The Break-Up - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Break-Up Reviews

May 16, 2017
"The Break up" is a film that incorporates a real life situation into a film that is relatable and well rounded. This film produces a new look at relationships and the hardships that are bound to come between two people. The director interestingly takes a new, and innovative approach on this film by not making it a happy ending story, but in fact making it a sad ending where neither person in the couple regains what they truly want--each other. The director continuously reinforces the idea that couples aren't always happy and go through trials just like everyone else. By doing this, it makes the film a more relatable thing to watch for an older audience.
Although this film is overall an enjoyable film to watch, I would not consider it classic or a very popular film. Though in it's time it may have been very popular amongst adults and teenagers, it's overall value has decreased with time. Many think this is due to the fact that the film is too generic with no real 'closure' at the end of the film. Others speculate that it's just another relationship movie. I believe this film decreased in popularity due to both of these reasons. It attracts many of the older audience to this film, but once you've seen it, you've seen it and there's not much more to gain.
Overall, I believe this film holds many morals and messages within it. All relationships have problems at one point or another and I believe this film explores those ideas fairly well. It teaches us that if you love someone, you sacrifice what you want to make the other person happy. It's also equally important that both partners are emotionally satisfied in the relationship in order for it to work out in the end for both parties. The director installations that in his film by getting a deeper look of the phases couples go through after a break up, which made the film stronger in the long run.
The director in this film did a good job of showing the internal conflict of both the people in the relationship and how that affected the wellbeing of the external conflict. By showing both sides of this relationship and how both people thought out their next move, it brought to light many of the questions people have in their own relationship. Brooke's internal conflict was feeling unappreciated in the relationship, and Gary's internal conflict was being confused and wanting freedom. Both of these problems contributed to the bridged external conflict, the break up and the aftermath it left on their friends and family. The director brought to light these two characters equally into the plot, which strengthened the audience's connection to both characters. This film explores relationships and the struggles one goes through very well. I would recommend this movie and give it a 7 on the wow scale.
March 20, 2017
Like 'Mr& Mrs Smith', it's a product of the Brad-Angelina-Jennifer split fiasco. And just like 'Mr & Mrs Smith' and the Brad-Angelina-Jennifer split fiasco - this is a big waste of time
½ January 3, 2017
Not even a witty and always-entertaining Vince Vaughn can save this movie. The whole movie you are waiting for the "feel-good" moment to come, and i guess it does? via Vaughn and Aniston having a weird and almost forced conversation on the street, where *spoiler alert* they don't get back together. So when it all boils down, we are left with 2 hours of harsh, petty break up, and that's it. This doesn't exactly make for a great watching experience.
½ December 9, 2016
I think this is a good comedy, they work well together and there's a lot of laughs in here
November 29, 2016
SPOILER (this movie would not be getting this rating if they got back together at the end of the film).
November 9, 2016
a good film, pointing out the difficulties in differences infused with some funny moments, do not understand the low ratings
October 27, 2016
boring as all hell...not worth watching even for free
½ August 13, 2016
Couple breaks up but are still living together in that dull romantic comedy.
July 31, 2016
I always enjoyed this movie
½ July 8, 2016
Very Funny As I Actually Have Seen Some Couples (Not Me Personally) Go Through This Exact Situation Of Being 'Separated' But Still In Each Other's Hair. Incredibly Difficult But If You Look At The Love/Hate Idiosyncrasies, We All Can Laugh At Ourselves In This As Men & Women Are Just Soooo Different..That's Why We Love Each Other Right!?
June 27, 2016
The Break-Up is a romantic comedy. Vince Vaughn and Jennifer Aniston are hilarious together. This movie is hilarious and has a great plot. I would suggest this movie.
May 18, 2016
currently in a break up - watch this - its hilarious
½ May 17, 2016
Possibly the stupidest movie ever made
March 21, 2016
Walked out of the movie. Horrible storyline, and sexist in so many subtle ways.
September 21, 2015
good com-rom-dram and yet another lost review
½ September 16, 2015
A movie you can not wait to end.....pointless.
½ August 15, 2015
People going in expecting happy endings. Haha.
June 2, 2015
I agree with the critics... this movie results in an odd and unsatisfying experience. The only thing that made this movie for me was Justin Long's role and the character: Marilyn Dean.