Babylon A.D. - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Babylon A.D. Reviews

½ June 20, 2016
In this action film, Vin Diesel plays a veteran-turned-mercenary who takes a job of escorting a woman from Russia to America but a cult thinks a secret she carries inside of her will bring a new Messiah to them. The effects in this were okay but that is about it. The action is decent at best but the cast, acting, script, and overall film was just bad.
½ May 30, 2016
Don't watch this movie, don't bother, as there is no reason to watch this movie, Vin Diesel disappoints,the script as well and so do the action scenes.
May 21, 2016
This movie is GOOD. It is NOT the BEST movie ever. But it is really under-rated. I am NOT a Vin Diesel fan. But with the right story, he carries it. And the Cinematography is also notable. You portably need an IQ above a house-plant to appreciate this movie. You do NOT need to LOVE this movie. But it is worth watching.
April 28, 2016
Worst movie I've ever seen.
February 25, 2011
Set in the future. Seemed rather confusing and hard to follow. They had some stunt scenes that were good but I don't think I'll be watching it again.
January 27, 2016
Good film. Especially when you watch it like for the third time because at first it does not make much of a sense. Like the style,script and the actual reason. It could be better. If it would it would be great but still it is very good sci fi. Do not know why so low score.
½ August 29, 2008
Kind of a mess, but has its moments.
December 17, 2015
I still have no idea what this is about. I feel like it tried to much to copy "the children of men". Barely anything worked, the action scenes were terrible the dialogue was even worse. Wouldn't recommend this at all.
November 7, 2015
This was a good movie if you followed the story line. I don't know why the critics were so hard on this movie when the general public appears to have enjoyed this movie. I think that the critics at Rotten Tomatoes movie review are wrong 75% of e time. I think you should wait to see what the over general populations reactions are before you so called movie critics spew of at the mouth about a movie.
October 5, 2015
Wish I'd read the reviews before watching. A story that goes nowhere, a lack of substance, characters you don't care about, a waste of time.
September 1, 2015
I've watched it three times. That must mean that I liked it or there wasn't anything on that was more tempting. I haven't bought it yet.
November 8, 2011
A wierd film abit hard to understand but got better the last half hour, a few plot holes, could of been way better shame it wasnt.
September 10, 2012
Boasting a leading performance from Vin Diesel, Babylon A.D. had enough of a gimmick to capture my hope for a decent action guilty pleasure.

With the film depicting a hip-hop soundtrack against a grey and dilapidated landscape in the intro, Babylon A.D. starts out with an odd tone. It's like the film wants to be a legitimate dystopian science fiction piece and an MTV friendly movie at the same time, and this theme comes and goes throughout the course of the film. Yet ultimately, the concept that it adheres to most heavily is an alternative commercial route where the premise is constructed out of derivative plot elements from every other science fiction movie ever made. It feels like there should be a story at the base of Babylon A.D., but looking closely at it I just found that all the plot points were generic story elements borrowed from countless other films. Director Mathieu Kassovitz attempts to disguise all this under the production values of the film, but even though Babylon A.D. cost a whopping $70 million to make there are minimal stylistic assets to truly boast about. The only consistently impressive visual aspect of Babylon A.D. is the scenery because there is creative versatility in the story locations and they all work towards establishing a convincing post-apocalyptic universe. However, for a film that cost so much this is certainly not the best kind of overblown. Though there are strong production values in Babylon A.D. with beautiful scenery and strong production design, Babylon A.D. does not carry a story which knows what to do with them in the slightest. Babylon A.D. experiences meandering success on the basis of its sense of imagery, but this largely serves as an inconsistent distraction from a story which clearly takes itself more seriously than it takes plot points from other films.
The writing in Bablyon A.D. is truly powerless. Considering that the intro scene depicts Vin Diesel talking English while the rest of the characters around him speak French and this goes on with flawless understanding of each other, it is clear that the script is not a strong basis for what comes next in Babylon A.D.. That proved to be a correct presumption because the story in Babylon A.D. genuinely seems to be a series of familiar generic plot points loosely waved together into a singular script for the sake of pretending that it has a narrative to work with. The fact is that it doesn't, and Babylon A.D. exists as nothing more than a Vin Diesel star vehicle. But like chicken on a poultry farm, he is force fed some of the most generic dialogue available to man. The rest of the cast gets it, but to a lesser extent. Either way, there is nothing in the way of characters in Babylon A.D. since the script adheres to the generic nature of the story so heavily.
Yet surprisingly enough, I found myself impressed by some of the stylish elements of Babylon A.D.. The action in Babylon A.D. is surprisingly versatile. It combines touches of close combat fight scenes with high energy chase scenes and even a touch of Parkour at times with the presence of David Belle, among other things. The quantity is certainly underwhelming which is all the more disappointing considering the quality of the action, but whenever it is on screen the experience is certainly entertaining. In all honesty I did not expect the action to be of such good quality, but as there is a strong balance of practical stunts and CGI in the film which is all captured with strong cinematography and timely editing against the backdrop of powerful scenery, the action in Babylon A.D. is genuinely entertaining to watch. The sound editing is also strong and the musical score is thoroughly atmospheric. Though the film is overblown, the budget is well spent during the action scenes which means that viewers with narrative standards as low as the one delivered in Babylon A.D. should be able to find entertainment. This is where the sense of style in Babylon A.D. hits its high point, and this displays that Mathieu Kassovitz maintains an effective eye for imagery. It's just that he needs a mind for narrative coherence if he's gonna be helming a $70 million Vin Diesel vehicle.
And matching the shallow nature of the screenplay, Babylon A.D. fails to draw on much in the way of success from the cast.
Vin Diesel is a decent lead. I say that as a fan of his whose opinion is wilfully tainted by personal bias because it is obvious that he is no Orson Welles, but he is a good fit for the lead role in Babylon A.D.. Vin Diesel's monotonous line delivery reinforces the generic nature of the script all too clearly, but it is also part of his gimmick so he is able to justify it. And on top of that, it matches the shallow nature of his character as nothing more than a hard shell of a man. Vin Diesel's status as an action hero gives him a gimmick that justifies his casting in Babylon A.D., so he is welcome on board.
The rest of the cast in Babylon A.D. have little to do and make an impact of the same standard. The presence of legendary French actor Gerard Depardieu is also welcome, though condemning him to the role of a generic Russian mobster proves to be one that even he cannot save. Melanie Thierry is stuck with a character always lost in her own mind which seems to be a ploy to distract from her limitations as an actress, but it does not always work. The melodramatic repetition of Charlotte Rampling is also ineffective, though she certainly does make a decent effort.

So Babylon A.D. benefits from Vin Diesel's genial presence and some decent action scenes, but these diminutive elements play second fiddle to a thoroughly derivative story with a generic script that keeps the budget from being spent on anything of value.
July 16, 2013
Sigh...i really had wished i understood what was going on...but then again too...Vin Diesel..2/10
June 25, 2015
ok but sweet vibe like rambo-ish
September 14, 2008
2015-06-04 Vin being Vin, weak ripoff/mashup of Bible story and Terminator
May 17, 2015
I just finished watching this on Netflix. When it started I was like this is going to be one of Vin Diesel's early crappy movies. I was surprised that it was better than I expected. THe storyline was decent although in parts not executed properly. In a nutshell this movie is something like Matt Damon's Elysium movie.
Its not suitable for the kiddies.
The main subject discussed in this movie is Religion, God, Creation and spirituality.
However this movie will not give you the answers you're looking for its Hollywood fan fiction.
You won't gain anything by watching this if your a fan of Vin's by all means..
March 27, 2015
I rate this rotten though I seem to have still showed more compassion than others who rated this much lower! I really expected Vin to carry this one, but if he did at all, he dropped it early on. He seems old and tired which may be intentional, but really hurt the movie in doing so.
March 8, 2015
Decided to give Vin Diesel the time of day after enjoying Guardians of the Galaxy. I got what i'd been expecting all these years, a substandard, poorly scripted, gung ho movie directed at Limp Biskit loving 15 year old boys. It followed the "how to make an action movie" instructions, to the every word. The chase scenes, especially on foot, looked more like choreographed dancing. Corny, not for me. Just another disappointing, dark and damp, degenerate vision of the future