Beginners - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Beginners Reviews

December 6, 2016
Beginners takes cinematic risks through a simple yet beautiful semi-true story with wit and charm.
November 21, 2016
It's absolutely, beautifully edited, and impressively written. Christopher Plummer is awesome in this. The father, son story mixed with the whole idea of his own father coming out later in his life is an interesting touch that makes Beginners stand out among other dramas out there. It's an LGBTQ friendly picture, that truly packs a punch for everyone all around. That scrappy dog is adorable too! But the problem was, any time Plummer wasn't onscreen, i tuned out immediately. The romance between McGregor and the french girl bored me to death.. I apologize, I do.. It's just not my cup of tea. It's not a film I'd advise against, for anyone however. There's a lot of praise to go around.
November 6, 2016
A favorite in its unique way of conversing with the audience.
½ November 4, 2016
A particularly cutsie indie film, but so endlessly melancholic it's hard to really enjoy all that much. On top of that, several times, McGregor's character is jarringly inconsistent, and there's quite a few rather contrived moments too.
½ October 3, 2016
Contains lots of voice-over narration and non-linear storytelling. Oliver (Ewan McGregor) is a perpetually gloomy graphic artist, sho we see as a boy with his eccentric mother and a man working on a long term relationship and dealing with news from his father. Semi-autobiographical from writer/director Mike Mills life. Mélanie Laurent, the year after she appeared in Inglourious Basterds, is Anna, the love interest to Oliver. Christopher Plummer's character Hal, Oliver's father, finally starts living his authentic life as a gay man and faces terminal cancer. A sweet story about modern day relationships. Checking this movie off my watchlist means that I have completed my primary Oscar list. Going back to the beginning of the Academy Awards in 1927, I have now seen every film (that I can find) that has won the Academy Award for Best Picture, Director, Writing, Lead and Supporting Actor, and Lead and Supporting Actress.
½ October 2, 2016
A-
Ewan McGregor, Christopher Plummer, and Melanie Laurent provide warmth, subtle humor, and a good feeling in the roles they were chosen to play. I have to say that the story that ties McGregor's character to the two characters in his life (his French girlfriend, and his gay father) has brief moments of inconsistency, but the feeling and execution are what makes 'Beginners' a deep narrative commentary on the historic events that happened and homosexuality itself. It is also a good movie to sit through while sipping on a hot glass of coffee.
½ September 24, 2016
honestly i'm not comfortable with LGBT movies.
September 18, 2016
The interesting narrative and warm heart of Beginners delivers a powerful and engaging story of romance and all it'd difficulties in an amusing way. Brilliant performances as well come from Plummer and MacGregor.
August 29, 2016
It's difficult to find a good film about romantic relationships these days. So, this one is probably an exception. A sweet story without much trivial dialogue, interesting editing to support a kind of non-linear narration and lovely performances by its protagonists. A bittersweet and delightful trip.
August 27, 2016
Beginners is a deeply heartfelt movie that goes through the love lives of two generations with style and grace, thanks to the great job of Ewan McGregor, Christopher Plummer and Mélanie Laurent.
The storyline and directing are also original and remarkable.
July 27, 2016
The storyline and directing are also original and remarkable.
½ July 13, 2016
This is certainly not a comedy (the sense of humor doesn't work that well), and I found it sad and depressing, contrary to those who thought it was sweet and optimistic. Besides, the characters seem too shallow in their artificial indie quirkiness and the dialogue is very annoying.
June 4, 2016
This dreary comedy and aloof drama failed to reach me.
½ May 6, 2016
Some good comedic and dramatic moments but generally quite dull.

A 38-year old graphic designer, Oliver (played by Ewan McGregor), is dealing with the death, from cancer, of his father, Hal (Christopher Plummer). Four years earlier Oliver's mother, Georgia (Mary Page Keller) died, also of cancer. Georgia's death was the catalyst for Hal coming out as gay, and finding a boyfriend. Oliver meets a French actress, Anna (Melanie Laurent), and they start a relationship. It's not smooth sailing though.

Very uneven. Some good, quirkily funny, moments, especially involving the dog, who seems to get all the best lines (!). Also some good dramatic moments, especially those dealing with grief and how Oliver uses sketches to show his feelings.

Unfortunately, these moments are few and far between. For the most part the movie meanders around, not finding a purpose or momentum. The scenes involving Oliver and Anna get bogged down in drawn-out soap opera-ish melodrama and always kill off any spark that might have appeared before. The ending is a damp squib.

Can't fault the performances. The highlight is Christopher Plummer as Hal. He was perfect for the role, providing a great mix of sensitivity and passion. Plummer won Best Supporting Actor at the 2012 Oscars, his first and (to date) only Oscar. At 82 he became the oldest winner of a competitive Oscar.
½ February 1, 2016
Though, it is slow at times, Beginners is a charming yet sad realization to what real love is about and the tragedy to what it feels like to be alone.
January 18, 2016
Saw 2015...love Ewan McGregor and Christopher Plummer.
January 7, 2016
Beautiful story of loneliness, dependence and the relationships that spark when least expected. Plummer is wonderfully witty as a 75 year-old man who's recently come out.
½ December 17, 2015
Is everyone whispering in this movie?
½ December 15, 2015
There are definitely some nice elements at play here, but the final act was a bit unrewarding.