Balto - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Balto Reviews

½ May 9, 2018
balto is handsome wolf
½ March 30, 2018
Loosely based on the 1925 dog sled run to Nome, Alaska, Balto (Kevin Bacon) is a half-wolf, half-dog hybrid whose shunned by everyone expect for his goose caretaker Boris (Bob Hoskins). When a deadly outbreak hits Nome's population and the sled dog team assigned to deliver antitoxin to the town disappears, Balto sets off on a dangerous quest through the snowy wastelands to bring the team back home.

In the vein of other animated films loosely based on family-unfriendly historical events such as Disney's Pocahontas and Don Bluth's Anastasia, this loose adaptation of the contraversional run is definably one historians should avoid, especially people who are aware of the whole "Togo" story of the run.

However, there's no denying that as a film on it's own, Balto can't really be called a bad film as the animation is really impressive for Amblimation's last film, the late James Horner's score is gripping and epic and the voice-acting from the likes of Kevin Bacon, Jim Cummings and Bob Hoskins is outstanding.

Overall, Balto is a cute, yet epic send-off for Steven Spielberg's animation studio even if some of the film's implications are questionable.
½ March 19, 2018
tears,tears,tears...
January 28, 2018
very good movie with a good story line.
½ January 14, 2018
A great re-imagining of one the greatest dogs of all time. Great story and interesting characters.
December 28, 2017
Slight and corny, but also charming and well-animated. Balto, even after it's cult-following, is pretty lackluster compared to other great animated films from the 90s due to it's simple story and sometimes-annoying comic relief. But it's an entertaining enough watch thanks to it's likeable characters, great voice work, and smooth pacing. 6.5/10

Also, Balto's design is a 10/10 on it's own. What a cute little doggo.
December 15, 2017
Balto is a phenomenal movie! It has everything a movie needs and the true history behind it makes it an even better movie. If you haven't seen it, watch it (You won't regret it).
½ December 6, 2017
An enjoyable watch for young children, but the obnoxious comic relief will definitely annoy the majority of adults.
September 13, 2017
So critics gave this movie 50% why! It should have been like 60% that's what I would say, The scenery to the movie was good the action was good especially the adventure! Kids will enjoy this movie I bet
September 12, 2017
What is this doing with a 50% of rotten tomatoes?! This movie is dope. If it's that bad, then you haven't seen Alpha and Omega. For anyone who doesn't like this movie, fuck off.
August 8, 2017
This is a worthy animated universal film, on par with An American Tail and The Land Before Time. The animation's beautiful, and while the characters and some parts of the story could be a little cliche at times, that doesn't ruin the movie as it has a bit of depth to it retelling a great story about a noble husky who heroically helped delivered medicine to a small village and saved the lives of sick children.
It's that much of a great animated family film for both children and supposedly adults.
July 30, 2017
Toy Story may have stolen the spotlight from Balto in 1995, but this is an under-the-radar movie anyway. They barely stretched the story to over an hour with all the filler they threw in. But it's a harmless movie with a heartwarming message. Good boy, Balto.
July 10, 2017
Hay now I remember this when I was younger I would watch this and I found it good and funny with good action so I would say run a long see the movie!
July 1, 2017
One of my favorites during my childhood. But looking back at it now, it's quite silly and somewhat dull. Though it has some excellent voice acting and animation, the plot is not up to par, and certain moments seem very pointless (Especially when Boris is trying to cheer Balto up). The characters are only mildly diverting (Though Jim Cummings as Steele is sometimes hilarious due to his over-the-top performance). And there is really no exciting moments with the exception of a Bear fight. Overall, it's quite dated and forgettable to the average viewer. But for my standards, it was very nostalgic. I would give it a watch again if I really wanted to. But for everyone else, only give it a try if you like talking animals.
½ June 23, 2017
A humbly animated, lovingly crafted film which seems to understand what it is and does not strive to over-extend itself. However, its short runtime services the movie well, with perhaps too many comic relief characters who can become annoying. Yet, the scenes either impressively dark-toned or surprisingly intense, as well as enjoyable acting, leave the viewer satisfied.
June 22, 2017
A generic and rather manipulative kid's movie.
½ June 11, 2017
This was an amazing film but in my opinion the only flaw was the soundtrack. If this film had a soundtrack like that of the movie Spirit Stallion of the Cimmaron, then this film would be even more beautiful than it already is. I am a really big fan of animated animal movies because ever since i was a kid, i always had a soft spot for them in my heart.
½ June 2, 2017
One of my favorite childhood movies. I watched it more recently and still loved it. Uncle Boris still kills me, Steel is still awful, and Balto is still adorable. I *might* have cried at the end.
½ May 9, 2017
While the characters could be more interesting, the story is good (albeit cliched and historically inaccurate) and the animation is very well-crafted. Of the whopping 3 movies that Amblimation had produced before evolving into DreamWorks, this was definitely their best one.
April 1, 2017