Arrival - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Arrival Reviews

½ May 25, 2017
This was actually really good. I am not typically an alien fan, but I thought this movie was different. It's one of those alien films that connect emotionality with story telling and complexity. I think people should watch it. I thought some of the dialogues were weak, but other than this great movie.
May 25, 2017
Best sci fi film I have seen!
May 24, 2017
amazing movie, very intriguing and interesting throughout. very powerful and moving. beautifully shot.. great directing

SPOILERS

i was worried this movie would have a vague abstract ending open to interpretation. when they started showing the play dough alien and her teaching the language i started getting so confused, wondering if it was time travel and she was affecting the past. then, in one climactic moment, the reveal. i went from not know wth was going on to understanding everything perfectly. the twist brought me to tears from how awesome it was. everything made sense at that moment. and it was a more perfect and satisfying conclusion than anything i would have come up with. and as with all great twists, they tell you the twist early in the movie, when they said something like "i thought this was the beginning, but they see time differently than us"

this movie also has a lot you can discuss afterwards. like the reason she got divorced (presumably because she told him their daughter would die and he was upset that she didn't tell him beforehand because he wouldn't have gone through with it). and the concept that the language is circular, and it doesn't matter if you read it forwards or backwards. that parallels her ability to now see time differently, not linearly. it also relates to the daughter's name being a palindrome. hannahannahannah.

She got married and had a baby knowing she would get divorced and lose the baby. I think that's the difference with seeing time all at once instead of linearly. The way we see time we would be sad at every moment after she died. The way the aliens look at time they see all of time at once so they always see that she died, but at the same time they always see every moment while she was alive and loved each other. That's kind of like when people say I wouldn't have changed anything because I cherish the time we had together. Some people can handle it well, other people would rather not even deal with it if they could avoid the pain that comes after. But I think if we could remember everything equally instead of just remembering mostly the last thing that happened , it would change our mind (2 viewings)
½ May 24, 2017
Interesting but boring. Fell asleep at one point, I think.
½ May 24, 2017
This science fiction film contains numerous themes including those of circles, and beginnings and endings. Although the storyline is not exactly original, it does bring a new angle to the genre. The result is an entertaining and sometimes gripping film. AAN
½ May 23, 2017
This movie was absolute garbage. I want my hour and fifty minutes back. Wtf are people on thinking this is anywhere close to good?
May 22, 2017
78% - Arrival is a freshly made science fiction film that is ultimately a well-done piece of drama.
May 22, 2017
Maybe I just need to watch it twice but I got lost with the story and didn't see the point of the aliens and their message.
½ May 21, 2017
The actors sometimes just do it for me but also a good back in forth in the story keeps it flowing.
May 21, 2017
Vert indepth, great sci-fi with time travel neatly woven in it
May 21, 2017
The story of the film is interesting but I found a few scences boring.
The acting is nevertheless very good and convincing.
½ May 21, 2017
Quella di Arrival non Ŕ uno sci-fi muscolare ma Ŕ una fantascienza al contempo politica e sentimentale. Villeneuve (il regista, ndr) Ŕ bravo a bilanciare queste due sfere senza cadere nel banale o nel patetico e sfrutta appieno la struttura narrativa non lineare per coinvolgere e sorprendere lo spettatore. Menzione di merito anche per la potente fotografia che sa giocare con prospettive e (mancanza di) colore. Al di lÓ dei paradossi temporali e delle inesattezze scientifiche in cui rischia di inciampare, Arrival Ŕ un film riuscito che si fa portavoce di un messaggio non proprio di moda in questo periodo storico: la mancanza di comunicazione porta alla rovina, solo aprendoci allo "straniero" l'uomo pu˛ raggiungere un nuovo stato di pace e prosperitÓ.
½ May 21, 2017
What if, you talked to aliens. What if, they showed the future. What if then, would you do.
½ May 21, 2017
Amy Adams did a good job. I didn't understand the inner meaning of this movie. I may have to watch it again to know what is it all about?
May 21, 2017
interesting movie that will make you think afterwards. Amy Adams was superb in her role
May 20, 2017
Most of the film moves very nicely, but the ending is what BLOWS MY MIND! Suddenly, everything in the film makes sense and I think it's a masterpiece (This is what I wished District 9 would be)
May 20, 2017
I love the fact that this is about first contact with an extra-terrestrial live form minus the repetitive Hollywood action frag fest when everything blows up as if it was Michael Bay-ized stashed together with a bunch of product placement (*cough* TF4 *cough*)

Instead, it concentrates more on a more grounded sci-fi concept of communications as two different civilizations are trying to understand each other. Some people may dislike it to the core for the lack of action. And yet, they don't realize that 'Arrival' focuses on the concept of time as a sort 'loop' rather than the normal linear perception (being the default order of Past-Present-Future) Furthermore, what was considered the highlight of the show was that the flow of the story is almost representational to the alien glyph, in such a way that 'the ending of the turns out to be its beginning', like a sentence arranged in
a circular pattern without a full stop.

Given its strength, however, the movie is not without some of its weaknesses. >>> SPOILER ALERT <<< It still left me out a lot of questions which sometimes does not make any sense. For example:

_How does Louise knows about General Chang's wife's last dying words? Why did she called him in the first place? If she can convince him to stand down his force, how did she actually do it?
_Why did the aliens took only Louise up to their ship?
_What makes them depart earth altogether at the end?
_The question of 'What was your purpose here?' still being left unanswered. Almost feel like a cliffhanger.

Other than its flaws, 'Arrival' is no doubt one of the best sci-fi out there in 2016. If you enjoy a good film that keeps your grey juices pumping, then this is one of those recommendations. If you don't, perhaps you should spend some time watching the Screen Junkies reviews before making up your mind.
May 20, 2017
wow. so we'll done. tense and such an emotional punch in the end. beautiful
May 19, 2017
Good story line, but I was expecting more. Very interesting plot.
½ May 19, 2017
The ending confused me but when I got it, I liked it. Many people didn't.