Baby Doll - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Baby Doll Reviews

½ August 6, 2016
The complexities, memorable characters and twisted reality from Tennessee Williams makes for a good thought provoking film.
December 13, 2015
Very much stood the test of time. Eli and Carroll keep you glued to your seat.
September 5, 2015
Film debut of Eli Herschel Wallach as a sexy Sicilian in this intense, steamy movie starring Carroll Baker.
½ August 25, 2015
If you ever wondered why the South is messed up, just watch this Tennessee Williams adaptation. Darkly funny, salacious, grungy and decayed.
April 20, 2015
Even though it's an original screenplay by Williams, it still feels like a play, with few locations and characters and several long dialogue scenes, that's not a complaint by any means though, like any Williams work, it isn't afraid to look at controversial issues and deals with how life was in the south back then, all 3 of the leads are very good in their roles, some scenes may go on a bit too long, and the whole climax scene i wasnt a huge fan of, but its still well done and written overall and i recommend it for fans of williams
February 7, 2015
Wow, this one really stood out there especially for it's time. It's nearly all dialog which is okay because it is all story! Brilliantly done with over-the-top acting at times adds to my liking!
January 19, 2015
Elia Kazan's quirky, off-the-wall romp about revenge and justice in 1950's Mississippi is truly remarkable... We're definitely not in Kansas anymore--The crumbling ruins of a deep south plantation, circa 1956. Karl Malden running through empty rooms, yelling "BayBee DOLLLLL!" The dementia-ridden elderly aunt forgetting to turn on the stove before cooking the greens. The old guys lounging around the yard, laughing and watching Malden's frenzied activities like it's must-see TV. Kooky gorgeous Baby Doll sucking her thumb, sleeping in her crib. And Eli Wallach: ah, what a specimen. He's intense, he's irresistible. He's relentlessly "handsy" like a high school boy on a date; he never, ever, for a moment, lets up. It's impossible to take your eyes off of him... Baby Doll still Sizzles-Fuzzy and Buzzy!!
December 16, 2014
From the writer of A Streetcar Named Desire comes another Tennessee Williams's masterpiece. Baby Doll is a great movie, full of sumptuous dialogue and racy undertones, all done with superb dialogue. The acting is top notch, from Malden and Baker, but especially Eli Wallach as Vacarro. With an ambiguous ending and plenty of hot steamy subtlety, Baby Doll is an underrated film with top notch talent all around.
August 5, 2014
Just creepy with an incredibly annoying and dumb lead character.
½ July 19, 2014
This film is well directed, acted with really great interesting characters. The problem for me was the story just seemed weak. All three of the main characters are bad people who are just out for themselves. Its lets of a plot an more of a showcase of people to stay away from. Carroll Baker does a great job as the annoying bimbo sexpot "baby doll Meighan", shes knows she's super-hot and is going to punish you all day for it. She makes you the audience feel like her husband (who is considerably older) by being attractive while also acting 14. Archie lee Meighan played by Karl Malden is constantly feuding with her while she berates him for his physical and financial ineptitude. The only character that's barley likeable is Silva Vaccaro played by a young Eli Wallach. Silva is a proud Sicilian immigrant and successful business man who goes after what he wants whether it be wealth or a (almost) 20 year old married blonde. It also must be mentioned that Wallach looks hilariously like an Italian Dustin Hoffman. If there is a fourth lead in this film is the old broken down southern house, used most effectively in a scooby doo-esque haunting scene freighting the gullible baby doll. I never really felt compelled to see what was going to happen next or who was going to win or lose, but it was still well done.
½ July 5, 2014
Wowza. I can't believe Elia Kazan and Tennessee Williams (who wrote a completely original screenplay) actually got away with doing this film. Karl Malden plays a middle-aged man married to a much younger and VERY hot woman who refuses to consummate the marriage until her 20th birthday. The film remarkably deals with its subject matter very tastefully, intelligently and discretely all the while turning it into a racy black comedy that will still probably raise a few eyebrows even today when explicit sexuality is more readily available in mainstream cinema.
April 30, 2014
??? This movie was stupid. A classic mish mash of emotions and sexual innuendos.
February 24, 2014
Classic exploitation film with several intense scenes. Highly recommended...
July 15, 2013
Oh what a subversive film for its time. Karl Malden and Eli Wallach are tremendous as the plot unfolds to an uncertain ending. Tremendous.
½ May 2, 2013
Absolutely LOVED this. Outrageously sexy movie.
½ March 13, 2013
Certainly no longer scandalous (because of the implicit sexual themes, the Catholic Church's Legion of Decency gave the movie a 'C' rating, standing for 'Condemned' - meaning a good Catholic commits a mortal sin if they see it... hehe, what morons), nor is it as funny, but overall, I think it's still a pretty good film. Three superb performances by Karl Malden, Carroll Baker and Eli Wallach, coupled with Elia Kazan's direction and the fact that it was based on a Tennessee Williams play make it worth having a peak into.
March 12, 2013
½ September 22, 2012
Great, pulpy, Southern stuff.
September 7, 2012
Never heard of this one before but caught it on TV....and I never thought of Eli Wallach as the loverboy type but he's pretty young here and does well at it. When I think of him I think of a scroungy dude in The Good The Bad and the Ugly yelling "BLONDIE!!" Well he and Carroll Baker get pretty steamy in this...no nudity of course, I mean it's 1956 and it says this is R rated...I don't think so, not by today's standards anyway....I guess it was shocking back then...shows how filthy movies have gotten. I enjoyed watching this Tennessee Williams story...I usually do like his stuff, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, A Streetcar Named Desire.......DRAMA...gotta love it...you never know what the characters are gonna do.
July 17, 2012
the performances are good, but elia kazan's "baby doll" is so slow and doesn't really go anywhere when it's all said and done.