Brokeback Mountain - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Brokeback Mountain Reviews

½ May 21, 2017
The character development felt a bit weak and some of the time passing felt a bf choppy. Brokeback Mountain redeems itself with stunning scenery and dedicated performances from Ledger and Gyllenhaal. I think the subject matter might have gotten this one a little more acclaim than it deserved, but still a good film
March 15, 2017
great movie to beat your meat to
March 12, 2017
Superb. We need more films like this!
March 9, 2017
This was a film I have thought about watching for some time, but often decided not to. I was not impressed or disappointed. I was not touched or disgusted. It was simply interesting, and slow paced. The emotions run deep. The drama is a bit strong at times. But the acting was brilliant throughout.
February 28, 2017
Pretty tragic love story. Excellently played by the cast all around. Still though, I find it harder to completely sympathize with these guys over their wives.
February 28, 2017
"a beautiful journey with outstanding performances."
February 27, 2017
Cant stand this film i just didn't feel sorry for any of them
February 18, 2017
This is one of those movies you can't say the name and I'm already crying. A tragic and beautiful love story so well acted.
February 17, 2017
RIP heath... even if you were a gay bowboy
½ February 9, 2017
Yep, you knew youd find me here. Words cant describe this film to me its my muse, I love you richard
½ February 5, 2017
For all its technical subtlety, this is a film with zero human subtlety. Everything is shoved - ever so gently - in your face to make sure that you no chance to have (God forbid) your own ideas and interpretation. You will feel the love and the heartbreak, but it feels planned and calculated to within an inch of insulting.
½ December 28, 2016
Why do you need to see this movie?
1-Ang Lee
2-Ang Lee
3-Ang Lee
½ December 20, 2016
Brokeback Mountain can drag at times like most Westerns and romantic dramas, but its heartfelt story combines with Ang Lee's direction and its two leads make this an absorbing and memorable love story.
November 7, 2016
The chemistry between Gyllenhaal and Ledger, as well as their characters, was phenomenal. I absolutely loved how well the story played out. Everyone played their roles quite well (as expected from an Ang Lee film), and the climactic scene was an absolute thrill. I don't watch a lot of movies, but I'm glad I watched this one.
½ November 3, 2016
Well if there isn't a more diverse director than Ang Lee, maybe the only director who's films vary more would be Richard Linklater, (A Scanner Darkly, Boyhood, Dazed and Confused, School of Rock) or the late great Stanley Kubrick, (The Shining, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Full Metal Jacket). After the overblown, over serious mess of Hulk, Ang Lee has a go at another incredibly serious and incredibly worthy effort in Brokeback Mountain, just on a much lower budget. This time instead of subverting the action comic book movie Ang Lee has a go at subverting the equally serious and bravado filled genre of the western. Y'know I want Ang Lee to go off and make a stoner comedy. See how he likes that.

Based on the eponymous short story by Annie Proulx, Brokeback Mountain follows the forbidden love of two gay cowboys and how they have to suppress their love in order to live. It stars Jake Gyllenhaal, (Donnie Darko, Nightcrawler, Zodiac) and Heath Leger, (The Dark Knight, 10 Things I Hate About You) as the gay cowboys amid a fine supporting cast that includes Anne Hathaway, Kate Mara, and David Harbour. It was actually quite entertaining to see people who have since gone on to bigger and better roles and think 'oh that went on to do that thing, like House of Cards, Stranger Things, and um... Fantastic Four'.

The real star of this film though is Ang Lee. His auterial fingers are all over this one. It's got the same trade mark sort of natural beauty and landscape poetry that we saw in things like Life of Pi and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, and it's got the kind of worthy, sedentary pace we've come to expect from him, as well as the sort of outsider's eye to american genres that he's shown in other works. Aside from that it's clearly a very technically minded and stylish film, and technically it is very well made. Ang Lee wanted to show off and he did, but in a way that's also the problem. There is a degree of detachment to this film that stops you getting really emotionally involved. Watching it, I feel one removed from what's happening on screen in front of me. Now, to take a film like Drive, that's a film with a plot that wouldn't necessarily have you emotionally involved, but the high professionals sheen and style serves to get you involved. Whereas I feel in this film the high style of it only served to detach me from a story that I would otherwise naturally be emotionally involved in. It is a very involving story, and I did feel for the characters, (Heath Leger in the leading role truly shines in a very understated performance, died too young), but at the same time I felt like an outsider looking in, very much like Ang Lee himself is, instead of being truly into the story. There's something about how wiggy is is, something about the performances in some roles that doesn't quite gel. I would have preferred Ang Lee to focus on the essentials that convince you of the world instead of how to capture a nice shot, or the hair and make up for the period setting.

I feel like now I need to talk about Jake Gyllenhaal. His has this underlying creepiness, this sort of gaunt visage that he played perfectly in Nightcrawler, but here, he's kind of miscast as the live wire romantic of the couple. He comes across as disingenuous and his liveliness is honestly more irritating because he just doesn't make it seem natural.

In the end Brokeback Mountain is a very solid film, but it lacks the emotional involvement to elevate it to something great.
½ October 8, 2016
This is the best 2005 could produce? Then it certainly deserved best picture. Nothing against gays, but this was a tolerable performance of a gay couple separated by responsibility to others.
July 31, 2016
A terrific film. Both Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal were fantastic. I thought this was Heath Ledger's best acting spot (didn't are for his Joker portrayal). The ending was sad since Jake's character died and the two of them couldn't live happily ever after with each other.
July 25, 2016
It's fabulous baby!!! Hahaha no homo
½ July 25, 2016
The cowboy aspect I wasn't all into and it took me almost an hour to really be invested in this movie but the back half is so incredible and in the end I was appreciative of the film as a whole and it really covers some topics that I've never seen on screen before and moved me deeply.
July 23, 2016
This movie was great more for characterization and choice in characters rather than plot. It is slow but the detailed scenes (like art to an artist) and crafted raw passion between two men make it up. I see GBLT movies, and the directors usually find (on purpose or not) a male stereotypical looking "feminine" woman
to balance the other person who is stereotypically male. I guess to save face that there should be male and female roles even in homosexual relationships. In Brokeback Mountain, I did not see this at all. These men did not have anything that I would say is bias as with other homosexual oriented media. The only thing that was a little off was the "moon in the sky" and references to sin. Though that is so little compared to the characters and their acting.

This is a movie more for the art than anything else. A film lover or one that has a passion for film making through the artist eyes would find appreciation in this movie. Others not so much since it doesn't build up to the plot to lighten the effect of the first erotic scene. That, and I think the erotic scene may put a raw impression on the future intimacy scenes.

Again, characterization, art, and attention to detail was perfect.

I recommend it for anyone who can see passed media's perspective on homosexual relationships.