Atonement - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Atonement Reviews

March 17, 2018
it was ok not the best
½ February 14, 2018
This movie took itself very seriously. I, however, was just bored and confused.
½ February 14, 2018
52%
Saw this on 22/5/16
After a rather explosive first 45 minutes, the film succumbs into boredom, slow paced thick melodrama and a lack of genuine romance is always felt. James MacAvoy gives a fine performance and the film has some twists towards the end and a few horrid war images. However, it still lacks in romantic heft and emotional content.
February 12, 2018
i finished my play..

Atonement

Within few minutes you will fall in this world i.e. so beautiful and horrific at the same time with the help of probably one of the best background score of all time (it may remind you of Birdman's background music). Atonement is the perfect mixture of two antonyms for when there is beauty in it one feels full of hope but when it gets dark, it may get difficult to digest the practicality of it. Hats off to Joe Wright, in its such a beautiful depiction of love, pettiness and consequences of ones action, by justifying each and every frame and character of it with a mild but dark tone. James McAvoy and Keira Knightly oozes vulnerability and strength at the same time, doing some of their best work with the help of brilliant supporting cast like Saoirse Ronan. Atonement steals the show in excellent execution, brilliant writing and stellar performances all wrapped up in one of the most dreadful and heartbreaking love story ever.
February 6, 2018
(5.0 out of 6)- Faint Farewell to twist of fate
When what place we need to make everything fit right we see we don't have much time. When we see what place we go when we control all matter of time in other places we are lost in what places we create. When we see a large place with everything inside it full of timeless places that makes such places have plenty to do to only waste time in what we don't see. When other places those come from we make place for them and put others in their place when time is on our side when we are wealthy. When what others place more then others they see what time will bring. When what place we go in our spare time we see it takes to other places more beautiful & erotic. When we see what places others go in what we don't see when we are not old enough we see the place where to go when what we learn in time we learn now. When what place we go are other people's places when we have no time but the present.

When we see what embarassing places we go we only see time can only takes us out of such places. When we see such places that our eyes have not seen or read but know overtime we see such places as unwelcoming or welcoming. When we see what places we both yearn to be in the same place we see what such time brought us together to see, when we have been seeing it for awhile. When what place we go we see we better be sure we know we are going such same places together when we need to know what time we are spending is love not lust.

When we see the little places we go that lies may take us when time is on our side to make up as we wish. When what we misplace we retrieve when time away we find those missing. When what we see we place not what others place when what we know over time such people don't go foreign places. When what foreign places we end up are places far from home when we are moved place to place when we are given time that pushes us further away from eachother. When what places we see time makes time for us we see such the place in time and such places are not appropriate when we are in different places to know what time has taken from us. When we see what places we wonder to, to know such places others arrive to first when time can make the difference between life and death. When what place we see those hold for us, we see those places in time where we didn't see the signs. When what foreign places others don't know within time we see they know other places but not all places to know they are too young for such place for adults. When what our rightful place belongs too we see time can't take away.

When we see the place where time calls for us and many to serve when it's a war to be fought. When we see a place in time where what little we have to go with we make use when time brings us to war and time brings us moments of peace to know what time is valued in such places to use wisely. When what places time doesn't end sooner we see such places not coming to an end anytime soon. When such places we all serve such time in such places when being in foreign places we don't want to be in when we wish we were in other places. When we see such places we don't want others to serve permanent time to when it's death to be attached to those past places when time doesn't heal old wounds.

When such places we reach we use other places when the time is right to atone for such places we have been through. When some places others reach they recall such places in what they possess over time that others don't have. When what place we reach are those places where fate gives another chance to be together momentarily as time seperates them again. When we see what places we are in, we see time puts us in permanently when we have no way out of such places. When what place we are in are low places when we are responsible for giving those the wrongful place they must serve the rest of their time alive. When we see what place we will grow up to be when time puts ourselves alone when the only man we loved we betrayed push us all in different places. When we see what such places holds when it's our time to face our own penance for what we done to go to the same places we sent those to die. When such places we don't see where death takes lives we sent them for there is not always time in this world to fix what we have done.
December 7, 2017
Fantastic film, the one scene in this movie is the beach scene. It was very well directed when they put the beach scene with all the militaries and etc people of events folding, it was a one shot scene that continued with those people in place to play their roles for the one shot as the camera was moving. Amazing film ð??¥
½ November 20, 2017
Such a good movie--but stop before the last ten minutes if you want a happy ending. We cried into our tea watching it.
November 12, 2017
Nice movie with solid acting. However, the ending seemed a little rushed. I wish they could've explored the relationship between Lola and Paul further.
October 27, 2017
Touching companion piece to the non-fiction military history book I'm currently reading: "Dunkirk" by Joshua Levine.
½ October 15, 2017
A period drama which uses flashbacks, long takes, and perspectives from different characters. I'm very mixed about this film. I've never read the book but it seems that the director is trying to stay very true to the book. In doing so the film becomes a little confused when it could be so much better. but it does have a certain beauty about it
October 12, 2017
Atonement slipped my attention for a decade or so. What a film to miss!
Thoughtful. Intelligent. I even watched some period drama it seems!
The film is from 2007 based on the novel published in 2001 by Ian McEwann starring a cast including James McAvoy, Keira Knightley and Benedict Cumberbatch (with a bit of Vanessa Redgrave near the end!).
It begins in 1935 before the outbreak of World War Two in a posh mansion that could come straight from a period drama I refuse to watch!
A 13 year old called Briony has a rather startling imagination. You see she writes plays it seems and has a teenage crush on her older sister Cecilia's adult boyfriend Robbie (James McAvoy and Keira Knightley).
When she witnesses the couple's sexed up relationship she exacted a revenge on Robbie by falsely accusing him of a rape she witnesses ruining Robbie's life and momentarily the blossoming relationship he enjoyed with Cecilia.
Robbie ends up in prison only earning release by serving in the harrowing battlefields of northern France in the war.
The film explores the harrowing conditions including the retreat at Dunkirk in a precursor to that film really.
Briony in later life becomes to regret her actions of her youth and by now a novelist attempts to release her guilt and atone her actions in an autobiographical novel that is explained on a talk show by pensioner Briony (Vanessa Redgrave).
I can't believe this film from director Joe Wright escaped my attention and can only atone its greatness by giving it a positive review.
September 26, 2017
Quello che mi ha stupito di più di "Espiazione" non è stata l'intelligente e originale narrazione che viene usata per raccontare la storia, né l'incredibile talento degli attori protagonisti, e nemmeno l'uso perfetto di una colonna sonora unita ad immagini incredibili. Quello che mi ha colpito di più è stata la regia magistrale di un regista emergente dal talento sconfinato, capace di dare al film un tocco magico, un misto di poesia e dolcezza che coinvolge dall'inizio alla fine. Ho trovato perfetto il modo in cui viene narrata la storia, che riesce ad unire realtà e fantasia, in un intreccio che solo alla fine rivela i suoi segreti. Proprio nel finale si raggiunge una profondità emotiva molto toccante e commovente, che rende il film un piccolo capolavoro degli ultimi anni, un piccolo gioiello di rara bellezza.
½ September 20, 2017
Certainly justifies its all-year-round Oscar buzz, forget the Keira-haters and period drama nonsense, this is a movie of real poise, crammed with real British talent and one of the finest adaptations you are likely to see...
September 3, 2017
I'm still not sure on Atonement. I need to get a second viewing in.
August 26, 2017
"Atonement" struggles to capture the true pain and guilt that the protagonist carries, but in reaching for the moon, it falls among the stars. The film is achingly beautiful.
½ August 1, 2017
Looks great thanks to the cinematography and costume design, and paired with a melodious score and great acting all around. However, the romance and the drama around it is perhaps too sappy and, in some parts, the direction is overdone.
July 20, 2017
With heavy handed music and an uneven ratio of dull-to-touching, Atonement is somewhat of a head scratcher. The third act is excellent but I couldn't really care about what was happening in the earlier sections of the film
July 20, 2017
Atonement is a cinematic marvel, with a breathtaking score and a tear jerking storyline. Few films have actually moved me to tears, but this is certainly one of them.
July 16, 2017
Probably, if memory is correct, a couple of films radiated its weight to the viewer, and this film "Atonement" is one of them by being quite heavy. It went from corrupted innocence through different takes in perspectives to the tragic, conflicted end of the consequent thread that somehow expresses hidden feelings with emotions understood throughout. The said conflicted end goes to the similar adjective usage of both satisfaction and resolution while pulling a little farther. Mostly a war with a romance undertone being personal, within a unique turn of narration, the film accomplished its own heavy radiation for the viewer to feel, with the genuine qualities of the performances backed up by selective nice casting, cinematography and score. (B+)

(Full review TBD)