Balibo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Balibo Reviews

September 22, 2016
A good historical piece on the death of the Balibo 5 during the Indonesian conquest of East Timor.
May 5, 2016
Interesting bio on real events. Great scenery.
½ March 19, 2016
Really important and harrowing film. The Australian Government had, and still has, a lot to answer for, particularly the deaths of these men
February 17, 2016
Excellent movie, I highly recommend this film. A story that should be told and not forgotten
November 19, 2015
This truly riveting and important political thriller exposes without any concessions a horrendous episode in History that has been kept in silence for a long time, and it is always fluid in the way it shows us what happened to Roger East in parallel with the tragic fate of the Balibo Five.
½ June 3, 2014
Extremely well made film that portrays the recklessness of the television crew who died trying to film the brutal invasion of East Timor but also makes you feel anger for their deaths and for the hundreds of thousands of the local people that died during the ensuing 25 years of occupation by Indonesia. The characters of Jose Ramos Horta and Roger East are very well portrayed and you see the beginning of a life on the world political stage for one and the courageous finale to a journalistic career for the other. A gripping drama from start to finish.
May 18, 2014
Watching it now. I agree with the rating!
February 12, 2014
Gripping, not only because of its excellent construct, but also because it really happened. A great movie will move you, regardless of the friendliness of the subject matter.
December 25, 2013
The mans name Is Jose Ramos-Horta, not Romas.
December 24, 2013
Raw, disturbing, and profoundly compelling.
September 12, 2013
En Balibo tenemos un verdadero ejemplo de periodismo, una profesión que hoy en día está muy mal evaluada principalmente por la poca rigurosidad en su trabajo. Este film Australiano cuenta la historia de 5 periodistas del mismo país que fueron a cubrir la crisis de Timor Oriental, exponiendo sus vidas por cubrir una noticia. Muy buenas actuaciones de Oscar Isaac y Anthony LaPaglia. Recomendable, en especial a los periodistas.
½ August 30, 2013
Pantesan film ini sempat mendapat protes keras dari Pemerintah Indonesia
February 6, 2013
A solid and at times gut wrenching film. A good year for Aussie cinema.
January 21, 2013
The occasional misstep does not blunt this gripping thriller's impact. Or its fierce anger.
½ November 24, 2012
Nicely constructed political drama.
½ July 17, 2012
Pretty good biographical film
½ June 23, 2012
I'd no idea what the movie is about before watching it except that it's based on real events. And based was it!! Clarifying so at the very outset when it instead chooses to mention "This is a true story." wouldn't have helped much though. While taking inspirations from real events, the movie gets incredibly, & more importantly, unnecessarily melodramatic. It seems as if reality takes a back stage for a scripted drama, thereby rendering the main story far less interesting. I reckon that fictionalization is essential at times, but here it's overdone. Better than general Lifetime Movie, but not good enough. Of course, it's not a TV movie, but that shouldn't quite matter. While not good enough, it's tolerable enough. My experience might have been different had I not known that it's based on real events (ignorance may have adjusted my expectations), but then if it wasn't based on real events, I doubt I'd have gone for it. All talks. Give it a go or let it go. Whatever.
June 8, 2012
Hadn't ever known very much about East Timor, other than that an Australian friend's mum sponsored an East Timorese family and that they were deadly poor. Sad story, the Indonesian invasion of East Timor, and the bravery of the East Timorese and the journalists who tried to tell their story.
April 27, 2012
Balibo is a powerful film to watch and its has been filmed so authentically. So good is it, that it deserves to be put up on the same mantle as other important journalism-themed titles like Salvador, The Killing Fields, Under Fire, Newsfront and The Year Of Living Dangerously. The cast are all brilliant and the film is a totally realistic and exposing insight into the murders that had been covered up and kept from the Australian public for so long. I'm not sure how this one has fared around the world but I hope it reaches a wide audience over time.
April 2, 2012