Before Sunset - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Before Sunset Reviews

March 22, 2017
Before Sunrise was a good romance movie with such great, thought provoking dialogue. Though completely optimistic and good hearted, it lost me at that overall elevation of love, finding the true love at such a random encounter on one day. However, I have to say that after watching Before Sunset, my thoughts on Before Sunrise elevated. One that may say that would most likely say it if the sequel were an inferior movie, but Before Sunset is absolutely not. Before Sunset builds off the events occurring nine years ago in Before Sunrise, but builds in a way that is so perfectly works. Before Sunset is not an unnecessary sequel, especially when it excels its predecessor, and is the best way to make a sequel to a romance movie.

In Before Sunrise, Jesse (Ethan Hawke) and Celine (Julie Delpy) had a heightened view of love, life, and the future. Like I said before, it was very optimistic, most notably in its ending. Instead of travelling down the same road that Sunrise took, Before Sunset shows our two leads both having different ideals, problems, and outlooks on life than before. And rightfully so, their mindsets should have changed in the nine years of not seeing each other. While both flustered and excited by how they get to meet again, both Jesse and Celine are bitter and show the struggle they've had after that one great night in 1994. Jesse, though sounds successful when written down in a short biography, is a shell of the man who idealized love, which also goes for Celine, who achieved her dream, but faltered on romance.

You sit and watch in awe as these two walk and talk and sit and talk, and you begin to ask "why can't these two just be together"? And Before Sunset doesn't hold any of its punches back, it clearly explains the problems with you thinking that, all the while giving such a subtle romantic connection between the two leads. You an feel the chemistry, the sparks flying, but no grandeur romantic acts come in sight for either. It's perfect, realistic, and a more mature movie than Before Sunrise.

I did not expect to love Before Sunset as much as I did, especially after only liking Before Sunrise (which I gave a 4 out of 5). The chemistry between Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy is incredible, downplaying the romance and love for one another, but still showing their affection for one another. It's not as long as Before Sunrise, but still manages to hit all the points it needed to hit, along with an ending that perfectly wraps it all up by leaving you both satisfied and craving for more.
½ March 20, 2017
Nine years after their first meeting Vienna and this time it's in Paris.
Linklater and his talented actors allow you to indulge in their conversations like friend sitting with them at the same table or strolling along the streets of Paris,.

A movie with zero visual effects but can capture all of your senses just with the cast brilliant performance.
½ February 15, 2017
Beautiful. I'm not one for rom-coms but this film made me feel more than think. I watched this on a flight and when I had to snap back to reality, reality almost felt unreal. It's so amazingly simple with long takes, brilliant writing, and the fact that the entire film is essentially a conversation. I could peel off the many layers of the film and get to the philosophy of it but that's for another day. Still need to watch Before Sunrise, and watching this was purely impulsive, but I'm so glad I finally did. Haven't gotten so lost in a film in a while.
February 15, 2017
Jessie and Celine meet again 9 years later to discuss what has happened overtime, change in opinion in the sequel that excels like the original
February 10, 2017
Beautiful. Though there are moments that feel slightly manufactured I preferred this over the first. Does just about everything the first did perfectly but the shorter time span made the film tighter and really enforced the fact that these characters' time was limited.
February 7, 2017
Nine years after "Before Sunrise" we meet up again with Celine and Jesse after a chance meeting between them in Paris - an hour before Jesse is due to fly home to America. A lot has happened to both characters in 9 years but it doesn't take long for them to rediscover the connection they had so long ago. Shot in 'real time' so that for every minute you are watching, one minute also passes for them. This long-awaited sequel doesn't suck.
½ January 3, 2017
In most movies I wouldn't like it if I felt they were preaching their liberal politics. In most movies I wouldn't like it if I didn't like the character flaws of the main characters. But this movie like the first isn't about what they say or who they are. Instead it is about the interaction between our main characters and their chemistry. It is a simple movie about a couple who met 9 years ago and spent one night getting to know each other. Now they meet again and it is as they were never apart. I look forward to the next movie.
September 24, 2016
I watched the two together (although i did intentionally wait one day), so it's not totally fair to pick this one over the Sunrise. Obviously this one has the benefit to build on the last film and thus a little more emotional, but i found the urgency in this one is what makes it better . Throughout the movie i worry that its gonna end soon, where in before sunrise it does drag a little from time to time. The scene in a car is perhaps just a bit too rushy, but fortunately it settles down for a nice finish.

It was great to see one great quality maintained from the first film: although obviously Paris is like a character in itself , it doesn't take away from the focus: the lead couple and their exchanges. It properly portraits the feeling of couple being in their own little bubble/world, suspended from reality in each other's company.

And also, i think the ending is definite, and it's satisfying enough for me. This is my favourite romantic movie of all time. In some way i wish i waited 9 years for this surprise, considering how much i enjoyed the sequel after just one day of wait.
September 22, 2016
Wow, who would have guessed that the indie romance drama would get a sequel? And a damn good one at that. Before Sunset picks up 9 years after the events of Before Sunrise. Jesse (an even better Ethan Hawke) is on a tour for his book, inspired by the one night he spent with Celine (once again a great Julie Delpy), and then Jesse notices Celine at one of his signings in Paris. Now that they are reunited, they walk around Paris before Jesse has to catch a flight, once again talking about their lives, and everything that had both changed and stayed the same.
One thing that this movie has that Before Sunrise did not, was an extremely short run time. At only 81 minutes, this film goes by quick, but it leaves an impression for sure. Once again with brilliant acting, directing, and writing, this movie is just as good as its predecessor. In fact it may be even better. The writing is now even better with Hawke and Delpy assisting with the script and writing massive amounts of their own dialogue. The acting is now more matured and you can see that their characters have grown as people, making them even more real than the writing does. And the directing is still beautiful with gorgeous long takes with an inventive style to them. Truly a master class in film making. And with no spoilers here, I will say that the ending is so beautiful, and it reveals so much about both characters and it makes you as a viewer appreciate everything leading up to it so much more. By far a better ending than the first film making it a much more powerful and memorable ending.
Overall this movie is just as good if not better than the last. everything is still perfect and the ending left me with the biggest smile on my face. Absolute perfection!!!

10/10
September 10, 2016
A sometimes brutal examination of loss, regret, time, memory, duplicity, complacency, happiness, ambivalence, and change, Before Sunset shifts the focus away from its predecessor's exuberant and poetic messages of optimistic love and hope and instead shines a light on the harsh realities of broken relationships, cynical adult life, and the world, while showing how our pasts can live on and haunt us in unexpected ways, albeit sometimes for a reason. Extremely long takes and minimal camera movement ground the film and allows the actors' conversations to feel genuine. The script is another masterclass in enthralling, diverse dialogue and is packed with deeply meaningful parables and reflections on the enigmatic, but ultimately flawed, human condition. Although much of the film is full of gut wrenching realism, it again brilliantly ends on a soulful, mystical note of optimism and ambiguity.
September 5, 2016
Damn. I almost wish I had no idea there was a third film in this series waiting for me to watch. This one ends so perfectly I can assume bad things are in store for this charming pair in their next film.
But regardless of the happy ending here this film continues the overwhelming strength of the first film with remarkable performances from Delpy and Hawke, a wonderful believable screenplay, and some simple but perfect filmmaking from Linklater.
Can't wait to explore the final chapter.
½ August 30, 2016
Definitely much more mature than the first one..as expected the acting and chemistry between the actors is superb along with great camera work..the best way to describe this movie would be to say that its "realistic"
August 16, 2016
In "Before Sunrise", Ethan Hawke and Julie Deply play a couple of young adults who meet in Vienna, share a deep connection and a night together before departing and promising to meet each other back in Vienna in 6 months. It's a remarkable film that celebrates the deep connections between people that can form very quickly sometimes, and celebrates the art of dialogue and talking in films. "Before Sunset" reunites the couple 9 years later in Paris. Hawke has written a book about their night together in the first film, and at a book signing in Paris, he meets Delpy again. This is a very good sequel. It has all of the virtues of the first film, but it also deepens them by dealing with characters who are older and have new situations to confront. Both characters have more commitments now, and have encountered some of life's important compromises and disappointments, so their passion for each other is a bit tempered by an increased dose of reality.
July 3, 2016
I'm so glad I only had to wait a couple months (until I got together with my friend) to watch this film rather than the 9 years real fans had to wait.

It was definitely different, but still managed to capture the real essence of perhaps not love, but true connection and passion. It was so basic, so simple, and even awkward at times. The whole film is just an hour and a half long conversation between two people and feels as though it was shot in one scene. It was very quick paced, but nothing was really happening. Rather than an audience member watching someone tell a story, I felt like a stranger eavesdropping on a conversation two other people are having.

The ending did leave a slight sense of unsatisfaction and felt like it was cut a bit short, but is making me think that Jesse is ready to just throw away his life back in America and move to Europe.

I'm really glad I won't have to wait another 9 years to see the third film. :)
June 21, 2016
Infinitely boring American romance with empty two-way dialogues.
June 21, 2016
Infinitely boring American romance with empty two-way dialogues.
June 16, 2016
Great performances and amazing dialogues.
June 14, 2016
Thankfully this sequel wasn't terrible; I swear I felt some of the feelings that they were feeling, yet I've never been in love. I've had moments where I wept because of the intensity and sincerity that these people expressed. I'm highly anticipating in watching the last part of this magnificent trilogy. It's much sadder than the first because their lives have changed. Nevertheless I'm in awe.
June 11, 2016
So simple, so natural (if not a little too snappy), so real, Yet totally out of this world romantic.