Barton Fink - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Barton Fink Reviews

October 22, 2016
Worst thing I've seen, lately. Filled with really great actors and an interesting beginning that degenerates into weirdness and ends with no explanation. People who say they like this are afraid to say they hate it.
½ October 17, 2016
An underrated Coen classic with sharp dialogue and a charming performance from John Turturro as a playwright wrestling with his soul.
½ October 5, 2016
Surreal, funny, and mysterious, Joel Coen's "Barton Fink" is a career-defining film. It's "Pi" meets "Sunset Boulevard."
½ October 4, 2016
Great film about writers block
½ September 25, 2016
A strange and surreal film that is both visually and narratively entrancing, even when the point of the movie seems to be to prove that it's just a film.
August 17, 2016
The Pain Of Writing - A Comedy.
July 9, 2016
You got to hand it to the Coen brothers. They know how to mix boredom, excitement. hope and despair, murder and mundane all in one 90 minute long film.
July 3, 2016
Cop-out ending, otherwise enjoyable Coen brothers fodder.
June 25, 2016
Claustrophobic, compelling, well acted.
½ June 6, 2016
This is a hard movie to rate, while its pretty unusual its seems very much like a Coens Brother film (because it is). I liked it but I didn't love it.
½ April 6, 2016
Bizarre, messy, imature and pretentious, Coen brother's Barton Fink doesn't live up to their later works - lacking the wit and the humour that has become their trademark.
½ April 4, 2016
Good performances pepper this work about ... well, what is it about? The naivete of youthful idealism? The plasticity of Hollywood maybe? Or maybe the latent savagery of the world at large? Any who, it's all thrown into the pot here and stirred to a frothy burn. The Coens seem to have mastered the fine old world skill of speaking at length very intelligently while never in fact saying a blessed thing. Never uninteresting and fascinating to observe. .. for a bit.
½ March 1, 2016
Among the finest of, perhaps, black comedy; this kind of film does not come several times in a lifetime.
½ February 7, 2016
Perhaps I need to see it again to appreciate. Good acting, great sound, nice camera work. Unfortunately I was incredibly bored with the surface story. I spent most of the viewing attempting to decipher the themes and allegory but could not really come up with anything meaningful or concrete.
February 5, 2016
While this movie is fun to dissect, I can't say that it made me feel any great emotion after viewing. It's just a very well put together picture.
½ January 30, 2016
I wonder if the Coen brothers are criticizing themselves at all with this one. If not, I hope they rematch it sometime soon and think it over. With each passing movie they make, Barton Fink gets lost in the shuffle but for me, it's one of their best. It balances their usual comedic and dramatic quirks in a lovely tension that feels like the dance that great cinema can be. Capped off spectacularly. (See what I did there? Sorry).
January 28, 2016
Very unusual and memorable.
January 25, 2016
What a strange film. It's definitely one I'll enjoy picking apart over repeated viewings
½ January 22, 2016
What a weird movie! It's probably why I love it!
½ January 19, 2016
It's good, but a large portion of it (1st half) is a bit dull. Acting is very solid all around and the Coen brothers have some great direction for what would have been a complete disaster in the hands of anyone else.
John Goodman plays one of the more interesting villains I've seen in a while. He's disturbed in a way that is never quite explained.
Overall a good film, but the Coen brothers do have better films.