Being John Malkovich - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Being John Malkovich Reviews

½ January 15, 2017
Upon my first viewing of this film, I initially saw it as an absurdly incomprehensible and arty picture, but that may have been due to me being a naive student at the time. Now, upon my second viewing many years later, I can honestly say that I now appreciate this film for the gloriously weird marvel that it is.

The directorial debut from indie auteur Spike Jonze, written by the fantastic Charlie Kaufman, 'Being John Malkovich' is a brilliant fantasy black comedy that delves into an area of originality that no other movie has ever approached. With a premise that reeks of confidence and a plot that has its audience questioning the very nature of it, this film takes its viewers on a ride through a confusing yet rewarding adventure full of twists, turns and outright hilarious scenes.

The acting is superb from all throughout, and the humour, whilst mostly quite subtle, has a dark overtone that acts as more of a satire - my favourite scene being when (spoiler alert) Malkovich enters his own portal and is thrust into a world where everyone is John Malkovich, with their vocabulary being limited to a single word: "Malkovich", a scene that I appreciated as both original and pure comedy gold. Both Jonze and Kaufman should be proud of this monumental feat of moviemaking.
½ January 11, 2017
Original, and above all, bizarre, "Being John Malkovich" is as deep as it is unusual.
½ November 14, 2016
Tragic excuse of a film
November 8, 2016
4/5 Ratings for being John Malkovich
F : 93 %
R: 7 %
Comedy 20% Drama 20% SciFi 30% Fantasy 30%
October 28, 2016
Charlie Kaufman's first movie, and the one that put him on the map. I found myself just utterly baffled while watching this. Never in my life have I been this confused about how on earth a person could come up with an idea like this, and on top of that, that it actually managed to become a film. I'm happy it did, because it's actually pretty amazing. If you don't know anything about it, I'd say keep it that way and go in cold. That's the best way to do it.
½ October 27, 2016
This movie had a really cool idea behind it. Unfortunately, it just gets all a bit too weird by the end
½ October 25, 2016
An original and bizarre adventure into the human condition, and dealing with insecurities. There a few twists and turns, but don't expect any satisfying conclusion.
October 8, 2016
Not sure exactly what the feeling the audience is suppose to take away. Not wanting to be yourself and wanting to see the world in another persons eyes? Surely it's well acted totally original interesting film.
October 5, 2016
....What did I just see? Can't tell if this is brilliant or if it is sanity held together by a string..but perhaps that's just the definition of brilliance.
October 1, 2016
funny but mostly a creative script that puts this movie in top
August 29, 2016
Malkovich Malkovich! Malkovich Malkovich Malkovich Malkovich.
August 28, 2016
A must-see film for Malkovich's performance and a wicked concept. First half hour very wobbly, last half hour unnecessarily complex and low-spirited, but the core is brilliant.
August 14, 2016
I can't bring myself to like this movie. It's way too weird for me and I usually like weird stuff in movies. D
½ August 7, 2016
Boldly original and unabashedly weird, "Being John Malkovich" succeeds as a funny, innovative piece of meta-fiction.
½ August 4, 2016
este filme vai alem dos caprichos comuns do gosto tradicional por cinema e ficção
July 23, 2016
Spike Jonze has in his hands a complicated script by Charlie Kaufman, and it's amazing how it transforms this complex script, different, silly and seemingly almost infilmável in a complete audio visual work (in narrative terms), but somehow the work not me handle, it is not the fault of the film, all Spike Jonzen movies are great, but none captivates me emotionally, and this is no different, as I said before, it seems something silly, which turns into a beautiful romance (outside the traditional ), but I can not untie that premise "Boba" with the rest of the film, maybe Spike should use more sound resource, since this film is missing a soundtrack at times, although the sound mixing is impeccable, photography, the characters and even the extras in the scene are emblematic, some characters have only one speaks in history, but realize their great personalities, and amazing scenery, remember the Schwartz couple's home or surrealistic company that Craig (John Cusack) works, the film also has a philosophy to present, we are stuck in our bodies, our lives are miserable, we are ambition of slaves (yes, remember Fight Club), which we would not give to be someone else even for fifteen minutes? Our lives are so bad that? I do not know, or Spike will know, because it only displays the question and does not delve into it. "Being John Malkovich" It's a good movie, do not expect nothing amazing, but I believe faithfully that depending on the person, her anger find "Being John Malkovich" your favorite movie because he has something to say, but it depends on the person understand and sympathize with him.

Sorry for my English translator google.
July 19, 2016
A little too weird for my tastes... and I love weird stuff.
June 22, 2016
4/5

Charlie Kaufman-written films always tend to have that "who the fuck came up with this" characteristic and that is far from bad as unlike other people in the industry his ideas are actually very well thought out and connected and even more shockingly both funny and dramatic which is one step behind the guts it takes to make funny horror. Add to that Spike Jonze as the director and an all star cast with an obvious one in the title and you have a film that just like the poster suggest, will stay in your head for a while for all the best reasons.
June 13, 2016
Strange and quirky with one of the most unpredictable scripts of all time. Charlie Kaufman's first feature length film shines with every frame.