Blazing Saddles - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Blazing Saddles Reviews

April 30, 2017
Humour has changed with time. This movie is no longer funny. Watched on American Airlines flight to Vancouver
½ April 29, 2017
2017.04.29: Had to throw on cuz I've heard three raves in the last 4 days. I find it likely I will feel the humor is dated...
½ April 22, 2017
Airplane! humor is always fun.
April 17, 2017
Funny and progressive for its time! :)
April 15, 2017
Fun, silly, relaxing movie
April 8, 2017
This is a classic comedy. I forgot how much racial matter was in it though. It caught me off guard at first, but ended up being a really smart movie. This is possibly my favorite Mel Brooks movie.
April 6, 2017
Blazing Saddles remains by far one of the funniest satire films of all time.
½ April 4, 2017
An hour of jokes about black people, wacky Indians, mocking the mentally disabled and making a joke out of Hitler, and by process, spitting on the memory of the millions of deported Jews. Just a series of racist jokes, Mel Brooks should be ashamed of his actions.
The "acting" makes me want to vomit my supper. So inherently unfunny you'll laugh just for not laughing.
March 26, 2017
Sure, Blazing Saddles is one of Mel Brooks' less politically correct movies, but he does an impressive job in replicating the classic Western aesthetic (no inside-reference-turned-pun intended) for an essential twist: What if our hero were black? That forward thinking quickly trumps accusations of a racist agenda, not to mention that this is a spoof movie. Oddly enough, the film's greatest weaknesses are found in the jokes and the acting. When the movie hits, it's with flying colours. For example, *SPOILERS(?)* when the roughest thugs in the Wild West invade a movie studio of relatively scrawny, effeminate male dancers, an all-out brawl turns into a place of reconciliation. It's endearing, and quite funny. Mel Brooks clearly loves Looney Tunes, even using the closing credits theme after one gag. I might argue that this movie is equally an ode to Looney Tunes as it is to classic Westerns, with the edge of addressing contemporary racism (in a tongue in cheek fashion, to clarify).

However, Looney Tunes had its flaws. Mel Brooks seems to try to replicate those flaws as well. The cabaret number from Lili Von Shtupp (Madeline Kahn), about how tired she is, is, ahem, tiresome. Actual cabaret is much funnier. Even more confusing is the scene that follows, when she tries to seduce Sheriff Bart (Cleavon Little) for the evil plot of Helen Lamar (Harvey Korman, and that's HEDLEY). I have no idea when her intentions changed from seducing evilly to genuinely, but when we next see her, we are to assume she is on the side of Bart. Gene Wilder, Mel Brooks, and Harvey Korman are all pretty funny, as their lines were practically written for them. Cleavon Little, however, is unfairly disadvantaged by not being Richard Pryor, incidentally one of the screenwriters for Blazing Saddles. Little does his best, and strikes gold when he can bring the stage to the screen, particularly in cartoonish moments like holding himself hostage so others withdraw guns from his face. Still, certain lines of his feel heavily indebted to the unique delivery of Pryor. Additionally, the sex and fart jokes have not aged very well. Hanging a horse rider AND his horse, on the other hand? Awesome. Segregation of carriage circles, when being raided by Native Americans? Splendid. I would watch Blazing Saddles again, though I am not blameless, if I would ever prefer to watch isolated clips from the movie.
March 18, 2017
Blazing Saddles is constantly Irreverent, politically incorrect to a fanatical degree; and disarmingly hilarious. Though the film may not be the best Mel Brooks spoof film, it is worth the watch.
½ March 17, 2017
Mel Brooks' 'Blazing Saddles' wasn't quite as funny as i remembered from days gone by, but it will still catch you with a few gutbusters, while providing ground breaking comedic set pieces.
½ March 11, 2017
A lot of the jokes and set pieces remain sharp and occasionally shocking, especially the racially charged premise. The ending manages to feel both innovate and disappointing. As a whole it doesn't quite stand up to Brooks' greater works (The Producers and Young Frankenstein among them).
½ March 10, 2017
Blazing Saddles is a wonderful spoof on Westerns and a satire to Hollywood in general. Mel Brooks doesn't pull any punches and has a number of memorable gags. Some last too long, but just barely detract from the film's overall quality.
March 8, 2017
Will never forget the first time seeing this and the campfire scene played...still brings tears to my eyes...
February 20, 2017
Blazing Saddles is directed and co-written by Mel Brooks, and it stars Cleavon Little, Gene Wilder, Harvey Korman, Madeline Kahn, and Mel Brooks in a western satire about people not appreciating that the new sheriff is black, and there are danger lurking around the city that the citizens need him now then ever. Now after seeing Spaceballs, I figured I should watch Blazing Saddles in my DirecTV list since it's the only Mel Brooks film that I have in there. So with that said, Blazing Saddles is much better than Spaceballs. The acting is just as good as Spaceballs, especially the chemistry between Cleavon Little and Gene Wilder which brings out some interesting story and great jokes. The jokes never seem to be in a hateful way, especially the racism jokes as they got me smiling, but it wasn't in a positive aspect from those jokes as it's still a touchy subject. Characters are memorable, and the plot is interesting in the way it plays itself so outrageous, but still manages to be original enough that plays the traditional aspects of western movies while also putting in refreshing aspects that make this film stand out. Blazing Saddles is a hilarious film that it's interesting to also see the history of how it was almost not in theaters, and if that happened, then the viewers wouldn't be able to see this classic.
February 14, 2017
A comedy classic. Mel Brooks' best film.
February 3, 2017
this is one of my top 5 comedy movies of ALL time along with Spaceballs and Monty Python's Holy Grail. Also, Harvey Korman my be one of the most under-rated actors of all time. I can watch this at any time <3
January 21, 2017
The best comedy of all time.
½ January 21, 2017
One of my top 10 movies of all time. So many quotable jokes, great visual gags, and I forgot how funny the songs and dances are. I feel like an idiot laughing so much, when Sam really doesn't think it's funny. I remember the first time I watched this movie, my brother and I and some of his friends rented a few movies on VHS for a weekend movie night, and this was one, along with Monty Python's the Holy Grail. I laughed so hard at both those movies, what a weekend.
I'm glad this film has become such the classic that it is, as there aren't many western-comedies (at least not good ones), and it's impressive how well this holds up 40 years later.
Watched on DVD at home, with a very hungover Sam (it was her birthday party last night!), January 21, 2017.
½ January 15, 2017
A true classic and staple of spoof movies, Mel Brooks creates an affectionate parodic tribute to Westerns of the 50s and 60s. While I do have the admit that the ending becomes a bit too nonsensical and wacky for my personal tastes, there are still so many hilarious moments and unforgettable characters to ignore here. Cleavon Little, Gene Wilder, Madeline Kahn, Harvey Korman, Dom Deluise: RIP. Such a talented group of actors all utilized perfectly in this film. See it!