Art School Confidential - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Art School Confidential Reviews

½ February 16, 2017
this movie went to town with ambitious, arty-farty and hormones-raging youngsters.
February 16, 2017
malkovich and broadbent are good in this scary dramedy about the perils and difficulties of ArtSchool (and being officially enrolled in the College of Arts & Social Sciences, I should be scared!)
January 30, 2017
This was alright in the beginning, but when it went left, it went waaaaay left... definitely didn't see that coming from the outset.
January 23, 2017
A few entertaining bits, but mostly just a film about a whiny male protagonist with such a fragile ego and so much entitlement that he's willing to throw his life away for a woman he barely knows. The worst bit is that the director romanticises it and it ends "happily" for him. Dead creepy.
January 12, 2017
Gave this a re-watch off the To-Watch Pile and I have to say that it still holds up amazingly well in the way that it skewers the art world and how we perceive talent and self expression.

I truly hope to see more screen-writing from Dan Clowes, since his voice translates so well to comedy gold onscreen.

Recommended.
½ July 30, 2016
The opening sequence turned out to be pretty telling of the movie's core weaknesses. It just didn't feel like how someone who really got hit in the face like that would depict it. Persistent as this off, play-pretend feel turned out to be here, this is offset by some good moments and an ending that almost comes together. Until the final sequence anyway.
July 8, 2016
Loved the irony of this movie. And the main actor has enough gaucherie to carry the whole thing off. The comedy of the class characters is really funny. Jim Broadbent's character has the cynicism to balance the movie. Perhaps the murder theme and all those involved in it goes overboard, but what the heck? I stayed with it till the end not knowing where it would lead. Unpredictable. Be prepared for surprises in this movie, that's all I can say. And Beethoven's Emperor concerto is used to perfection.
June 22, 2016
Laugh-out-loud quirky and brutally cynical, this dark comedy parodying art schools, its cultural scene and the arty-farty oddball populace is simultaneously wryly funny and sad.
½ January 31, 2016
A refreshing look at the pretensions and insecurities bedeviling young people trying to "make it" in the art world. The climax of the film perfectly satirizes the modern day phenomenon of "notoriety" art passing for the real thing. Throw in the mix unrequited love, a serial killer and an undercover cop trying to become the next Pollock and you have the ideal send up of the art world with its contrived snobbery. The critics were waaay too hard on this little gem.
January 29, 2016
The first half hour is funny.
October 28, 2015
Rather satisfying comedy that's worth watching again.
September 14, 2015
Misses it's mark some but hits inside enough of the lines to watch....and laugh.
½ July 26, 2015
There is some potential here. Unfortunately, the film is never able to become a picture that says anything. It just exists. It is watchable, but utterly forgettable.
½ April 30, 2015
A hilarious first half opens up to a darker second. Asks some pretty pointed questions about art and the people who make it as well.
½ April 18, 2015
You will love this movie if you are an artist. most people are not, hence the low scores, but i thought it was hilarious
February 16, 2015
Had characters and motivation been more fully developed, it could have risen above mediocre. Clever premise and solid cast with uninspired execution.
½ January 3, 2015
This movie should have been great. It should have been smart, sarcastic, and hilarious... only it wasn't. Every problem I had with Ghost World is magnified in Art School Confidential with only some of the positives. Yes, the movie is funny at times but a majority of it relies on the art school stereotypes we'd expect. Jerome is not a likable character at all. he's a self-centered dick. The murder plot is completely unnecessary and is only in to make the film over 80 minutes. I'm not a Terry Zwigoff fan but I know for a fact that he's knows how much he fucked up a movie that should have been a bullseye.
March 11, 2014
+ Bold, fresh sense of humour. Never compromises.
- Peters out near the finish line.
December 30, 2013
an indy flick with a great cast but a story that turns out a little thin. too bad it could have been a way better and darker comedy if the writers had come up with some better and less conventional ideas.
August 15, 2013
I liked it. It was really entertaining from the start. Very interesting story great acting.