Blade: Trinity - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Blade: Trinity Reviews

June 20, 2016
Blade is tricked by vampires into murdering a human so now Blade is wanted by the vampires and humans. The vampire nation also wants to become day-walkers like Blade so they find and awaken Dracula. Ryan Reynolds' Hannibal King is essentially just a ripped Van Wilder that acts as his audition for Deadpool, which he nails. Dominic Purcell as Drake/Dracula is great and is probably one of the better parts of the film. Does not live up to the first in the franchise but is better than the 2nd in my opinion.
May 14, 2016
Blade: Trinity boasts all the stylish action fans have come to expect from this Marvel vampire-action flick but does it all at the expense of a good plot and the previous 2 films' deeper character moments (Unrated ending still better than the theatrical ending)
April 2, 2016
This film is slightly different from the first 2 films. One of the main differences is the comedy factor which is brought in by Ryan Reynolds. Worth at least a watch!
March 26, 2016
Just as good as the first two, The action was way better and Ryan Reynolds brings in some humour which helps allot at times.
March 6, 2016
Liked the first, thought the second was bad, might as well finish out the trilogy some day.
December 25, 2015
I think the first mistake was New Line handing a major franchise picture to a rookie inexperienced director. David Goyer has nourished this series thru his scripts, but that doesn't mean he could stand toe to toe with a very well done Blade 1 by Stephen Norrington or the insane vision of Blade 2 by cinematic wonderkind Guillermo Del Toro. Goyer just doesn't possess the skill of directing action nor does he have a highly imaginative visual eye that the prior directors had.

The second mistake was having two totally out of place cast members like Jessica Biel and Ryan Reynolds. Blade has always had a very gritty urban edge with a nice mixture of goth and hip hop. Biel and Reynolds does not fit at all. They belong in teen comedies and yuppie suburbanite style fare. Another casting blunder is that of Dominic Purcell as the big daddy Dracula. He had the look and menace of an underwear model. The film needed a larger than life actor with charisma.... and something to actually do in the movie!! Trinity had none of that for ole Drac.

In making these mistakes resulted in a dull Blade movie with choppy action scenes full of boring explosions, bland set pieces, and barely adequate fight choreography... if you can catch any of it through all the shaky cam close ups and constant fast editing. You also get Reynolds trying like hell to be funny.... the entire movie, and Biel trying her best to act like a badass. Reynolds succeeded only sometimes while other times he came off strenuous and forced. Biel acted like she was still in a training session or a sparring match during her fight scenes. She didn't look convincing in the slightest especially in the shadow of Wesley Snipes who can pull it off effortlessly.... like he gets paid to kick ass..... Oh wait.

Speaking of Wesley Snipes, it was quite clear he didn't want to be part of this movie. Other than the well documented tension behind the scenes, Snipes phoned in his performance and looked more annoyed at being on that set. I don't really blame him either, because he was almost completely monopolized by his caucasian co stars. The title says BLADE, the fans want to see BLADE, and Goyer betrayed both Snipes and the fans.

I would get more into Kris Kristofferson's role in this movie, but it barely registers as anything but a slap in the face. I mean you die in Blade 1 only to get resurrected in Blade 2.... just to die again in a very underwhelming way in Blade 3? His character arc turned out to be a pointless sham.

Overall Blade Trinity is not a totally awful film. its just an awfully dull and misguided effort full of opportunities wasted by the studio and the filmmakers involved. It's a bad sign when the only spark of entertainment value you get from a "Blade" movie is Ryan Reynolds cutting it up with his likability and humor. Had New Line Cinema actually waited for Guillermo Del Toro to make his Hellboy movie, then as Del Toro said he "would have been on board for Blade 3". We would have gotten a much more satisfying conclusion to the Blade Trilogy.
December 23, 2015
This third and final entry in the Blade Trilogy is lackluster in just about every aspect of the film. Not horrendously made, but just really uninspired and dull after we had two extremely stylish and cool Blade films that really delivered before this.

The action is sloppy without any grace or sense of choreography... or geography for that matter. The fx are ho hum and boring.... how many times are we gonna be amazed by cgi disintegrating vampires?

I'd say the biggest offense to the series that was made, was overcrowding Wesley Snipes with characters that are more SUBurban than urban. Ryan Reynolds and Parker Posey are the most entertaining, but that's not a good thing when you have Snipes looking as enthused as a kid in a doctor's office about being in the film... I don't blame him. Dracula.... the biggest baddest vampire.... reduced to a few scenes before embarking on one of the most poorly done final showdowns I've ever seen.

Bottom line David S. Goyer was the wrong guy for the director's chair who's inexperience couldnt possibly measure up to the likes of Guillermo Del Toro or even Stephen Norrington who at least had a visual eye in his second feature as director. This was the finale that deserved a much grander end than the weak sauce that we were treated to...
½ December 9, 2015
After two awesome films the third film in the Blade Franchise kind of sucked. Poor I really hope that Marvel does more movies for this character because he ended on a bad note with a bad movie and a trash series.
November 30, 2015
In a series saturated with comically overwrought toughery and action sequences it's refreshing to see an entry that's more self aware. Ryan Reanolds particularly is a joy to behold in all his scenes, the dour tone only making his irreverent quips all the funnier.

I would call this a solid B movie, and well worth a watch if you're into gothic action films.
October 28, 2015
Come on...Ryan Reynolds is hysterical
October 17, 2015
I did enjoy Blade:Trinity. It wasn't the best Blade movie and I originally seen it in theaters. Having Blade battle Dracula who surprisingly a daywalker was a good idea. But, I hated the fact that WWE's wrestler Triple H was in the movie. He didn't belong in the movie. He was a terrible actor. He was suppose to portray a tough bad ass vampire. All he did was make himself look like Wesley Snipes's character Blade can whup him good. This movie didn't need him and should have had a few changes made in the story before the release of the film.
½ August 27, 2015
Awesome blade is still one of my all time favorite marvel movies add Ryan Reynolds and magic
½ August 5, 2015
I believe the trio was a great idea and Blade made an epic conclusion. Good job well done!
July 26, 2015
first was the best in my opinion but this is still a pretty decent movie...far from a great but decent enough to watch..if they ever make a 4th lets hope its much better than this one.
July 19, 2015
by no means a good movie but entertaining if in the right frame of mind for it.
½ May 19, 2015
The lazy action sequences, shot and edited too quickly, take up most of the movie and rid the film of the narrative coherence and pacing of the first two films.
May 17, 2015
It took me over ten years to bring myself to watch this. With these low expectations, I enjoyed it. The Vampire gang were fairly wank but nobody plays a really annoying cunt like Parker Posey. Blades crew are not much better. A serious twitch off Jessica Biel but when the premise of the flick involves Blade going toe to toe with Dracula, it fails to deliver.
April 17, 2015
Blade: Trinity completes the Blade trilogy in cinematic grandeur, and brings about Dracula, an inevitable source in almost every Vampire franchise ever conceived of.

It was refreshing to have the "Elder" ruling-class/vampire-nation-lord/shadow-council thing dropped, since they were in both Blade and Blade II, and in both movies they were completely killed off, and ignored the existence of each other. Instead we have a group of happy-go-lucky vamps, who have on way or another made a mark in the world. You never find out how they managed to buy a skyscraper and a museum's worth of ancient art, but I'd imagine they had quite a lot of time to get their finances in order.

Anyway, deal is these vamps, right? Uh, Danica Talos (Posey "Queen of the Indies" Parker; Scream 3, A Mighty Wind, THe House of Yes, Personal Velocity, Fay Grim), her brother Asher Talos (Callum Keith Rennie; Case 39, The X-Files: I Want To Believe, Normal, Falling Angels), Jarko Grimwood (wrestler Paul "Triple H" Levesque), and their offsider vampires go to Syria in order to dig up the slumbering Dracula (Dominic Purcell; Straw Dogs, Blood Creek, Equilibrium)... Or Drake (above right)... Or Dagon (above left)... They keep changing their mind. Anyway, after Dracula kills a bunch of them, he eventually agrees to join the team after he hears about the defender of humanity Blade (Wesley Snipes; New Jack City, Brooklyn's Finest, Chaos) whom he believes may be a worthy adversary. Blade in turn gets together with the vampire hunting cell called "Nightstalkers", led by Abigail Whistler (Jessica Biel; the The Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake, Cellular and The Illusionist) and Hannibal King (Ryan Reynolds; Van Wilder, the The Amityville Horror remake, Waiting..., Smokin' Aces, The X-Files, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Buried) and together they continue the war for humankind.

With me so far? No? Well then, you're an idiot, read it again! While I'm on that, it's worth pointing out that where Blade's saving grace was this awesome mythos and story, and totally failed at character-ing, Blade: Trinity had fantastically written characters, in a sort of non-event storyline. Where Blade II blended them, making it the best in the series. Trinity was okay, but it lacked a lot of the engaging-ness from the previous 2.

I think in part this is because the film is meant to sort of cater to the cinema audience. After the success of II, it's like they knew that people were going to go to the theatre for Trinity so they tailored the film accordingly. You know, just little things, cheesy lines come across in a way more badass way on the big screen. Montages can get tedious on the computer, but can often blow you away in theatres. Explosions and action and CG backflips always translate better in cinema than on DVD. Unfortunately, I own the DVD, not a cinema. Maybe the goddamn vampire pomeranian they threw in would've seemed less ridiculous if I'd seen Trinity when it came out in theatres, but I doubt it.

I'd like to bring up the issue of names. Not that people have crazy name in these films, it's fuckin' Super Hero, of course they've got stupid names! I love it! But the Blade series seems to be populated entirely by characters with the "Saying Names" fetish. It's all "Hannibal King! Die", "Blade! There you are", "Whistler! Come save us." "Drake! It's him" and gets pretty unbelievably dramatic rather swiftly. Also, at one stage Hannibal King tells Danica Talos that her hair is ridiculous. And it really, really is. I mean, I'm a "goth", crazy hair's my favourite, hers just looks silly. Lastly, they make the same mistake I bitched about in my Blade II review again, but it's worse, maybe they're planning on leaving space for a sequel? I don't know, if you've seen the trilogy you'll know what I mean.

It'll be interesting to see how Ryan Reynolds fairs. This Marvel film came out quite a while ago, since then he's played Wade Wilson in Origins: Wolverine, is about to play the eponymous Green Lantern for DC Films, he's set to return to the X-Men universe for Origins: Deadpool and hit Darkhorse (the guys behind the Buffy, Angel, Serenity and Hellboy comics as well as heaps of others) to play the protagonist in the upcoming R.I.P.D. I suppose if Chris Evans can get away with playing The Human Torch in Fantastic 4 and Rise of the Silver Surfer then move on to playing Captain America in The First Avenger I don't see why Reynolds can't pull it off. Hannibal was great, Ryan Reynolds is great but I'd be fine to see this be the end of it all here.

61%

-Gimly
April 12, 2015
Oh dear.

I suppose it was bound to happen eventually: after defeating the 'Blood God' in the first (and to my mind, best - even if the said 'Blood God' turned out to be a bit wimpy) film, and the Luke Goss led 'Reapers' in the second film, it appears that they ran out of ideas for Blade to face-off against until somebody had a not-so-bright idea: "I know, that's bring back Dracula!". Why, oh why, does Dracula have to make an appearance in just about any vampire series?

Anyway: this introduces the NightStalkers to the story, partly led by Whistler's illegitimate daughter. It does have a promising start as Blade is set up by the vampires and then captured by the authorities, but that whole plot-strand then seems to fall by the way-side in favour of some ridiculously over-edited action scenes as Blade takes a back-seat to the Nightstalkers before he faces off against the vampires progenitor ...