Bran Nue Dae - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bran Nue Dae Reviews

May 26, 2016
oh my gosh love this movie
November 13, 2015
comatose, ungainly malaise never hits its straps despite attempts of delectation. it's a musical, but rarely distinguishes itself as one by subsisting with dilettante songs, a sheer hack director and high-handed, sloppy racial stereotypes. 'bran nue dae' can't even sell the basic components of what little story it feigns.
½ January 1, 2015
It's a pretty good movie for most of the movie but I didn't really like the ending
½ October 4, 2014
I absolutely loved this movie. Being an indigenous Australian myself me and my family could really connect with this movie. It's extremely enjoyable with great performances by Jessica Maulboy, Ernie Dingo and Rocky Mckenzie - plus I'm sucker for all murri movies like The Saphires, Rabbit Proof Fence and Australia.
August 8, 2014
Bran Nue Dae is certainly a film with plenty of spirit and had lots of charm about it but at times the film becomes a bit uneven but that's okay as it charms its way through the hour and a half
½ July 20, 2014
Lighthearted and funny with catchy tunes and some hilarious moments - great cast! A joy of a movie.
December 17, 2013
Bah! Total Drivel. It Has A Few (Very Short) Moments Of Entertainment Otherwise It Was A Disgraceful Look At Aboriginal Culture. I Can't Believe The Aboriginal Actors Were Quite Happy To Make Fun Of Themselves & Along With The 'Jerry Springer' Everyones Related Ending..Give Me A Break!!! ARGH!!!!
½ February 2, 2013
Waited a long time to see this and so glad I finally did. Bright, funny and a great musical, I loved every minute of it.
Brilliant and great to see some landmarks that I know and see all the time too.
½ December 19, 2012
Continuity A+, not a boring moment in it, comedy rating is well suited, [miracle statement from me my Husband claims]. This should be a good report card as too Rocky McKenzie's acting abilities.
½ July 24, 2012
I didn't finish it !! I don't like the songs... and the story!
July 17, 2012
I like it,, want this movie donlod
July 9, 2012
Great Australian film and Musical with a great Cast. Love Magda Szubanski!
June 30, 2012
I love it so much and I don't even know why, the music is just infectious
½ June 30, 2012
What a great movie! Not at all what I expected! Really enjoyed it!
June 2, 2012
"Hairy-nosed Wombats!"
Bran Nue Dae is a feel good movie. That's all it is. It just makes you feel happy, and it does a wonderful job of it. This is pure entertainment, and it's not be taken seriously.

The film is set during 1969. Willie (Rocky McKenzie) lives in Broome and loves the very beautiful Rosie (Jessica Mauboy) but isn't brave enough to tell her. His mother wants him to be a priest, so she sends him to a boarding school in Perth run by Father Benedictus (Geoffrey Rush), who is incredibly strict. After an incident, Benedictus is about to punish Willie, but Willie runs away and tries to get back to Broome. He meets his Uncle Tadpole (Ernie Dingo), who is homeless, and the two tag along with couple Annie (Missy Higgins) and Slippery (Tom Budge), who are both hippies.

This is an adaptation 1990 stage musical of the same name,and it amazingly enjoyable. The screenplay isn't supposed to be sophisticated, it's pretty damn goofy, which I loved. The dialogue was wonderful, with some delightful lines that were hilarious. The characters are funny, with Uncle Tadpole and Father Benedictus. The only character that I didn't really like was the hero - Willy. He's a insipent hero, he's got no spirit or flavour (if you know what I mean by that) - making him an uninteresting character. The ending is far from plain and boring, with some very funny and unexpected twists.

I did like the acting. I didn't think Rocky McKenzie was anything special. Geoffrey Rush was very funny and charismatic. Missy Higgins was excellent considering this is her first movie. Magda Szubanski was also in this as cameo, playing the frisky owner of a Roadhouse, and she was so funny. Jessica Mauboy was just splendid. She's so beautiful and she sings so wonderfully, it was a treat to see her in this.

The film has many engaging elements - the visuals, musical numbers and the pacing. The singing is wonderful. This isn't as plain and dumb as High School Musical. The musical numbles here are catchy and very fun to watch, totally engaging, and they've been staged so well. The film is able to keep an energetic feel throughout the film, and it all looks terrific. The cinematography was charming. The pacing is brisk, though I thought the film was wee bit too short.

Bran Nue Dae is a fun ride to cinemas for any Aussie. This ain't Hollywood musical, the budget isn't as huge, but it's far more entertaining than most of those dumb bimbo musicals we have nowadays (High School Musical). This an energetic, entertaining film which just lightens up your day. I was sad on the day I went to see this because my Ipod had gone missing, but I just forgot all about that while sitting in the cinema, smiling through the whole running time of this. I left the theatres feeling great. So, if you love feel good films, especially if you're a fan of musicals, I recommend you see this in the cinemas. It's so fun!
½ June 2, 2012
Comédie musicale à la Bollywood croquante. Pour quelqu'un comme moi qui n'est pas trop trop ''MUSICAL'', les couleurs sont sublimes et les performances sont très réussies. Cute, loufoque, beau beau beau!
May 22, 2012
144 character review pending
½ May 7, 2012
Good hearted and fun musical, though the song-and-dance routines are surprisingly below standard and often embarrassing to watch.
½ April 8, 2012
Who knows what to make of this piece of rubbish? It's not funny. The music is derivative. Why play Zorba the Greek? Why are all the aborigines shown as toothless drunks? The characters are shallow. Geoffrey Rush plays a German Catholic priest as if he were a Nazi storm trooper. His character is so ridiculous that it gives the signal that nothing in the film can be taken seriously. So what's the point? Got better things to do with my time......