The Cable Guy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Cable Guy Reviews

½ April 23, 2017
An awesome comedy from the nineties. One of Jim Carrey's best movies by far. (First full viewing - Summer 2008)
March 6, 2017
You love it or hate it
February 14, 2017
Funny dark comedy, but not so good as look like. Rotten.
February 3, 2017
A laugh-out-loud comedy with a good and creepy performance of Jim Carrey with a side of him being very funny and goofy. Matthew Broderick did a really good job, and they both had pretty decent chemistry. I would say this is Carrey's second best film next to "The Mask".
February 1, 2017
Bit shit. Didn't like this film. Didn't film it funny like the rest of Jim carrey performances. Also has voice gets really old and annoying fast!
January 2, 2017
It's good movie to watch
December 11, 2016
i wanna see it again
½ November 13, 2016
One of my fav Jim Carrey comedies. Criminally underrated.
½ November 1, 2016
'Play Misty For Me' remodelled as an often very funny black comedy vehicle for Jim Carrey. Carrey's characteristically manic and inventive performance is perfectly balanced by Matthew Broderick's straightlaced architect, for whom a simple request to fix his cable-TV becomes a succession of increasingly intrusive and unwelcome visits from the deranged and lisping Carrey. Ben Stiller directs energetically and it zips by.
½ October 2, 2016
This movie is interesting, but really not that funny. It's no Dumb and Dumber.
September 30, 2016
Thankfully this underrated classic has gotten more love and attention over the years. It's a genius project. Everyone involved with it are geniuses, led by a Jim Carrey performance for the ages.
September 11, 2016
An ok watchable movie. What kills it is Matthew Broadwick's performance, part of that is that his character is written to be clueless and stupid while the other is that he's not even trying. Honestly Jack Back should've played Steven and Broadwick should've played Rick. Another problem with this movie is the part at Steven's parents house. The acting was bad and everything in there was so cringey, I couldn't stand it. Jim Carrey performance was good in this movie but was not fully utilized.
September 9, 2016
Very interesting movie... and let me preface "interesting"... a couple thoughts: I would say this led the way for "uncomfortable comedies", like Meet The Parents (also a Ben Stiller thing, so not surprising). Everything keeps going wrong for the lead character and no-one understands that he's not being a dick. 2nd and final point: Jim Carey is just so ... well Jim Carey... this movie could have been better if it had been cast with someone else. It just becomes an over the top jim carey movie, and eclipses an otherwise well done movie, and well written script. Some good moments would have been lost (like the basketball scene, which was also over the top, but still entertaining). Would have been a VERY different movie. Carey I suppose just isn't my brand. Dumb and Dumber he's perfect for, and it was before he was super famous... so it worked. I suppose this wasn't long after, maybe only a year... but it's like he's doing a caricature of jim carey doing a caricature of jim carey. He was (is) much better doing more serious roles. (sunshine spotless mind). Point is... this movie gets eclipsed by the jim carey personality... when it's actually a very good script and good movie.
jamrcla
July 30, 2016
People say this is one of his worst well I love it, Ok it's not the Jim we know and love in it but come on there are worse films than this that people rave over, A dark comedy that gets darker as it goes on plus a side story that's never really explained and I still struggle to see how it fits in.
July 21, 2016
Idk why people hate this movie it's probably because it's a dark comedy but this movie is really good because this could really happen to someone Jim carrey shows he can do a dark comedy I loved this movie and yes it does have its flaws but overall a great flick to watch
June 17, 2016
The Cable Guy is a seriously under-appreciated film and one of Carrey's best. Carey's turn as the film's titular character is brilliant- you fear him but sympathise with him at the same time. It's one of the best performances of his career. The movie may be too dark for some, but if you enjoy a good black comedy, you'll find plenty to enjoy here. If this had been released today, it would have been better recieved. A criminally underrated film.
June 14, 2016
This is not a bad film. Me and my dad went and saw it back in 1996 and both of us couldn't stop laughing. My father loved the basket ball game. I' admit don't like h lever symphony it makes you feel toward the cable guy, but that's all I don't like from this film.
May 23, 2016
While on the surface it appears to be nothing more than a dumb comedy where Jim Carrey plays a lovable idiot, as the movie intends for us to think. As the movie gets deeper, you can see how well crafted the script is with witty dialogue and fully fleshed out concepts. Carrey gives the performance of his life and the script isn't wasted on his character, where he can go from charmingly funny to horribly sinister with the flick of a switch. Bonus points for both Tenacious D members making cameos.
½ April 16, 2016
Funny premise, unfortunately not one of Carrey's brighter moments. My advice: re-watch Ace Ventura or Liar, Liar