Belle - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Belle Reviews

October 6, 2016
An interesting movie. Loved the plot and twists.
½ July 19, 2016
I love this film. And would recommend you see this
July 12, 2016
The Help may be the standard for modern social consciousness films, but Belle is a superior film in many rights. It gracefully tackles the subject of racial prejudice and slavery without giving off any prejudice of its own, and it manages not to water down the message like The Help did. Belle boasts sharply written dialogue and a complete cast that delivers each line with poise and conviction. Compared to most films based on true stories, this one was respectful and it was strongly built on plot and historical significance as opposed to the romance.
½ June 11, 2016
I wonderful and fun movie worth watching and rewatching. To enjoy it more however reading a little about the real Dido Belle will help.
½ April 3, 2016
I really liked this Movie. It goes to show that some people can look past your skin color and love you for who you are.
March 21, 2016
Very cute movie with realistic storyline.
March 18, 2016
More about the polite aristocratic British Society than about Belles influence in ending Slavery in Britain. Still a very entertaining bio-pic though dull at times.
March 14, 2016
Not quite a great film, but certainly an important one. The Jane Austen-style marriage plot is underscored by a far more interesting exploration of racial and sexual politics in 18th century England. Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Sarah Gadon and Sam Reid are particularly good, while Miranda Richardson is amusing as the vicious Lady Ashford. It doesn't entirely rise above the trappings of costume drama, though.
March 5, 2016
A interesting period drama about race and class and the unrelenting love of two people.
January 24, 2016
The acting was superb! What a wonderful film!
January 2, 2016
Engaging and stirring, do see!
½ December 29, 2015
Well directed. Beautiful scenery. Lovely dresses. True story. Beautiful girls. "Belle" is like the black Cinderella. Overall a beautiful film.
December 27, 2015
Absolutely brilliant solid acting, scriptwriting and directing.
December 24, 2015
A fairly straight forward period tale that felt predictable, but it was still quite sweet.
November 22, 2015
No bad, but nothing new..
November 4, 2015
Best movie I've seen in a VERY long time! Great acting, great story, phenomenal movie!!! WATCH IT!
October 30, 2015
I been watching it every day for the past week, I love how Belle talks in the movie. The love story seems more beautiful because of the way they say it. Love the movie
October 29, 2015
Best movie I've seen in awhile
½ October 25, 2015
"Laws that allow us to diminish the humanity of anybody are not laws but frameworks for crime."

"... you will pardon me for believing that 'forgiveness' of my bloodline is both unnecessary and without grace. .."

A painstaking imaginative exploration of a Britain's 18th piratical empire, told through the eyes of an exceptionally privileged mixed-race daughter positioned to speak out against both human trafficking and arranged marriage. The story is based loosely on the historical accounts of an English sea captain's acknowledged mixed-race daughter, raised amid the wealth of the captain's uncle, the kingdom's Chief Justice. She is known through her time in the Chief Justice's care, her marriage to French lawyer, her early death, and her descendants. The film focuses primarily on the transition from pampered but excluded child to young woman of radical opinions, her rejection of aristocratic England's marital property market, her possible influence on a crucial judicial decision, her meeting with a certain man with at least a French name. I appreciated the dialogue enough to quote inspirational bits above--though much more of it consists of tart repartee. The actors are pitch-perfect, the period details have been painstakingly recreated, the story arc is quite satisfying. Highly recommended, especially if your parents crossed a social barrier to have you, or you get that "laws that diminish humanity"="frameworks framework crime" line.
October 25, 2015
I was underwhelmed by this movie.   It's a period drama about a mixed-race girl (whose name is Dido, the title is a bit puzzling) born to aristocracy in late 18th century England, and is one of those "based on a true story" flicks that's really just based on one small nugget of fact and then beefed up for the big screen.   So, it's a weird hybrid of "Lincoln" and "Pride and Prejudice".  I guess it's pretty good as a standard  period flick, but it could have been a lot more.  The beginning is strong and thought-provoking, it delves into the issues of class, race, and gender and all the spaces in between, and you really feel how Dido is stuck.  She doesn't belong anywhere in this world, and thanks to a strong performance by gorgeous Gugu Mbatha-Raw, you really feel her solitude and displacement.   But then... *sigh*...  then they bring a love interest into it and the film plummets into sappy romance land.  That's fine if you like those kind of movies, but I do not, and my heart sank a little as this social commentary on class structure, racism, and sexism morphed into a fluff romance.  The film tries to stay grounded in reality by placing it during the resolution of a major legal case that got the ball rolling towards the abolition of slavery in England, but by moving the focus away from Dido's struggle against the system and towards her lovelife, the film's attempts to have a socially relevant message are lost.   It's a shame, really.  Even though it's obvious that extreme dramatic license was taken with the story, the movie had potential to say something about social/political structure, even as it exists today.   While it's solid entertainment and kept me engaged for the run-time, the saccharine-sweet ending left a bad taste in my mouth.