Arrival - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Arrival Reviews

Page 1 of 273
April 24, 2018
Absolutely faultless.
April 23, 2018
In Arrival besuchen Aliens die Erde. Dieser Science-Fiction-Film ist teils beängstigend und dramatisch. Er schildert den Mensch-Alien-Kontakt auf die tiefgründige Art. Der Regisseur Denis Villeneuve hat sich mit dem Film Sicario aus dem Jahr 2015 schon einen Namen gemacht. In Arrival spielen Amy Adams und Jeremy Renner auf überzeugende Art die Hauptrollen. Für Sci-Fi-Fans ein Muss.
½ April 23, 2018
[Ger Review]
Kommunikation als wichtigstes Instrument der Welt. Gerade in der Zeit des Internets ist es möglich mit jedem Menschen auf der Welt zu kommunizieren, da ist es verständlich, dass es auch Missverständnisse gibt. Dass diese aufgrund von Übersetzern gelöst werden können ist offensichtlich. Aber wie geht man mit Lebewesen um, die eine komplett unerforschte Sprache sprechen? Dieses Thema setzt Arrival brillant um. Er konzentriert sich komplett auf die ersten Interaktionen zwischen der Menschheit und den Aliens, ohne dabei in eine CGI-Schlacht auszuarten, Dabei ist er keineswegs langweilig. Es steh immer eine Spannung im Raum und man möchte die ganze Zeit wissen, warum die Aliens auf der Erde sind und was sie den Menschen mitteilen wollen. Amy Adams kauf man die Rolle der Linguistin und Jeremy Renner die Rolle des Physikers auf jeden Fall ab.Der Film bietet großartige Bilder und einen überwältigenden Sound. Auch die Musik ist sehr schön. An dem Film gibt es eigentlich nur auszusetzen, dass er anfangs ein wenig zu langsam beginnt (dabei aber auch nicht langweilig ist). Ein Film den man auf jedenfalls gesehen haben muss! 9/10
April 23, 2018
An excellent piece of science fiction without any explosions, gun fights or space battles that included a surprisingly emotional subplot that did not feel tacked-on.
April 20, 2018
Amy Adams is Oscar material in an incredibly original story with an unguessable, amazing ending. Kudos to the linguists behind the movie.
April 14, 2018
A super cool movie about trying to learn an alien language. Good acting and the story was very interesting and had me hooked.
April 11, 2018
This movie gave me chills!
½ April 4, 2018
The aliens are back and this time there is no Jeff Goldblum on a yellow school bus!
I hereby officially announce the beginning of the Oscar race, let the fight begin! It took a while this year! Gosh, as soon as this movie arrives it begs to be praised and saying what makes it good is as easy as understanding quantum physics. First of all, you have to understand that, more than anything, this is a character study. No, it's not a movie about aliens, an invasion, or even a conflict between beings from outer space and humans. It's primarily about a character and her inner conflict and psyche. We're start to finish with Louise to learn of what she makes of what's happening around her and how that is changing her. This is done beautifully in Sicario and in that sense it seems pretty similar the way we follow Kate (from Sicario) and Louise, making sure that we're constantly enthralled in order to understand them. This is done by shifting a little bit of the attention from what surrounds Louise to her expression and by having a performance to match it. No surprise there, but Amy Adams just blows it out of the park giving a subtle and realistic performance that is absolutely translucent to the character's inner state. Many haven't noticed, but Amy is the new Leo, having 5 nominations and no win but this season, whether with this one or Nocturnal Animals, I believe she has a good shot of getting that gold! Furthermore, this film not only has a fantastically substantiated script and plot, but also has the technical side to support it: the cinematography is rich and very identifiable, the sound design is well thought out and the aliens and ship's design is marvellous. The music is also close to perfection as Jóhannsson accentuates and gives even more meaning to important moments, and keeps quiet when he should. I also like that this movie takes such a fresh approach to the genre, as it manages to make a film about a translator actually damn gripping! I'm a fan of this trend of intellectual astute sci-fi movies that is being developed recently. And like Interstellar, this one comes with an even better grounded and believable twist. The end gives meaning to the film, making it more than just about some aliens, but about communication, loss and the way we conceive time. Never this year have I felt the need to see a film exactly after I saw it and Arrival is, undoubtedly, the best movie I saw this post-Oscar year. Please, if there's a movie to spend money on right now, this is it!
April 3, 2018
Simplesmente uma obra de arte.
April 2, 2018
What a beautiful, stunning, gentle and oddly spiritual experience. I felt so many things after I'd watched this masterpiece.
½ April 1, 2018
This movie challenges you to think through the possibilities, including aliens, the time/space conundrum, and complex relationships. Smart movie.
½ March 24, 2018
Probably one of the worst waste of money I have had the unfortunate experience to view.
March 23, 2018
A Heptapod story - about them and in their language. Mindblowing!
March 21, 2018
Amy Adams and Jeremy Renner and great actors but even that cant save this film. This is part of the new effort to make 'intelectual' and 'deep' movies that falls on its face. I place the predictability and yan factors pretty high only saved somewhat by Amy and Jeremy. The plot was moderate but again when you already know the ending half way through the movie even great acting can't save it. Its a find movie to put on while you're cleaning the house on a rainy saturday morning, but I would not go to this expecting to walk out wowed or anything. I give it 3 stars only for the acting.
½ March 18, 2018
So are they trying to say that the reasons that the aliens were here were to task us with a linguistics puzzle requiring human collaboration/unification to solve which would then be rewarded with the gift of a "crystal ball" language? Oh those crafty aliens always have something up their sleeve. That's quite a reach of a premise and for serious sci-fi, doesn't pass the sniff test. I would think an advanced alien race would have a much more direct, less puzzling approach - nice try, I guess. I must say I love Amy Adams and will faithfully watch any movie she's in start to finish as I'm very fond of her delicate, thoughtful style. She is excellent in this and carries the movie all by herself. If you have the patience to wait until the puzzle gets solved and can deal with the far-fetched premise, you may enjoy this.
½ March 18, 2018
Reviewed 2.24.18. It's marriage of an intriguing overarching theme and a deeply personal story line resonates long after the curtain drops.

This is not an action film, instead its graceful construction generates thrills for the mind. The motion is all internal, and that's what makes it special.

The best alien movies have nothing to do with the visitors, except for the mirror they hold up to us. Arrival excels in that blinding reflection.

No silly alien battles or cliched scares, just a masterfully crafted script and deft directing. Along with top-notch performances, led by the ever reliable Amy Adams, it's a modern classic for the emotionally literate class.

The less of the plot you know going in, the better. I won't risk any spoilers. Suffice it to say it's a movie for thinkers, for lovers, and for those that truly understand what's important in life.
½ March 18, 2018
Just finished watching it on Amazon. How did I miss it in theaters?

There are so many layers to this story I will need to watch it at least once more. This is not mindless drivel. This is not merely entertainment. This is a thought experiment. And it's glorious.
March 13, 2018
Original and well made. A good portrayal of hypothetical alien interactions. I kept thinking through out about what I would do In those situations. Compelling music too.
March 12, 2018
It might not seem like much, but ends up delivering much more than expected. Complies and goes that extra mile sci Fi is meant to accomplish. It is a "must" (a very enjoyable and EMOTIOnal one) for all sci Fi true lovers.
½ March 11, 2018
one of the most creative, inventive films out there. a true original.
Page 1 of 273