Breathe - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Breathe Reviews

February 17, 2018
The best acting of entire cast I've seen in a long time. Well written beautiful cinematography. Truest best love story.
February 14, 2018
I'd just came off a binge of season two of The Crown and luckily had some more Claire Foy greatness to watch. While emotional, there are quite a few laughs in this one. And I love Garfield and Foy together.
February 6, 2018
Breathe is an interesting fact based film because it reveals the isolated lives of polio victims in the late 50's and 60's. The iron lung era of warehousing people was truly sad, but alternative treatments didn't exist until Robert Cavendish gave them hope for a better life.

Andrew Garfield is excellent as Robin Cavendish.

Breathe is produced by Cavendish's son, Jonathan, and is directed by Andy Serkis, Jonathan's business partner. So there is a little extra gloss on the film, but it doesn't get in the way of the bigger true story..............

For an $8 ticket, you get $10.53 worth of entertainment.
½ February 5, 2018
Easy to watch. Harmless.
February 2, 2018
I was more puzzled than moved by "Breathe." It's a movie that's constantly transforming itself into something entirely different.
February 2, 2018
While the performances in this film are quite good and this is a solid outing for first-time director Andy Serkis, I must say that the film overall doesn't quite hit the mark. It can be a little difficult to follow and because of that it can be hard to truly delve into the film fully.
½ January 20, 2018
Easy watching and gives you a good feeling about the world. makes us appreciate how far medicine gas come and how lucky we are if we have our health today.
Beautiful scenes even if a little imagination us needed at times.
A movie that will appeal to a wide audience.
January 8, 2018
An incredible story, but I was expecting a lot more facts at the end of the movie.
½ January 6, 2018
unbelievable performances by Andrew Garfield and Claire Foy
an inspiring, emotional, and powerful true story of Robin Cavendish being struck with polio at 28 deciding to truly live and didn't want to sit around waiting to die
Robin and his wife, Diana never gave up and understood the risks, it was astounding too that he had access to the first ever wheelchair for the severely disabled and wanted the rest of the community to have access to it
hospitals for victims felt more like prison cells given that they never saw the light of day and were confined to staying inside the rest of their lives
Robin wanted to live a life truly worth living, everyone deserves that despite the limitations
the chemistry between the two leads is one to behold and the passion behind this story is one to consider deeply
being disabled isn't a death sentence, it's a chance to have the kind of life no one else could ever imagine
no cheap sentimentality here thankfully because director Andy Serkis observes the human element very closely
January 5, 2018
Garfield carries the film.
January 5, 2018
Breathe is a good start for Andy Serkis as a director. The performances by Andrew Garfield and Claire Foy are great and it is a very interesting story and there is quite a bit of good humour in the film. I had never heard pf this story so it was quit interesting to watch. My only major complaints are that at times the film feels rush, especially in the beginning and it is a little generic but I cannot fault it too much for that because it is based on a true story.

7.5/10
January 3, 2018
Breathe takes a extraordinary real-life story and turns into a generic biopic with charming lead performances.
January 3, 2018
the power of movies inspired by real-life events is undeniable.
January 2, 2018
Built upon a sturdy backbone of excellent performances and sensitive direction, Breathe may not completely elevate itself above the prevalent clichés of the genre, but it makes one Hell of an effort. The way our leads are brought together is given so little time that it may as well have been omitted altogether. But in his directorial debut, Andy Serkis brings to life a fascinating tale of love, dignity and determination. It works so well largely because it never sentimentalises. Dramatic moments are allowed to play out naturally, not with big dramatic closeups or booming scores. Claire Foy and Andrew Garfield have terrific chemistry, and really sell the films more serious moments. It covers similar ground to The Theory Of Everything, but it always strives to push beyond itself. There's plenty of locations, gorgeous cinematography and a genuine sense that you're watching a person living and growing with each passing scene, using the tragedy of his life to help those in a similar situation live better than they ever thought they could. It's a very touching film, a heart-warming experience and a sign that we should expect great things from Mr Serkis in the future.
½ January 1, 2018
Although Breathe is very similar to all the movies that come from this plotline, it still manages to be uplifting and inspirational. Andrew Garfield and Claire Foy deliver very gentle performances in what turns out to be a very sweet movie.
½ December 28, 2017
Breathe [Andy Serkis, 2017, United States] It bores me, then it gets me. Then it bores me again. 5/10
½ December 27, 2017
good storytelling of a lifelong journey of transcending physical and mental confines.
December 27, 2017
This is another great performance from Andrew Garfield in what is a touching and heartfelt story about overcoming serious illness. As this is a real-life story it is even more poignant, especially seeing the strength of character shine through that also led to a medical innovation now common all over the world. Highly recommended.
December 26, 2017
What's basically a real-life triumphant tale for the titular polio sufferer has been reduced in the movie to a sentimental love story whether by design or accident, it could have been made more moving with more downs than ups.