Before Sunset - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Before Sunset Reviews

September 18, 2017
The meet-up and catch-up encounter of the favorable loving pair not only continues the natural element of the charm and script but also adds more by setting its time through realistic (and technologically updated) reflections, both briefly topical and mainly thematic, in comparison to the first meeting but with a little more layers to the conversation. (A-)

(Full review TBD)
September 17, 2017
Secuela a una estupenda pelicula, la historia que han creado para la segunda parte es, sobre todo, creible. Mantienen las conversaciones unicas.
½ September 16, 2017
Too short is my biggest complaint.
July 12, 2017
Preserving the best and most effective elements from its predecessor, Linklater's continuation of his romantic flick may seem unnecessary, considering the subject, but this new depiction, although reminiscent of the first one, approaches new subjects and points of view, not to mention the great and natural chemistry from its main lead roles still intact, in order to delight fans of the first, becoming a pretty much similar experience as the 1995 film.
May 17, 2017
One continuous shot is a technical challenge. One continuous time lapse is an artistic challenge. Linklater had hinted at this in the first of the series, Before Sunrise, but in Before Sunset, every minute is even more precious because it is perhaps all the time Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy have to spend with each other. Before Sunrise was not missing much, but imagine if you had only watched the movie when it came out, then, nine years later without warning, a sequel comes out. It would be easy to idealize the happenings of the first movie, just so the second one seemed extra magical. And what's even more outstanding is how well, in fact much better, Before Sunset stands on its own. That's because the chemistry is not beholden to what happened nine years ago. It's still there, after all this time. It's more mature, too. They have real responsibilities now, and the consequences of their actions are much higher. With that, they find an easier time to laugh about the circumstances of the world and have more hope, though they certainly were not lacking those skills in their younger selves. Hawke and Delpy are also more self-aware here. And, perhaps most importantly, the two never once directly propose the idea of getting back together, or even sharing some physically romantic gesture. They only express such feelings through stories, dreams, songs. There's tension in what is unresolved, but is relieved by the calm in what has been resolved. This dichotomy means Before Sunset ultimately comes out as even better than Before Sunrise. I'm looking forward to the next (and perhaps final?) movie.
½ May 13, 2017
a rare and special treat
April 25, 2017
Good movie. Romantic comedy.
April 7, 2017
There's so much more nuance here than in "Before Sunrise". That doesn't make it a better or worse film for that reason, but it is one of the film's strengths. We're disappointed by so many things, and even more disappointed that they aren't outwardly more disappointed in each other, because we're still in love with Jesse and Celine after all that time.

In Jesse I see a man that has a romantic notion of his reunion with Celine, but is quietly hurt. He's afraid that their night together meant more to him than it did to her. Celine is afraid of what will happen if she gives herself over to him again.
March 22, 2017
Before Sunrise was a good romance movie with such great, thought provoking dialogue. Though completely optimistic and good hearted, it lost me at that overall elevation of love, finding the true love at such a random encounter on one day. However, I have to say that after watching Before Sunset, my thoughts on Before Sunrise elevated. One that may say that would most likely say it if the sequel were an inferior movie, but Before Sunset is absolutely not. Before Sunset builds off the events occurring nine years ago in Before Sunrise, but builds in a way that is so perfectly works. Before Sunset is not an unnecessary sequel, especially when it excels its predecessor, and is the best way to make a sequel to a romance movie.

In Before Sunrise, Jesse (Ethan Hawke) and Celine (Julie Delpy) had a heightened view of love, life, and the future. Like I said before, it was very optimistic, most notably in its ending. Instead of travelling down the same road that Sunrise took, Before Sunset shows our two leads both having different ideals, problems, and outlooks on life than before. And rightfully so, their mindsets should have changed in the nine years of not seeing each other. While both flustered and excited by how they get to meet again, both Jesse and Celine are bitter and show the struggle they've had after that one great night in 1994. Jesse, though sounds successful when written down in a short biography, is a shell of the man who idealized love, which also goes for Celine, who achieved her dream, but faltered on romance.

You sit and watch in awe as these two walk and talk and sit and talk, and you begin to ask "why can't these two just be together"? And Before Sunset doesn't hold any of its punches back, it clearly explains the problems with you thinking that, all the while giving such a subtle romantic connection between the two leads. You an feel the chemistry, the sparks flying, but no grandeur romantic acts come in sight for either. It's perfect, realistic, and a more mature movie than Before Sunrise.

I did not expect to love Before Sunset as much as I did, especially after only liking Before Sunrise (which I gave a 4 out of 5). The chemistry between Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy is incredible, downplaying the romance and love for one another, but still showing their affection for one another. It's not as long as Before Sunrise, but still manages to hit all the points it needed to hit, along with an ending that perfectly wraps it all up by leaving you both satisfied and craving for more.
½ March 20, 2017
Nine years after their first meeting Vienna and this time it's in Paris.
Linklater and his talented actors allow you to indulge in their conversations like friend sitting with them at the same table or strolling along the streets of Paris,.

A movie with zero visual effects but can capture all of your senses just with the cast brilliant performance.
½ February 15, 2017
Beautiful. I'm not one for rom-coms but this film made me feel more than think. I watched this on a flight and when I had to snap back to reality, reality almost felt unreal. It's so amazingly simple with long takes, brilliant writing, and the fact that the entire film is essentially a conversation. I could peel off the many layers of the film and get to the philosophy of it but that's for another day. Still need to watch Before Sunrise, and watching this was purely impulsive, but I'm so glad I finally did. Haven't gotten so lost in a film in a while.
February 15, 2017
Jessie and Celine meet again 9 years later to discuss what has happened overtime, change in opinion in the sequel that excels like the original
February 10, 2017
Beautiful. Though there are moments that feel slightly manufactured I preferred this over the first. Does just about everything the first did perfectly but the shorter time span made the film tighter and really enforced the fact that these characters' time was limited.
February 7, 2017
Nine years after "Before Sunrise" we meet up again with Celine and Jesse after a chance meeting between them in Paris - an hour before Jesse is due to fly home to America. A lot has happened to both characters in 9 years but it doesn't take long for them to rediscover the connection they had so long ago. Shot in 'real time' so that for every minute you are watching, one minute also passes for them. This long-awaited sequel doesn't suck.
½ January 3, 2017
In most movies I wouldn't like it if I felt they were preaching their liberal politics. In most movies I wouldn't like it if I didn't like the character flaws of the main characters. But this movie like the first isn't about what they say or who they are. Instead it is about the interaction between our main characters and their chemistry. It is a simple movie about a couple who met 9 years ago and spent one night getting to know each other. Now they meet again and it is as they were never apart. I look forward to the next movie.
September 24, 2016
I watched the two together (although i did intentionally wait one day), so it's not totally fair to pick this one over the Sunrise. Obviously this one has the benefit to build on the last film and thus a little more emotional, but i found the urgency in this one is what makes it better . Throughout the movie i worry that its gonna end soon, where in before sunrise it does drag a little from time to time. The scene in a car is perhaps just a bit too rushy, but fortunately it settles down for a nice finish.

It was great to see one great quality maintained from the first film: although obviously Paris is like a character in itself , it doesn't take away from the focus: the lead couple and their exchanges. It properly portraits the feeling of couple being in their own little bubble/world, suspended from reality in each other's company.

And also, i think the ending is definite, and it's satisfying enough for me. This is my favourite romantic movie of all time. In some way i wish i waited 9 years for this surprise, considering how much i enjoyed the sequel after just one day of wait.
September 22, 2016
Wow, who would have guessed that the indie romance drama would get a sequel? And a damn good one at that. Before Sunset picks up 9 years after the events of Before Sunrise. Jesse (an even better Ethan Hawke) is on a tour for his book, inspired by the one night he spent with Celine (once again a great Julie Delpy), and then Jesse notices Celine at one of his signings in Paris. Now that they are reunited, they walk around Paris before Jesse has to catch a flight, once again talking about their lives, and everything that had both changed and stayed the same.
One thing that this movie has that Before Sunrise did not, was an extremely short run time. At only 81 minutes, this film goes by quick, but it leaves an impression for sure. Once again with brilliant acting, directing, and writing, this movie is just as good as its predecessor. In fact it may be even better. The writing is now even better with Hawke and Delpy assisting with the script and writing massive amounts of their own dialogue. The acting is now more matured and you can see that their characters have grown as people, making them even more real than the writing does. And the directing is still beautiful with gorgeous long takes with an inventive style to them. Truly a master class in film making. And with no spoilers here, I will say that the ending is so beautiful, and it reveals so much about both characters and it makes you as a viewer appreciate everything leading up to it so much more. By far a better ending than the first film making it a much more powerful and memorable ending.
Overall this movie is just as good if not better than the last. everything is still perfect and the ending left me with the biggest smile on my face. Absolute perfection!!!

10/10
September 10, 2016
A sometimes brutal examination of loss, regret, time, memory, duplicity, complacency, happiness, ambivalence, and change, Before Sunset shifts the focus away from its predecessor's exuberant and poetic messages of optimistic love and hope and instead shines a light on the harsh realities of broken relationships, cynical adult life, and the world, while showing how our pasts can live on and haunt us in unexpected ways, albeit sometimes for a reason. Extremely long takes and minimal camera movement ground the film and allows the actors' conversations to feel genuine. The script is another masterclass in enthralling, diverse dialogue and is packed with deeply meaningful parables and reflections on the enigmatic, but ultimately flawed, human condition. Although much of the film is full of gut wrenching realism, it again brilliantly ends on a soulful, mystical note of optimism and ambiguity.
September 5, 2016
Damn. I almost wish I had no idea there was a third film in this series waiting for me to watch. This one ends so perfectly I can assume bad things are in store for this charming pair in their next film.
But regardless of the happy ending here this film continues the overwhelming strength of the first film with remarkable performances from Delpy and Hawke, a wonderful believable screenplay, and some simple but perfect filmmaking from Linklater.
Can't wait to explore the final chapter.