Atonement - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Atonement Reviews

½ August 1, 2017
Looks great thanks to the cinematography and costume design, and paired with a melodious score and great acting all around. However, the romance and the drama around it is perhaps too sappy and, in some parts, the direction is overdone.
July 20, 2017
With heavy handed music and an uneven ratio of dull-to-touching, Atonement is somewhat of a head scratcher. The third act is excellent but I couldn't really care about what was happening in the earlier sections of the film
July 20, 2017
Atonement is a cinematic marvel, with a breathtaking score and a tear jerking storyline. Few films have actually moved me to tears, but this is certainly one of them.
July 16, 2017
Probably, if memory is correct, a couple of films radiated its weight to the viewer, and this film "Atonement" is one of them by being quite heavy. It went from corrupted innocence through different takes in perspectives to the tragic, conflicted end of the consequent thread that somehow expresses hidden feelings with emotions understood throughout. The said conflicted end goes to the similar adjective usage of both satisfaction and resolution while pulling a little farther. Mostly a war with a romance undertone being personal, within a unique turn of narration, the film accomplished its own heavy radiation for the viewer to feel, with the genuine qualities of the performances backed up by selective nice casting, cinematography and score. (B+)

(Full review TBD)
July 13, 2017
SOOOOO GOOD!!! The adaption from the book was so well done, no complaints here! And the music was FANTASTIC.
June 28, 2017
A little uneven and scattered, especially toward the end, but beautifully filmed and wonderfully acted.
½ June 20, 2017
With solid performances and brilliant cinematography, this military romance drama has some twists in its ultimately sad tale. AAN GGWD. 1001
June 11, 2017
Absolutely phenomenal acting and a powerful plot have made this one stand out for me.
½ April 4, 2017
Atonement suffers from the "Full Metal Jacket" problem. The first half at the Tallis mansion is a brilliantly made, tightly constructed, and well paced. The second half is a disastrous mess that is so drawn out and poorly paced I really couldn't believe it. There are so many holes and baffling sections that is "explained" in the end scene, but in a way that feels like a cheat more than an answer.
The film is also soul crushingly sad, so watch with caution.
April 1, 2017
Spoiler Alert: This movie will break your heart, but to be honest it's worth it. As it kept going it only became more interesting through the excellent acting and brilliant writing. It also happens to be a very beautiful and well shot film with powerfully striking scenes. My only complaint is that it tried to have a happy ending, and that in effect ruined the beautiful sadness it brought out in me.
March 20, 2017
After finally seeing it I still wonder what all the fuss is about. The acting is adequate yet nothing special (thankfully recognized by the Oscars). In fact, McAvoy gives a stronger performance than in 'Last King of Scotland'. The story & narrative fails to live up to the films visual beauty & brilliant camera play, yet despite this there are often moments where you feel the director is being too clever for his own good - particularly with the long unedited shot on the beach when the troops are waiting to return home. A dynamic piece of film-making such as that scene should have been used in a movie focussing on the toils of war, not one that uses it as a background to only part of it's story.
March 6, 2017
Pacing is poor and the characters are quite detestable. Not an enjoyable watch, and a generally forgettable film.
½ February 20, 2017
I cannot believe I never made myself watch this before. This is just an incredible film! The cinematography is everything. The feeling it gives you is unexplainable. It's a bit melancholy but sparkling. Such an irony. It never failed to give me chills from start to end! The progression of the events can be quite slow for some viewers but I think that is just how it's supposed to be - every emotion of the moment should be perceived by all of your senses. I'm personally not pleased with Kiera's performance though. She was okay, but being okay is definitely not fine when you're acting next to an extraordinarily magnificient actor like James McAvoy! They could've chosen a better Cecilia. I still love this film though and will definitely recommend it to anyone who ask me of a great movie. Hats off to Atonement!
February 12, 2017
I love you. I'll wait for you. Come back. Come back to me.
January 30, 2017
This 2007 film is an astonishing incredibly sad drama about a young girl who separates a couple from a lovely future by lying about a crime he did not commit and her attempts throughout her life to seek redemption. A beautifully adapted tale with an Academy Award-winner breathtaking score.
January 10, 2017
Mcavoy is great. I personally can't stand Knightly. Good film. Emotionally gripping
January 2, 2017
I feel very mixed about this film, as it has great scenes and is very well acted, but it seems stuck at some points. Perhaps this is how Wright wants you to feel, but this didn't make it more enjoyable for me. This makes for an interesting film with potential to be a classic.
December 11, 2016
Based on a great book
November 1, 2016
stunning. sound effects were beautiful- especially the intermixing of the typewriter and musical score. very somber, but powerful.
½ October 27, 2016
An honest witness does not deceive, but a false witness pours out lies. Proverbs 14:5