Arrival - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Arrival Reviews

March 26, 2017
know this is how you do a movie, bravo! imaginative, great plot and acting, the visual of this is just so captivating. It makes you want to keep watching it. You do have to be very attentive so at the end you get the plot. Definitely a must see
March 26, 2017
Really enjoyed the movie "Arrival". I typically do not like sci fi movies, yet my husband does. We both loved this movie.
½ March 26, 2017
Not the kind of sci-fi movie that I wanted to watch.. and I am not even sure what I watched. Maybe watching paint dry would be have been entertaining.
½ March 26, 2017
It's unique in its own ways, but overall pretty basic alien invasion movie.
March 26, 2017
Boring Movie! Had a tough time staying awake for this one!
March 26, 2017
A movie about alien creatures that focuses more on storytelling than flashy effects, with very solid execution.
½ March 26, 2017
ok film bit of a filler not thriller
March 26, 2017
Interesting movie. I assume there will be a sequel?
Movie night with Iris.

This is an epic film, but also a small, intimate film. This is a tense film, but also an emotional, heartstrings film. Quite simply this is a fabulous film.

Amy Adams i'm sorry is the best pound-for-pound actress in the Hollywood ring. In anything Enchanted, The Muppets or the supreme subtlety and focus here.

The twist you can see coming a mile off, but it still lands an emotional thump. I was close to tears.
March 26, 2017
Different. Suspenseful. Emotional. Little Slow. Overall, Above Average Watch.
March 25, 2017
'Arrival' is a masterpiece-it was, it is, and it will be.

This film balances the alien sci-fi element with its motifs of unity and balance. The language of the aliens shows the power of balance. We see balance between individuals (e.g.: Ian and Louise), balance between countries, and balance between the sciences (e.g.: numerical methods and linguistics). These balanced converge on the main thesis: a balanced worldview, in which we make decisions seeing the end from the beginning.

This movie involved me on a deep emotional level, and makes me want to be a better person. But on to the technical side. The pacing was excellent-it keeps the viewer involved throughout. The accurate linguistics and scientific analysis delighted me. The governmental decisions were understandable, though often frustrating (this was deliberate-I was grateful for the point they were making). The visual effects were well done and not overbearing. The use of time was clever and enjoyable, reflecting the theme well.

I wholly recommend this film to everyone.
½ March 25, 2017
Very seldom does a movie gets almost everything right!
½ March 25, 2017
Well acted and beautiful cinematography, but overall kind of boring.
March 25, 2017
ARRIVAL is intriguing -- especially since it deals with linguistics, a field of study close to my heart.
½ March 25, 2017
Why is noone addressing the fact that this wonan knowingly had a child that she was fully aware would get lukemia as a teenager and die a horrible death... what a sick fuck! That is horrendous. What a horrible ending. If life is truely linear, as the film suggests, then she should've already been content with having a daughter and not put another human through so much torture. Sick sick sick
March 25, 2017
Um grande filme, porém no final vc percebe que faltou alguma coisa, doze espaçonaves vem pra falar pra mulher que ela consegue prever o futuro e que as visões de que a filha dela irão morrer é uma previsão do que irá acontecer...
March 25, 2017
I tried to like it - but - as hard as I tried - I could not. It was still worth the rental price. The critters were cool looking. Language was intriguing. The twist at the end could not save it though.
March 25, 2017
I really didn't know what to expect going in. Thought this might be just another sci if flick and was also skeptical after seeing all of the great reviews. However I gave it a try and am glad I did. Very interesting and moving. I would definitely recommend this to anyone. Some great shots too.
March 25, 2017
Excellent sound and cinematography! It really brings the film to life. Amy Adams was Great!
March 25, 2017
The first part was too slow and then the movie quickly glossed over when they started understanding the aliens language, which was really interesting.