Brad's Status - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Brad's Status Reviews

½ June 2, 2018
Could have done without the voiceover, but Ben Stiller carries the movie well in a serious role.
½ May 28, 2018
Watched this on the journey from Toronto to Montreal. It was a good watch, I particularly liked the commentary on the trail of thought from Brad. I'm at an age where my friends are going their seperate ways a bit, so this film resonated.
½ May 19, 2018
Poor Ben Stiller, he's not as rich as his friends. Boohoo he's not sleeping with 20somethings. Yawn-inducing middle class, middle-aged angst. Terrible.
May 9, 2018
Stiller plays the role of an overbearing and insecure father effectively enough. However, the story drags, serves slowly rolling and lingering close ups as provocative thought, and plays on this internal angst of Stiller's lead in a melodramatic fashion.
½ May 8, 2018
Horrible, the BORING, artsy version of Orange County. Ben Stilller should stick to comedy. It's like Netflix tried The Secret Life of Walter Mitty and failed miserably.
½ May 7, 2018
Not a bad movie about a father who tries getting his son into Harvard. Could have been a lot better. Why was Luke Wilson even in this?
½ May 5, 2018
I cannot believe this LAME movie was listed on Comcast as a "comedy". If you like SJW terminology , I promise every word or phrase you would hope to hear is in here. "Yeah" to misogyny, sexism, white "privilege" and even NGO!

This movie was not only a huge drag, it is oh-so politically correct! Something for everyone without a drag. The only thing missing is COMEDY! Not ONE laugh throughout the entire movie.

So, if you're a SJW, you will love this as long as you hate to laugh. For the rest of us normal people, this was horrible. You will walk away with one lesson - according to this movie, life sucks matter who you are or how much money you have.

LIFE SUCKS according to the very wealthy and acclaimed Ben Stiller. So, you ask, what hope is there for the rest of us. Excuse me, while I go slit my wrists and good night!
April 22, 2018
A super boring piece of shit ! don't look at this movie because it's awful and it's not necessary to watch it.
April 21, 2018
Oh great, just what we need--another movie about the silly plights of a wealthy white man! This movie was simply a bore, with little character development or insight. A waste of time.
April 9, 2018
Boy, this movie's too real.

I was not expecting this Ben Stiller movie to get so honest and real with me. It dug under my skin and into some deep fears/general apprehensions about life and the future.

This is probably my favourite midlife crisis movie ever. The typical midlife crisis themes were explored beautifully, honestly (brutally so), and at all times on the verge of being painful like an emotional oblivion, but staying on that edge, dangling our feet into it.

This movie was tactful, subtle, very grounded and aware of itself. Even if it said little in terms of new insights into the midlife crisis, it said what it did beautifully. Even if it did play into some genre clichés, it was all done so well I didn't even mind. It just worked.

Ben played his role perfectly. Seriously. I loved him in this role. The rest of the actors were fine. The kid did well as a believable teenager.

The music was pretty fun, had its own personality, was fitting at all times. The visuals were serviceable.

It's an incredibly tight package with a heavy and difficult theme. It's definitely a sleeper gut punch. It'll stick with me for a while. Beautiful.
April 9, 2018
It was an honest little movie about life choices, expectations, reality and family. It was so truthful that everyone can find something to relate. However I'm not sure if I like the old version of Ben Stiller.
April 5, 2018
I was very disappointed by this film. It is very obvious from the trailers that the general arch of the film will be that Ben Stiller is disappointed in his life's achievements, particularly in comparison to his uber successful friends (Luke Wilson, Jemaine Clement and Michael Sheen) but discovers that he is the truely "rich" one because of his family. Except that conclusion is only come to after discovering the flaws in his friends' lives, which he is somewhat to happy to discover. He doesn't come to value his family over traditional success, he merely discovers his friends aren't as successful as he realized. With the second most screen time, his son is thoroughly unmemorable and the film ends with Stiller as a character I feel just as unsympathetic for as when the film started.
½ April 2, 2018
In "Brad's Status," Ben Stiller gives a strong performance playing a pretty dislikable character. This movie kept my interest but I found Stiller's character to constantly complain about nothing. This is even pointed out to his character at one point. The movie is also pretty grounded in reality, which sometimes means that nothing happens for certain segments and the movie can become a drag. I liked how the story was interesting since it didn't present a typical middle age crisis. In the end, the Stiller's character grew on me as he learned valuable lessons and felt like a real person.
April 2, 2018
One of the most unlikable characters I've ever seen in a movie. He is self-absorbed, self-hating and boring. And, as someone else said, the string music, especially at the beginning, is extremely annoying. The other characters are poorly developed. THe two stars are because it is well shot.
March 28, 2018
Depressing and self loathing. Have better ways to spend my time than watching a movie about an entitled self absorbed individual.
½ March 19, 2018
A smartly written, introspective look at a man that seems to have it all, but still feels unsatisfied. You really get to know these characters and their interactions with others feel authentic. Brad's Status is also proof that given the right material, Ben Stiller can be a solid actor. If one can get over themselves and see past the "white privilege" aspect of the story, then you are in for a solid film.
March 18, 2018
After 100 minutes of insufferable whining, the best I can say is that I invented a drinking game - swig every time we hear Ben Stiller's inner monologue. I'm hammered!
½ March 17, 2018
Brad's Status is a fantastic spin on keeping up with the Joneses, but from a more psychological and lifestyle perspective as opposed to a stereotypical focus on the accumulation of material possessions. Ben Stiller's performance is what we've come to expect (excellent), and he brilliantly portrays the more subtle and existential aspects of his midlife crisis. It is very hard to come across a film of this quality that genuinely explores the consequences of the American capitalistic social structure in a serious and non-satirical way. The conversation he has with his long-time friend and perceived rival flips his internal narrative on its head and ignites a process of self-discovery that in the end, what matters most is not the opinions of "others" (who are all only focused on themselves anyway), but that all along what matters most is his doting and thoughtful son who loves him unconditionally, for who he is (family love supersedes the superficial approval of the outsider / acquaintance).
½ March 15, 2018
"Brad's Status" is a beautifully constructed piece that delves deep into the big question of life.

Brad has a satisfying career and a comfortable life in suburban Sacramento where he lives with his sweet-natured wife, Melanie (Jenna Fischer), and their musical prodigy son, Troy (Austin Abrams), but it's not quite what he imagined during his college glory days. Showing Troy around Boston, where Brad went to university, he can't help comparing his life with those of his four best college friends: a Hollywood bigshot (White), a hedge fund founder (Luke Wilson), a tech entrepreneur (Jemaine Clement), and a political pundit and bestselling author (Michael Sheen).

Ben Stiller is someone who's been around for a while and while his name may become buried under the plethora of actors in today's business, it's performances like these that show how truly talented he is. Not only was this an amazing film, but it was just so well made in every which way. I've gotta say, I loved Ben Stiller's performance in it. He showed so much emotion in a role that could've been killed with over dramatization, but it felt so real.

One thing that was amazing about this film was the screenplay. The screenplay was so well constructed and was so well written. This is the kind of format that is almost guaranteed to work when done correctly. Its ability to delve deep into its themes and messages made it so relatable and memorable. I thought the pacing was great and the way the story was told honestly pretty captivating.

The film overall was a feel good, think-hard film. It's a film that has these really happy emotions, but it's also filled with fears that I think a lot of people will be able to relate to. It's something that I think a lot of people who are older can use to put a microscope on their life, along with those who are trying to make their way in life.

In the end, "Brad's Status" was honestly a great watch. It's on Amazon Prime and I highly recommend it.
½ March 12, 2018
It is so bad, i'd rather pull out my toenails