Candyman - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Candyman Reviews

November 1, 2017
This was always a great concept but I always found the execution rather dull. Twenty five years on I feel just the same.
October 19, 2017
Fantastic and creepy film. Tony Todd is why you'll stick around for the series
½ October 15, 2017
Darker than others in the genre, even if it is a tad melodramatic. Candyman manages to create quite a unique mythology in just 90 minutes. Todd of course is unforgettable, but it's Virginia Madsen and Kasi Lemmons who keep us engaged and emotionally involved.
October 7, 2017
This film knows how to create tension, so much so we don't see our villain until the one hour mark which makes it consistently frightening and maddeningly suspenseful.
October 6, 2017
This is one of the finest horror films of the 1990s, and a landmark in terms of its theme of race horror. It's also a superbly crafted scareshow with brilliant performances by Virginia Madsen and Tony Todd.
September 17, 2017
ugh, its one of the worst horror movies ever. its so stupid, i could barely get through watching it
August 27, 2017
While looking threw ondemand with my little brother we came across Candyman I had seen it before but he never did so we watched. i will say i didn't remember much of it so really it was like seeing it for the first time. I enjoyed Candyman the plot was good the acting was good enough Candyman himself was scary his back story made you feel bad for him. So in short if your looking for an decent Horror movie to watch and you've sen all the Jason,Freddy,Leatherfeace,Chucky and michael Myers movies give this movie a chance you might enjoy it.
½ August 18, 2017
Madsen truly looked possessed in some scenes, but that was the only really scary part in the film.
½ May 14, 2017
"Candyman" is a horror film with all the right moves; combining atmosphere, timely gore, and the appeal of urban legends into one cohesive and effective ghost story (that is also a social commentary).
March 29, 2017
Eventually I'll review a movie I thought was trash however this is not one. Tony Todds performance is fantastic. The score is gorgeous. This is the movie 'Urban Legend' done by a director with some tact. If you've never seen this movie (even if you don't like horror movies) I would suggest you see this.
March 5, 2017
Pretty lame scares but interesting lore.
February 7, 2017
- Nightmarish film set in suburban Chicago has an attractive student (Virginia Madsen) research the local myth of a murderer known as the Candyman. Genuinely chilling.
½ January 7, 2017
A horror film about a man who appears and kills you when you say his name in the mirror 5 times. Sounds like you're typical plot line for a slasher, however as the film progresses more of the story unravels and reveals what is a in depth, rather sophisticated horror. Completely unpredictable and unique in its own way, Candy man is a film that'll always make the must see horror film polls. A cracking thrill for all horror fans alike.
December 5, 2016
Really well made horror film.
½ November 24, 2016
An eerie, scary and surprisingly efficient horror film that invests in an atmospheric score and an intriguing mystery about a living rumor who can only be real through his spooky legend - and it firmly keeps its roots in the real world while the gore never feels unnecessary.
½ October 29, 2016
Some magic negro white guilt, here. But it is an overall engaging horror. The ending detracted. It turned her, for no reason, from a hero to a villain. It was lazy writing and warrants a half-star demerit.
½ October 18, 2016
The idea was intriguing, but by two thirds into it, this film had mostly failed to scare me, or even keep my interest.
½ September 10, 2016
I really enjoy this film and think that it is a classic in the horror community and appreciate the way it shows the decay of urban environment. Tony Todds performance is unforgettable and I appreciate everyone who worked on the film.
August 7, 2016
Adapted from the chilling mind of Clive Barker, "Candyman" is much more than a story about an urban legend turned serial killer. Barker looks at the everyday, the mundane, and twists it into submission. He doesn't believe in the suburban, or the normal. Through the clichés he sees the gruesome world of dreams, the outer membrane that surrounds us all, and from that he cultivates a horror tradition that lends itself to the grotesque. In this film, his tensest buildup to date, he shows martyrdom in the face of evil. Virginia Madsen is a graduate student who searches for the legendary Candyman in the ghetto of South Chicago, inevitably finding him. The story revolves around her seduction, and eventual sacrifice for the good of the community. The film is great for the fact that it builds up its villain, and also sets a mood unlike other horror films. The seduction mirrors the old "Dracula" films, and yet is much bloodier for the benefit of slasher fans, bridging traditions and creating a terrifying narrative where the boogeyman is real.