Atonement - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Atonement Reviews

½ April 4, 2017
Atonement suffers from the "Full Metal Jacket" problem. The first half at the Tallis mansion is a brilliantly made, tightly constructed, and well paced. The second half is a disastrous mess that is so drawn out and poorly paced I really couldn't believe it. There are so many holes and baffling sections that is "explained" in the end scene, but in a way that feels like a cheat more than an answer.
The film is also soul crushingly sad, so watch with caution.
April 1, 2017
Spoiler Alert: This movie will break your heart, but to be honest it's worth it. As it kept going it only became more interesting through the excellent acting and brilliant writing. It also happens to be a very beautiful and well shot film with powerfully striking scenes. My only complaint is that it tried to have a happy ending, and that in effect ruined the beautiful sadness it brought out in me.
March 20, 2017
After finally seeing it I still wonder what all the fuss is about. The acting is adequate yet nothing special (thankfully recognized by the Oscars). In fact, McAvoy gives a stronger performance than in 'Last King of Scotland'. The story & narrative fails to live up to the films visual beauty & brilliant camera play, yet despite this there are often moments where you feel the director is being too clever for his own good - particularly with the long unedited shot on the beach when the troops are waiting to return home. A dynamic piece of film-making such as that scene should have been used in a movie focussing on the toils of war, not one that uses it as a background to only part of it's story.
March 6, 2017
Pacing is poor and the characters are quite detestable. Not an enjoyable watch, and a generally forgettable film.
½ February 20, 2017
I cannot believe I never made myself watch this before. This is just an incredible film! The cinematography is everything. The feeling it gives you is unexplainable. It's a bit melancholy but sparkling. Such an irony. It never failed to give me chills from start to end! The progression of the events can be quite slow for some viewers but I think that is just how it's supposed to be - every emotion of the moment should be perceived by all of your senses. I'm personally not pleased with Kiera's performance though. She was okay, but being okay is definitely not fine when you're acting next to an extraordinarily magnificient actor like James McAvoy! They could've chosen a better Cecilia. I still love this film though and will definitely recommend it to anyone who ask me of a great movie. Hats off to Atonement!
February 12, 2017
I love you. I'll wait for you. Come back. Come back to me.
January 30, 2017
This 2007 film is an astonishing incredibly sad drama about a young girl who separates a couple from a lovely future by lying about a crime he did not commit and her attempts throughout her life to seek redemption. A beautifully adapted tale with an Academy Award-winner breathtaking score.
January 10, 2017
Mcavoy is great. I personally can't stand Knightly. Good film. Emotionally gripping
January 2, 2017
I feel very mixed about this film, as it has great scenes and is very well acted, but it seems stuck at some points. Perhaps this is how Wright wants you to feel, but this didn't make it more enjoyable for me. This makes for an interesting film with potential to be a classic.
December 11, 2016
Based on a great book
November 1, 2016
stunning. sound effects were beautiful- especially the intermixing of the typewriter and musical score. very somber, but powerful.
½ October 27, 2016
An honest witness does not deceive, but a false witness pours out lies. Proverbs 14:5
½ October 23, 2016
Sad and tragic and all the feels.
October 4, 2016
It's fine but nothing special
September 19, 2016
Atonement is a period piece that shows how a series of misunderstandings can potentially destroy a man's life. When you look at the cast list you will see why the biggest strength of this film is the acting. James McAvoy has some particularly complex emotional moments and I thought he handled them brilliantly. The story structure was a concern for me, because it was a bit disorienting and sometimes made it a challenge to see what exactly was going on when. It didn't flow particularly because of how they would replay scenes from a different perspective. Once I was comfortable that I knew what was going on within this strange narrative I was fully engaged. The setups and payoffs in the first half were pretty obvious, but that didn't stop them from being effective. When we break into the third act is when my interest really waned. I was more interested in the relationship stuff between Keira Knightley and McAvoy, but the film decided it was time to show us the devastation of war. There is one sequence that goes on seemingly for ages, and the only reason I could find for this scene to be in the film is that it is trying to convince us that war is hell. It just didn't fit in the rest of the movie I was watching. Without delving into spoilers I will just say, the conclusion is tough to accept, but I think that speaks to my investment in the characters leading up to that point. Atonement is certainly a beautiful film with amazing performances, but the story failed to deliver all the way from start to finish for me.
September 17, 2016
The believable chemistry between James McAvoy and Keira Knightley made me support their perspectives throughout this powerful story.
August 25, 2016
A good movie that could have been great if not for mild incoherency in its middle segments.
August 8, 2016
You know it's a great movie when as soon as it ends, you go back and watch the first half of it again. What makes this movie so great especially is the cinematography and screen play, though the acting is quite fine as well. Very unique approach to a period film. Very intense. Very beautiful!
June 27, 2016
Atonement is a solid, touching and expertly-crafted drama, thanks to its impressive production values (its cinematography and score are superb) and excellent performances, particularly from Ronan and McAvoy.