Bright Star - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bright Star Reviews

June 25, 2016
i love this movie so much
April 2, 2016
Amazingly acted and portrayed. John Keats is one of my favorite poets, and this movie shows his love affair with Fanny Brawne in a remarkably beautiful and realistic way. A near perfect period piece wrought with emotion and passion. loved it.
November 28, 2015
An absolutely fabulous film. Abbie Cornish is perfect. (Tissues required).
½ November 21, 2015
A mostly genteel and restrained love story between poet John Keats and Fanny Brawne, with very solid performances by Abbie Cornish, Paul Schneider and Ben Whishaw - and there is one particularly cathartic scene by the end of the film that did move me to tears.
August 14, 2015
Very touching film, superbly acted and well crafted. It showed me the beauty of deep love and of John Keat's poetry.
August 10, 2015
I love Keats poetry but this film is dull and melodramatic and is very boring,
½ July 19, 2015
I cried like a baby. Beautifully filmed, a little slow but worth watching. A lot of care went into it, great performances by the leads.
February 28, 2015
A saddening love story of John Keats.
½ November 12, 2014
It's very pretty, but I didn't feel like it was ever really beautiful. I liked the beginning, (Paul Schneider's Billy Connolly impression and the antagonism between his and Cornish's characters provided a surprisingly sprightly tone), but the second half becomes a pretty undistinguished doomed love story and the central characters are over-romanticised to the point of gagging, and though the compositions are lovely, the images have a lazy Instagram-filter-esque blue-black colour palette. I liked it (it also ends well) but it could have been better.
November 5, 2014
Good performances from Cornish, Whishaw and Schneider for a folks and costums movie.

You will enjoy it if you like the genre. If not ... well, probably it would be a slow and dull romantic drama for you.
September 25, 2014
I really wanted to like this movie but it couldn't really touch me...:(
February 1, 2014
a bright star that fails to shine
½ January 5, 2014
lovely performance by abbie Cornish in a love story of john keats. only thing which I did not like in the movie was no background and the slowpace of story telling. else witty dialogues keep u entertained . good film to watch when u have patience.
December 25, 2013
I should probably read some Keats. Anyone got any good Keats for beginners suggestions?
½ November 30, 2013
Keats' love letters to Fanny Brawne are probably the greatest ever written, and this film, I think, just about does justice to the lovers and their story. Abbie Cornish is superb as Fanny, Ben Whishaw is also great as Keats.
November 28, 2013
If one knows anything about Keats before seeing this film, watching it is a both exciting and irritating experience. Is the story of John Keats and Fanny Brawne a bit overly romanticized? Most definitely, however, for some reason the usually overly analytical me did not care one bit. Abbie Cornish is purely sensational as the tough Brawne, and there is (despite complaints of it being too cartoonishly brooding,) a quiet power to Ben Whishaw's performance as Keats. With all of this being said, one could actually watch the film on mute and be just as moved. Jane Campion's natural light gives everyone a pale, dewy complexion. Her digital handheld cameras are crisp and superbly refreshing in a period drama. I think I may have just summed up the film, "superbly refreshing take on the period drama." Yeah, that sounds about right.
August 4, 2013
Jane Campion has been declining, or shall I say she only has one piece of good work? The film is surely artistic and the love story could have been emotionally colourful. But it just fails.
August 4, 2013
I like period movies. This one wasn't too bad.
½ July 21, 2013
Beautiful cinematography. Compelling poetic dialogue. The two leads breathe passionate emotions into their characters. A very underrated, yet extraordinarily breathtaking and enthralling 19th century romance film. Definitely worth seeing.
½ June 12, 2013
The love story is engaging, but could have made me feel more.