Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Reviews

½ May 30, 2017
Perhaps it's because I watched the movie back when it was first released, but I've always felt it was unfair to suggest that this movie isn't worth watching "because TV show". I mean for pete's sake, it's got Rutger Hauer, Donald Sutherland and Paul Reubens, all chewing up the scenery in huge chunks! Reubens in particular delights me. His "kill him a lot!" line has been an internal catch phrase that pops up in my head whenever I'm having a bad day and someone comes along to make it even worse. And one scene of his (which includes an after-credits scene as well, so stick around) is one of my favorite scenes in a movie ever. I'd call this show a guilty pleasure but I don't actually feel guilty. It's silly, ridiculous, very very 90s, and fun as hell.
May 20, 2017
This could have been something really quite brilliant. Something that occupied the space between where it is now (I'm going for 'Dude, Where's My Car' territory) and the TV series, but it misfires completely.
What we've ended up with is fun, but unfortunately not fun enough for repeat viewings, so basically, it's now just a poor relation to Sarah Michelle Gellar's version.
January 25, 2017
It was great. I loved it. Yas slay.
½ December 23, 2016
Cheerleader as the chosen one to fight vampires in California. Tone for the film is vastly different than the series. Sarah Michelle was fine, but Kristy will always be the original Buffy. Good comic relief from School Administrator Gary Murray.
August 3, 2016
The show was better. Too bad the show ended.
June 30, 2016
Buffy the Vampire Slayer was a comedic bloodless horror movie that was so poorly executed it came off funny for all of the wrong reasons. Poor costumes, poor acting, poor writing. Only memorable because of the better quality television show that sprung from it. Rating: 6 / 10
½ June 22, 2016
That was bad... but really bad. Maybe because I'm crazy about Buffy the tv show and this thing is nothing compared to it.
C'était vraiment un mauvais film. Peut-être parce que j'adore la série Buffy contre les vampires et que ce film fait pitié en comparaison.
½ May 17, 2016
silly movie, not sure why I watched it
½ January 25, 2016
Dès les premières secondes, on a tout de suite compris dans quoi on s'est lancé. Buffy The Vampire Slayer est un teen movie 90s comme les fans les aiment, avec des costumes outranciers, des dialogues datés, des performances hallucinées (Paul Reubens est incroyable en bras droit du bad guy Rutger Hauer, Donald Sutherland est très suave) et une romance niaise qui couvre le sujet principal. Mais Buffy The Vampire Slayer est conscient de ce qu'il est et ne prend absolument rien au sérieux. Cela permet à Kristy Swanson, Luke Perry et David Arquette d'être particulièrement hilarants et au film d'être divertissant de bout en bout. Pour les non-initiés à la série de Joss Whedon, Buffy the Vampire Slayer est un bonheur.
January 17, 2016
Don't compare it to the TV show. This spoof of classic teen horror movies stands on its own. With Kristy Swanson as the reluctant slayer who would rather go bargain hunting than vampire hunting and Luke Perry as her amiably befuddled guy friend, Buffy's great cast is only outdone by its slick writing and quick comebacks. If you're not into all of that, Paul Reubens (Pee Wee Herman) is marvelously funny as the vampire henchman.
October 8, 2015
This is just plain bad.
½ August 6, 2015
I rated it higher than I would have simply because it spawned the TV series.
½ August 4, 2015
Yeah, it's pretty bad, but some of the cheese ifs fun.
½ June 8, 2015
Not a bad comedy, but this film in no way indicates what a great show the spin off TV series would become. Joss Whedon wrote the film's script, though disowned the end result after many changes were made, mostly lightening up his much darker vision, but he brought his vision to television with wild success and ended up making one of the greatest TV series of all time. There are certainly elements in this film that would later be a part of the TV series, but overall this film is a pretty lightweight, slapsticky comedy. Kristi Swanson helps the film a great deal by being incredibly likable as Buffy (not Buffy Summers, since no last name was given in the film). It would be pretty easy for a vapid valley girl to be annoying, but like Alicia Silverstone in "Clueless," Swanson does a fine job of making the audience want to root for this character. But on the downside, most of the characters are paper thin, with no real depth and the comedy is only sporadically funny. The dialogue did not seem nearly as clever as it did in the TV series. It's somewhat unfair to constantly compare this film to the TV series, but it's impossible to separate the two. The film is filled with solid actors (Donald Sutherland, Paul Reubens, Rutger Hauer,, Hilary Swank, David Arquette, Stephen Root, and Candy Clark), though none of them really do much that's of interest outside of an over the top vampire performance by Reubens. In uncredited appearances, Ben Affleck is apparently in the film as "Basketball Player #10" as are Alexis Arquette as Vampire DJ and Seth Green as a Vampire.
May 27, 2015
It's amazing how something so terrible lead to a fantastic tv show. The movie gets one star for the laughs from seeing some of decent actors in ridiculous roles.
½ May 16, 2015
Before Joss Whedon was given creative control of his story via TV
½ April 28, 2015
Why did I wait so long to see this? Probably so I could re-appreciate the 90's long after they ended. "Kill him a lot"
½ March 24, 2015
How the hell did this spawn a hit TV show?
March 19, 2015
This brings me back to childhood. A hundred times better than TV Show.