Black Sea - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Black Sea Reviews

½ May 4, 2019
La giusta regia riesce a trasmettere bene le emozioni che si erano prefissati nella costruzione del film in generale. Ci viene quindi consegnato un feeling particolare di claustrofobia ed ansia, che non si basa solamente nel buon bilanciamento dei personaggi, ma anche dalle inquadrature e movimenti di camera. Buono anche il personaggio protagonista, che senza stupire troppo ha un buon carattere e delle buone motivazioni: viene confermato l'assoluto talento dell'attore protagonista. A tratti si perde in alcune scelte convenienti e non del tutto innovative, che pero' non scalfiscono la qualita' generale dell'intera pellicola.
April 20, 2019
Poorly executed and unrealistic. Someone was out of work and needed to make a movie fast.
February 28, 2019
Cool thing about this movie is that the Russians are actually real Russians not pretentious idiots butchering Russian accents. The person who reviewed this and said that the accents are fake... perhaps next time you can read the actor's names before you start typing nonsense...

You have real authentic burly Russian men here, just as you would find walking the streets of Moscow.
Jude Law's performance pulls the whole thing along, and also the two lead Russian actors - KONSTANTIN KHABENSKIY and GRIGORY DOBRUGIN make this worthwhile. . Their acting is the only reason I was able to finish this movie.

Other than that:

PLOT IS STUPID BEYOND BELIEF

*** SPOILERS AHEAD ***

Basically one psychopath murders several of his fellow crew members in cold blood, and for no substantial reason, he brings down the entire mission, and kills nearly everyone AND dies himself.

Very sad to see such an idiotic plot, and yet despite this this movie can STILL be worth just to see
February 18, 2019
A great thriller... Worth the 2 hrs for sure.
January 27, 2019
Taut thriller. Jude Law is very good. Sure there are a couple of holes that could sink...well, a submarine. But all the actors are in the perfect roles and rise above schlock. Not the best. Not the worst.

I'm surprised. I'm siding with the critics and boo'ing the public. This is damn well worth a watch.
December 29, 2018
Amazing. Great plot thats executed extremely well. I kept thinking this was an ordinary movie and hence I knew the outcome, but it kept taking left turns on me. The ending totally surprised me. I love sad endings vs the usual Disney happy ending that most films adhere to. Great performances and they all gelled together nicely. Very suspenseful and tense.
June 26, 2018
Plot holes ahoy! Very patchy action movie - some of it is pretty good, but it's totally inconsistent and the bad bits are really weak and klunky. Is Jude Law some sort of critics hero? How can they rate such a dumb action movie so high?
½ February 25, 2018
This is a very good film entry to the Submarine genre. I usually don't care for these types of movies, but I really liked this one. Jude Law is excellent in this film and should have been considered for an Oscar nod or at the very least a Golden Globe. There are some very tense scenes. Also Ben Mendelsohn does a nice job a the "Psycho" character. This one is definitely worth a watch.
December 8, 2017
Great movie. Jude Law plays an Aberdonian submarine captain, to rescue gold from the Black Sea. Intense movie. Well acted. Clever. Thought provoking. Law is great at playing a tough guy. Great, super, thrilling film.
½ October 19, 2017
Quite a good film but not one I would want to watch again.
½ September 22, 2017
You get a little claustrophobic being down there in the confinement's of a sub under so much water that it seems there is nothing but complete oblivion. But you know that some of the crew members aboard are worthwhile for the hearty expedition. It won't rise too much but enough to shine light on the true intentions of the voyage. Jude Law was the captain of the ship and sure was a damn good one at that too.
½ August 19, 2017
Not too shabby, but certainly not great. The premise seems like it could be interesting, but nothing particularly surprising happens and it's only Kevin Macdonald's direction, one of Jude Law's best performances to date and a satisfying ending that elevates the entire thing to a level of mediocrity.
½ July 23, 2017
Heist film but its bot all fun and adventure. But offers a realistic sense of a heist which is depressing and thrilling. All through out the film, theres no resolution for our characters until the end. Which is sad and depressing.
July 21, 2017
Given the subject matter the plot is ironically shallow, Jude Law's accent is chronic, the science is all over the shop, and it has more than its fair share of corn. Even so, it's eminently watchable. It looks good, the script doesn't suck, there's zero casting clangers, and it has plenty brilliant and often bleakly hilarious moments of interplay between the characters. The soundtrack and general use of sound, especially during the tense scenes leading up to the climax, is largely excellent. Really enjoyed it.
July 1, 2017
Great characters and performances, but a mediocre plot really sinks this movie. Haha I'm hilarious.
½ March 9, 2017
The caper? Nazi gold on the bottom of the ocean. Nothing new there, but everything is done competently in this submarine treasure hunt, except for a couple of plot curiosities. Definitely fun, with a premium performance from Jude Law.
March 6, 2017
I had trouble keeping track who was dead or alive, which is a problem for building suspense since I didn't know who to root for. C-
February 11, 2017
Literally bored out of my mind. Bad acting, poor script, slow plot, and really fake accents.

Wiki reported 80%, should've checked audience score first.
February 10, 2017
I got 40 mins into this when something so preposterous happened that the story lost all credibility at this point I stopped watching. up until then it was just about holding my interest
December 29, 2016