The Burning Plain - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Burning Plain Reviews

April 28, 2016
J. Law played the younger Charlize Theron in this totally uninteresting piece.
½ August 28, 2015
Hated it. Depressing story about screwed up people ruining their lives. Go see this if you want to get really confused and depressed. The only good part was Jennifer Lawrence.
½ August 1, 2015
Complex and thought provoking, The Burning Plain holds an interesting concept backed up with a strong direction and a so-so cast
July 11, 2015
Sylvia's cool, professional demeanor masks the sexually charged storm within. When a stranger from Mexico confronts her with her mysterious past, she is launched into a journey through space and time that inextricably connects her to disparate characters, all of whom are grappling with their own romantic destinies. In Mexico, a young motherless girl, Maria, lives happily with her father and his best friend until a tragic accident changes it all. In the New Mexico border town of Las Cruces, two teenagers, Mariana and Santiago, find love in the aftermath of their parents' sudden deaths. In an abandoned trailer, a housewife, Gina, embarks on a passionate affair that will put Sylvia and the others on a collision course with the explosive power of forbidden love.

Charlize Theron was great, but it was an average movie overall.
½ June 28, 2015
Really a slog to sit through, no fun to balance the dreariness or make anything stand out, but there were good bones to a story in there, but what was left was a hollow shell. Jennifer Lawrence is good as always!
May 22, 2015
While far from being a great movie, it is not anywhere near as bad as critics lead one to believe. Theron and Basinger are exceptional.
May 5, 2015
Hard to believe Guillermo Arriaga followed up his impressive writing resume with this.Very very boring.Also very implausible relationships between gorgeous white,blond,blue-eyed girls and mexicans that all look like they just came off their jornalero shift.Some guy who gave you a ride,the son of the man your mother cheated with,cīmon.

Whatīs with the bird in the fridge?They seriously donīt look that poor.Weird.Letīs go and hunt birds in the desert and cook them with the son of the man my mother died cheating with.Umm ok...

And what exactly was she expecting when she lit a gas-fed RV?Very stupid scene.Very boring,forced movie.
March 21, 2015
Charlize Theron plays a young woman running from her past. A freak accident brings the daughter she gave up years ago, back into her life. She then relives the pain of a buried secret, and a memory of a mother she didn't know.
March 11, 2015
Jennifer Lawrence and Charlize Theron carry the movie on their back and deliver a beautiful performance.
½ January 4, 2015
Although it was very jumpy and made me work very hard to follow it, I am an avid film goer so it was enjoyable for me. I can see why those who don't want to work too hard while seeing a movie would not enjoy the style. The story line was really powerful and well done. The characters were cast so well that the story was carried out effortlessly. If I had to change anything I would have liked the end to include more of his recovery and his thoughts on what she finally told him after years of not knowing. I also would have liked to see Jennifer Lawrence come off more sympathetic because I'm beginning to see that Jennifer is being type cast as that role. Plus I didn't see the real character arch of the young daughter who murdered her mother to the adult version who was so changed. I would have liked to see more of the fathers realization at the end for him pushing his wife to do everything and also push his daughter to the choices she made. Over all I really enjoyed the film and would even watch it again.
January 1, 2015
A powerful drama can be a good choice sometimes and this is a movie directed by Guillermo Arriaga from big hits like Babel and 21 grams. The story and the feeling are the same as his earlier flicks i would say but not quite as deep and complicated this time. Well atleast not if you pay attention to the story from start til the very end. The story follows a few people in the storyline in different times and they are connected to each other and you will learn more and more as the story goes on. A pretty solid story and in the main roles we have the gorgeous Charlize Theron along with Kim Basinger and she still looks wonderful indeed. Both are decent actresses and did a some nice roles in this flick. Its not a movie in the same quality level as "21 grams" for instance but definitely a solid drama overall.
½ November 24, 2014
The way this film was put together made it very complicated to follow the plot,then you finally realize what's going on and you are shocked for a very brief second.The only reason I had to watch this movie was to see Jennifer Lawrence at her very first steps!The girl is incredible!
July 27, 2014
Very disjointed, it took way too long to realise that the storylines were shifting between the same people over three points in time!
½ June 7, 2014
i just love these stories and how they all interconnect in some way and the audience watches it unfold....its up there with 21 grams and amores perros.
½ June 1, 2014
Poor direction and acting.
May 30, 2014
This movie is wonderful! Charlize Theron Jennifer Lawrence, and Kim Basinger are all amazing! Their acting performances are flawless and they portray their characters brilliantly! The story line is very good and hits you close to the heart in so many areas and it's interesting to see all the pieces of it fit together throughout the film! I think everyone should see this movie!
April 22, 2014
I don't understand the very average reviews: my wife and I thought it was great.
½ April 19, 2014
The Burning Plain is stupid and boring. I thought Charlize Theron was going to be good in this, but she was boring. The only reason to watch this film is because it has Jennifer Lawrence, who is always entertaining in movies. This story is a tale of a web of interconnecting love stories, Theron plays a woman with a troubled past and tried to reconcile with her parents. If you want to see it, go see the parts with Lawrence. This movie made me fall asleep.
March 30, 2014
A dark drama which whilst well acted is far too predictable and with that slow moving to be fully successful.
February 12, 2014
Its a very watchable movie, sad, serious and sober. but think i had already seen this story, this art and this direction in other movies, doesnt bring anything new, just the regular sad story of ''shits i did in my past haunted me all my life'' with no big originality.