Bullitt - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bullitt Reviews

½ September 28, 2016
More iconic than it is a true classic...yet it holds your attention, even if by the end you're not entirely sure why. It really boils down to great direction, a great star and a memorable car chase. The story is fine but not particularly exceptional. It's a good movie.
August 6, 2016
Five stars for the car chase alone. The rest of the movie is a bonus.
July 27, 2016
While it is often remembered only for the car chase, Bullitt is an old-fashioned, hard-boiled, thrilling action/mystery flick.

Best scene: Airport chase
½ July 5, 2016
Steve McQueen at his coolest playing San Francisco police detective Frank Bullitt, who is on a mission to find a crime kingpin who killed a witness under his protection. Besides McQueen being Steve McQueen-cool, the film features what many consider the all-time greatest car chase scene, which very well may be true.
½ June 29, 2016
Boring film is saved by the second-best car-chase scene ever made (next to the 1974 Gone in 60 Seconds).
½ June 28, 2016
classic action
steve mcqueen's badass!!
May 26, 2016
Bullitt made it possible for guys like me to kick ass & take names while wearing a turtleneck or cardigan. Thank you, Steve McQueen.
½ May 23, 2016
Maybe I'm an idiot, but I completely lost what was happening with the plot after the car chase (I seriously had no idea why the guy on the plane was running away) and I didn't think it maintained the energy of its first half enough to compensate for my confusion. But man, that first half is fucking cool as hell. Sometimes it's just fun watching a cold-as-ice professional do work, even if Bullitt's recklessness ended up killing a bunch of people. The moment when the guy in the Charger stops at the intersection, calmly buckles his seatbelt, and then smashes the pedal to the floor...incredible.
½ May 14, 2016
Bad ass movie. Steve McQueen being a fucking bad ass. Bad ass car chases. Peter Yates being bad ass before he decided to make Krull, which was bad ass in a bad way. Not much wrong with this movie. Totally see Guy Ritchie watching this as a kid and knowing these are the type of movies he wants to make when he gets older. Good concept, good execution.
½ March 4, 2016
Why does this seem overrated to me? I expected more than a simple detective film, with a famous car chase around San Francisco. Perhaps it was one of the first of many, I have seen it described as groundbreaking. Don't get me wrong, the film is alright, but it's certainly not Steve McQueen at his best.
February 11, 2016
Signs you might be watching a movie made in the 1960s:
1. Sparse San Francisco traffic allows for a high-speed car chase through downtown in the middle of the day.
2. Police officers anxiously crowd around a "telecopier" waiting for it print out a low resolution photograph of a suspect at an agonizingly slow pace.
3. A criminal attempts to flee the country by purchasing a last minute ticket on an international flight at the gate.
4. The flight is operated by Pan Am.
5. The criminal has no difficulty bringing his gun on board.
6. Nobody considers locking down the airport or stopping planes from taking off after a shootout occurs on the runway.
January 10, 2016
Rating: 8.7/10 A self-aware, brilliantly-edited, superbly-shot and satisfyingly-executed movie that keeps your eyes fixed to the screen and leaves you sweating bullets till the end credits. Although it slows down from time to time, and some scenes drag a few seconds too long, and an ending that leaves a few questions unanswered, the rest of the movie is more than enough to compensate for them. "Bullitt" is a film that future filmmakers must see and study, and movie-lovers to experience. It is a crime flick with a brain. Don't miss it.
January 8, 2016
It's Steve McQueen & probably the best car chase in movie history...enough said.
November 29, 2015
Great car chases and Steve McQueen, what else does a movie really need?
November 22, 2015
Very well produced. Great movie, fantastic angles and shots.
October 12, 2015
Greatest car chase scene ever?
September 25, 2015
Excellent stylish 60s action drama.
½ September 23, 2015
I didn't watch this movie as a kid so I have no nostalgic biased opinion. Bullit was straight cheesy. I'm sure it was awesome in its day, but seriously...? The airplane scene when Steve McQueen jumped under the airplane was totally unnecessary. The conversation with his girl after she witnessed a dead body was stupid. It was still fun and I'm glad I finally saw it.
½ July 11, 2015
McQueen is one cool dude.
½ June 17, 2015
Great crime drama, with a fantastic car chase scene. Possibly McQueens best work.