Breaking Away - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Breaking Away Reviews

½ September 10, 2016
If you're into bike racing and coming-of-age stories and/or Dennis Quaid, this movie is for you. Unfortunately, I'm not into any of those.
½ August 22, 2016
An interesting cast, but an uninteresting movie. It lacks movie magic. (First and only viewing - 8/6/2016)
March 25, 2016
Not without its faults, I sat through this movie full of emotion for the whole thing, lovable characters with a universal struggle. But we never know what truly becomes of Mike or Cyril, specifically Cyril who seems to have no one to celebrate their win with.
½ January 2, 2016
This is a wonderful cycling movie that captures the human spirit and lifts the coming-of-age story to new heights. If you love cycling, this is a must see, if you enjoy a really well balanced story, this is a must see.
August 11, 2015
What a throw back to my childhood. So fun & uplifting.
May 11, 2015
Divertida, inteligente. Una joya legítima.
April 18, 2015
With unlikable characters of which the main one is especially obnoxious and awfully cliched plot with typical ending, Breaking Away has its moments including some wonderful dialogue sequences mostly including the father who is the saving grace here bringing the humor and heart to a film and the direction, technical aspects and acting are good, but the script is so by-the-numbers with a boring sports drama that ruined the whole movie and should have been left out. It is such a major disappointment and undoubtedly an incredibly overrated movie.
½ January 23, 2015
Com uma noção muito equilibrada de humor, camaradagem e nostalgia, "Breaking Away" é um pedaço especialmente feliz de pura Americana com algo a dizer sobre a juventude. Em comparação com os muitos concorrentes do género, o filme de Peter Yates dispõe de uma naturalidade e falta de pretensão que, depois de feitas as contas, lhe atribui uma carga feel-good mais ou menos infalível para quem tenha coração.
½ January 23, 2015
Quaid as a pissed off townie... Good.
January 17, 2015
Not a bad coming of age story, but had too much going on in the first half and felt too scattered in focus at times. I really enjoyed the relationships that Dave had with his parents and how they evolved.
½ December 5, 2014
This could be the best bike film made which succeeds as a sports drama and as a comedy, mixed with strong performances from the characters.
½ November 14, 2014
October 20, 2014
I loved this movie from beginning to end. A wonderful ensemble cast most notable a hilarious performance from Paul Dooley, who I loved in the 2007 Hairspray as well, in a performance that is among the greatest dads in movie history. The lead Dennis Christopher is excellent as is Dennis Quaid, Jackie Earl Haley, Daniel Stern, and Barbra Barrie. The movie rightfully won the Original Screenplay and should have won Picture and Director over Kramer VS Kramer. It has an impressive score and great camera work during the race. It's also a coming of age tale that has stood the test of time to still really works today.
August 4, 2014
My all time favorite movie. Great classic.
July 15, 2014
Just happen to catch this movie that I originally saw in the theater back in summer of 1979, and I really believe it's forgotten in the pantheon of sports movies. Yes it's the underdog story to a tee, but it's more then that. There's a bunch about growing up, who you are in society and the relationship between father and son. I really love this movie and almost always stop to watch when I see it on. I'd certainly put it in my sports top 20, maybe top 10.
July 10, 2014
Indiana oh indiana. go IU.
½ July 7, 2014
Amazing underdog story considered one of the top 10 all-time inspirational films! It's also a great coming of age story!
½ June 26, 2014
A plesant sports film where we meet the battle between the university guys and the local boys, known as "cutters".
It's a bit out dated but it's a lot less slap-stick than most comedies now a days. It's charming and enjoyable, with fine moments and a nice pace. Not a boring film even if it's not bringing up many big laughs. Some nice sub-plots a a great finale makes it even better.

Cool to see one of the bad guys from the "Home Alone" films (thought that he only did those) and the legendary Dennis Quaid
an old school high school flick.

7 out of 10 unlit cigs.
June 12, 2014
The perfect blend of a coming-of-age comedy and a compelling sports drama.
May 29, 2014
One of the best sports movies of all time.