Brokeback Mountain - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Brokeback Mountain Reviews

October 29, 2017
A strong dramatic love story.
October 25, 2017
Wonderful actings, moving story, well accomplished plot twist, and absolute non of the usual lgbt cliches, its completely fascinating.
October 17, 2017
17.10.2017

Emocionante.
September 14, 2017
The pacing at times slows down to a crawl. I never felt the story really got anywhere. Some of the acting was subpar. Yes, I'm looking at you, Jake Gyllenhaal and Anne Hathaway.

But perhaps I'm being unfair in comparing all the other actors to Heath Ledger. I was only familiar with Ledger from his lightweight movies so I had no expectations from him going into this film. My mind was totally blown away by his performance. His acting was so beautiful and natural. For instance at the end of the film he's playing a man old enough to have a teenage daughter. In any other Hollywood movie they would have slapped a grey wig on him and painted some wrinkles on his face. Here he just ACTED old and I totally bought it.

If I had to recommend this film to anyone it would be solely for Heath Ledger's performance. This is the role he should have gotten an Academy Award for, not The Dark Knight.
½ September 6, 2017
The story of a forbidden and secretive relationship between two cowboys, and their lives over the years. An excellent story that has the best elements for a well-deserved Academy Award best picture... Unfortunately it did not came to be, but barely. Crash is not that good and this is one of the best romance films of all time, and the best LGBT film in recent years.
September 3, 2017
Thanks Ang Lee, thank you for telling us one of the most beautiful forbidden love stories of all time. As some said in the 2017 documentary "I Am Heath Ledger", "it was unthinkable having a story about two gay cowboys before "Brokeback Mounain"". An epic and touching story about love and the imporatnce of not contradicting our feelings. Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal shined in their respectives roles, this movie couldn't be better, it is a perfect movie and it deserved to be considered one of Ang Lee's best works.
August 23, 2017
Both Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal give incredible performances in this heartbreaking tale of two gay lovers and their wanting to be with each other
½ August 18, 2017
There's an apparent graceful mastery from Ang Lee's direction with a touch of beauty in the score, cinematography, and the performances from the main pair to fire up the dramatic narrative. Unfortunately, the film faltered from the meaningless trigger that affected the storyline because of something that wasn't much developed. Lee's attempt to break barrier by exploring sexuality is decent but should've gone subtle than being abrupt by omitting uncomfortable scenes that acted upon the lack of development towards the said trigger as they're instead invasions of privacy that didn't permitted to be viewed since it came out of the blue with no meaning. Simply, it's good but Ang Lee's attempt to break ground turned against his own film. (B)

(Full review TBD)
½ August 3, 2017
I really don"t get it. I was bored to death throughout this movie.
July 1, 2017
It is the 1st movie in my personal TOP 10 favorite movies. It was so warm and emotional. It had been a long time since I cried in a movie. If I ever had the time and the chance, I would DEFINETELY watch it again.
½ June 25, 2017
Great acting ! A very emotionnal movie about impossible love.
June 24, 2017
A sad movie about forbidden love. i love the soundtrack
June 20, 2017
A very powerful film about love. Jake Gyllenhaal's character wants to be with the person he loves and he doesn't care what anyone else thinks. Heath Ledgers character is also in love, but he is the other side, he doesn't want anyone to know he is gay which fills his life full of regret.
June 20, 2017
A superb romantic drama featuring solid performances, especially from Ledger, and excellent direction from Lee. The complexity of the relationships between various characters, including both physical and emotional, is one of the movie's strengths. Also featuring some beautiful and fitting music, this is my favourite film of 2005. AAN GGWD. 1001
June 6, 2017
a brave film with good performances that leaves you depressed at the end these mens whole lives were wasted living a lie to fit into what society deems the correct way to live its just a waste
½ May 21, 2017
The character development felt a bit weak and some of the time passing felt a bf choppy. Brokeback Mountain redeems itself with stunning scenery and dedicated performances from Ledger and Gyllenhaal. I think the subject matter might have gotten this one a little more acclaim than it deserved, but still a good film
March 15, 2017
great movie to beat your meat to
March 12, 2017
Superb. We need more films like this!
March 9, 2017
This was a film I have thought about watching for some time, but often decided not to. I was not impressed or disappointed. I was not touched or disgusted. It was simply interesting, and slow paced. The emotions run deep. The drama is a bit strong at times. But the acting was brilliant throughout.
February 28, 2017
Pretty tragic love story. Excellently played by the cast all around. Still though, I find it harder to completely sympathize with these guys over their wives.