Bleed For This - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bleed For This Reviews

August 16, 2017
I absolutely loved this a lot! It's a great movie. It's a must see
August 9, 2017
The comeback kid ? The extraordinary story of Vinny "The Pazmanian Devil" Pazienza (Miles Teller) shortly after winning two boxing titles vinny faced a near death experience during a head on car accident leaving him with a broken neck and in a halo. A year later vinny makes one of the greatest comebacks in sports history. A must watch for boxing fans..
July 23, 2017
Another boxing classic acted superbly by Miles Teller. He is underrated but the film, which should have given an Oscar nod to Aaron Eckhart for best supporting actor, was an instant hit and went unrecognized by the public. The story alone is an incredible triumph.
July 22, 2017
Dream.... Will.....Action...... BLEED FOR THIS
July 10, 2017
Although predictable, it's a beautifully executed fight flick...
July 5, 2017
A decently performed and executed come-from-behind boxing movie that gets you to keep watching despite your knowledge of having seen it all before.
July 1, 2017
Bleed For This doesn't stand out among other more successful boxing dramas despite its talented cast and well-written script. The story I'm afraid, is just not that memorable as I've never even heard of Vin Paz before watching the film.
June 30, 2017
The story of Vinny Pazienza is an amazing comeback story and is worth a feature film. But is a Standard Boxing movie. Aaron Eckhart is pretty good and gave up half his hair for this movie. Miles Teller is a good actor, but has such "Douche" feel to almost all of his characters he plays. You almost feel that he is like this in real life. He is always so smug.
½ June 18, 2017
After a long line of failures, a boxing movie is finally worthy to be mentioned in the same sentence as Rocky!
June 16, 2017
"Bleed for This may have the usual boxing movie tropes but it packs a real knockout performance from Miles Teller."
DVD Movie Review: Bleed for This
Date Viewed: March 28 2017
Directed By Ben Younger (Boiler Room and Prime)
Screenplay By Ben Younger, Story By Pippa Bianco, Ben Younger and Angelo Pizzo
Starring: Miles Teller, Aaron Eckhart, Katey Sagal, Ciaran Hinds, Amanda Clayton, Sully Erna, Daniel Sauli, Tina Casciani, Joe Jafo Carriere, Edwin Rodríguez and Ted Levine.

"Bleed for This" may have the usual boxing movie tropes but it packs a real knockout performance from Miles Teller. He has really grown up since his charismatic and funny supporting turn in the 2011 "Footloose" remake. Teller has had his share of great leading performances in "The Spectacular Now" and "Whiplash" and he's also had his share of bad performances ("Fantastic Four" and "War Dogs") but nevertheless, he's still one of our finest young actors working today.

Directed by Ben Younger (Boiler Room and Prime), "Bleed for This" does what a normal, based-on-a-true-story boxing drama should do, have some real emotional moments, have our character deal with personal health struggles, have our boxing hero make his big comeback and have a nice feel-good ending.
The acting is pretty much what this movie is going for and the fine performances from Teller, Aaron Eckhart, Katey Sagal and Ciaran Hinds are enough to make "Bleed for This" a solid boxing drama.

Teller plays Vinny "The Pazmanian Devil" Pazienza, a local boxer from Providence who punched his way into boxing history by winning 2 world title fights. After winning the junior middleweight world title, Vinny got involved in a near-fatal car crash which left him in critical condition. Not only does Vinny end up with a broken neck and severed spine, his doctors inform that he may never walk again which would force him to quit the sport he loves dearly.

Vinny is indeed crushed by the news but he's not willing to give up. Now forced to wear a circular metal brace, Vinny really believes that he can get back in the ring so he starts his training in his own basement by doing workouts. Vinny miraculously starts to walk again and he wants his coach Kevin Rooney (Eckhart) to keep his boxing training a secret from his family especially his father (Hinds) and mother (Sagal) who doesn't like seeing her son get hurt in the ring.

Six months after the accident, Vinny finally gets his comeback fighting match. He will be going up against Roberto "Hands of Stone" Durán (Edwin Rodríguez). Vinny Pazienza's return to the ring was marked as one of the most unlikely and out-of-nowhere comebacks in sports history and sure his story was touching and inspiring but don't you think he deserves a better movie with more emotional heft?

The screenplay by director Younger, Pippa Bianco and Angelo Pizzo (Hoosiers and Rudy) could've added more substance and insight but nevertheless, "Bleed for This" is another well-acted boxing drama with a sheer and distinguishing performance from Miles Teller. Teller studied this character really well, he gets the thick Providence accent right, he gets Vinny's fighting skills right and he even has Vinny's goofball charm. Aaron Eckhart is also really good here as Vinny's coach and friend who sticks by him in his comeback return to the ring.

Despite it being predictable and corny at times, "Bleed for This" works as a modestly entertaining sports film.
June 9, 2017
average but still good,sticking to the facts when other movies based on true stories are not doing it.
May 26, 2017
Born again to reach the sky.

I definitely did not expect it. It's a biographical-sport-drama, that tells an inspiring story of a talented young American boxer who faced the biggest setback in his career after met with a car crash. The remaining parts focused on how he struggles to come back, while recovering from the serious injury.

The biggest advantage was the cast. I particularly liked Miles Teller in the lead role. His recent rise in the Hollywood was phenomenal and this one is his another must watch film. Even the supporting cast and roles were awesome. If you are a boxing/sports film fan, you will love it. But there is sufficient drama in the tale to build an impressive storyline.

Feels like it is under-appreciated, and being a Hollywood film, the recognition was too poor. In the coming days, years, it will reach the largest audience coverage. From this film, the director is the one who gained big. Surely he should make use of its success to his next films. Because I'll be expecting much better and bigger than this. This film is one of the best of the years, so don't miss it.

8/10
May 25, 2017
While it doesn't carve any new territory within the boxing movie genre, Bleed For This does tell another solid underdog, come-back tale. The characters feel a bit like caricatures at times, and I had to remind myself this wasn't a David O. Russell film, because the over-the-top wardrobe, hair and makeup reminded me of American Hustle and The Fighter.
½ May 13, 2017
Wow, so boring! I don't know what it was trying to achieve, but it certainly wasn't trying to entertain me.
May 5, 2017
Boxing movies usually feature the rags to riches rise of an underdog eg. Rocky Balboa.
Bleed For This is unique from films such as Rocky for two reasons.
1. It is a true story.
2. The main character Vinny Panzienza (played by Whiplash star Miles Teller) is a world champion having suffered a few setbacks, only to suffer a near fatal road accident followed by months wearing a halo neck brace device.
That would normally mean the end of a sportsmans career especially a boxer but no. Panzienza defies the odds to return to the ring triumphantly.
Director Ben Younger has triumphed in bringing this true story to the big screen.
½ April 27, 2017
Not bad but nothing I haven't seen before.
April 22, 2017
Actually really liked this movie!
½ April 22, 2017
Found it very boring.
April 18, 2017
My only concern is all the boxing movies that came out in 2016 lacked heart, this movie was much better then Hands of Stone, no debate. The cast is great but the kickoff doesn't setup the rest of the movies plot, you don't really care for the rehabilitation or return to the ring. The boxing scenes are well handled and the screw removal scene is near unwatchable. There is a lot of good in this film but fails to be great. The direction just isn't at the form of the actors and it's a shame, this could've been one of the better boxing movies based on the true story itself. The film just fails to deliver a strong character driven film, which it does attempt.
April 16, 2017
Wasn't sure at first, but after the first ten minutes I was hooked until the very last minute.

Real film clips in the trailers add a nice touch and remind you this was based on a true story.

I would watch it again.