Bad Boys II - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bad Boys II Reviews

½ October 25, 2016
BAD BOYS II wants to be mindless, fun entertainment. It succeeds on being mindless, but definitely not fun. It is stupid, cheap, extremely cruel, exploitaive, apallingly and sanctimoniously racist towards almost all people of all shown races in the film, mean-spirited, unpleasant, and just downright boring- there is not one likable or interesting character in this dreadful waste of money.

The film wallows in the depths of cinematic lowness. The film is not only unoriginal and formulaic in almost every sense, but it is so tonally careless- there are tasteless, racist jokes strewn all through here, horrifically violent and brutal scenes in a comedy, no less; and dialogue and situations that so dumb and so boring, that I found it impossible to actually be invested in anything going on here.

I'll give you an example of this film's tone, and what the filmmakers think is funny: There is one scene where a poor innocent boy comes to Martin Lawrence's house to pick up his daughter for a date. They put a gun to his head, call him the "n" word, say baseless and awful things to him, etc. They are so cruel towards him, I wondered why he just didn't run away or kick him in the nuts, or something. Based on this movie's tone, that probably would not have been a good idea. Also- there are action scenes where cars tear through people's houses, and dozens (if not hundreds) of these innocent people are killed carelessly and senselessly.

I know, I know. The movie is supposed to be totally ridiculous in a fun sort of way- for example, Will Smith's character- a Miami police officer- drives a $200,000 Ferrari. But there are so many offensive things about this movie that I found it totally impossible to trust that much. It tries to manipulate its audience by passing off its cruel, racist tone as "non-serious". That is absolutely appalling.
October 16, 2016
Bad Boys II only major issue is its two and a half hour runtime. But it still manages to improve in some points on the first movie. More story, more jokes, and (of course) more boom. Dull, but highly entertaining fun action.
½ October 9, 2016
Non-stop action doesn't mean it will always be fun. At times it will get annoying or boring. This movie is a perfect example of that. Will and Martin gave it their all, but "Bad Boys 2" lacks a decent plot with caring characters and decent jokes that doesn't fall under toilet or sex humor. I'm surprised both cops are not arrested for causing mayhem across the streets. Again, why the bad guys have to be either Hispanic, Russians, or any other international countries? I'm sure we have a couple of assholes in the United States that would like start shit up.
September 18, 2016
Both these movies are great and I think the second one is actually better. Michael Bay sure loves blowing shit up. Happy to hear this franchise is returning.
½ September 15, 2016
Action packed to the fullest; almost too action packed for some. Bad Boys II is an overkill sequel that works beautifully! The first car chase scene is one of the most spectacular action sequences I have probably ever seen. Martin Lawrence and Will Smith take banter to a new level and I would love to see them together again.
September 5, 2016
slightly too long but never the less still enjoyable as this buddy buddy cop film is filled with action and explosive stunts.
½ August 22, 2016
More fun, dumb action that actually improves on the action & comedy but suffers from having too much of it. Will Smith & Martin Lawrence continue their excellent turns as Mike & Marcus, playing off each other splendidly & given new layers, as Mike is dating Marcus's sister, Syd (nicely played by Gabrielle Union) while Marcus is considering transferring out of the squad. Many of the best bits of the film are just their dialogue (the scene in which Mike & Marcus intimidate a young boy dating Marcus's teenage daughter is standout) but end up overpowering the rest of the cast. Joe Pantoliano does have fun playing a cliched police captain, as does Jordi Molla, a drug kingpin with some much hidden cash rats are eating it. Behind the camera, Michael Bay did show improvement in both style & storytelling, delivering some of his best action scenes (the freeway chase in which cars are flying about and the final set piece in Cuba are highlights) but suffers from his problem of going too long. At 2 1/2 hours, the movie starts to drag, especially in the middle, as Bay's bombastic style can wear you down. If Bay ever learned to keep his films under two hours, he probably get a much better reception from audiences & critics. Overall, still a fun film, even if it drags a bit in the middle.
August 7, 2016
Better dialogue than the last. Much more funnier than the last. The action was amazing and on a bigger scale than the 1st. And the plot really gets you invested in what's going on.
July 28, 2016
Juvenile, overlong but ferociously entertaining. Bad Boys 2 is one of those kinds of movies you either go with or you don't. And if you are one of those that do you'll find an action film that brings both great action and some genuine laughs. Just leave your brain at the door before you get on the ride.
July 25, 2016
Worse Than I Thought It would even turn to be,
This is one of the worst Will Smith films i have ever seen to lebrace my screen, I Just Love Making Words Up! And Now... The Climax of this film is not the best i ever saw and the acting was somehow good but their humour isn't funny, I feel very very bad for Will Smith, I just can't believe i saw a terrible film with one of my favourite actors, Fuck You Michael Bay!

Score: 3/10
½ July 6, 2016
The sequel that sometimes gets bogged down in its spectacle and averting of certain stereotypes (think the audio/video store scene). But all in all, it offers some genuine thrills and fantastic comedic timing from its leads.
July 1, 2016
A pale shadow of the awesome original.
June 20, 2016
Pretty decent follow up to the original, although not nearly as good. Gabrielle Union was a good addition to the cast from the first film playing Lawrence's sister. The addition of this character added a layer of conflict/drama to the script. Most have said and I tend to agree with them that this film is about 15-30min too long. Toward the end it does seem to get sluggish and drag out a bit. Still not a horrible film and after so many years of fans wanting a sequel, it held its ground.
June 7, 2016
Great film! Very funny and a lot of great action. Only flaw is its about 30/40 minutes to long!
May 1, 2016
Another Michael Bay movie that overstays its welcome. It starts off okay enough but Michael Bay movies require you to turn off your brain. It is impossible (without dying) to turn off your brain for the length of a Michael Bay film. You would forget how to breathe.

Gabrielle Union delivers lines woodenly. Will Smith has zero charisma. At least Martin Lawrence plays a decent fool. Actually laughed at some of the "accidental Ecstasy", the part where Martin Lawrence realizes how soft Will Smith's shirt was. The rest....well.

The movie is fun enough action, just goes on too long. One thing I do credit with Michael Bay films is that all the ridiculousness in this world then makes it seem very normal. You believe that this is some alternate universe where cops causing mass destruction and property damage is equal to getting a write up at a retail store. That's the only possible reason why the two most incompetent cops in the world still have jobs.

Also, fun note, whether intentional or not, Michael Bay just showed us how ridiculous the War on Drugs was. The most deaths caused by Ecstasy was one (guy who ODed at a club, who was then dumped in the streets).

Deaths caused by Will Smith and Martin Lawrence? Pretty much EVERY OTHER DEATH is caused by their or their department's mistakes.
April 24, 2016
I can't stop watching this movie!
April 13, 2016
This is a cult film for me. I really enjoyed Bad Boys 1 & 2. Can't wait for 3!
April 2, 2016
This movie in my opinion is better than the first! Definetly worth a watch!
½ March 16, 2016
If you know what you're getting yourself into, it is pretty entertaining. Yes its too long, and yes a lot of the humor doesn't work. Essentially everything Michael Bay always does wrong is in this movie. However, if you enjoy his style of silly action comedies, you will enjoy this movie. It's not Oscar worthy or anything, but it does its job of being entertaining. It's not better or worse than the first. The movie is an entertaining ride that isn't meant to be taken seriously whatsoever.