Being John Malkovich - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Being John Malkovich Reviews

½ February 13, 2018
Original and engaging, 'Being John Malkovich was as daring as it is rewarding. The acting is so believable your mind will be manipulated into putty. It's one of the most underrated film of the 20th century. Final Score: 9.1/10
½ February 9, 2018
Hadn't seen this since it came out, so I forgot some of this. It still is one very very strange movie. The casreer highs of Charlie Kaufman and Spike Jonez for sure. Cusack is great, but Diaz is mesmerizing.
½ January 24, 2018
Great movie. Incredibly original plot which interesting from beginning to end. Great acting from Cusack, Diaz & Keener. For such a "left field" idea, the movie comes across as very believable, which is a great feat.
½ December 21, 2017
nice but forgetable.
fo r the small random hunger at a lonly evening.
December 9, 2017
Saying it's a weird movie is an understatement. However, that doesn't mean it's entertaining. Good to see John Cusack and John Malkovich have a role reversal after Con-Air.
½ November 27, 2017
funny, interesting, original, very weird and different. but most importantly with these kinds of movies, it made sense. (2 viewings)
November 17, 2017
a weird movie that really entertained me
½ September 24, 2017
What a wildly inventive movie! It offers so much absurdity that there are moments which made my jaw drop at the amount of creativity involved. Putting its absurdity aside, it also came with a great story which developed itself expertly throughout the film. There were many unique twists and turns. Also, the ending was very memorable and fitting.
September 22, 2017
A smart and funny film with bizarre experiences and witty dialogue, I enjoyed every minute of spike jonze's weird and unique film
August 12, 2017
Being John Malkovich is the first film Charlie Kaufman wrote, and the first film Spike Jonze directed. This is so far the strangest film connected to these filmmakers. Just like Kaufman's other films; it's complex, it's depressing, and it's such a beautiful masterpiece. This is definitely Charlie's second best film.
½ July 19, 2017
too weird for me and not funny either
May 4, 2017
Fascinatingly weird. Writing the plot in one sentence is too much fun: A puppeteer, who lives with his wife, chimpanzee and the rest and works on the 7.5th floor of his office building, discovers a passageway that leads into John Malkovich's psyche. Is the movie as much fun? Yeah, but only when we are with John Malkovich. The fight over his body and mind -- i.e., who controls the body and who has sex with the body -- is a delight, and there is something so endearing and inspirational about *SPOILER* John Malkovich's career change into puppetry. Even though I know someone else is controlling the body, I sincerely believe it is Malkovich who wanted this. That goes to show how crafty of a puppeteer Craig Schwartz (John Cusack) is. Still, I feel like this movie gives far too much weight to its insipid love triang-- trapezoid(?) of unlikable characters. Except John Malkovich. There is something especially naked about the actor, to play himself, living his normal life, and, along with Spike Jonze's oddball touches (you have never seen enough Malkovich until he enters his own psyche), Being John Malkovich succeeds on craftsmanship. The story might wear on many, after a while, and I already feel it wearing on me.
April 26, 2017
Very odd movie about a down on his luck puppeteer, played by John Cusack, who discovers a way of inhabiting the body of famous actor John Malkovich for only 15 minutes. At first he uses his discovery to make money off of people who want to see what's it like to be Malkovich until Malkovich discovers what is happening. Malkovich demands that he stop but Cusack's character figures out how to inhabit and control Malkovich for longer than 15 minutes.
½ April 21, 2017
Interesting, creative - really wierd
April 9, 2017
An astoundingly enthralling and wondrous film.
½ April 3, 2017
Too strange! Lots of points for originality - you've never seen anything like this before - but begins to get weird for weirdness' sake alone. Also a bit disturbed about the humor of holding a gun to your wife's head and locking her in a cage.
½ March 25, 2017
You know who steals the show in Being John Malkovich? John Malkovich. He does such a brilliant job you don't even realize he's acting as someone acting as him.
March 4, 2017
Upon my first viewing of this film, I initially saw it as an absurdly incomprehensible and arty picture, but that may have been due to me being a naive student at the time. Now, upon my second viewing many years later, I can honestly say that I now appreciate this film for the gloriously weird marvel that it is.

The directorial debut from indie auteur Spike Jonze, written by the fantastic Charlie Kaufman, 'Being John Malkovich' is a brilliant fantasy black comedy that delves into an area of originality that no other movie has ever approached. With a premise that reeks of confidence and a plot that has its audience questioning the very nature of it, this film takes its viewers on a ride through a confusing yet rewarding adventure full of twists, turns and outright hilarious scenes.

The acting is superb from all throughout, and the humour, whilst mostly quite subtle, has a dark overtone that acts as more of a satire - my favourite scene being when (spoiler alert) Malkovich enters his own portal and is thrust into a world where everyone is John Malkovich, with their vocabulary being limited to a single word: "Malkovich", a scene that I appreciated as both original and pure comedy gold. Both Jonze and Kaufman should be proud of this monumental feat of moviemaking.
½ January 11, 2017
Original, and above all, bizarre, "Being John Malkovich" is as deep as it is unusual.