Big Night - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Big Night Reviews

December 1, 2016
Lived it. :D Stanley and Tony are so talented
½ October 12, 2016
The brothers Primo and Secondo have come from Italy to America in hopes of running a successful, authentic Italian restaurant in 1950s-era New Jersey. Unfortunately they discover that they have an awful lot to learn about business in the New World. Much to their surprise, their newly opened Paradise Restaurant is not flooded with customers. The one customer they do have is unable to appreciate Primo's exquisitely prepared risotto because there is no spaghetti and meatballs on the side. When Primo hears this, he nearly becomes apoplectic with rage and Secondo must hastily try to mediate between the woman and his angry brother to whom he explains the philosophies of American business. Primo doesn't understand why the vulgar Americans would much rather eat the bastardized Italian foods served in stereotypical surroundings, such as the popular rival-restaurant Pascal's, when they could have the real thing at the Paradise. Things do not improve for the brothers and they go so deeply into debt that they are about to lose their business. In desperation, Secondo goes to Pascal for help. Pascal is all too happy to assist and so arranges for his good friend Louis Prima, a noted bandleader, to hold a dinner party at the Paradise, and Pascal arranges a menu. Secondo must then convince the volatile but brilliant Primo to cook the meal laid out by his hated rival. If the brothers can pull the dinner off without a hitch perhaps they will succeed.
June 22, 2016
Wonderful movie with flawless performances. The atmosphere is relaxed and unconstrained, long shots are pleasing to the eye.
May 9, 2016
The accents are all over the place and so hard to understand sometimes, though Big Night comes through with likable characters, a moving story, great looking food and a final shot that perfectly encapsulates all that came before it.
August 2, 2015
Didn't make it to the end. Slow and boring despite good performances.
½ April 27, 2015
Nine out of ten times give me a well done character movie like this one and on the tenth add food.
April 3, 2015
2015-04-03 watched while hubby showered, it was putting him to sleep. slow sad drama, well done.
March 29, 2015
A must see movie for all foodies!
January 29, 2015
One of the best of the best!
December 28, 2014
Tucci's triumphant little film is a sweet, good natured comedy with delectable performances all round.
August 23, 2014
Taylor McWilliams-Woods-when you are missing my cooking or just delicious Italian cooking - you need to watch this!! ????
½ August 14, 2014
As Tucci had already been a frequent stage actor at the time he made this film, no wonder why "Big Night" is tightly constructed like a three-act play with very simple, small and distinctive setting, strong focus on emotional development of the characters, and, of course, many conversations and gesture language - which are actually not my favorite since I prefer "eye acting" through close-up shots (that is why I almost do not enjoy David Mamet's works and the early films by Woody Allen). As such, the film is really enjoyable (and indeed delicious with many incredible Italian dishes) but not really admirable to me - watching a play with a short (although very meaningful) story spanning consecutively for a very short period of time (one day, to be exact) with almost no twist-and-turn or intimate moments is no fun to me. Still, the simplistic ending of the film is really really touching, well directed and well meaning - (SPOILER) nothing in the world can be more delicious and cherishable than a simple breakfast of omelette alongside with the one you love.
August 6, 2014
There is a soft in my heart, or perhaps my belly, for this film. Everything about is great. The story is sweet and charming. The music and the soundtrack are fantastic and memorable. The food looks amazing. The script along with the performances by Tony Shalhoub and Stanley Tucci are pitch perfect. A very, very underrated film.
August 2, 2014
A charming witty drama about two Italian Brothers desperately trying to keep in business against the much more popular restaurant down the street.

Filled with clever dialogue & fun scenes, this is in many ways at typical film but with some unique twists.

The key part of the film is when they are putting on a dinner for a key celebrity & the food they prepare is utterly mouth watering. It's a nice film with a nice tempo.
July 28, 2014
This was Stanley Tucci's directorial DEBUT?! Last scene was so dang good. And everything else, too.
July 15, 2014
Re-watching this during my lunchtime. One of my favorites of all time. Hard to find flaws.
July 10, 2014
As I've found out, I'm not particularly fond of foodie movies, especially when the food really dominates the movie, like here.
½ May 18, 2014
i am glad i decided to watch this, it was funny and had a great message that gets across eventually..oh yea and the food looked awesome.