Australia - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Australia Reviews

½ November 28, 2016
This movie is very beautyful and have a Great story and cast.
I know that I saw it in the cinema but just like that time and now when I saw this movie again on Tv I feelt like someting
was realy off in the end.
I use to realy like this kind of movie but even for me this gets to much or maybe not enough even.
Some parts is realy bad looking and obvious fake, like when they ride in many places.
The romance is god to me but many relationships is weard, like how the Boys father is and grandfather meens
His father wasnt White and "perfect" either? Actually I never get how all know eatch other.
The Boys was alot like Mowgli but after alot of the same words from him he just got cute
but all ways of talking, singing? And show nature or spirits magic just didnt work to feel for him
like Mowgli.
H jackan did realy Great but some parts got confusing if he was realy cuddly and bleeding or more macho man,
even just what he wanted beside breeding horses was unsure.
N kidman did almost to much feelings in this one to fast, in the begining I like her but when she started to
care for the Boy more it got wrong somehow.
Over all I get tired of this movie and start to think of other things watching it, 2 Times I think it will end bad and god
but it keeps going on.
Worst is that when I watched it when tinking on other stuffs to do, see the bad parts very well and even when the cast is so
Great and act great their personality never get strong so I understand and feel with them. Some parts even just get talking but could get Great watching these places instead. So in the end I still want to see more becouse I still dont get the personality or what they will do after the eeding, but aell I just want it to end when its so long!
But when the ending Come I just feel empty, whats happening? I dont feel like its a happy ending like if it had end 1 hour earlier
It feelt cut off and what could have happen in the start to, I almost cried for N kidman in the end that show strong emotion to the boy and not like it was alright.
I think the badguy do a Great work do but maybe to obvious in the begining.
So Austrailia the country gets many points for its nature and god cast in this movie but badpoints how the story is told and tries to be someting big it cant.
½ November 18, 2016
I'm someone who grew up in Darwin and all I can say is I'm pissed that they shut down the wharf for a month for such utter bullshit. This movie's portrayal of Australia has far more in common with Hollywood's cliche notions than it ever will with reality. The absolute worst thing wasn't even the acting, it was everyone's accents! I especially don't understand why they made the Aboriginal kid strain his accent so much! He would have sounded much more natural if he just talked normally.

Leave the outback alone, Hollywood. I'd rather we get no movies than this glittery nonsense.
October 30, 2016
The extravagantly beautiful landscapes and noble ambition cannot be faulted, but Mr. Luhrmann's characters are too shallow and his ideas to derivative and schmaltzy to achieve the sweeping epic for which he's aiming.
September 10, 2016
This movie was so damn entertaining! Pop some corn and enjoy the adventure!!!
August 11, 2016
This film is the definition of EPIC. I see a lot of people hating on the acting or the love story. Well fine you don't like Nicole Kidman or Mr. Wolverine fair enough. This is an Australian masterpiece "Kidman, Jackman, Luhrmann" that has a ring to it! I'm not touch with Aussie cinema (I've seen all the Mad Max films, 1981's Gallipoli, the Crocodile Dundee films, Disney's The Rescue Rangers: Down Under, a lot of late great Steve Irwins show, 2011's Sanctum, Tomorrow, When the War Began [the film - liked it; very Red Dawn, I see they've made a TV series] and Netflix's export Mako Mermaids but not much else oh and The Babadook loved that instant horror classic!).
Like much of the world I've follow Luhrmann's films since Romeo & Juliet. I guess if you expected another Moulin Rouge this was a disappointment; it's not a musical. It's highly stylist but nothing like The Great Gatsby. Haven't ventured to that continent yet but it gives one the impression it provides a faithful portrayal of life in Australia in the 1940s. Anyway I assume this is their Gone With The Wind it's a sprawling adventure. It is a longer film but the pacing is on point. So at under 3 hours those who can't sit through a single viewing it's not for them.
Like all of Luhrmann's work it's written produced and directed by him. His touch is on every frame yet its nothing like any of his other films and thats what make them great. He likes working with John Leguizamo, DiCaprio and Kidman very cool you might realize you saw one of them in another picture he made but that's it. This is a fairy tale love story, taking place in a blossoming post industrial society dealing with the racial division of a lands native culture and it's a war film. Your going to laugh and your going to cry; it is freaking epic...
½ July 19, 2016
A snubbed, quirky movie that should've got more awards love than it did.
July 6, 2016
Loved the twists and turns of this movie. Probably should have ended in the rain in front of the bar...
½ June 27, 2016
As far as epics go, it's well epic, meaning that there were places it could have stopped but didn't.  In the end (despite the 2 hr. 30 min. time stamp) I really did like this movie.  Heartbreaking that they thought that Aborigine mothers wouldn't miss their own children.  Recommended.
½ June 20, 2016
Just a very intense movie
June 16, 2016
I've always said; the greatest love stories end in tragedy, and in many ways this movie is a testament to that - especially to all those who hate it. This is an epic love story with heavy themes, exotic landscapes & an explosive war climax but doesn't end in tragedy like so many renowned love movies before it, which is probably why so many people have written/said negative things. I bet that if Kidman or Jackman (or heaven forbid the child, Nullah) had died in the end it would've "made it" alongside such epic films as Titanic, Romeo & Juliet, Pearl Harbour, Moulin Rouge etc. I actually applaud this movie for being different. Good on Baz for finally opting for a gorgeous-sweet-non-death ending after so much hardship. I loved it.
June 12, 2016
English woman drives cattle away from Japanese militia in this slow drama that never finds its narrative.
½ June 2, 2016
Soaring film since "Titanic" and "Far and Away"!!!
½ May 29, 2016
Pretty good, but about an hour too long.
May 25, 2016
If ever a movie screamed out for a prequel or sequel, it is Australia. Even with all of its technological flaws & continuity errors, the film is so dramatic and loaded with talent, that you are left wanting to know what happened before or next.
½ March 29, 2016
Such a bad movie man
½ March 28, 2016
Great movie. Took a while to get into. A little long as well. Great pairing. Hugh Jackman soaped up- OMG!!!
February 14, 2016
good film, Nicole Kidman sells this one well.
½ February 8, 2016
A fairly enjoyable Hollywood Western re-located to the Australian Northern Territory. The lady from elsewhere, the local anti-establishment hero, the murderous bad guy. The "Injuns" are here in the form of Aborignes. Tackles a few issues of the racist nature, but it is little more than an above average "Boys Own" adventure.
February 1, 2016
Beautiful, old-school adventure-melodrama. I adored it. Kidman and Jackman shine brightly in Luhrmann's sprawling epic. "Australia" is one of the best films of 2008.
½ January 31, 2016
a mess from what could have been an epoch