Atonement - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Atonement Reviews

½ October 15, 2017
A period drama which uses flashbacks, long takes, and perspectives from different characters. I'm very mixed about this film. I've never read the book but it seems that the director is trying to stay very true to the book. In doing so the film becomes a little confused when it could be so much better. but it does have a certain beauty about it
October 12, 2017
Atonement slipped my attention for a decade or so. What a film to miss!
Thoughtful. Intelligent. I even watched some period drama it seems!
The film is from 2007 based on the novel published in 2001 by Ian McEwann starring a cast including James McAvoy, Keira Knightley and Benedict Cumberbatch (with a bit of Vanessa Redgrave near the end!).
It begins in 1935 before the outbreak of World War Two in a posh mansion that could come straight from a period drama I refuse to watch!
A 13 year old called Briony has a rather startling imagination. You see she writes plays it seems and has a teenage crush on her older sister Cecilia's adult boyfriend Robbie (James McAvoy and Keira Knightley).
When she witnesses the couple's sexed up relationship she exacted a revenge on Robbie by falsely accusing him of a rape she witnesses ruining Robbie's life and momentarily the blossoming relationship he enjoyed with Cecilia.
Robbie ends up in prison only earning release by serving in the harrowing battlefields of northern France in the war.
The film explores the harrowing conditions including the retreat at Dunkirk in a precursor to that film really.
Briony in later life becomes to regret her actions of her youth and by now a novelist attempts to release her guilt and atone her actions in an autobiographical novel that is explained on a talk show by pensioner Briony (Vanessa Redgrave).
I can't believe this film from director Joe Wright escaped my attention and can only atone its greatness by giving it a positive review.
September 26, 2017
Quello che mi ha stupito di più di "Espiazione" non è stata l'intelligente e originale narrazione che viene usata per raccontare la storia, né l'incredibile talento degli attori protagonisti, e nemmeno l'uso perfetto di una colonna sonora unita ad immagini incredibili. Quello che mi ha colpito di più è stata la regia magistrale di un regista emergente dal talento sconfinato, capace di dare al film un tocco magico, un misto di poesia e dolcezza che coinvolge dall'inizio alla fine. Ho trovato perfetto il modo in cui viene narrata la storia, che riesce ad unire realtà e fantasia, in un intreccio che solo alla fine rivela i suoi segreti. Proprio nel finale si raggiunge una profondità emotiva molto toccante e commovente, che rende il film un piccolo capolavoro degli ultimi anni, un piccolo gioiello di rara bellezza.
½ September 20, 2017
Certainly justifies its all-year-round Oscar buzz, forget the Keira-haters and period drama nonsense, this is a movie of real poise, crammed with real British talent and one of the finest adaptations you are likely to see...
September 3, 2017
I'm still not sure on Atonement. I need to get a second viewing in.
August 26, 2017
"Atonement" struggles to capture the true pain and guilt that the protagonist carries, but in reaching for the moon, it falls among the stars. The film is achingly beautiful.
½ August 1, 2017
Looks great thanks to the cinematography and costume design, and paired with a melodious score and great acting all around. However, the romance and the drama around it is perhaps too sappy and, in some parts, the direction is overdone.
July 20, 2017
With heavy handed music and an uneven ratio of dull-to-touching, Atonement is somewhat of a head scratcher. The third act is excellent but I couldn't really care about what was happening in the earlier sections of the film
July 20, 2017
Atonement is a cinematic marvel, with a breathtaking score and a tear jerking storyline. Few films have actually moved me to tears, but this is certainly one of them.
July 16, 2017
Probably, if memory is correct, a couple of films radiated its weight to the viewer, and this film "Atonement" is one of them by being quite heavy. It went from corrupted innocence through different takes in perspectives to the tragic, conflicted end of the consequent thread that somehow expresses hidden feelings with emotions understood throughout. The said conflicted end goes to the similar adjective usage of both satisfaction and resolution while pulling a little farther. Mostly a war with a romance undertone being personal, within a unique turn of narration, the film accomplished its own heavy radiation for the viewer to feel, with the genuine qualities of the performances backed up by selective nice casting, cinematography and score. (B+)

(Full review TBD)
July 13, 2017
SOOOOO GOOD!!! The adaption from the book was so well done, no complaints here! And the music was FANTASTIC.
June 28, 2017
A little uneven and scattered, especially toward the end, but beautifully filmed and wonderfully acted.
½ June 20, 2017
With solid performances and brilliant cinematography, this military romance drama has some twists in its ultimately sad tale. AAN GGWD. 1001
June 11, 2017
Absolutely phenomenal acting and a powerful plot have made this one stand out for me.
½ April 4, 2017
Atonement suffers from the "Full Metal Jacket" problem. The first half at the Tallis mansion is a brilliantly made, tightly constructed, and well paced. The second half is a disastrous mess that is so drawn out and poorly paced I really couldn't believe it. There are so many holes and baffling sections that is "explained" in the end scene, but in a way that feels like a cheat more than an answer.
The film is also soul crushingly sad, so watch with caution.
April 1, 2017
Spoiler Alert: This movie will break your heart, but to be honest it's worth it. As it kept going it only became more interesting through the excellent acting and brilliant writing. It also happens to be a very beautiful and well shot film with powerfully striking scenes. My only complaint is that it tried to have a happy ending, and that in effect ruined the beautiful sadness it brought out in me.
March 20, 2017
After finally seeing it I still wonder what all the fuss is about. The acting is adequate yet nothing special (thankfully recognized by the Oscars). In fact, McAvoy gives a stronger performance than in 'Last King of Scotland'. The story & narrative fails to live up to the films visual beauty & brilliant camera play, yet despite this there are often moments where you feel the director is being too clever for his own good - particularly with the long unedited shot on the beach when the troops are waiting to return home. A dynamic piece of film-making such as that scene should have been used in a movie focussing on the toils of war, not one that uses it as a background to only part of it's story.
March 6, 2017
Pacing is poor and the characters are quite detestable. Not an enjoyable watch, and a generally forgettable film.
½ February 20, 2017
I cannot believe I never made myself watch this before. This is just an incredible film! The cinematography is everything. The feeling it gives you is unexplainable. It's a bit melancholy but sparkling. Such an irony. It never failed to give me chills from start to end! The progression of the events can be quite slow for some viewers but I think that is just how it's supposed to be - every emotion of the moment should be perceived by all of your senses. I'm personally not pleased with Kiera's performance though. She was okay, but being okay is definitely not fine when you're acting next to an extraordinarily magnificient actor like James McAvoy! They could've chosen a better Cecilia. I still love this film though and will definitely recommend it to anyone who ask me of a great movie. Hats off to Atonement!
February 12, 2017
I love you. I'll wait for you. Come back. Come back to me.