Being John Malkovich - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Being John Malkovich Reviews

May 4, 2017
Fascinatingly weird. Writing the plot in one sentence is too much fun: A puppeteer, who lives with his wife, chimpanzee and the rest and works on the 7.5th floor of his office building, discovers a passageway that leads into John Malkovich's psyche. Is the movie as much fun? Yeah, but only when we are with John Malkovich. The fight over his body and mind -- i.e., who controls the body and who has sex with the body -- is a delight, and there is something so endearing and inspirational about *SPOILER* John Malkovich's career change into puppetry. Even though I know someone else is controlling the body, I sincerely believe it is Malkovich who wanted this. That goes to show how crafty of a puppeteer Craig Schwartz (John Cusack) is. Still, I feel like this movie gives far too much weight to its insipid love triang-- trapezoid(?) of unlikable characters. Except John Malkovich. There is something especially naked about the actor, to play himself, living his normal life, and, along with Spike Jonze's oddball touches (you have never seen enough Malkovich until he enters his own psyche), Being John Malkovich succeeds on craftsmanship. The story might wear on many, after a while, and I already feel it wearing on me.
April 26, 2017
Very odd movie about a down on his luck puppeteer, played by John Cusack, who discovers a way of inhabiting the body of famous actor John Malkovich for only 15 minutes. At first he uses his discovery to make money off of people who want to see what's it like to be Malkovich until Malkovich discovers what is happening. Malkovich demands that he stop but Cusack's character figures out how to inhabit and control Malkovich for longer than 15 minutes.
½ April 21, 2017
Interesting, creative - really wierd
April 9, 2017
An astoundingly enthralling and wondrous film.
½ April 3, 2017
Too strange! Lots of points for originality - you've never seen anything like this before - but begins to get weird for weirdness' sake alone. Also a bit disturbed about the humor of holding a gun to your wife's head and locking her in a cage.
½ March 25, 2017
You know who steals the show in Being John Malkovich? John Malkovich. He does such a brilliant job you don't even realize he's acting as someone acting as him.
March 4, 2017
Upon my first viewing of this film, I initially saw it as an absurdly incomprehensible and arty picture, but that may have been due to me being a naive student at the time. Now, upon my second viewing many years later, I can honestly say that I now appreciate this film for the gloriously weird marvel that it is.

The directorial debut from indie auteur Spike Jonze, written by the fantastic Charlie Kaufman, 'Being John Malkovich' is a brilliant fantasy black comedy that delves into an area of originality that no other movie has ever approached. With a premise that reeks of confidence and a plot that has its audience questioning the very nature of it, this film takes its viewers on a ride through a confusing yet rewarding adventure full of twists, turns and outright hilarious scenes.

The acting is superb from all throughout, and the humour, whilst mostly quite subtle, has a dark overtone that acts as more of a satire - my favourite scene being when (spoiler alert) Malkovich enters his own portal and is thrust into a world where everyone is John Malkovich, with their vocabulary being limited to a single word: "Malkovich", a scene that I appreciated as both original and pure comedy gold. Both Jonze and Kaufman should be proud of this monumental feat of moviemaking.
½ January 11, 2017
Original, and above all, bizarre, "Being John Malkovich" is as deep as it is unusual.
½ November 14, 2016
Tragic excuse of a film
November 8, 2016
4/5 Ratings for being John Malkovich
F : 93 %
R: 7 %
Comedy 20% Drama 20% SciFi 30% Fantasy 30%
October 28, 2016
Charlie Kaufman's first movie, and the one that put him on the map. I found myself just utterly baffled while watching this. Never in my life have I been this confused about how on earth a person could come up with an idea like this, and on top of that, that it actually managed to become a film. I'm happy it did, because it's actually pretty amazing. If you don't know anything about it, I'd say keep it that way and go in cold. That's the best way to do it.
½ October 27, 2016
This movie had a really cool idea behind it. Unfortunately, it just gets all a bit too weird by the end
½ October 25, 2016
An original and bizarre adventure into the human condition, and dealing with insecurities. There a few twists and turns, but don't expect any satisfying conclusion.
October 8, 2016
Not sure exactly what the feeling the audience is suppose to take away. Not wanting to be yourself and wanting to see the world in another persons eyes? Surely it's well acted totally original interesting film.
October 5, 2016
....What did I just see? Can't tell if this is brilliant or if it is sanity held together by a string..but perhaps that's just the definition of brilliance.
October 1, 2016
funny but mostly a creative script that puts this movie in top
August 29, 2016
Malkovich Malkovich! Malkovich Malkovich Malkovich Malkovich.
August 28, 2016
A must-see film for Malkovich's performance and a wicked concept. First half hour very wobbly, last half hour unnecessarily complex and low-spirited, but the core is brilliant.