Brigsby Bear - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Brigsby Bear Reviews

½ December 12, 2017
A touching and unique kind of story which is well worth a watch. Its quirky, its endearing and has a flare all of its own which makes it such a fun adventure which ends with an emotional prose
December 10, 2017
A true testament to imagination and inspiration, Brigsby tackles its main characters complicated predicaments without dumbing then down, much in the same way Captain Fantastic didn't simplify the issues or answers.
Despite tackling issues like moving on and adulthood, Brigsby Bear never loses its charm or humor.
December 9, 2017
Charming, uplifting, and creative. They did a lot with the premise.
December 7, 2017
An intriguing premise is sadly scuppered around the halfway mark when whimsy and sentiment take over. But the core idea - of how a young man whose only real experience has been shaped by TV copes with his sudden discovery of a wider universe - is a fascinating one. Initially at least it's as if Tim Burton and Wes Anderson has collaborated on the script, but sadly it climaxes as a Movie of the Week.
December 6, 2017
Kyle is a legend! Great to see the whole Good Neighbor Stuff crew involved
½ December 5, 2017
A big surprise. So this is about man (Kyle Mooney). He really only has one interest in his life, which is live action children's show Brigsby Bear. When it stops airing out of the blue, he decides to take up the mantle and finish the story. Now I want to tell you this right out of the gates that this is a big case of "the less you know about it, the better". I heard a positive review a while back, added it to my Netflix queue, and then forgot almost everything I had heard about it. By the time it actually came out on home release, all of the specifics had been washed away, so I was able to watch this pretty cold. As far as sleeper movies go, this is one of the very best movies out there that you could take the time with. What really makes this so flooring is that this is actually produced by The Lonely Island guys. I'm not all that familiar with their works, but based on my limited experience, I quite frankly didn't think that they had something like this in them. This isn't raunchy, it's actually quite heartfelt. It is a comedy, and while there are laughs in this to be sure, they are more bittersweet than anything, and this has the tendency to be a sad sort of funny (which is something that appeals to me, personally, on multiple levels). I really like the main character in this as played by Kyle Mooney. The film never comes out directly and says it, but I got the distinct impression that the character he is playing is autistic, which makes it all the more taxing on his mind, given the situation that he is in. In addition to that, rounding this cast out is a number of really great character actors like Matt Walsh, Greg Kinnear and Mark Hamill, and they all end up bringing something to the table with this on an individual level and on the whole. I love the awkward sensibilities that Brigsby Bear has, and I adore the filmmaking aspect to this. As a reviewer, I am put in a very tough spot in that I do sincerely want to sell you on this movie, but I don't want to say too much because so much of what makes this so excellent is in the reveals. If you have the ability to just run with a completely blind positive recommendation, this is the movie of year to do so with.
½ December 3, 2017
This was pretty amazing. I really don't have much to say other than it's a pretty interesting movie. It's very inspiring, very funny, and very heartwarming. This movie and Room are very similar (like the main premise) but really, it's a story about someone who believes/inspired by stories that were simply made for fictional purposes and achieving his dream. It's pretty cool to me. I think the idea of that was very well executed. As a young aspiring filmmaker/film lover myself, it's pretty heartwarming to see that sort of story in a movie. It's pretty cool, really that's all I have to say, lol. I really liked this film a lot.
½ December 1, 2017
There's greatness here, but the undercooked script robs Brigsby of anything but cinematic cavities.
December 1, 2017
Great film, never takes the predictable root.
November 27, 2017
This is an unbelievable movie
There is something so unique and special about Kyle Mooney
and his vision 'Brigsby Bear'
Giving Birth to a New Reality
Greatest Movie Ever
November 26, 2017
The most touching and original feel-good film I've seen all year, "Brigsby Bear" is an offbeat ode to the connection we have to the things we create.
November 24, 2017
Basically a christian film but without Jesus 'n stuff - Harmless fun and nothing more, a basic story about a guy that wanted to make a film. I sure was hoping for a lot more, but I still enjoyed the watch.
November 20, 2017
Brigsby Bear is a one-of-a-kind, uplifting film filled with sincerity. It's quirkiness may turn some audiences away - but it is by far one of the most original films of 2017.
November 20, 2017
Just saw it in a screening... A great difference to what's out there in the theatres. Sweet... Funny and a bit of darkness.
November 20, 2017
Not sure about the tone and whether I really cared about the characters. Would I watch again not sure. Not particularly funny or heart warming more a little glow.
November 18, 2017
Brigsby Bear reminds us that an indie comedy can be genuinely sweet. Perhaps more crucial to its success, Brigsby removes any doubt that sweetness can be genuinely funny.
½ November 18, 2017
An unusual little movie and "earnest" is right, it's refreshing in that way.
November 16, 2017
This is possibly the most unusual film I've seen all year. In a way it's an homage to fandom, creativity and nostalgic call backs in the ever changing nature of one's life. At first I thought it was an unusual world set up by unusual people, only for the main character to then experience a 'Fish out of the Water' scenario, which outdoes Diana Prince's walk into the world of men. Except here, we have a young man who'd been fed a faux kids TV show exclusively produced for no one else, even when trying to adjust to the modern standards of living does he find it in himself to unleash his creative potential. The film's story is overall, an endearing, entertaining and truly outlandish and unique concept that work within it's overarching themes of defining one's place in the world, their creative outlook and what really inspires them. Though at it's heart is it's surrealism able to encapsulate the imagination of all audiences, I even though the cast was superb in their role especially from those not as well known as others. I can't highly recommend this film enough than I already have, it's ability to keep a small spectacle but a larger than life concept is exception and should be experienced one way or another.
November 15, 2017
lots of heart, could use more story
November 15, 2017
the story of the space bear.