Candyman - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Candyman Reviews

½ August 18, 2017
Madsen truly looked possessed in some scenes, but that was the only really scary part in the film.
½ May 14, 2017
"Candyman" is a horror film with all the right moves; combining atmosphere, timely gore, and the appeal of urban legends into one cohesive and effective ghost story (that is also a social commentary).
March 29, 2017
Eventually I'll review a movie I thought was trash however this is not one. Tony Todds performance is fantastic. The score is gorgeous. This is the movie 'Urban Legend' done by a director with some tact. If you've never seen this movie (even if you don't like horror movies) I would suggest you see this.
March 5, 2017
Pretty lame scares but interesting lore.
February 7, 2017
- Nightmarish film set in suburban Chicago has an attractive student (Virginia Madsen) research the local myth of a murderer known as the Candyman. Genuinely chilling.
½ January 7, 2017
A horror film about a man who appears and kills you when you say his name in the mirror 5 times. Sounds like you're typical plot line for a slasher, however as the film progresses more of the story unravels and reveals what is a in depth, rather sophisticated horror. Completely unpredictable and unique in its own way, Candy man is a film that'll always make the must see horror film polls. A cracking thrill for all horror fans alike.
December 5, 2016
Really well made horror film.
½ November 24, 2016
An eerie, scary and surprisingly efficient horror film that invests in an atmospheric score and an intriguing mystery about a living rumor who can only be real through his spooky legend - and it firmly keeps its roots in the real world while the gore never feels unnecessary.
½ October 29, 2016
Some magic negro white guilt, here. But it is an overall engaging horror. The ending detracted. It turned her, for no reason, from a hero to a villain. It was lazy writing and warrants a half-star demerit.
½ October 18, 2016
The idea was intriguing, but by two thirds into it, this film had mostly failed to scare me, or even keep my interest.
½ September 10, 2016
I really enjoy this film and think that it is a classic in the horror community and appreciate the way it shows the decay of urban environment. Tony Todds performance is unforgettable and I appreciate everyone who worked on the film.
August 7, 2016
Adapted from the chilling mind of Clive Barker, "Candyman" is much more than a story about an urban legend turned serial killer. Barker looks at the everyday, the mundane, and twists it into submission. He doesn't believe in the suburban, or the normal. Through the clichés he sees the gruesome world of dreams, the outer membrane that surrounds us all, and from that he cultivates a horror tradition that lends itself to the grotesque. In this film, his tensest buildup to date, he shows martyrdom in the face of evil. Virginia Madsen is a graduate student who searches for the legendary Candyman in the ghetto of South Chicago, inevitably finding him. The story revolves around her seduction, and eventual sacrifice for the good of the community. The film is great for the fact that it builds up its villain, and also sets a mood unlike other horror films. The seduction mirrors the old "Dracula" films, and yet is much bloodier for the benefit of slasher fans, bridging traditions and creating a terrifying narrative where the boogeyman is real.
½ July 17, 2016
I am not really a fan of Candyman. I admit it has a few strong moments, an interesting premise and an amazing music score by Philip Glass. The problems lie to the plot which uses in a clumsy way some motives, like the knife, the mirror or the presence of Candyman. Furthermore, a little bit more organized editing would be for the movie's benefit. 5/10
½ July 17, 2016
½ May 26, 2016
The villain is far too underwhelming, but Candyman does contain some effective imagery and progresses with patience and tension, unlike many other horror flicks.
May 16, 2016
Really not one of my favorites considering how popular it is. I like Clive barker but the villain in this movie seems kind of dull.
The first half of the movie was suspenseful and interesting and mysterious. Once the villain is revealed, and isn't particularly scary the movie deflates a bit for me.
Hillary Clintons acting is excellent though.
April 16, 2016
two words: Phillip Glass. and a third one: bees
April 10, 2016
Not very scary, but Tony Todd's Candyman has almost reached as iconic horror status as Krueger and Vorhees. He is a great villain, rooted in scary folklore as old as imaginable (in varying degrees). The evil man with the hook that emerges when you say his name five times in a mirror. As kids, who doesn't love stories that start out like that?
April 8, 2016
"Candyman" is quite the yawnfest, however with some neat setpieces and a beautiful score, it brings you an eerie atmosphere.