Bullitt - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bullitt Reviews

November 12, 2017
The ultimate car chase with no soundtrack, just the roar of a 1968 390 V8 Ford Mustang GT Fastback (325 hp). And the ultimate cool Steve McQueen.
October 23, 2017
Despite a fantastically intense car chase in San Francisco and its photogenic protagonist in Steve McQueen, 'Bullit' surprisingly did not entertain me and though it's cool looking, it is perhaps not as easily engaging than it looks like. More interesting for McQueen than for the cinema itself to me, Yates's 'Bullit' probably set the template for numerous action films to come, but nevertheless remains not as fun as I thought it would be.
½ September 17, 2017
Good movie. Steve McQueen is spot on. Story is a little confusing - but doesn't matter too much. Great car chase scene (watch for green VW Bug - shows up several times.
July 30, 2017
Some good actors but basically just a car chase with some slow dialogue thrown in
July 24, 2017
There's a scene in Bullit that perfectly epitomises the entire film, in which Steve McQueen coldly and blankly stares into a mirror. He stands and stares searching within himself for anything other than the rigorous cop that stares right back at him and he finds nothing, simply accepting his fate, washes his hands and gets on with his life. Their is no doubt that Yates film is the cooler, older and more stylish sibling of Friedkin's The French Connection but while the latter is frantic the former is a slower and more complex thriller. The car chase is a thing of true beauty, engine roars and gear changers strike with the help of a raw organic soundtrack with no score is simply breakthaking. The finale - a tense and suspense filled trauma of justice at any cost, clearly homaged by Mann's cop thriller Heat, is a fantastic example of once again the pacing and structure of a fabulous edit.
July 7, 2017
With Edgar Wright's Baby Driver being a great film that was also clearly influenced by earlier films and since I couldn't make the BFI special Car Car Land that showed several of those influences I thought I would go through some of them myself with Bullitt being the first. I have always loved this film and for more than the excellent car chase that was a first in cinema with how it was filmed and how it thrilled. It also has a solid cast with McQueen being the king of cool, it is edited really well, I like the score but I also love that they don't overuse it (the decision to have no score during the car chase for instance was a brilliant move), the rest of the action is good with the violence being way more realistic than you would expect from a police procedural thriller of the time and though the script could be deeper the plot is nonetheless engrossing.
June 14, 2017
If there is any one of his many movie roles that best exemplifies the McQueen persona, it would have to be this one.
½ June 4, 2017
The word "classic" is thrown around a lot and many people use it as a term that just means "something old." To me, classic means something that has gone down in the past and will be remembered in some form or another. Bullitt is definitely a classic film in my eyes, not just because it's an old film, but due to the fact that it has an incredibly engaging array of characters and the action sequences are some of the best ever put to film. Quite often you will hear film buffs exclaiming the best films of all time to be that of Back to the Future, Jurassic Park, Citizen Kane, The Godfather, or anything else that is valid in pop culture, but some of the other films that should truly be remembered as classics only have a small fan base that remembers it or even discovers it. Bullitt is one of the overlooked classics that needs the spotlight treatment once again. Here is why this film still holds up today.

Although there are quite a few scenes dealing with investigations and paperwork, making the overall film feel more like a procedural television show than anything, Bullitt always manages to keep you engaged with likeable characters and a great screenplay, for what it's worth. Hired to protect a witness to a crime, police officer Frannk Bullitt makes it his mission to hunt down the murderer after the failure of his initial job in keeping the man safe. When this film gets moving, it doesn't let up and that just goes to show how entertaining films will always be entertaining, no matter how much time passes since their theatrical release.

Film fans and critics across the world have been talking about the long climactic chase sequence to be one of the best in the history of cinema, and don't let that hype ruin this portion of the film, because there is a reason it's talked so highly about. Bullitt single-handedly has one of the best car chases ever, bar none. It honestly has to be seen to be believed. That being said, that chase isn't the only impressive thing this film has to offer. From gun fights to chases on foot under planes on an airport runway, everything about this film would've been done with CGI these days, but I don't believe there was a single special effect present anywhere in this film. Practicality was second nature to director Peter Yates and actor Steve McQueen, and it shows in spades when you watch the final product.

Yes, the dialogue and action-packed moments are truly what make this film as incredible as it is, and as much as I will defend that this film has great pacing, there are undeniably too many scenes with two characters conversing. This makes the overall film feel the whole two hours that it is. This is the only drawback that I faced when watching this film, but that's easily forgivable, because it was clear that they were going for the procedural feel in order to blow audiences away once they reached the big moments in the film. for that reason, I have no problem giving some of the pacing a pass. This is a great film from start to finish.

In the end, Bullitt offers much more than just a procedural story with great action, because the deep character study into the mind of Frank Bullitt is really what puts this film over the edge in terms of quality entertainment. This is a film that I can easily recommend to adults of any age and it still welcomes the young film lovers of today who want to discover the best films from the past. This is one of the all-time classics in my personal opinion. It does have a few small issues, but the sheer impressiveness of the overall film makes me want to revisit it over and over again. Bullitt is fantastic entertainment.
½ May 29, 2017
great car chase but other than that not a lot happened
May 27, 2017
A tight cars and crime thriller that is plenty brooding, expertly directed, and twisty, though not as thoroughly actiony as one might like.
½ May 21, 2017
Supposedly a classic, I can't say I agree. Half of it is actually really boring. A crime-mystery-thriller with a pretty good car chase(probably the best part of the movie) in between, beyond that there's not really much else. Average at best.
½ May 4, 2017
With hardly any dialogue I had a hard time watching this movie. I wasn't really interested in whatever was going on. It's confusing, dull and overrated. The car chase scene that people rave about is nothing special. (First and only viewing - 11/23/2014)
½ April 15, 2017
Veracious in its procedure, velocious in its action, "Bullitt" is a subtle but seminal police drama from 1968 and features a powerhouse performance from Robert Vaughn as the eventual antagonist to Steve McQueen's cool-headed Lt. Frank Bullitt. All players here are on form with Jaqueline Bisset providing the human touch amongst the film's theme of protocol. Many films after would take inspiration from several aspects of "Bullitt", yet few, if any, have matched all those aspects in one film or certain aspects - for example, the car chase - through the streets of San Francisco - at all.
April 12, 2017
Pretty slow and boring, could have been a silent film, very little dialogue but well made, good cinematography and direction, with a cool serious look.
½ March 31, 2017
The car chase alone makes it worth it, but there is so much more. From beginning to end a brilliant gritty story. One of McQueen's greatest legendary roles. My fantasy car is a mustang fastback like his.
March 24, 2017
Although slightly boring, very realistic.
½ February 15, 2017
McQueen plays it Uber cool, pulling it off as usual, and the car chase centerpiece really is great, but the movie around it is just kind of bare and hollow. There's a fairly interesting story, but it's not pulled off as strongly as people like to pretend. I think people are just hung up on how awesome that chase is, and want desperately for the rest of the movie to be equally good.
½ December 21, 2016
For it's age it's quite entertaining. Security was a bit lax in airports back in the day. Good chase scenes and a reasonable plot that I kind of half understood even though was barely watching the detail. Not bad.
½ September 28, 2016
More iconic than it is a true classic...yet it holds your attention, even if by the end you're not entirely sure why. It really boils down to great direction, a great star and a memorable car chase. The story is fine but not particularly exceptional. It's a good movie.
August 6, 2016
Five stars for the car chase alone. The rest of the movie is a bonus.