The Cable Guy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Cable Guy Reviews

½ November 13, 2016
One of my fav Jim Carrey comedies. Criminally underrated.
½ November 1, 2016
'Play Misty For Me' remodelled as an often very funny black comedy vehicle for Jim Carrey. Carrey's characteristically manic and inventive performance is perfectly balanced by Matthew Broderick's straightlaced architect, for whom a simple request to fix his cable-TV becomes a succession of increasingly intrusive and unwelcome visits from the deranged and lisping Carrey. Ben Stiller directs energetically and it zips by.
½ October 2, 2016
This movie is interesting, but really not that funny. It's no Dumb and Dumber.
September 30, 2016
Thankfully this underrated classic has gotten more love and attention over the years. It's a genius project. Everyone involved with it are geniuses, led by a Jim Carrey performance for the ages.
September 11, 2016
An ok watchable movie. What kills it is Matthew Broadwick's performance, part of that is that his character is written to be clueless and stupid while the other is that he's not even trying. Honestly Jack Back should've played Steven and Broadwick should've played Rick. Another problem with this movie is the part at Steven's parents house. The acting was bad and everything in there was so cringey, I couldn't stand it. Jim Carrey performance was good in this movie but was not fully utilized.
September 9, 2016
Very interesting movie... and let me preface "interesting"... a couple thoughts: I would say this led the way for "uncomfortable comedies", like Meet The Parents (also a Ben Stiller thing, so not surprising). Everything keeps going wrong for the lead character and no-one understands that he's not being a dick. 2nd and final point: Jim Carey is just so ... well Jim Carey... this movie could have been better if it had been cast with someone else. It just becomes an over the top jim carey movie, and eclipses an otherwise well done movie, and well written script. Some good moments would have been lost (like the basketball scene, which was also over the top, but still entertaining). Would have been a VERY different movie. Carey I suppose just isn't my brand. Dumb and Dumber he's perfect for, and it was before he was super famous... so it worked. I suppose this wasn't long after, maybe only a year... but it's like he's doing a caricature of jim carey doing a caricature of jim carey. He was (is) much better doing more serious roles. (sunshine spotless mind). Point is... this movie gets eclipsed by the jim carey personality... when it's actually a very good script and good movie.
jamrcla
July 30, 2016
People say this is one of his worst well I love it, Ok it's not the Jim we know and love in it but come on there are worse films than this that people rave over, A dark comedy that gets darker as it goes on plus a side story that's never really explained and I still struggle to see how it fits in.
July 21, 2016
Idk why people hate this movie it's probably because it's a dark comedy but this movie is really good because this could really happen to someone Jim carrey shows he can do a dark comedy I loved this movie and yes it does have its flaws but overall a great flick to watch
June 17, 2016
The Cable Guy is a seriously under-appreciated film and one of Carrey's best. Carey's turn as the film's titular character is brilliant- you fear him but sympathise with him at the same time. It's one of the best performances of his career. The movie may be too dark for some, but if you enjoy a good black comedy, you'll find plenty to enjoy here. If this had been released today, it would have been better recieved. A criminally underrated film.
June 14, 2016
This is not a bad film. Me and my dad went and saw it back in 1996 and both of us couldn't stop laughing. My father loved the basket ball game. I' admit don't like h lever symphony it makes you feel toward the cable guy, but that's all I don't like from this film.
May 23, 2016
While on the surface it appears to be nothing more than a dumb comedy where Jim Carrey plays a lovable idiot, as the movie intends for us to think. As the movie gets deeper, you can see how well crafted the script is with witty dialogue and fully fleshed out concepts. Carrey gives the performance of his life and the script isn't wasted on his character, where he can go from charmingly funny to horribly sinister with the flick of a switch. Bonus points for both Tenacious D members making cameos.
½ April 16, 2016
Funny premise, unfortunately not one of Carrey's brighter moments. My advice: re-watch Ace Ventura or Liar, Liar
April 13, 2016
Funny and undoubtedly entertaining to boot, The Cable Guy sparks Jim Carrey's comedic talents mixing his enjoyable energy with some newly acquired brand of dark humor.
½ February 21, 2016
The comedy was dumb, weird, and unfunny, but the psychological thriller aspects were decent. Hit and miss failure that could have been much better. The acting was silly or bland. Also pretentious.
February 18, 2016
The Cable Guy is a fantastic Comedy, Jim Carrey's best comedic work and second only to, maybe, The Truman Show as his finest film regardless of genre. Uproariously funny, perfectly paced, smartly-directed, and featuring one of the highlight comedic performances of the 1990s, The Cable Guy is the complete package; it has all the channels, is hooked up just right, contains no fuzzy stations, and is a breeze to enjoy.
½ February 13, 2016
This was amazing, no doubt about it! The Cable Guy is directed by Ben Stiller and stars Jim Carrey, Matthew Broderick and Jack Black among others. It's a story about a man who just got kicked out of his house by his girlfriend whom he asked to marry, but she, obviously, denied. As he's moving into his new apartment, his TV is acting strange so he calls the cable guy. And so begins this insane and hilarious movie with some truly memorable scenes! First of all, Jim Carrey is fantastic in this movie! I've always loved his acting and this movie is no excuse. He nails his character. He's awkward, crazy, funny, psychotic and above all, creepy. It's very entertaining to watch him. Matthew Broderick's character is great, as well. The way he acts in the situations that the cable guy puts him in, is the way I would react, so he's quite a realistic character, if you ask me. The direction is good, with some really interesting plot points and conclusion. From beginning to end, this movie is hilarious! It can get quite disturbing, too, though. But, it's disturbing in a way where you don't know if you should laugh or not. It feels as if the movie wants you to laugh, but you're skeptic if you should laugh. The soundtrack is awesome with some really great songs and I love when the cable guy starts humming tunes to fit the scene which is happening. There's a deep, strong, message in this movie about how television is brainwashing us and the fact that the television is like a babysitter in the family with parents leaving their kids alone expecting them to be okay just because they can watch the television. No matter how ridiculous the movie gets, the message is still very obvious and makes you think. All in all, a fantastic dark comedy with amazing performances, great soundtrack and direction, filled with funny scenes and I would highly recommend checking this movie out!
February 12, 2016
Good movie, I must have watched it at least seven or eight times over the years and it never gets old. This movie touches on a lot of popular culture stuff from the time it came out at in the 90s but in it's own parallel universe movie type twist way, like the Menendez trial, which in the Cable Guy universe takes the form of a former child star who murdered his twin brother, and is standing trial in a heavily televised court atmosphere. Cable Guy (Jim Carey) makes it a point to show how disgusted he is with the accused murderer. Anyone bad mouthing this movie takes themselves way too seriously, and needs to lighten up. Wonderful performance by Jim Carey.
½ January 3, 2016
Jim Carrey doesn't believe in vaccinations. He and his movies are idiotic