Blood Ties - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

20 mins and nothing has happened, binned... Shame it was a good cast list too
February 23, 2017
.......................
February 4, 2017
Left Me Thinking About Things For A Long Time..The Choices We Make, Pathways It Inevitably Leads To..I a Really Liked It. The 1970s Style & Old-Style Gangsta-Noir Was Really Good Too. Give It A Chance & You Will Find It An Enjoyable Story That Does Get You Thinking About Choices We All Make.
½ November 24, 2016
It is a world of men, and so all female characters are one-dimensional and revolve around them, while Billy Crudup delivers the only nuanced performance in a weak movie filled with too many characters that are mostly underdeveloped and make it lose focus like a soap-opera.
½ August 6, 2016
This was a very well done movie with some stellar acting from Billy Crudup and Clive Owen. It also sported a Hell of a supporting cast.
July 28, 2016
I was surprised to see this movie which such an all star cast do so poorly on this site, and when I watched it I wasn't totally in agreement. Didn't find anyone to preform particularly well throughout the film, Billy Crudup probably performing the best overall. However I'm a fan of Clive Owen and didn't find anything special here, apart from a few well done scenes. He mostly plays his part with little emotion showing, apart from maybe depression or agree, until he's in tears after his fathers death. Otherwise he has the same somewhat blank face though out. The other actors all do ok jobs, nothing special again, which is backed by an ok script. The cinematography is good for the most part, and feels like a decent movie should feel, however action scenes are hit and miss with gunshots and bullet impacts looking relatively bad, done through what looks like CGI, but good CGI at that. The story isn't totally new either, but it plays out fairly well, and although some of the other categories are lacking,c as a whole the story and plot are good, and feels real and well done. The ending is good, with the brother on the wrong side of the law putting himself behind bars to save his brothers life from a vengeful gunman. Overall it has some perks, but these are not really evened out in the end, and only turns out an average cops and trying to turn his life around bad guy film.
½ July 19, 2016
There's really not enough of anything. Like the plot is lackluster, the acting deadpan, the cinematography probably something you've seen a million times.
½ April 15, 2016
If your a fan of Martin Scorsese or Sidney Lumet then this film is for you and its a shame that it failed to find a larger audience.
Clive Owen plays Chris a newly released criminal who wants to g o straight and put his life back together .
Billy Crudup is his younger brother Frank who happens to be a New York cop who has his own problems and needs Chris going back to crime like a hole in the head.
Pretty soon both brothers are on a collision course as Chris reverts to type and Frank is forced to choose between his job and his family.
If you can handle Owens wobbly accent there is plenty else on offer to sustain your interest.
It helps that the female leads are just as strong as the men with Mila Kunis Zoe Saldana and Mario Cotillard all giving great perfomances.
Its not perfect the plot does dull a little in places and some plot lines feel a little forced but I really enjoyed this film and its one I feel you should seek out if you love strong acting and drama
½ December 3, 2015
A pesar del excelente reparto y el exitoso emplazamiento setentero, la torpe dirección hace que no haya apenas interés en el lento e insustancial desarrollo de una no demasiado interesante historia. No se muy bien por qué esto es un proyecto francés.
½ August 28, 2015
A New York crime drama that follows the lives of 2 brothers, one who made his life something, the other a just released from prison convict. A large talented cast performed well, but this film in itself is just plain average. The ending saved it for me, I liked the way they finished it off.
June 6, 2015
a drama action filled movie around the 1970's. when 1 brother is a cop in love with a woman whos boyfriend is a drug dealer and when his other brother just got out of jail and decides to go his old ways again and start turning ex's into hookers, well there is a lot lot of drama , suspension and voilence.
May 5, 2015
You put a bullet into him.

A brother recently released from jail returns home to an established brother that feels like doing right by the law. The recently incarcerated brother returns to the mob life after failing at love and living a normal life. He runs a brothel that puts him and his family in danger.

"Your mother was a bitch."

Guillaume Canet, director of Tell No One, Little White Lies, and Whatever You Say, delivers Blood Ties. The storyline for this picture was just okay for about 75 percent of the movie but really concludes well as the characters evolutions blossom. The acting was better than I anticipated and the cast includes Clive Owen, Zoe Saldana, Mila Kunis, Billy Crudup, Marion Cotillard, and Lili Taylor.

"Stop judging me!"

Blood Ties was a movie I came across on Netflix and decided to give it a viewing when I saw it starred Zoe Saldana (I'm a fan). She wasn't in this much but the story of the brothers worked very well and I adored how the film ended. I recommend seeing this once as it may be worth a viewing.

"I'll be your wedding present."

Grade: C+
½ April 11, 2015
What a waste of talent.
½ April 4, 2015
Quite enjoyable, though some of the frames were terrible and the final image is just stupid.
March 30, 2015
Shot in a 1970s style, Blood Ties certainly has the right look. The film features a great cast, that made me desperately want to see it, but the problem is that it's a very common tale and it moves along at a snails pace. Even with a story that's been done over and over again, Blood Ties still could have been something special, because of it's cast, but that didn't happen simply because it is one of the most predictable films I've seen all year. The film features two brothers, Chris (Clive Owen) a career criminal, just released from prison, and Frank (Billy Crudup) a New York City Detective, who tries to help Chris get back on his feet. Didn't I see this movie in 2007 when it was called We Own The Night? That film has the exact same tagline, but fortunately wasn't as predictable. Billy Crudup stars as the good brother and was the only interesting character in the film, surprising considering the film features two of my favorite actors, James Caan and Charlie Tahan. Unfortunately neither of them have a particular big or interesting role, as everything centers around these two brothers. The con is played by Clive Owen, who honestly seemed like he didn't want anything to do with this role. He is emotionless, uneven, and every time he has any kind of long dialogue, I thought I was going to fall asleep. The bottom line, one's a cop, the others a con, I wonder what's going to happen? What happens is exactly what you think is going to happen, so why even bother to watching this extreme disappointment?
March 26, 2015
It was ok I guess. The relationships didn't add up. It was watchable.
March 24, 2015
the only thing good about this movie was the classic cars and that's pushing it
½ March 18, 2015
Great on paper but never delivers what we expect. Extremely long, unoriginal (we've seen this story tons of times before), predictable and basically a copy of all gangster movies ever made. For those who watched Les Liens Du Sang, the movie in which Blood Ties is based on, we'll see the exact same thing they did in 2008, except it's in New York. Performances are great because the cast is superb but accents are bizarre (Marion Cotillard is Italian but speaks English with a French accent) and female roles are terrible (Lily Taylor is almost a figurant) and completely dependent on men. Funny since the most interesting thing in this film are women. Costumes and cinematography are quite good and soundtrack is nostalgic, even though it's forced and inadequate sometimes. Anyway, these technical aspects don't compensate the lack of development in the script and lack of creativity of the director, the once promissing Guillaume Canet.