Bridge to Terabithia - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bridge to Terabithia Reviews

½ December 8, 2016
This movie is one of the best I've ever seen. The beginning was slighly boring, and some of the movie seemed just to fill time, but the majority of the film kept me waiting for what would happen next. Most of it was expected, except the one part (I can't reveal it, for very obvious reasons post-movie) but it felt so nice to be able to look into someone else's life and see their everyday. The land of Terabithia was only seen to the kids, as is was meant to be. Until the end when Jess opened it to the world. We got to see it, special effects and all, only when the in-movie world did. I was swept away by that world and I still feel the tragedy coursing through me as if I was the one grieving. (I watched the movie in theaters). I can still somehow, if I think hard enough, imagine myself there. The movie was at first a bit boring, but I feel the point was to make a lasting impression. And it did. The universe leaves you aching to be back, and if the book hadn't been a single book, I would've complained that a second movie wasn't out yet. I've seen the movie at least 40 times, and although it doesn't get it better, there is no way in which it can get worse. This movie was a big part of my childhood (I am only 13 now) and still continues with me and, in a way, guides me. If other people didn't have as good a time watching this, I'm okay with that. I personally could not have been happier with the way they portrayed the characters and the way it all folded together.
December 7, 2016
If the Academy Awards had a Best Picture category for "Best Picture, Youth & Family," this would win, hands down. Based on the acclaimed book, the film, according to the author, captures the story & spirit of it. The screenplay was co-written by her son - and the story actually has its origins with him. The uncompressed 5.1 soundtrack & effects on the Bluray are superb. Recommend this as one of Disney's best - like (but different from) "Enchanted" and "Inside Out." ("Bridge" is not animation tho' there are some effects.) Reminds a bit of Tim Burton's wonderful "Big Fish" tho' that picture is adult oriented. "Bridge" is for older kids and - relax & let go - the kid in all of us. Wonderful.
½ December 3, 2016
A film with children as the intended audience yet contains messages that are better suited for adults, Bridge to Terabithia is a very touching and impactful film on multiple levels. Besides the story itself focusing on two kids who grow a close relationship as they explore their imaginations, Terabithia cover a multitude of important topics including religion, sexism, family life, and loss, which make for a lot of heartfelt and emotional moments. Although some events seem a little unrealistic and might not hold up as well in the future, this film still carries plenty of meaning ten years later and is one you'll want to re-watch frequently.
December 2, 2016
An entertaining fantasy.
September 29, 2016
This is yet another movie that I've heard raving reviews about, and was thoroughly disappointed.
Bridge to Terabithia is innocent and cutsey. Two kids who are deprived of love from their parents and are bullied at school, create the fantasy world of Terabithia where they rule a kingdom.
In order to watch this movie, you need some suspension of disbelief. Like why there aren't playground monitors...and why middle school kids are playing pretend.
And the ending...yeah..it left me thinking "...really?"
Honestly, I wouldn't recommend this movie to anyone, and would never watch it again.
½ September 26, 2016
This movie left me crying in bed for a whole afternoon and depressed for four days. It is more of a tragedy than a fantasy movie. But still, it is one of my favorite movies.
September 22, 2016
A magical film about friendship. Very emotional! (First full viewing - In my early twenties)
August 11, 2016
The saddest scene in the film was where the teacher was talking about her dead husband. Apart from that, this film is a major step down from the novel. It is in no way bad, though, just okay.
½ August 7, 2016
Not bad, not great. Fantasy could have gone further. Robb was charming, Hutcherson was not good.
August 4, 2016
cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
June 26, 2016
I liked this. I liked the NZ countryside full of American accents. I'm critical of the manic pixie dream kid and everything that entails!! But the first half is pretty comforting.
½ June 18, 2016
I did NOT like this movie. It was all over the place. First he's swinging on a rope into a forest that he uses his "Imagination" to see everything which doesn't even make sense because the girl can see what he sees in his imagination, but back to the point the movie is all over itself he ha stop find his dad's keys that are miraculously strung to a tree then going on a field trip with only him and his teacher ON A SATURDAY!
June 6, 2016
This movie is fantasy and drama it has good graphics to the movie and it was Beautiful I like how bridge to Terabithia took place in the woods and they had to go across a rope that was cool I think this movie can make you have an imagination of your own world. But this movie is good but made me sad as well.
½ June 3, 2016
Fantastic movie! Children's minds are a fertal ground for adventure and intrigue. This movie captures that wonderment in a way that all ages can relate. Even adults, who've long forgotten their fivolous minds, will enjoy this magical journey... back to childhood.
½ June 2, 2016
So here we are. I was hesitant to delve back into this movie but I said I would so let's begin. Jess is an angsty little emo kid who wants to be an artist and at the same time also be the fastest kid in school. He has a father who he thinks is angry at him all the time and just doesn't 'get him.'
He is bullied at school by several kids in his class and this further contributes to his angsty emo whining. Jess trains to win a impromptu race at school but surprise! A girl straight up owns him hard. Feeling more emo than before Jess is angry but soon learns that this new girl named Leslie lives right next door to him.
Jess and Leslie soon become friends as Jess spends more time feeling sorry for himself because his father doesn't understand his super awesome art and his feminine side. Leslie feels bad for shovel-face Jess and decides to help him cope with his feelz by completely enabling him and inventing a fantasy world on the other side of a creek in his back yard. So if you were horribly mislead by the trailer for this movie as I was; sorry but the place they "find" that they name Terabithia is completely imaginary. So Jess and Leslie spend hours in "Terabithia" battling imaginary things that symbolize all that makes Jess sad and emo in his life.
Fast-forward a bit and Jess gets invited to a museum by his music teacher (cause that makes sense). Jess asks his mother when she is half awake and assumes that she said he could go along. Jess thinks about inviting his new best friend Leslie but punks out in the end cause he's way to cool for that. Jess has a great and inspiring time with his teacher at the museum and is surprised to find his parents frantic when he gets home because they really didn't know where he was. Leslie also is dead. Yep she died in the creek trying to get across probably looking for Jess. Nice job emo.
The rest of this movie honestly isn't really all that important because lets face it; no one is going to be able to get past the fact that Leslie is dead now. The crime that this movie undoubtedly did to children everywhere is no short of what George Lucas did to everyone with Episode 1: the Phantom Menace back in '99. I remember being physically angry at this point in the movie. The marketing department for Disney (yep Disney) must have all been into S&M because torturing people is exactly what this movie did. In NO WAY did the trailer for this movie prepare you for what you were going to see. Terabithia chants "Kali-ma" "KALI-MA!!!" While it rips out your feelings and stabs them right in the eyes.
½ May 28, 2016
The movie does a good job keeping the audience interested for the majority of the movie.
½ May 24, 2016
It's fine but it ain't got crape on the book.
May 1, 2016
It's good intentions can't hide it's bad writing, generic lessons, and poor special effects. In what world do 13 year olds say "dead meat" and "beep beep beep, loser detector"?
April 23, 2016
It does have a jarring shift in tone, the fantasy elements could have been more memorable and the film would have benefited from a longer running time, but Bridge to Terabithia is still such a beautiful movie with such an unexpectedly dark and heartbreaking twist, endearing characters, many moving moments and a brave, original storyline. It is one of the better live-action Disney films for sure.