Blazing Saddles - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Blazing Saddles Reviews

September 23, 2017
In hindsight, this was an effective blow to racism in America. In it humor is dealt at prejudices with the lethality of a club with a nail driven through it; disarming even the most reactionary of us all.
September 19, 2017
And there is a nigger sheriff. 80/100
August 28, 2017
So good it never should (or could) be remade.
½ August 6, 2017
Mel brooks character is terrible, only a few minor funny parts, I give up on these, stupid
July 23, 2017
Mel Brooks' goofy humour never appealed to me and this film is no exception, although it's considered one of his finest.
½ July 12, 2017
It's absolutely fearless in its attempts to satire race and the western genre. It's an undoubtedly funny Mel Brooks classic.
½ July 10, 2017
The first thing I wondered was how the hell people allowed this movie to be made. And then I chuckled at the intelligent mix of political sarcasm, teasing-but-reflective racial commentary and quality comedy.
½ June 2, 2017
Priceless. That's all I got to say. We open with a nice Western ballad, followed by the craziest Western film ever made. Basically, Attorney General Hedley Lamarr (Harvey Korman) wants to destroy a small town named Rock Ridge. To get the town out of his way, he decides to appoint a black sheriff to said town because people would chase him out (it was 1874) because they'd be offended by him. So he sends Bart (Cleavon Little) a railroad worker he decided not to have hung in order to achieve this. Bart's rejected by the town as Lemarr and Governor Le Petomane (Mel Brooks) predicted, but after Bart meets the "Waco Kid," (Gene Wilder) they work together to get the townsfolk (aka, the Johnson family) to save the town in one of the most wild, wildly hilarious, high flying ist, rootin-tootin Westerns ever made, thanks to Mel Brooks' sense of humor, turning the genre on its head like he would with sci-fi in Spaceballs 13 years later, and of course, breaking the fourth wall, a part of which brings up my only problem I can't discuss without spoilers. Bart and "Waco Kid" prove to be a dynamic duo who clearly don't take anything seriously in this unserious world they create. Cleavon Little and Gene Wilder make for hilarious comedy that doesn't even have to play the race card (much). They do their bits and become best friends in a semi-believable manner in this fast paced comedy that doesn't need to be perfectly coherent. The soundtrack also sets the hilarious mood with John Morris' zippy tunes that stay true to the Western genre. The humor was highly controversial in theory, but hilarious in practice. Don't try these words at home or out in the streets, or anywhere except if you're watching this movie and are saying it in anticipation of hearing the line. If you take out the offensive stuff, you won't have a movie, this stuff is comedy gold. It's meant to be offensive, it's to make fun of how brutal the Wild West really was, and how it was glorified in Westerns of old. So heads up: there are a lot of slurs and a few swears here and there, so you probably didn't come across this channel surfing, or if you did, then the point was lost. Anyway, Blazing Saddles, hilarious comedy, check it out, now if you'll excuse me, I got a review to read within this review.
May 30, 2017
This is the movie I hold up as an example when people whine that thinly-veiled racism badly disguised as "comedy" shouldn't be called out for what it is. Mel Brooks is a master of comedy, and a master at understanding the "never punch down" rule. The perfect example is found in the opening scenes of the movie, and while I won't spoil it, it's easy to spot: it features a Cole Porter song. And it happens over and over again. In this comedy it's the racists who are reduced to stereotypical caricatures of themselves, with the subjects of their hatred running rings around them in intelligence, charm and charisma. And all along, the movie is consistently hilarious and endlessly rewatchable.
May 17, 2017
Hands down possibly the greatest film ever made. A large claim? Yes! No matter how dark my days have become, this movie turns my night into day and for that, I owe most of my life to this movie. It's for sure a cult classic, but for those lucky enough to enjoy it, you are truly lucky beyond most modern belief.
½ May 15, 2017
Funny western spoof!!
½ May 6, 2017
One of the most overrated and trashy movies of all time. Surprising so many Americans find this a good movie. Or sadly, maybe not.
April 30, 2017
Humour has changed with time. This movie is no longer funny. Watched on American Airlines flight to Vancouver
½ April 29, 2017
2017.04.29: Had to throw on cuz I've heard three raves in the last 4 days. I find it likely I will feel the humor is dated...
½ April 22, 2017
Airplane! humor is always fun.
April 17, 2017
Funny and progressive for its time! :)
April 15, 2017
Fun, silly, relaxing movie
April 8, 2017
This is a classic comedy. I forgot how much racial matter was in it though. It caught me off guard at first, but ended up being a really smart movie. This is possibly my favorite Mel Brooks movie.
April 6, 2017
Blazing Saddles remains by far one of the funniest satire films of all time.
½ April 4, 2017
An hour of jokes about black people, wacky Indians, mocking the mentally disabled and making a joke out of Hitler, and by process, spitting on the memory of the millions of deported Jews. Just a series of racist jokes, Mel Brooks should be ashamed of his actions.
The "acting" makes me want to vomit my supper. So inherently unfunny you'll laugh just for not laughing.