Bowfinger - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bowfinger Reviews

August 28, 2016
Clever spoof by Steve Martin and hilarious acting by Eddie Murphy.
August 2, 2016
Bowfinger is directed by Frank Oz, and it stars Steve Martin and Eddie Murphy in a comedy film about a filmmaker that has a script that he thinks is amazing, and he wanted to get Kit Ramsey (Eddie Murphy) to star in his movie, but the problem is that he declined his offer, and Bobby Bowfinger (Steve Martin) promised his crew that Kit is in it. So they try to film him in it without him knowing about it. When I saw that this was about to expire on Netflix, I figure I should watch it again for review reasons, and as a result of it, I had a great time with this. The acting is great, and it's really nice to see Eddie Murphy be really funny as his Kit character be unaware about being in a movie that really is s comedic gold to be, while also playing a different character as a dork that seems to be very genuine which I haven't see him act this way. The jokes hit bullseye for me, and plays a satire on filmmaking in terms of guerrilla style, and Scientology. Characters are memorable, and there was a thing that got to think of one of the situations that could've been solved easily, but it made me forgive it by using it as an advantage for some good jokes. The writing by Steve Martin is well written, and it never gets to a situation that gets a bit mean-spirited. Bowfinger is a comedic classic that I can see why people think that it's one of the last films that they find Eddie Murphy funny in live-action, that is until he's funny in Tower Heist.
July 31, 2016
No idea how this was ever Certified Fresh. Shame on you Steve Martin. Over-the-top Eddie strikes again.
July 7, 2016
I can see how other could enjoy it, but just not for me. Martin and Murphy are good, on the other hand the rest of the cast isn't good and personally too cheesy and forced. Smart plot wish it would've been better.
June 10, 2016
Very 90s. Very funny. Seventeen years later and this film still holds ups. Plus, as someone who's worked in the industry, it is just hilarious to see how they produce and come up with their whole "film".
½ May 24, 2016
Bowfinger offers bountiful laughs at the expense of ALL levels of Hollywood and filmmaking, from the delusional and aspiring to the disillusioned and entitled. At both times smartly pointed and hilariously ridiculous, it's filled with colorful characters...Murphy specifically shines, with both of his characters feeling unique and distinct. Loads of satirical fun.
May 18, 2016
Really funny and clever, makes fun of the darker side of Hollywood. I wish I could see the entire 'Chubby Rain' movie to enjoy more of this humor! Steve Martin was great, Eddie Murphy was great...the entire ensemble cast was brilliant.
May 15, 2016
Eh, it wasn't all too great but did have a few funny parts. Both Eddie Murphy and Steve Martin sure aren't what they used to be...
May 1, 2016
When I was a young boy, I remember, vividly, going to the films with my mother every weekend. I remember we'd have to take the bus, since we did not have a car and our grandfather, who did have a car, didn't live with us. I remember seeing so many movies as a kid and that is, probably, one of my favorite memories of my youth. One of the movies I saw as a youth was actually this one. The 11-year-old me, at this point in time, only really wanted to see this film because I thought Eddie Murphy was a funny man. That's it. I don't remember what I thought at the time, but it's highly likely that I did not enjoy that movie when I was 11-year-old. There were just certain parts of the film and its satirical commentary on film that I just wouldn't have been smart enough to pick on. It's not like the film is completely inclusive, in that only people smart enough about the industry could understand it, the film is also somewhat broad to appeal to appeal to a more casual crowd. So I thought that was smart but, again, I don't think I was advanced enough in my development to truly appreciate this movie. I'm not about to say that this is a subversive work of genius comedy, but it is an entertaining movie nonetheless. There's a couple of scenes where the film shows that it's actually more relevant about the film industry today than, perhaps, it even was when it first came out. The one scene I'm talking about is the one where Kit Ramsey talks about how he hasn't won an Oscar because he hasn't played a slave role and how white actors get all the good roles that win all the Oscars. It's a tremendous scene not only because it's funny, the line about the retarded slave might probably the best line in the entire movie, but also because of how real it is. It's even more relevant when you take into consideration that Chiwetel Ejiofor, one of this generation's most gifted actors, only got an Oscar nomination for playing, you guessed it, a slave. Who knew that Steve Martin, as a screenwriter, was so ahead of the real issues that are permeating the film industry as we speak. I think things are better for black actors nowadays than they were in, even, 1999, but that's like growing from 5% penetration of all the homes that have TV in the use to, like, 10%. You did double your penetration, what an unfortunate sentence right there, but you're still not in that many homes. But the film also has a lot of absurd and entertaining scenes. I love the idea of filming a movie where the star doesn't even know they're in it. It's not like documentaries, where someone infiltrates a company to expose certain misdeeds, it's a sci-fi film and that concept did, again, lend itself to some funny moments. I'm not saying the film isn't completely consistent and the subplot with Heather Graham's character being a gold-digger who moves on to people higher up on the ladder for her own selfish reasons seems unnecessary honestly. I'm sure Martin was trying to say something with this, but how that had any relevance to the film and its overall narrative is beyond me. Obviously the film slows down a bit, but it regains its footing once it comes near the end. Another thing the film did, and perhaps that's unknowingly, is show how smaller producers/directors/etc, like Bowfinger, actually do what they do for the love of film. They may not get all the permits necessary to do what they do, they may not have the biggest budget and they may not even have their star's permission to be in their film, but they're doing this because they love film and want desperately to be a part of this world. This is why, to me, Ed Wood will always be a considerably superior filmmaker than Michael Bay, despite, actively, making worse movies that Michael Bay could ever dream of. Ed Wood did it for the love of making films, Michael Bay makes shitty movies so he can take people's money. And that is the difference between the two. And that is one of the film's strongest points, to me at least. But that's about it, it's not perfect and it might not have super gracefully, but this is still an enjoyable little film with a great cast, Eddie Murphy and Christine Baranski are great here, a solid script and just an energetic pace and tone. Might not be a comedic classic, or a 90s comedy classic for that matter, but it's a fun movie that I would recommend for sure.
April 26, 2016
"Bowfinger" is a delightful screwball comedy where the laughs are delivered from self-awareness and wit. However, with a very thin plot and it's overall lack of unique characters and subplots, like most comedies, "Bowfinger" is a temporary experience that likely won't stay with you.
½ April 17, 2016
Goofy and fun, but will leave you feeling like you expected more from two of the biggest names in comedy.
April 14, 2016
i thought this was a funny movie
April 10, 2016
Bowfinger seems promising for its first half hour or so but goes downhill fast. Its clever premise and a few performances are notably good but the rest seems stale, odd and a little mean spirited (which tends to majorly affect the nature of the film).
Bobby Bowfinger is a failing director who hopes to cast arrogant action movie star Kit Ramsey in his latest film, one he hopes to be a blockbuster hit. When Ramsey refuses to be in the film, Bowfinger doesn't want to let his fellow actors down, hoping to secretly film Ramsey in public and let the actors perform their lines in front of him - just his reactions are enough to give him a solid character. Bowfinger also strikes gold when unknowingly casting Ramsey's nerdy younger brother as a stunt double, gaining more connections and running into more trouble as the film goes on.
Bowfinger fails to deliver on its inventive, seemingly bold and fresh story, which really matters for this film. It seems good at first mention but proves to be odd, a little confusing, and doesn't know where it's going next. It almost feels like some parts are left out before quickly going to whatever is happening next. The stressed behind the scenes mean spiritedness, for me, gave the film just that: an unenjoyable, overly rushed stressed atmosphere. I typically love Steve Martin but his performance in this wasn't as good, and his character was unlikable. Eddie Murphy delivered more than Martin, who gets a lot more screen time and even wrote the film. The "movie behind a movie" plot always seems captivating at first glance but sometimes isn't what it seems to be - Bowfinger looks great at first glance, with the poster almost even promising great chemistry between Martin and Murphy, but really disappoints.
½ March 31, 2016
This film is pretty darn creative.
½ March 25, 2016
This movie was so funny, excellent plot and fantastic acting!
½ November 20, 2015
Second time it's even more fun. Really good comedy for cinephile.
Also great choice for music.
November 13, 2015
I've been a fan of this film since it came out on DVD in 2000. Whilst it takes a bit of time getting going, it's such an enjoyable comedy that has great warmth to it, with some really likable characters who are just trying to get a movie made.
Eddie Murphy is superb, especially as Jiff. He plays the character so sweat and warm, really demonstrating some great acting chops along the way.
Heather Graham was at her (brief) peak before she descended into terrible straight to DVD movies.
Steve Martin is the main focus and gets some great moments and jokes, but doesn't really feel quite like the heart of the film. That's more the cast around him.
Christine Baranski plays the very likeable Carol, and clearly enjoys showing off Carol's terrible acting.
And the always entertaining Terence Stamp eats up his screen time in a way not seen since Superman II.
Don't think too hard about the plot, just enjoy the ride, as well as the film within a film: Chubby Rain.
November 7, 2015
Good comedy film with likeable stars and a funny look at Hollywood filmmaking.
September 14, 2015
Det sjoveste ved denne stort set usjove komedie er, at titlen udtales "Bogfinker". Hvis du vil hyle af grin over en film af Oz med Steve Martin, så se "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels".