The Aviator - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Aviator Reviews

½ October 11, 2016
In total Scorsese style as always, grand in every way. Leo plays the eccentric founder Howard Hughes, which certainly is not lacking ambition. A sort of biographical movie itīs suppose to be, following the ups and downs of Hughes life. Leo giving it all, in a me vs the world turbulence performance.
½ October 7, 2016
This was a cool movie but I didn't completely follow all of it. Was slow at times and found it a little hard to follow along because I wasn't completely engrossed in the movie. Great acting though and I liked the way it was filmed. Might watch it again sometime in the future and try to follow the storyline more.
October 4, 2016
DiCaprio is amazing. Such a good acting performance. He does just about everything.
September 30, 2016
Worst sending evvaaaah...1-star minus ...
September 28, 2016
This is definitely one of the most beautiful film of the twenty-first century. I love everything about this film from the setting to the wonderful actors: Leonardo DiCaprio and Cate Blanchett deliver one of their best performances. Martin Scorsese is a great director and in my opinion The Aviator remains his best film to date.
½ September 27, 2016
Sometimes it's boring to be perfect
September 21, 2016
The movie that made me start to take Leonardo DiCaprio seriously as an actor. Martin Scorsese definitely delivers on this one.
September 10, 2016
Sure it's a bit long there towards the end but Leo is such a compelling character in this, it's hard to complain.
September 8, 2016
I understand that Dicaprio was trying here, and I'm afraid he tried way too hard to act like Howard Hughe's! Even Kate Beckinsale was too over the top when she tried to be dramatic! The sets and cinematography were great though!
August 23, 2016
The Aviator looks at Howard Hughes take the skies and film to extreme levels
½ August 1, 2016
In my opinion The Aviator is a masterpiece of a film, I have always been a fan of Martin Scorsese and I honestly think this is his best film to date. The film tells the story of Howard Hughes film director of films such as Devils Angels and Scarface and airplane pilot with a big passion for airplanes and with that passion he creates one of the biggest airplanes in the world, however Hughes struggles a lot with OCD and it gets worse as the film goes on. Leonardo DiCaprio plays Howard Hughes and believe it or not DiCaprio gives his best performance ever here as Howard Hughes in fact I thought it was so good that he should have won the Academy Award for best actor in a leading role for this film. The Aviator has a number of shockingly great performances that are just as great as DiCaprio's such as Alec Baldwin, Adam Scott, Jude Law, John C. Reilly, Cate Blanchet, and Kate Beckinsale. Martin Scorsese and Leonardo DiCaprio will forever be one of Hollywoods best duo (next to Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg), and they both do an absolutely magnificent job with The Aviator, I honestly feel that this is the best biographic film since A Beautiful Mind (2001). If you are a fan of both DiCaprio and Scorsese or just want a fast moving biography that still manages to be well acted than I recommend you give The Aviator a try, I can guarantee you will not be disappointed.
August 1, 2016
A worthwhile look into one of the most interesting people of the 20th century. DiCaprio is wonderful and the movie despite it's pacing issues leaves you wanting to know more about the subject. Howard Hughes could well have been the most interesting man in the world for a long time.
July 24, 2016
One of my top 5 films
½ July 23, 2016
I have to give major props to the production design team. This is such a unique looking film mixed with Martin Scorsese's excellent direction and pacing. Although it doesn't follow the basic three part story down to a tee, Leo's great performance keeps you along for the ride. Speaking of Leonardo DiCaprio, once again he plays it brilliantly. He is definitely in my Top 5 Favourite Actors. The supporting cast is also huge and all give solid performances. Alec Baldwin, John C. Reilly, Cate Blanchett, Alan Alda, etc. Overall, this is a really good biopic! It's not very often I research about what a movie is based on after watching it. This film did!
½ July 21, 2016
This one is a personal favorite.
July 17, 2016
For me this was more of a history lesson than a movie, which is okay.
July 12, 2016
A solid well put together Scorsese and DiCaprio film, though probably not their best. Although a bit long, and lacking some of the later years, it definitely made me more intrigued about the life of Howard Hughes.
July 12, 2016
A grand, visually arresting effort from director Martin Scorsese, "The Aviator" is a very strong biopic, and features one of Leonardo DiCaprio's best performances.
July 9, 2016
The life of Howard Hughes: film director and producer, aircraft designer and airline owner. A pioneer in all these fields he was a man who had a massive influence on aeronautical advancement, the airline industry and the aviation industry in general plus gave the world some movies which helped the progression of that art form (in particular, Hell's Angels, Scarface and The Outlaw). Not content with being a highly successful and wealthy businessman, leading aircraft designer and movie mogul he even test flew his own aircraft! His private life was equally epic, having long-term relationships with Katharine Hepburn and Ava Gardner and dating almost every female star in Hollywood at some stage. But he wasn't without his faults, eccentricities and demons, and these are explored here too.

A fantastic study of an incredible life. Master-director Martin Scorsese turns a linear biopic into an incredibly engaging, enthralling and illuminating journey. Despite being over 160 minutes long the time flies by, such is the pace, energy and interest of the movie. Hughes was a larger-than-life character and incredibly influential person on history and Scorsese shows him the respect he deserves.

Not that he paints him as a saint though. He is portrayed as reckless at times and, as mentioned, his personal issues are also covered, and they are covered well. We see how his eccentricities and disorders - germaphobia and obsessive-compulsive disorder plus potentially other mental issues - have a large bearing on his life and work. We also see how he manages to go on despite these. Very sensitively and appropriately covered by Scorsese.

Superb performance by Leonardo DiCaprio in the lead role. The movie got him his second Oscar nomination, and first for a leading role, and he was unlucky to lose out, having to compete with a brilliant performance by Jamie Foxx in Ray.

Cate Blanchett is superb as Katharine Hepburn and well deserved her Best Supporting Actress Oscar (her first Oscar and her second nomination). Alan Alda got a Best Supporting Actor nomination for playing Senator Brewster.

The remainder of the cast is star-studded too: John C Reilly, Kate Beckinsale (as Ava Gardner), Alec Baldwin, Jude Law (as Errol Flynn), Ian Holm, Danny Huston. Even the minor parts include Gwen Stefani (as Jean Harlow) and Willem Defoe and the musical numbers include Loudon Wainwright, Rufus Wainwright and Martha Wainwright!

A masterpiece.
June 29, 2016
good movie, outstanding performances (Dicaprio is one of the best living actors right now)