Bleed For This - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bleed For This Reviews

½ April 27, 2017
Not bad but nothing I haven't seen before.
April 22, 2017
Actually really liked this movie!
½ April 22, 2017
Found it very boring.
April 18, 2017
My only concern is all the boxing movies that came out in 2016 lacked heart, this movie was much better then Hands of Stone, no debate. The cast is great but the kickoff doesn't setup the rest of the movies plot, you don't really care for the rehabilitation or return to the ring. The boxing scenes are well handled and the screw removal scene is near unwatchable. There is a lot of good in this film but fails to be great. The direction just isn't at the form of the actors and it's a shame, this could've been one of the better boxing movies based on the true story itself. The film just fails to deliver a strong character driven film, which it does attempt.
April 16, 2017
Wasn't sure at first, but after the first ten minutes I was hooked until the very last minute.

Real film clips in the trailers add a nice touch and remind you this was based on a true story.

I would watch it again.
½ April 14, 2017
Teller was exceptionally annoying in this role, but his triumph was very rewarding.
½ April 13, 2017
Amazing what an accomplishment.
½ April 8, 2017
After a long line of failures a boxing movie is finally worthy to be mentioned in the same sentence as Rocky!
April 4, 2017
While it's formulaic and can be cliché, it's still a solid boxing movie. It's quite the recovery story, and Teller does a great job playing this very charming dude.
April 3, 2017
I thought this movie was fine. Not outstanding. Very blah. It's definitely an interesting story and the fact that it's real and this guy really went through this and came back like he did is incredible. Other than that, I wasn't completely wowed and I generally like sports movies. I don't regret seeing it, but if I hadn't seen it, I don't think I'd be missing much. I like Miles Teller and think he did a good job, but overall, just an OK movie.
½ April 3, 2017
Bleed for This showcases an amazing true story and along with some strong performances, delivers some emotional punches, but the movie as a whole is rather formulaic and not as riveting as it could be.
April 1, 2017
Pretty good, inspirational story. Teller' s best performance to date!!! Eckhart was great as well.
April 1, 2017
My opinion-.

K.O-Bleed for this - is nevertheless a beautiful achievement of Ben
Younger and it knew to realize a beautiful reconstruction on the life
of a great champion of boxing that was: Vinny Pazienza, very well
interpreted by Miles Teller. It is never obvious to make movies about
the lives of such champions, especially in boxing, but I must say that
he did very well and we see a very good biopic on this great champion
at The iron will, which deserved a hundred times a movie about his
life, thanks to his courage and also to his entourage, for he was
always supported in his moments of weakness and doubt. So in conclusion
the movie makes the life of this great champion of world boxing well.
March 29, 2017
"Bleed for This may have the usual boxing movie tropes but it packs a real knockout performance from Miles Teller."
DVD Movie Review: Bleed for This
Date Viewed: March 28 2017
Directed By Ben Younger (Boiler Room and Prime)
Screenplay By Ben Younger, Story By Pippa Bianco, Ben Younger and Angelo Pizzo
Starring: Miles Teller, Aaron Eckhart, Katey Sagal, Amanda Clayton, Ciaran Hinds, Sully Erna, Daniel Sauli, Tina Casciani, Joe Jafo Carriere, Edwin Rodríguez and Ted Levine.

"Bleed for This" may have the usual boxing movie tropes but it packs a real knockout performance from Miles Teller. He has really grown up since his charismatic and funny supporting turn in the 2011 "Footloose" remake. Teller has had his share of great leading performances in "The Spectacular Now" and "Whiplash" and he's also had his share of bad performances ("Fantastic Four" and "War Dogs") but nevertheless, he's still one of our finest young actors working today.

Directed by Ben Younger (Boiler Room and Prime), "Bleed for This" does what a normal, based-on-a-true-story boxing drama should do, have some real emotional moments, have our character deal with personal health struggles, have our boxing hero make his big comeback and have a nice feel-good ending.
The acting is pretty much what this movie is going for and the fine performances from Teller, Aaron Eckhart, Katey Sagal and Ciaran Hinds are enough to make "Bleed for This" a solid boxing drama.

Teller plays Vinny "The Pazmanian Devil" Pazienza, a local boxer from Providence who punched his way into boxing history by winning 2 world title fights. After winning the junior middleweight world title, Vinny got involved in a near-fatal car crash which left him critical condition. Not only does Vinny end up with a broken neck and severed spine, his doctors inform that he may never walk again which would force him to quit the sport he loves dearly.

Vinny is indeed crushed by the news but he's not willing to give up. Now forced to wear a circular metal brace, Vinny really believes that he can get back in the ring so he starts his training in his own basement by doing workouts. Vinny miraculously starts to walk again and he wants his coach Kevin Rooney (Eckhart) to keep his boxing training a secret from his family especially his father (Hinds) and mother (Sagal) who doesn't like seeing his son get hurt in the ring.

Six months after the accident, Vinny finally gets his comeback fighting match. He will be going up against Roberto "Hands of Stone" Durán (Edwin Rodríguez). Vinny Pazienza's return to the ring was marked as one of the most unlikely and out-of-nowhere comebacks in sports history and sure his story was touching and inspiring but don't you think he deserves a better movie with more emotional heft?

The screenplay by director Younger, Pippa Bianco and Angelo Pizzo (Hoosiers and Rudy) could've added more substance and insight but nevertheless, "Bleed for This" is another well-acted boxing drama with a sheer and distinguishing performance from Miles Teller. Teller studied this character really well, he gets the thick Providence accent right, he gets Vinny's fighting skills right and he even has Vinny's goofball charm. Aaron Eckhart is also really good here as Vinny's coach and friend who sticks by him in his comeback return to the ring.

Despite it being predictable and corny at times, "Bleed for This" works as a modestly entertaining sports film.
½ March 27, 2017
I hate when movies are made just to win oscars, and this is a perfect example.
March 26, 2017
Very good... told his story well.
March 26, 2017
solid movie i knew damn Miles Teller was going to be good when I first saw him.
½ March 25, 2017
3/25/17 Netflix DVD
An entertaining movie based on real life events. As a boxing fan I remember the story well and even watched the Duran fight. Enjoyed Miles Teller in Whiplash and he plays a similar character in this movie, a driven man who will risk everything for his goals and his profession.
½ March 20, 2017
Gritty and impactful, Miles Teller gives a performance of sheer confidence and strength in Bleed For This, a triumphant tale of what is probably the biggest comeback in sports history.
March 20, 2017
"Bleed for This" is formulaic and a little bit slow, but im some scenes, but inside the box movies genre, is a good movie. You can enjoy Miles Teller performance and all the training montages and battle sequences.