Bug - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bug Reviews

November 27, 2016
Pretty fun little horror/drama. Darkly comedic, too? Haha... surprisingly good.
October 20, 2016
Horrifying and claustrophobic with stellar performances by Michael Shannon and Ashley Judd. It is restricted by being chiefly a play set to film, but a very good one at that. Friedkin holds no punches, and there were moments I had to look away from the screen because the action was so off-putting. But the actors/characters matched the drama and I believed them the whole time.
September 11, 2016
A psychological horror / thriller with a low-budget cast who all put in very impressive performances. If you have a phobia of insects then this is a film to scare the life out of you. Otherwise, it's not a scary film but it is somewhat disturbing.
August 9, 2016
This movie is total govt propaganda. Everything that the character Peter tells Agnes is the actual truth, yet it's wrapped around a supposed "delusional schizophrenic" to make it seem like whoever says these things is just plain crazy. Take from it what you will, but that's what I saw.
July 30, 2016
If you ask me, William Friedkin is a criminally overlooked director and even when his name comes up, it's often related to "The Exorcist" and that's a shame because, while he had his share of flops, overall, he "aged" better than the likes of John Carpenter and even Wes Craven.
Actually, come to think of it - and I know I might be inviting scorn from some horror fans - "The Exorcist" is far from showcasing this director's skill. Yes, it's a well made film, but I found it nowhere near as scary or as effective as it is claimed to be.
It's not as well crafted as "Carrie", nor as frightening as "The Serpent and the rainbow", nor is it as disturbing and unpleasant as "Texas Chainsaw Massacre".
And while "Bug" is not a horror film, it does a far better job in showcasing his directorial skills. The camerawork is great and the story, while far from being original, is properly rendered(even if it offers a rather lousy ending), the performances are solid and, most important, the resulting film is not just another silicone product on the market.
Within the past twenty years or so, there have been dozens of films tackling on "conspiracist" grounds.
But few of them chose to dissect their mechanisms instead of wallowing in their juicy narratives. And "Bug" does just that. It takes your casual conspiracy theory(in this case, one involving bugs) and dissects it. Only it doesn't do it in the academical way(fortunately. Otherwise, it would have really been a tedious experience). There is no strong rational side here, cause there is no need for that: it would have gotten in the way without offering much help.
Instead we watch Peter play out his conspiratorial fantasy, we watch that unfold, we see how it works and how, pretty much like a parasite, moves on to another vessel. Cause this is what happens in the end.
Conspiracies often take basic inconvenient truths and exacerbate them to the point where they catch apocalyptic proportions. And they do this by using narratives, because people are suckers for narratives. This is how they get to so many. Every good conspiracy theory, no matter how crazy and illogical is, in the end, offers a juicy narrative. It's a psychological con-job. And this is where "Bug" shines, in how accurate its depiction is. And for this alone, the sloppy ending is forgivable.

My two cents: 4 out of 5.
June 8, 2016
This may come from the director of "The Exorcist," so people classify it as a horror film, but don't expect a boogeyman to jump out and go "boo!" or a machete wielding maniac to hack up a few horny teenagers. No, this horror is the absolute worst kind of horror that any human being, in or outside the cinema, can experience: psychological. The mind can imagine horrors worse than any monster or movie maniac. The basic plot is this: an abused waitress living in a hole in the wall motel in Oklahoma opens her door to a nice guy drifter. What starts out as a meet-cute between a traumatized woman (her son went missing years ago and her abusive ex is out on parole) and a sensitive man soon descends into a chaotic madness that has them (and us) questioning the very fabric of reality. It's such a fantastically terrifying journey that you won't believe how it all ends. I normally don't care for Ashley Judd, but she plays her character, a damaged soul who hides her pain and loneliness behind a mixture of drugs, booze, and sarcasm, to absolute perfection. Michael Shannon is so intense every second he's on screen, you can't take your eyes off him. Suave jazz singer and Broadway star Harry Connick Jr successfully transforms himself into a low down, white trash, woman beating sumbitch. The minimalist direction of Friedkin really amplifies the mounting tension and unbearable agony of the story. So, as long as you're not going into this horror movie expecting a gory slasher flick or any of the usual business, you will be pleasantly surprised and left quite scared.
May 9, 2016
William Friedkin proves that he can still make a great film even in as he gets older, with this claustrophobic drama about a alcoholic/drug-addicted lonely woman that lost her son and is fearing the return of convict ex-husband, who befriends a quiet drifter...but their friendship takes bizarre turns when it turns out the drifter is possibly a paranoid and delusional veteran. It is a fine little film that mostly takes place in one small location, and really rides on the fantastic performances of Ashley Judd and Michael Shannon. They are both tremendous as he becomes increasingly erratic and she falls deeper and deeper into his delusions.
½ March 18, 2016
Ashley Judd can play any role. But I still am not sure why I watched this movie...
½ February 13, 2016
A really captivating thriller with outstanding career best performances from Ashely Judd, Michael Shannon (tied with 99 Homes), and surprisingly even Harry Conick Jr. William Friedkin has really gone into this underrated indie director group which is odd being the director of The French Connection and The Exorcist. He does a really excellent job directing this as does Tracy Letts adapting his own play to screen. It may go off the rails towards the end but the chaos of the movie is part of its charm. The cinematography, sound, and production design are also excellent. Really enjoyed this and hope to see the play version one day
January 16, 2016
Bug is a rather disturbing movie with good intentions and great performances by its leads, but it's final minutes may have viewers puzzled and angry.
½ January 14, 2016
The whole time watching I thought to myself, "This would make a really great stage play", until I realized during the credits that it was, in fact, based on the screenwriter's very own play! So I guess that's what the film feels like. Great dialogue, compelling characters and the acting is phenomenal. Ashley Judd and Michael Shannon work wonders together and make Bug come alive. The other thing I should mention is that Bug is NOT a horror movie. It's a creepy, psychological drama which touches on some very interesting topics.
½ October 30, 2015
Interesting psychedelic movie with outstanding male and female performanes.But too predictable and contrived.
½ October 25, 2015
superb. incredible build. so much delusion and paranoia. great unnerving sound effects. masterful film by a master. a tiny bit long, but boom, so good. my kinda flick.
Robert B.
½ September 28, 2015
Bug is an odd film that I want to uprate because it is so different and features some intense acting, but cannot because not enough actually happens. Although it is not a very scary, violent, or graphic film, I would class it as a kind of psychological drama horror. It is reminiscent of both "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf" and "American Hustle" in a weird way. Recommended mainly to those with a keen interest in the psychological.
½ September 17, 2015
pure government propaganda to make it seem people that question government authority are insane tweeker crack heads who think bugs live inside them and are dangerous delusional psychotic drugged out insane bat shit crack fiends. When yes some delusional people really do exist but government corruption is way more prevalent then most people think. At the very end of this long awful weird movie. weirdo peter talks about a few things which are true, the builderberg meetings which take place ever 4 years this a well known fact and depopulation, thats been written about by our current science czar john p holdren in the book ecoscience and a couple of other topics which he briefly mentions with some made up ones to are just fluff filler to add into the movie to cover up the truth by adding a load of crap ontop of the truth making it unappealing to look at. Government propaganda in movies has been around for centuries and is nothing new, the only thing similar between countries is the people of its country are for some reason never able to see through the guise to understand its propaganda. For example we can look at north korea and see their propaganda and say wow what a bunch of brainwashed idiots how could they fall for such simple deceptions, but when it comes to our own brainwashing people fail to believe that its happening to them, and historically its always been like that. Now in terms of the movie the actors did a good job but the plot and the storylines and the dialogue are awful too much rambling for too long with too much nonsense and insanity all mushed together. But I personally think its done just to establish a new made up criteria with no scientific evidence that crazy people are people that dont mindlessly trust government and although they can seem to be smart, like peter making a wide range of connections and showing that girl that bugs were in his teeth the movie eludes that see just becomes brainwashed within his delusions Even though she never had been diagnosed with a mental disorder herself eluding to what they want you to think is that paranoid government conspiracy can appear to be smart on the surface but really they are just crazy pyshcatic people who can brainwash some people into believing in their insane theories but if you do believe in the theories with them you will end up living like insane animals jumping at everything. When the truth is the government does alot of fucked up shit Tuskgee experiments where the government experimented on black men with brain eating syphilis , the gulf of tunkee where the government blew up one of their own ships and blamed it on a another country, JFK where the warren commission claimed a magic bullets hit Kennedy, and it just goes on and on and on. Ultra MLK in which bill clinton came out and aploigized for experimenting on people with the cia. These are all things if you are too stupid to have read about have no excuse today with the internet you can find this information has already come out and is admitted by the government already its not debatable its admitted. The excuse that you just didnt have time to find it out or read about it is now void because of the internet its only stupid and ignorance that allows corruption to flowerish and movies like this are made with the full intent to give you the predisposition that anyone who thinks critically of government is a paranoid moonbat tin foil hat wearing drugged out tweeker when that couldnt be further from the truth which is that must conspiracy theorist are smarter and more logically than the average dumbed down citizen. Also the who tin foil hat thing has been exposed as well, its call ELF weapons, just google DR robert Duncan and or watch the show brain invaders by jesse ventura and be prepared to enter the world of science fiction reality these weapons have existed for a long time and are now admitted to exist by the very developers like Robert Duncan once again proving the harsh reality that films like this are just propaganda. If you are having trouble believing me get on google and have fun
½ August 18, 2015
Sooooo not what I expected, but in a pretty great way... I think. Bug is a bit slow and "talky" and that works at times... however, once you reach act three, prepare for the shit to hit the fan.
August 4, 2015
well shit... never a bad decision to watch a Friedkin film...
July 27, 2015
It is not exactly a horror film. It's more like a psychological thriller. I did enjoy the over-the-top performances because it's the only thing it has going for it. The story is very mysterious to the point of excess, which made me not care what happened to the characters in the end; the tone of it, though very versatile, felt forced at times; and none of the characters are relatable. Don't even get me started with the political implications. Still, I like the film a bit because, most of the time, we are in one room observing three people or less interact. The film does not offer easy answers to our questions. I personally think it would have elevated the film if they did. Still, this is not a bad movie. It's just very in-your-face and unintentionally comedic.
½ July 22, 2015
This creepy little film will really get under your skin. Stellar performances
½ June 3, 2015
Bug, directed by The Exorcist/The French Connection legend William Friedkin, is a masterpiece, a frightening romance about two of the most paranoid, fu**ed up people in the world! The movie is stylish and beyond disturbing. Michael Shannon is terrifying. This is one of my favorite horror films.