Battle: Los Angeles - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Battle: Los Angeles Reviews

December 31, 2017
One of the manliest movies of all time. Excellently done. One of the best sci fi movies I have ever seen.
December 30, 2017
When it comes to violent film - I'm divided.
I don't go out of my way to watch movies about actual, historical battles, because I know that real people died (or were physically or mentally crippled); sisters and brothers, mothers and fathers . . . even children. The prospect of of reliving those tragic (even if heroic) deaths is too painful for me.

And yet, give me an alien invasion and I'm "all up in that".
I find the fantasy of war exciting, and yet I have to be aware of how such films glorify violence; glorify war. I'm conflicted, enjoying this guilty pleasure.

I'm a little surprised by the low star rating, less than 50%, from both sides.
Have there been too many movies of this sort? a burnout by the viewing public? A burnout - when it comes to war? Another sign that we might be a war-weary nation / world?

As for me, I don't watch a lot of flicks, so I'm not "burnt out" when it comes to military action films. So, this was not "same-o, same-o" for me.

I thought the script was impressively tight. That applies to character development as well; quick snap-shot profiles; a glance, a nod and you had pretty much all you needed to know about this or that character.

I'm not a fan of the "shaky-cam", but I thought it was well employed in some of the battle scenes. I've never been in such a situation, but I think the camera gave us that sense of heart-pounding, out of control terror that being shot at and bombed can produce; often no knowing even where the fire is coming from as you hunker down and question your very soul.

Yes, this is a familiar theme - seasoned tough old lifer in charge of a bunch of kids - typical of many such films (Heartbreak Ridge comes to mind; many more).

I wonder, also, if there is more of a connection with military vets; something the civilian population can never really get (no offense; just fact; I served but never got shot at)?
From my experience, I thought the military portrayal was pretty spot on (military gear, tactics, fallibility, rank, age differences, rancor, sense of duty and dedication to mission; never give up, never surrender).

Predictable formula script? sure, in some ways, but I found plenty of surprises as well.
Maybe if I watched this sort of film all the time, I'd be as cynical as many here.

I really enjoyed this film (gave it 8/10; probably would have given it 7 1/2, but it deserves better than what I see others giving it).

Recent revelations from sources such Bigelow and Elizondo, have all but confirmed that we are being visited by aliens. And, who knows, maybe they will decide to harvest our water before we contaminate if any further, as we creep and crawl closer and closer to our own nuclear annihilation.
December 21, 2017
Flawed as it is, Battle: Los Angeles makes up for its flaws in more ways than one. Rather than being a by the numbers sci-fi movie, it subverts genre expectations by being a war movie first, an action movie second, and a sci-fi movie third. Take away the aliens and replace them with any modern human army and not much would change, except the movie wouldn't be quite as good. Not all the performances are great, but Aaron Eckhart's performance as a 20-year war vet with PTSD and survivor's guilt is spectacular. There is one action scene early on that has some editing issues, but the rest of the action is intense, easy to follow, and keeps you on the edge of your seat. The aliens are something completely different from what we're used to seeing. They're not superior in every way. They're just desperate for a new home and they don't want to share it with us. Honestly, the only way to significantly improve this movie would be to make it R rated. Despite its PG-13 rating, a handful of war movie cliches, and a few other minor flaws, Battle: Los Angeles succeeds in almost every other way, giving us a war movie with aliens instead of a generic sci-fi movie.
December 1, 2017
As former marine I am not an ardent action junkie, but if you have never served in the marines I can see where you would give such a mundane review. Put your life on the line then watch the movie again, otherwise NEVER speak for those of us who have served. MARINES! RETREAT..... RETREAT HELL!
November 21, 2017
Way too much shaky cam in it, I cant see most of the action, Movie justs STOPS and it seems when it seems like there should be more, But Aaron Eckhart was great in it, He was badass in this movie.
½ November 10, 2017
good concept just overly dramatic
½ September 8, 2017
The trailer is great and it's for one to expect such great things to come, but it ends up being a fun movie focusing on a team of Marines that do their job protecting the world from any form of threat.

The action sequences are wonderfully crafted and special effects along with the art work are definitely worth the effort in making this film an amusing watch. It doesn't put much attention on science, politics or typical human dramatic situations, only focuses on the marine core and the tactics they use to take down the enemy.
½ August 9, 2017
Slightly better production values all round could have made this 'run of the mill' alien invasion movie better...instead it falls heavily on its face suffering as it does from one cliché after another...not helped by dodgy and tiresome hand held camera work,and flat characters,it's hard giving a damn for any of them,it's let down further by uninventive alien design too...It's not bad,just not very good either.
August 8, 2017
A poor man's Independence Day.
July 10, 2017
Ugh - ignore these reviews. This was such an action packed, scary, white knuckle thrill ride of a movie. This is a popcorn face stuffing, soda slurping, jump a minute movie that has you on the edge of your seat. By the end, you're yelling at the characters to do what they have to do to make it. Is it The Colour Purple? No. But dammit, it's here!
June 26, 2017
I hate a movie when the camera action is sporadic like in this movie. Even though the director tries to mimic reality it makes it hard to focus on anything.
½ April 8, 2017
grandpa fell asleep watching.
April 7, 2017
War movie cliche? Seriously? There is nothing cliche about war. I enjoyed this movie and actually watched it twice. There are little theatrics to this one that most movies like this have. Action packed from start to finish.
March 24, 2017
another humans vs aliens tale like 'battleship' or the superior 'skyline'
March 14, 2017
It is amazingly bad. It's not Room-bad, so it can be "haha so bad". It is just a very big waste of time. A painful waste of time.
February 20, 2017
probably one of the badest movies i have seen. buts its really funny to watch
January 30, 2017
It was pretty much exactly the type of movie it looked like. The action was solid and was a fun alien attack type of flick. The special effects were ok. I was surprised at the impressive list of actors in this movie as well.
½ January 3, 2017
It's good movie to watch
½ October 3, 2016
A thrilling combination of war and sci-fi, "Battle: Los Angeles" is one of the most fun action films I've ever seen.

As a shower of meteors begin raining down on the coasts of the world, it is thought to be an inconvenient evacuation. However, it is soon realized that this is not an accident, but a planned attack from another world. As we follow Staff Sergeant (Aaron Eckhart) and his new squad, we will be thrown into the fray and experience the upcoming war up close.

Gosh, to this day, I still can't comprehend the ratings for this movie. This movie has received a lot of hate and a lot of lackluster comments. For me, I'm on the opposite spectrum of everything said about this movie. "Battle: Los Angeles" is not only one of my favorite guilty pleasures of all time, but has snuck its way into my top 10 favorite movies of all time. Call me crazy, call me stupid, but I love this film. I enjoy the hell out of this film despite its glaring problems. This will be more of a subjective review because I had so much fun with this movie and I've watched it way too much.

First off, this movie is no where near perfect. It's far from perfect. It lacks in a lot areas and it will never be considered a quality movie. However, people seem to disregard the things it does do well and my appreciation for this movie is high. I'm approaching this from a personal standpoint, because in reality, I still think its a fresh movie, but I loved it even more than that.

This movie is a blend of war and sci-fi. It's one of the most thrilling action films I've ever seen. In fact, it feels like a video game. People find that to be a criticism but it's serving its purpose and it's doing a hell of a good job of that. With the documentary style film making and the execution of the battle scenes, it really feels like you're placed right in the middle of the war zone and it's intense. Bullets are flying everywhere, the marines are in complete distress, and death is happening all around you. People are getting fried by bullets and it never feels like anyone is safe. The action actually feels kind of gritty and it is no doubt intense. It can get your heart racing and each action scene stands out for one reason or another. It feels like war but it also feels like extra terrestrials invading your home planet all at the same time.

One thing I find progressively getting worse is the dialogue. The dialogue is sufficient enough but it's nothing special, if not cringe worthy at times. It's filled with unnecessary exposition and for the most part, a lot of it doesn't really have meaning. What I did like is how whenever things started getting intense, the actors did a great job of relaying that distress and adrenaline in their blood, making it feel even that more real. The awkward uses of curse words made the movie feel even more awkward and forced. The actors made it feel real during battle, but when the guns were down, the dialogue was forgettable.

The visuals are pretty impressive. I actually think the creative use of camerawork and angles really enhanced the visuals and made this movie stand strong today. The mix between CGI and practical effects was a nice strength that this movie had. There was never a point where I was cringing at the visuals, which is normally a common thing in sci-fi movies. Props to the stunning and realistic visuals that this movie delivered.

I'm not going to lie, there were multiple moments where I had goosebumps. This movie is adrenaline pumping and the action never stops. It is constantly chaotic and you feel so exhausted by the end of it. Looking at the behind the scenes footage, the director had such an interesting and exciting vision behind this project, which I'm completely on board with.

The character development is poor, no doubt. I've watched this movie how many times, yet I still get the characters mixed up. There is a pretty useless setup in the beginning and there are very few characters that are remembered. Aaron Eckhart did a fantastic job as the lead character and really brought the toughness and physicality to his character. Will Rothhaar as Imlay was my personal favorite, as his likability and bad-ass persona got him points in my book. Every time Noel Fisher talked, all I heard was Michelangelo talk (fan-boy), so that made me happy. For the most part, everyone fulfilled their roles just fine. They all brought the intensity and chemistry during the action and they made a huge part of this film.

In the end, "Battle: Los Angeles", in my opinion, is a fresh movie. Realistically, I think it deserves 3 stars. However, I'm in love with this film. It's replay value is extremely high and I'm such a big fan. Subjectively, I'm giving it 4.5 out of 5 stars.
September 4, 2016
I actually rather enjoyed this one. The action scenes are solid and there's some decent suspense at the beginning. Nothing comes over as being overtly terrible, and although in the majority of ways it has generic, stereotyped, characters, it is in spite of all its drawbacks an entertaining and reasonably acted alien invasion sci-fi flick. 3/5