Being John Malkovich - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Being John Malkovich Reviews

January 15, 2019
Love, love LOVE this awesome film. Such a rare treat to see a film that's 100% original writing. Pretty certain the actors loved working together performing for this brilliant screenplay.
½ January 11, 2019
Very interesting premise with bizarre characters and developments till it all makes sense. Wonderfully done - kept me guessing till the end.
½ January 10, 2019
The incomparable genius of Charlie Kaufman. Screenwriting goals.
½ November 27, 2018
Charlie Kauffman is a genius and Being John Malkovich is a testament to that. A unique idea but the zaniness is a bit too much to overcome. Not the director's fault though- Spike Jonze's filmography is defined by the offbeat and probably Being John Malkovich could be his most straightforward, or accessible film. But if so was the intention then he could have made this into a more box office friendly film. The drab settings and production design and the bleak outlook dampened the mood. The acting is good throughout and John Malkovich is very good playing a scared version of himself, and as mentioned at the start- the idea is absolutely class. (Kauffman and Jonze's movie magic at play).
½ November 6, 2018
This film was almost good.
October 29, 2018
After hearing so much about this movie I had to see what all the fuss was about and I really wish I hadn't. Being John Malkovich is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. It just keeps getting weirder and weirder and then ends without any explanation. The plot itself makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Reading the reviews I realized I may be alone here with my opinion but I'm sticking to it.
September 27, 2018
September 18, 2018
One of those few movies that remains as unpredictable in its second half as it was in its first half. Cerebral mind bending must see.
August 8, 2018
Wow..., the kind of bizarre that makes you burst out laughing!
½ August 1, 2018
July 28, 2018
this was suposed to be a comedy?
½ July 16, 2018
Worth a watch for the unique concept and execution but be ready to be filled with existentialist dread
June 21, 2018
Being John Malkovich is a 1999 American fantasy comedy-drama film directed by Spike Jonze.
1001
April 15, 2018
Original, hilarious, weird, bleak, and twisted. Kaufman and Jonze make you laugh, gasp, and wonder what the hell is going on.
April 13, 2018
An inventive and unique story about being a puppeteer of someone's mind. Being John Malkovich is a bizarre yet clever contemplation concerning personal identity. If you haven't seen the restaurant scene then you're missing out: "Malkovich?"
March 29, 2018
Thank you Kaufman and thank you Malkovich for this surreal and quirky journey. Loved it.
½ March 29, 2018
Clever, inventive storyline. Love this film.
February 25, 2018
A very strange and absurdist film - yet the smart comedic writing manages to keep it somewhat grounded.
½ February 24, 2018
1001 movies to see before you die.
½ February 13, 2018
Original and engaging, 'Being John Malkovich was as daring as it is rewarding. The acting is so believable your mind will be manipulated into putty. It's one of the most underrated film of the 20th century. Final Score: 9.1/10