are the recognition it receives. 11-12-2016.

My love for this film has remained unchanged. The film is smart and above all most, has characters at the front and centre. 09-06-2018.
½ June 3, 2018
One of those few sci fi films that is truly unique and inspired with a plot that is familiar and exceptional and the same time. You have to see it to understand the extraordinary twist to a usual plot to blow you away.
½ June 3, 2018
Boring. Slow. Turned it off.
June 3, 2018
Will there be a sequel for the year 5016?
June 1, 2018
The whole time i was watching this film i was on the edge of my seat, it probably helped i didn't see the trailer before watching but nonetheless breath-taking.

Excellent sound and visual design, perfect amount of dialogue and calculated moments of where they knew no dialogue was needed.

Definitely my favourite film of the past 5 years

This film requires reflective thinking and is powerful when digested without haste
½ May 24, 2018
Arrival is a very well written story being made by great directing and acting. But the catch is you won't appreciate it until you watch it for the 2nd time. The first time I watched it, I did not like it too much because much of the imagery made very little sense for me to understand what is going on enough to appreciate the style of story telling. It did not help this is not the kind of movie with action-packed thriller to keep you interested while not knowing what is going on. But after I learned the twist towards the end from the first time, and watched it again for the 2nd time, everything became crystal clear, which finally allowed me to appreciate the brilliance in the way the director/writers chose to do the story telling. It is a pretty risky choice from commercial success stand point. But I have to applaud those involved to stick with the artistic choice to make this film. If you don't have patience/time to watch this movie twice, this is one of the rare instance where it is actually better for you to learn about the plot twist spoiler before watching this film.
½ May 23, 2018
Arrival is a 2016 American science fiction drama film directed by Denis Villeneuve.
This science fiction film contains numerous themes including those of circles, and beginnings and endings. Although the storyline is not exactly original, it does bring a new angle to the genre. The result is an entertaining and sometimes gripping film.
AAN AFI 1001
May 20, 2018
Denis Villenueve surprised me with this almost flawless movie.
May 19, 2018
i really enjoyed this movie , the twist at the end was amazingly done , i remember when i first saw it and towards the end of the 3rd act they start revealing a few things and i started piecing them together and i just felt so sad and yet genuinely surprised at the same time , ive reccomended this movie to everyone i know and so far they've all loved it, very unique story with a sub plot that left me speechless. the acting by both leads was amazing as well combined with great cinematography. go watch it.
May 14, 2018
Complex time shifting with mind-blowing linguistics. Absolutely incredible movie that I've already seen twice. Definitely a buy.
May 12, 2018
Captivating and powerful. This movie takes it's time to set up some dense concepts, without feeling like it's dragging it's feet. Amy Adams and Jeremy Renner offer a breath of reality into what could have easily become another over the top sci-fi performance. Arrival does not assume its audience to be stupid. This is not a summer blockbuster type of sci-fi. This is a thought provoking journey into a side of the genre that is often uncharted. Kudos
May 11, 2018
didnt like it, boring
May 11, 2018
Well paced and engaging, this intelligent sci-fi happily surprised me. The film seemed to guide me into asking certain questions moments before the answers reveal. It felt like a conversation between the film and myself. OUTSTANDING!
May 8, 2018
This was a good movie. I just have to add one warning: Don't drink too much while you watch this. It all started out all sci-fi and good. Aliens hover their UFOs all over the planet. Everyone's frightened and stuff. And of course there's only one person who can save the planet: What's-her-name. A linguist from some hoity-toity university (apparently not Bezerkely). All's well and good until the end (when I started my second bottle of Merlot), when Missy Language figures out the answer to all the problems. But then, at the very end, it's all about Ian and their long-lost-unbeknownst-to-the-movie-going-public relationship. I got really cornfused at that point. What the hell did Hannah Palindrome have to do wif anything?
Apparently I'm not cerebral enough for this. Specially after a magnum of merlot.
May 5, 2018
Incredibly science fiction movie. One of the best in recent years. Better than Gravity and Interstellar!
May 2, 2018
Arrival is a cinematic masterpiece with breathtaking visuals and an intellectually challenging plot