Blue Thunder - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Blue Thunder Reviews

June 19, 2016
Its comforting to know that the LAPD has a helicopter with enough firepower to destroy an entire subdivision should the need ever arise. MacDowell's character a plus here, easy to dislike.
½ June 19, 2016
Terrorist wants to take down a high tech U.S. helicopter in this entertaining 80s action pic.
May 3, 2016
Despite some big lapses in logic, Blue Thunder is a thrilling action-adventure with a smart, cynical attitude and a villain (Malcolm McDowell) you'll just love to hate.
½ April 1, 2016
Unfortunately, non impressive at all...
February 14, 2016
This film really does still hold up, despite being riddled with endless 80s action film cliches, telling story of Vietnam Vet, Roy Schneider, who's now an LAPD helicopter pilot being tapped to try out a new high tech, anti-terrorist helicopter. Government conspiracies then emerge and Schneider and his co-pilot, Daniel Stern, look to expose it. Written by solid genre screenwriters Dan O'Bannon ("Alien," "Total Recal") and Don Jakoby ("Lifeforce," "Arachnophobia"), with some script doctoring by Hollywood stalwart Dean Riesner ("Dirty Harry," "Coogan's Bluff," "Starman"), the techno-thriller action story was much more original when it first came out, but it's one now that's been endlessly imitated and now feels pretty stale (i.e. "Firefox," "Night Rider," or whatever super motorcycle movie you can think of). However, "Blue Thunder" overcomes this by sheer quality of cast and production. I'd forgotten what a strong actor Roy Scheider was. He's terrific in the lead, as is Warren Oates, in his last film appearance, in what otherwise would seem to be a cliched showing captain role, but he manages to make the character interesting and manages to steal every scene he's in. You also have Candy Clark as Scheider's wife, Daniel Stern as his co-pilot, Malcolm McDowell as Scheider's helicopter pilot rival and character actors James Murtaugh, Joe Santos and James Read. Directed by John Badham, ("Wargames," "Saturday Night Fever," "The Hard Way") who I'd always though was an underrated director, make the action exciting and give the film a slick look. Director of photography John A. Alonzo also gets credit for the film's sick look, particularly the nighttime scenes. And although the filmscore isn't a classic, the 80s style synthesizer score by Arthur B. Rubinstein is pretty fun too and adds a nice nostalgia factor (along with Scheider's Trans Am and prominently feature digital watch). Corny, but pretty fun stuff here.
February 9, 2016
Bomb!!!...........childhood flick
½ January 28, 2016
i still love this movie. I loved Roy Scheiders performance & the helicopter duel over the skies of L.A.
½ September 2, 2015
Released the same year as Badham's War Games it's certainly well made and Daniel Stern, in his first role as a grown up, is a lot of fun. It's certainly exciting, but it's also cheesy as all get out.
July 17, 2015
Loved this movie when I was in junior high. Doesn't quite stand the test of time but Roy Scheider is still fun to watch.
July 14, 2015
Aunque ahora entiendo por qué Roy deja el helicóptero más molón del mundo sobre las vías del tren, sigo sin compartir tanto dramatismo.

Me lo hubiera quedado.
½ July 9, 2015
109 minutes of Roy Scheider wondering why he's there - talk about phoning it in...
June 13, 2015
one of those unsung 80s classics directed by John badham and written by Dan o'Bannon.
½ April 11, 2015
An action packed thrill ride that;s every bit good today as it was in'83.
April 4, 2015
I hadn't seen this classic action film from the 80's about a special high-tech armoured helicopter, and enjoyed it quite a bit. The blu-ray looks outstanding and enjoyed Roy Scheider and Malcolm McDowell in it. Give it a try!
April 2, 2015
Pretty awesome 80s action thriller
December 8, 2014
It's not a particularly bad film, but it's not a particularly good film. With that in mind, it's important to remember the line between the kind of decent movie that one can actually stand to sit through, and the kind of movie that's decent, but tedious. This, I feel, is the former kind, because even though it's not particularly special, there's a certain quality to it that makes it passable. Perhaps I'm focusing too much on the film's aesthetic qualities, which, to be fair, aren't too bad for a film that seems outdated. On the other hand, the story is fairly simplistic, and the characters and acting aren't much to speak of. The production values aren't exactly stellar either, with many scenes that look rather cheaply made. However, back in the 1980's, this could always be solved with more than a few explosions, which in this film seem to look much better than anything else in the whole film. If you're interested in 80's action films, then obviously this is one of the many films you should look for. Otherwise, there really isn't much I can say.
September 27, 2014
I really do have an attraction to this movie. I usually see it once every 1 or 2 years. The movie is fast and does not go too deep in the issues, but that is why I like it. It gets in fast and next thing you know it is over. Not one of those movies where halfway it loses your attention. What I really like is that the Blue Thunder helicopter is believable. I would fear if they re made it today it would be so spaceship like and all cgi. like the plane in Stealth. This is well worth a watch.
½ September 24, 2014
Recommended if you're concerned about government surveillance or just want to see some cool helicopter dogfights.
½ March 3, 2014
Predictable and dated action flick about a military helicopter. There are a few moments where you think it's going to address voyeurism (a la "Rear Window"), but those moments are fleeting.
½ February 15, 2014
Weird movie. Great action sequences. Really unforgivable/odd stuff to keep the plot moving; a bit lazy even for an action movie. But what the heck do I know? I can't fly helicopters and Frank Murphy can. Cool shit. Had a good time. Love helicopter chases.