Blazing Saddles - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Blazing Saddles Reviews

½ June 2, 2017
Priceless. That's all I got to say. We open with a nice Western ballad, followed by the craziest Western film ever made. Basically, Attorney General Hedley Lamarr (Harvey Korman) wants to destroy a small town named Rock Ridge. To get the town out of his way, he decides to appoint a black sheriff to said town because people would chase him out (it was 1874) because they'd be offended by him. So he sends Bart (Cleavon Little) a railroad worker he decided not to have hung in order to achieve this. Bart's rejected by the town as Lemarr and Governor Le Petomane (Mel Brooks) predicted, but after Bart meets the "Waco Kid," (Gene Wilder) they work together to get the townsfolk (aka, the Johnson family) to save the town in one of the most wild, wildly hilarious, high flying ist, rootin-tootin Westerns ever made, thanks to Mel Brooks' sense of humor, turning the genre on its head like he would with sci-fi in Spaceballs 13 years later, and of course, breaking the fourth wall, a part of which brings up my only problem I can't discuss without spoilers. Bart and "Waco Kid" prove to be a dynamic duo who clearly don't take anything seriously in this unserious world they create. Cleavon Little and Gene Wilder make for hilarious comedy that doesn't even have to play the race card (much). They do their bits and become best friends in a semi-believable manner in this fast paced comedy that doesn't need to be perfectly coherent. The soundtrack also sets the hilarious mood with John Morris' zippy tunes that stay true to the Western genre. The humor was highly controversial in theory, but hilarious in practice. Don't try these words at home or out in the streets, or anywhere except if you're watching this movie and are saying it in anticipation of hearing the line. If you take out the offensive stuff, you won't have a movie, this stuff is comedy gold. It's meant to be offensive, it's to make fun of how brutal the Wild West really was, and how it was glorified in Westerns of old. So heads up: there are a lot of slurs and a few swears here and there, so you probably didn't come across this channel surfing, or if you did, then the point was lost. Anyway, Blazing Saddles, hilarious comedy, check it out, now if you'll excuse me, I got a review to read within this review.
May 30, 2017
This is the movie I hold up as an example when people whine that thinly-veiled racism badly disguised as "comedy" shouldn't be called out for what it is. Mel Brooks is a master of comedy, and a master at understanding the "never punch down" rule. The perfect example is found in the opening scenes of the movie, and while I won't spoil it, it's easy to spot: it features a Cole Porter song. And it happens over and over again. In this comedy it's the racists who are reduced to stereotypical caricatures of themselves, with the subjects of their hatred running rings around them in intelligence, charm and charisma. And all along, the movie is consistently hilarious and endlessly rewatchable.
May 17, 2017
Hands down possibly the greatest film ever made. A large claim? Yes! No matter how dark my days have become, this movie turns my night into day and for that, I owe most of my life to this movie. It's for sure a cult classic, but for those lucky enough to enjoy it, you are truly lucky beyond most modern belief.
½ May 15, 2017
Funny western spoof!!
½ May 6, 2017
One of the most overrated and trashy movies of all time. Surprising so many Americans find this a good movie. Or sadly, maybe not.
April 30, 2017
Humour has changed with time. This movie is no longer funny. Watched on American Airlines flight to Vancouver
½ April 29, 2017
2017.04.29: Had to throw on cuz I've heard three raves in the last 4 days. I find it likely I will feel the humor is dated...
½ April 22, 2017
Airplane! humor is always fun.
April 17, 2017
Funny and progressive for its time! :)
April 15, 2017
Fun, silly, relaxing movie
April 8, 2017
This is a classic comedy. I forgot how much racial matter was in it though. It caught me off guard at first, but ended up being a really smart movie. This is possibly my favorite Mel Brooks movie.
April 6, 2017
Blazing Saddles remains by far one of the funniest satire films of all time.
½ April 4, 2017
An hour of jokes about black people, wacky Indians, mocking the mentally disabled and making a joke out of Hitler, and by process, spitting on the memory of the millions of deported Jews. Just a series of racist jokes, Mel Brooks should be ashamed of his actions.
The "acting" makes me want to vomit my supper. So inherently unfunny you'll laugh just for not laughing.
March 26, 2017
Sure, Blazing Saddles is one of Mel Brooks' less politically correct movies, but he does an impressive job in replicating the classic Western aesthetic (no inside-reference-turned-pun intended) for an essential twist: What if our hero were black? That forward thinking quickly trumps accusations of a racist agenda, not to mention that this is a spoof movie. Oddly enough, the film's greatest weaknesses are found in the jokes and the acting. When the movie hits, it's with flying colours. For example, *SPOILERS(?)* when the roughest thugs in the Wild West invade a movie studio of relatively scrawny, effeminate male dancers, an all-out brawl turns into a place of reconciliation. It's endearing, and quite funny. Mel Brooks clearly loves Looney Tunes, even using the closing credits theme after one gag. I might argue that this movie is equally an ode to Looney Tunes as it is to classic Westerns, with the edge of addressing contemporary racism (in a tongue in cheek fashion, to clarify).

However, Looney Tunes had its flaws. Mel Brooks seems to try to replicate those flaws as well. The cabaret number from Lili Von Shtupp (Madeline Kahn), about how tired she is, is, ahem, tiresome. Actual cabaret is much funnier. Even more confusing is the scene that follows, when she tries to seduce Sheriff Bart (Cleavon Little) for the evil plot of Helen Lamar (Harvey Korman, and that's HEDLEY). I have no idea when her intentions changed from seducing evilly to genuinely, but when we next see her, we are to assume she is on the side of Bart. Gene Wilder, Mel Brooks, and Harvey Korman are all pretty funny, as their lines were practically written for them. Cleavon Little, however, is unfairly disadvantaged by not being Richard Pryor, incidentally one of the screenwriters for Blazing Saddles. Little does his best, and strikes gold when he can bring the stage to the screen, particularly in cartoonish moments like holding himself hostage so others withdraw guns from his face. Still, certain lines of his feel heavily indebted to the unique delivery of Pryor. Additionally, the sex and fart jokes have not aged very well. Hanging a horse rider AND his horse, on the other hand? Awesome. Segregation of carriage circles, when being raided by Native Americans? Splendid. I would watch Blazing Saddles again, though I am not blameless, if I would ever prefer to watch isolated clips from the movie.
March 18, 2017
Blazing Saddles is constantly Irreverent, politically incorrect to a fanatical degree; and disarmingly hilarious. Though the film may not be the best Mel Brooks spoof film, it is worth the watch.
½ March 17, 2017
Mel Brooks' 'Blazing Saddles' wasn't quite as funny as i remembered from days gone by, but it will still catch you with a few gutbusters, while providing ground breaking comedic set pieces.
½ March 11, 2017
A lot of the jokes and set pieces remain sharp and occasionally shocking, especially the racially charged premise. The ending manages to feel both innovate and disappointing. As a whole it doesn't quite stand up to Brooks' greater works (The Producers and Young Frankenstein among them).
½ March 10, 2017
Blazing Saddles is a wonderful spoof on Westerns and a satire to Hollywood in general. Mel Brooks doesn't pull any punches and has a number of memorable gags. Some last too long, but just barely detract from the film's overall quality.
March 8, 2017
Will never forget the first time seeing this and the campfire scene played...still brings tears to my eyes...
February 20, 2017
Blazing Saddles is directed and co-written by Mel Brooks, and it stars Cleavon Little, Gene Wilder, Harvey Korman, Madeline Kahn, and Mel Brooks in a western satire about people not appreciating that the new sheriff is black, and there are danger lurking around the city that the citizens need him now then ever. Now after seeing Spaceballs, I figured I should watch Blazing Saddles in my DirecTV list since it's the only Mel Brooks film that I have in there. So with that said, Blazing Saddles is much better than Spaceballs. The acting is just as good as Spaceballs, especially the chemistry between Cleavon Little and Gene Wilder which brings out some interesting story and great jokes. The jokes never seem to be in a hateful way, especially the racism jokes as they got me smiling, but it wasn't in a positive aspect from those jokes as it's still a touchy subject. Characters are memorable, and the plot is interesting in the way it plays itself so outrageous, but still manages to be original enough that plays the traditional aspects of western movies while also putting in refreshing aspects that make this film stand out. Blazing Saddles is a hilarious film that it's interesting to also see the history of how it was almost not in theaters, and if that happened, then the viewers wouldn't be able to see this classic.