Burlesque - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Burlesque Reviews

½ November 26, 2016
worst movie of all time
½ November 8, 2016
Okay, so I got kinda rooked into this with a group of family, but it was somewhat entertaining, i that the earnestness and cornball pathos of it are kinda funny and the women look amazing, so it's a perfectly harmless way to kill an hour and a half.

Rental? Maybe?
October 31, 2016
You can't know This light hearted good time film. Yes it's campy, yes it's cliched, but hey, that's sometimes what you want.
September 26, 2016
Love this movie. Great casting on everyone. Surprised by Cher.
½ September 22, 2016
Honestly, there was nothing redeeming about this movie so I don't even know why I gave it a full star-and-a-half. I guess Aguilera tries hard and doesn't come out of this looking horrible but everything else about this film is half-baked and lazy. There's barely anything "burlesque" about this entire movie as it just ends up amounting to Christina doing a bunch of songs that she would normally do. What was up with Cher's awful solo number? Or Christina's incredibly bad wig (before she was asked to start wearing a wig in the film...yeah..)? Or how about Alan Cumming's ridiculously stupid musical number where he goes head-first into a woman's crotch and makes a "P.U." face and then everyone in the audience thinks it's the funniest fucking thing they've ever heard.

Also... the WORST SEX SCENE IN ANY MOVIE EVER.

Like I said, Aguilera is decent and that's about it. How this turd ended up getting nominated for Golden Globes I will NEVER understand.
August 30, 2016
Love everything about this movie. Great songs, fantastic dances, what could be better?
August 28, 2016
Rotten tomatoes gave this a rotten review. The music is Exceptional and that in and of itself makes the movie worth the time to watch.
August 24, 2016
Loved it- I'm a sucker for Christina's voice and Cher is amazing it whatever she does. It's cheesy as hell but perfect for a movie night in with the girls.
August 9, 2016
Amazing movie with Christina Aguilera's Legendary Voice !
August 8, 2016
I watched this because it was featured on the podcast "How Did This Get Made?" While it is definitely not good, it is not as bad as I thought it would be. The story and dialogue are cheesy, but I enjoyed the dancing.
July 21, 2016
Critics seemingly just didn't want to like this movie from the very get.....Before any screenings, it was quick judgements. Maybe it was due to the lead role being filled by an "outsider," Aguilera, who a widely known vocalist/pop singer & not an actress. I personally enjoyed this movie & catch it every time it comes on television, which is fairly often now. Christina, although the part didn't call for her to have to stretch herself too far, did a good job, given the role. She held the leading role well & I feel she was believable as the character. It's difficult when a person is solely known for a single attribute or talent & Christina has certainly put her mark in Hollywood as a musician/singer with longevity. Overall, I enjoy seeing this movie, repeatedly, it's entertaining & the cast is full of really good talent. The musical numbers are really good, the choreography, the songs, all good. It's worth watching.
½ July 3, 2016
Just awful. No redeeming qualities. There is no hook, and the result is something comparable to watching paint dry, if the paint were full of distracting plastic surgery. So many irrelevant musical numbers, I started fast forwarding through them. 2 HOURS?! It really wants to be Moulin Rouge. It isn't.
March 29, 2016
I want to see this movie....
½ February 19, 2016
With Christina Aguilera's big voice and big bosom, what's not to like? The story is not fresh, but works on its own level - mortgage problems at the lounge, new act comes in and shakes things up giving hope, love triangle, etc. The music is good (both Aguilera and Cher get a solo) and the ending is happy. A definite "chick flick" that has just enough for this guy to like it also.
January 30, 2016
I will not be upstaged by some slut with mutant lungs.
January 19, 2016
With catchy songs, articulate dance moves and a captivating plot Burlesque is a fan fav for years to come
½ January 7, 2016
gr8 debut for christina aguilera as she effortlessly goes from small screen (TV) to the big screen
½ December 28, 2015
A poorly written and directed film that took the plot of Coyote Ugly, inserted Cher and more dancing, and spit back a dud.
½ November 21, 2015
I don't know what is worse, the insufferable songs or how this trashy modern musical fairy-tale is so predictable, boring and full of clichés from the first scene till the last. There is nothing original or remotely interesting in it and it isn't even bad enough to make us laugh.
October 24, 2015
While most critics complained that this movie was campy and cliched, Burlesque is actually a very good movie with great songs, colorful effects and great performances from the actors and Cher and Christina, both in terms of acting and the dance sequences. Even though it does have a cliche of misunderstanding and the sort underdog vs bully, the way they are executed is actually pretty well. Because, unlike most movies that have cliche's like that which have the characters do nothing mope in a misunderstanding cliche (a lot of romance films were pretty guilty on this, especially the american ones) and in underdog vs bully cliche, they'd have a character trying to prove itself, then prevent and brought back on the bottom by a bully and then trying to convince other characters in stuff. Here, the characters are actually doing something after having a misunderstanding and Ali, the main character, handles the film's bully character Nikki pretty well. She doesn't react like a scared little underdog who's dreaming of more and trying to make her dream come true. She just handles stuff the way she thinks is best and is always helping the others out.
Now that is what this movie should be given credit for, handeling the cliche's in away that wasn't seen so often.
And this is also one of the better recent musicals, because it feels like an actual musical vs what most nowadays musicals have as songs, which is musicalized dialogues (Frozen and Into the Woods are guilty on this one).
Also, some of the dance scenes reminded me of 2002 musical, Chicago.
So yes, great music, great singing, dance and acting performance and greatly executed cliches. And the song "You Haven't Seen the Last of Me" certainly deserved the Golden Globe award it got.

I say it's worth it, and give it a watch for yourself.