Barton Fink - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Barton Fink Reviews

½ January 21, 2017
An early Coen film plays with concepts wonderfully that they will be examining for years
January 3, 2017
Phenomenal movie. Equal parts b-movie, psychological thriller, character drama and black comedy, the familiar story of an author dealing with writer's block is skillfully told with thrilling writing, stylish direction and excellent performances from its cast, especially Turturro and Goodman.
½ December 29, 2016
I won't be overstating if I say that this is the best Coens' movie I've seen so far. The most challenging and thought-provoking. They are right when saying this is a genre-less picture. This is an explosive mixture of every genre possible wrapped up in a satire shell. Multiple vewings are required.
½ December 23, 2016
I liked it well enough. Kind of out there, yet inviting and interesting enough to draw the audience in. Some-what quixotic in nature, yet it works for the style and acting. Great acting by the way.
December 17, 2016
Holy shit. How have I never seen this before? This was perfect. Not sure if it makes my top Coen Brothers films. I think there's probably a lot more depth here than I'll ever understand.
½ December 1, 2016
The Coen Brothers box off flop,'Barton Fink', is as well-acted as any of the duo's flicks. Dark and creepy, the brothers manage to build your trust and hit you with a missile in the third act. They are masters of the craft and this early work is no exception.
November 18, 2016
Barton Fink is a unique and highly unpredictable film about a successful playwright who moves to Hollywood to begin writing screenplays and spends weeks suffering in his own private hell: writer's block. Barton checks into a hotel for a little privacy, and finds that he is frequently distracted by flies buzzing around his room, the constant peeling wallpaper, and most importantly: an extremely loud neighbour who can't seem to leave him alone. This is one of the Coen Brothers' more underrated films that sadly doesn't get talked about enough, and without spoiling anything, this film goes to some dark places in very unexpected ways with multiple ways to interpret the events that take place. The film stars Coen regulars such as John Turturro, John Goodman, and Steve Buscemi; with Turturro and Goodman giving stellar performances as Barton and the neighbour respectively. Their interactions begin innocent-enough; Barton fascinated by his blue-collar tales of being a traveling insurance salesman, but things take a sharp turn when we realize that Goodman's character is not who he says he is. This film is filled to the brim with visual and metaphorical symbolism, with an ending that still divides critics as to the true meaning. It's very difficult to discuss this film without spoiling the experience, so I will simply end by recommending this film highly for Coen Brothers completionists and for fans of the principle actors' work!
November 12, 2016
Reviews by my wife - "Everyone in this movie was wearing old clothes and talked funny. I don't get it."
November 10, 2016
I am at a loss for words. I am a huge Coen Brothers fan, and I've seen their work gets twisty and crazy. This one is certainly no exception. I fell in love with the first two acts, because I felt to in touch with Barton and his struggle. Tuturro played Barton in such a human way. John Goodman was the epitome of a big bear; you want to give him a big hug, but also feel that he could attack at any moment. Once that third act hit, holy moly I was stumped. This film is certainly an acquired taste. It's smart, satirical, twisted, and intelligent. An unsettling think-piece, if you will. And that's not always for everyone. I managed to hold on for dear life, but can you?
½ November 8, 2016
An underrated Coen classic with sharp dialogue and a charming performance from John Turturro as a playwright wrestling for his soul.
October 22, 2016
Worst thing I've seen, lately. Filled with really great actors and an interesting beginning that degenerates into weirdness and ends with no explanation. People who say they like this are afraid to say they hate it.
½ October 5, 2016
Surreal, funny, and mysterious, Joel Coen's "Barton Fink" is a career-defining film. It's "Pi" meets "Sunset Boulevard."
½ October 4, 2016
Great film about writers block
½ September 25, 2016
A strange and surreal film that is both visually and narratively entrancing, even when the point of the movie seems to be to prove that it's just a film.
August 17, 2016
The Pain Of Writing - A Comedy.
July 9, 2016
You got to hand it to the Coen brothers. They know how to mix boredom, excitement. hope and despair, murder and mundane all in one 90 minute long film.
July 3, 2016
Cop-out ending, otherwise enjoyable Coen brothers fodder.
June 25, 2016
Claustrophobic, compelling, well acted.
½ June 6, 2016
This is a hard movie to rate, while its pretty unusual its seems very much like a Coens Brother film (because it is). I liked it but I didn't love it.
½ April 6, 2016
Bizarre, messy, imature and pretentious, Coen brother's Barton Fink doesn't live up to their later works - lacking the wit and the humour that has become their trademark.