Atonement - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Atonement Reviews

January 10, 2017
Mcavoy is great. I personally can't stand Knightly. Good film. Emotionally gripping
January 2, 2017
I feel very mixed about this film, as it has great scenes and is very well acted, but it seems stuck at some points. Perhaps this is how Wright wants you to feel, but this didn't make it more enjoyable for me. This makes for an interesting film with potential to be a classic.
December 11, 2016
Based on a great book
November 1, 2016
stunning. sound effects were beautiful- especially the intermixing of the typewriter and musical score. very somber, but powerful.
½ October 27, 2016
An honest witness does not deceive, but a false witness pours out lies. Proverbs 14:5
½ October 23, 2016
Sad and tragic and all the feels.
October 4, 2016
It's fine but nothing special
September 19, 2016
Atonement is a period piece that shows how a series of misunderstandings can potentially destroy a man's life. When you look at the cast list you will see why the biggest strength of this film is the acting. James McAvoy has some particularly complex emotional moments and I thought he handled them brilliantly. The story structure was a concern for me, because it was a bit disorienting and sometimes made it a challenge to see what exactly was going on when. It didn't flow particularly because of how they would replay scenes from a different perspective. Once I was comfortable that I knew what was going on within this strange narrative I was fully engaged. The setups and payoffs in the first half were pretty obvious, but that didn't stop them from being effective. When we break into the third act is when my interest really waned. I was more interested in the relationship stuff between Keira Knightley and McAvoy, but the film decided it was time to show us the devastation of war. There is one sequence that goes on seemingly for ages, and the only reason I could find for this scene to be in the film is that it is trying to convince us that war is hell. It just didn't fit in the rest of the movie I was watching. Without delving into spoilers I will just say, the conclusion is tough to accept, but I think that speaks to my investment in the characters leading up to that point. Atonement is certainly a beautiful film with amazing performances, but the story failed to deliver all the way from start to finish for me.
September 17, 2016
The believable chemistry between James McAvoy and Keira Knightley made me support their perspectives throughout this powerful story.
August 25, 2016
A good movie that could have been great if not for mild incoherency in its middle segments.
August 8, 2016
You know it's a great movie when as soon as it ends, you go back and watch the first half of it again. What makes this movie so great especially is the cinematography and screen play, though the acting is quite fine as well. Very unique approach to a period film. Very intense. Very beautiful!
June 27, 2016
Atonement is a solid, touching and expertly-crafted drama, thanks to its impressive production values (its cinematography and score are superb) and excellent performances, particularly from Ronan and McAvoy.
½ June 21, 2016
Quite simply one of the best movies of 2007. It's a simple premise in which one decision changes the lives forever of three people. Everything about the movie is lovely from the score to the direction to the acting.
June 18, 2016
Sound transitions are amazing.
June 16, 2016
This is a truly great film! The cinematography is wonderful. The story and acting are great, and the music is especially good.
June 6, 2016
Atonement is one of those movies where after watching, you have to sit a moment and let it all wash over you, not the facts, but the emotions. This has become one of my favorites, one I'll revisit time and again. Josie
½ May 22, 2016
72%
Saw this on 22/5/16
After a rather explosive first 45 minutes, the film succumbs into boredom, slow paced thick melodrama and a lack of genuine romance is always felt. James MacAvoy gives a fine performance and the film has some twists towards the end and a few horrid war images. However, it still lacks in romantic heft and emotional content.
May 22, 2016
Beautiful acting by Keira Knightley and James McAvoy. The causation created by one lie invokes a rippling effect that destroys the happiness of three people, only to be redeemed by the dream ending to unite the tragic lovers, which can be seen as an act of atonement.
½ May 8, 2016
Perfectly emotional, shows the power of perspectives