Barton Fink - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Barton Fink Reviews

½ July 11, 2017
A mix of psychotic themes and dark writing with a splash of humor. An uneasy writer getting stuck in a room with no inspiration except about his life is great because the writing twists from its original state and is written toward a mystery over a murder instead of a drama about a writers downhill career. Wonderful writing and acting.
June 18, 2017
Non è stato facile cercare di capire questo strano ed enigmatico film, con un finale spiazzante aperto a molte interpretazioni. Una cosa è certa, questo è cinema di altissimo livello, che pochi registi riescono a raggiungere. L'assurdità, l'ironia e la semplice perfetta esecuzione di alcune scene resteranno impresse nella mia memoria a lungo, vista l'intensità della recitazione e il velato moralismo che ne fa da sfondo. In particolare si percepisce una leggera critica verso Holliwood, o verso ciò che è reale e ciò che è fittizio. L'alternanza dei due aspetti descrive alla perfezione il blocco che lo scrittore protagonista vive in prima persona, riuscendo a creare un finale tanto affascinante quanto difficile da interpretare. Non sempre la mancanza di spiegazioni funziona, ma in questo caso rende il tutto ancora più misterioso e quasi surreale, un mix di emozioni che raramente si prova guardando un film.
½ May 3, 2017
This is pure Cohen Brothers with some of their, and my, favorite actors playing some dense roles. Young John Turturro and John Goodman are at their best in this, and that's saying a lot considering how much I love Goodman in Raising Arizona. If you love Cohen Brothers movies, this should be required viewing. If you don't, but you're looking for a strange, dark dramadey filled with symbolism and metaphor, you should check out Barton Fink. It's streaming on Netflix!
April 14, 2017
This is one of those movies that, as a filmmaker, one wishes they made. Superb companion piece to Sunset Boulevard and Whatever Happened To Baby Jane.
½ January 27, 2017
The Coen Brothers have for most of their career given us some quirky, bizarre, and dark cinematic features in their long career. In 1991 they treated us to Barton Fink a story revolving around the titular character. Fink is a successful playwright from New York and he is one day given an offer from Hollywood to be paid a thousand dollars each week for writing scripts. Fink makes his way out and stays at a strange hotel. The movie showcases barton's constant writers block as he thinks about the essence of theater, life and the crazy people he meets in out west.
The coen brothers always have a bizarre but uniquely funny touch to their films. The film is highly unusual but for some reason it grabbed me enough for me to continue watching all the way through. this story was scripted like something out of a woody allen film but again they add their own touch to it. it does make you think about the different kind of writers in Hollywood and how certain events can shape their screenwriter minds.
I rather enjoyed this character Barton Fink. John Turturro did an excellent job with this unsual character. I couldn't help but laugh so much at this man's hair at was so weird. Fink is a man that cares deeply about the essence of theater and acting and finds himself fighting against the ways of Hollywood and its effect on the common man. jack lerner was the best part of the film. If one finds himself bored within the first few minutes lerner's jack lipnick will wake you the hell up! so much vibrance and hilarity it is sensational! John goodman did a fine job here as yet another strange character with slim to no eyebrows. his chemistry with turturro is uncanny every scene they nailed together even the crazy climax of the film
that painting is so prominent in the film its almost like another character. same with all of the sounds in the film there is such a heavy reliance on the element of visual painting and sound. very well composed score. the cinematography was great as well. the long shots of the hallway and closeups of barton were exquisitely done.
Barton Fink is a definitely vintage coen brothers and anyone who is a fan of their work will find this to be tremendous.
½ January 21, 2017
An early Coen film plays with concepts wonderfully that they will be examining for years
January 3, 2017
Phenomenal movie. Equal parts b-movie, psychological thriller, character drama and black comedy, the familiar story of an author dealing with writer's block is skillfully told with thrilling writing, stylish direction and excellent performances from its cast, especially Turturro and Goodman.
½ December 29, 2016
I won't be overstating if I say that this is the best Coens' movie I've seen so far. The most challenging and thought-provoking. They are right when saying this is a genre-less picture. This is an explosive mixture of every genre possible wrapped up in a satire shell. Multiple vewings are required.
½ December 23, 2016
I liked it well enough. Kind of out there, yet inviting and interesting enough to draw the audience in. Some-what quixotic in nature, yet it works for the style and acting. Great acting by the way.
December 17, 2016
Holy shit. How have I never seen this before? This was perfect. Not sure if it makes my top Coen Brothers films. I think there's probably a lot more depth here than I'll ever understand.
½ December 1, 2016
The Coen Brothers box off flop,'Barton Fink', is as well-acted as any of the duo's flicks. Dark and creepy, the brothers manage to build your trust and hit you with a missile in the third act. They are masters of the craft and this early work is no exception.
November 18, 2016
Barton Fink is a unique and highly unpredictable film about a successful playwright who moves to Hollywood to begin writing screenplays and spends weeks suffering in his own private hell: writer's block. Barton checks into a hotel for a little privacy, and finds that he is frequently distracted by flies buzzing around his room, the constant peeling wallpaper, and most importantly: an extremely loud neighbour who can't seem to leave him alone. This is one of the Coen Brothers' more underrated films that sadly doesn't get talked about enough, and without spoiling anything, this film goes to some dark places in very unexpected ways with multiple ways to interpret the events that take place. The film stars Coen regulars such as John Turturro, John Goodman, and Steve Buscemi; with Turturro and Goodman giving stellar performances as Barton and the neighbour respectively. Their interactions begin innocent-enough; Barton fascinated by his blue-collar tales of being a traveling insurance salesman, but things take a sharp turn when we realize that Goodman's character is not who he says he is. This film is filled to the brim with visual and metaphorical symbolism, with an ending that still divides critics as to the true meaning. It's very difficult to discuss this film without spoiling the experience, so I will simply end by recommending this film highly for Coen Brothers completionists and for fans of the principle actors' work!
November 12, 2016
Reviews by my wife - "Everyone in this movie was wearing old clothes and talked funny. I don't get it."
November 10, 2016
I am at a loss for words. I am a huge Coen Brothers fan, and I've seen their work gets twisty and crazy. This one is certainly no exception. I fell in love with the first two acts, because I felt to in touch with Barton and his struggle. Tuturro played Barton in such a human way. John Goodman was the epitome of a big bear; you want to give him a big hug, but also feel that he could attack at any moment. Once that third act hit, holy moly I was stumped. This film is certainly an acquired taste. It's smart, satirical, twisted, and intelligent. An unsettling think-piece, if you will. And that's not always for everyone. I managed to hold on for dear life, but can you?
½ November 8, 2016
An underrated Coen classic with sharp dialogue and a charming performance from John Turturro as a playwright wrestling for his soul.
October 22, 2016
Worst thing I've seen, lately. Filled with really great actors and an interesting beginning that degenerates into weirdness and ends with no explanation. People who say they like this are afraid to say they hate it.
½ October 5, 2016
Surreal, funny, and mysterious, Joel Coen's "Barton Fink" is a career-defining film. It's "Pi" meets "Sunset Boulevard."
½ October 4, 2016
Great film about writers block
½ September 25, 2016
A strange and surreal film that is both visually and narratively entrancing, even when the point of the movie seems to be to prove that it's just a film.
August 17, 2016
The Pain Of Writing - A Comedy.