Career Opportunities - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Career Opportunities Reviews

June 14, 2016
This is literally one of my all time favorite comedies of all time as well as one of my all time favorite movies... Frank Whaley was another underrated actor... he truly was hilariously funny in this film... & Jennifer Connelly was simply beautiful.
March 20, 2016
This was the first time I saw the incredible looking Jennifer Connelly. She was definitely a WOW! The best looking woman ever on a movie screen.

But beyond that, the movie itself, was better than most give it credit for.

I have watched it many times. I know where the movie ends and when I watch it now, it seems like an obvious ending. The ending location is no accident and ties to what takes place in the movie and it even ties to the title.

People who do not see how this movie is good, need to consider the ending location and how the misread talents of Jim Dodge, who is mistakenly called "liar", when his talent is more than lying, and the talent of Josie McClelland who is mistakenly called "tease", when her talent is similar to Jim Dodge and more than simply being a tease.

No - this movie is not similar to Home Alone, it has a different concept.

If it seems I am being cryptic, let me spell it out clearly.
Jim Dodge is called a liar, but he demonstrates he has a talent for

acting.

Josie McClelland is called a Tease but she demonstrates a talent for

acting.

The movie with the title Career Opportunities has these two characters who demonstrate a talent for acting winding up in Hollywood California. And that ending location was no accident or coincidence.
December 28, 2015
12/28/2015: Not a great movie, but Connelly is amazing.
½ November 4, 2015
Career Opportunities, bien que réalisé par Bryan Gordon, signe le retour en forme en 1991 d'un John Hughes qui mélange deux de ses succès (un adolescent à la Ferris Bueller coincé une nuit dans un supermarché où deux malfaiteurs entrent pour le braquer) pour en faire une comédie d'1h20 où Frank Whaley et Jennifer Connelly brillent. On est loin de ses études sociologiques un peu désuètes et beaucoup plus dans une comédie burlesque extrêmement bien rythmée et surtout sans arrière-pensées. On y trouve même une apparition de l'excellent John Candy et une bande-son typique de ce genre de film. Career Opportunities est donc beaucoup plus simple que Ferris Bueller, beaucoup moins long (et beaucoup plus réussi) qu'Home Alone. Pas forcément inoubliable, il en reste un très bon moment.
October 5, 2015
At least we can enjoy the eye candy of a young Jennifer Connolly for 80 minutes.
August 2, 2015
Easily one of John Hughes's worst movies. Not much goes on and it's characters are either bland or stupid. Whaley's okay but annoying at times yet oddly likeable but he didn't have much to work with. John Candy gives the best performance of the film in a cameo.

Only reason why to watch this is to see Jennifer Conally at her sexiest. Not many wears a skintight white tank top without a bra more convincingly. It makes one truely wonder what if Jennifer instead decided to become a sex symbol/sexiest woman in hollywood instead of becoming a better actress. At one point in time she had the total goods.

Acting wise she is very green here but you see her potential of what came later on..
July 14, 2015
Should I be embarassed to say this is one of me and my friends' all time favorite movies? A.) I LOVE the being locked in Target concept. From trying out all the Games, trying out the products, eating the free food while using the silverware and plates that are suposed to be on sale in the store. Rollerskating through the aisles, turning the lights on and off, blasting the music, using the storewide intercom to give fake speeches, riding bikes etc....I want to be "night clean up Guy!! B.) SO many quotable lines: "Excuse me, I have to clean dead flies out of the lighting fixtures", "May I have this laundered? It smells a bit like Darnell", ."Reverend Harwell gave me the finger last week", and my all time favorite when the guy is leaving Jim alone in the store "You better stay out of the ladies undergoods". C.) Most of the cast is GREAT! Especially Dermot Mulroney (My Best Friends Wedding) as one of the thieves. Frank Whaley is a riot as the loser, and Jennifer Connelly is calm and cool as the beautiful love interest who hates her father. True - besides the one liners, the writing/story line is really lame, and it's no movie masterpiece b any means, but it's DAMN funny. Watch it for some easy laughs!
June 12, 2015
Jennifer Connely Brightens up all her movies. This one has good writing and directing.
June 8, 2015
I certainly agree with this -> "Let's be honest, the only reasons to watch this movie are Jennifer Connelly in a skintight tank top rollerskating and riding an electric pony."
April 1, 2015
Connelly looks great but little else does in this lost comedy.
½ February 14, 2015
Career Opportunities is surprisingly smart and undeniably funny and delivers the unlikely sparking chemistry between Frank Whaley and Jennifer Connelly with likable performances.
½ January 13, 2015
The movie is horrible!! However, Jennifer Connelly's scene with her in the white tank top is hotter than any actress in any other movie!!!!
½ August 4, 2014
(First and only viewing - 5/20/2013)
July 19, 2014
I don't think Frank Whaley ever had a chance to shine. I love his little parts in movies. Always brightens the screen. Pulp Fiction, World Trade Center,and let's not forget his freakin hilarious "45 seconds" in Drillbit Taylor. Lmao. But Career Opportunities will always be his best work. If you were a pre teen in the early 90s like myself, something about Dodge just felt good about growing up and becoming a man. Loved this movie and I still do.. Come on Whaley, there's hope for you yet.. I believe in ya
April 24, 2014
Really underrated midnight comedy about Frank Whaley playing a night clean up boy at Target that gets trapped inside with a hot Jennifer Connolly. I loved it
April 10, 2014
A simple early 1990's film about two lonely & disconnected 21 year olds who bump into one another during the night at Target.

Jennifer Connelly is beyond stunning to look at but her acting was a little basic but she hadn't been acting long.

The film is predictable but not overly exciting it's easy watching & if they made the lead actor a not more likeable it could have been better. It's not great but it's a bit of easy watching fun...good cameo of John Candy to.
January 27, 2014
Writer/director John Hughes did his best work in the '80's, having his hand in some of the best cult classics of the decade, but unfortunately the '90's were not so kind to him. He seemed to simply recycle his best hits over and over again, and "Career Opportunities" was a combination of two of his biggest and best.

It imagines the teens of "The Breakfast Club" a few years later, out of school but aimless and unhappy with life and sticks them in yet another confined space and forces them to get to know each over all over again. That's actually the best part of the film. As a writer, Hughes knows young people far better than screenwriters half his age, and the developing relationship between Frank Whaley and Jennifer Connolly is sweet and convincing.

It's basically every guy's fantasy; being locked up in a place with unlimited resources along with someone as beautiful as Connolly. Where the problem lies is when Hughes' monster hit "Home Alone" rears its ugly head as it did with so many of his films of the decade, once again in the form of bungling burglars. It doesn't even make any sense within the context of this film, and it feels so ridiculously out of place. It would have been just as nonsensical has the Mulroney brothers broken into Shermer High School in 1985.

But until that glaring distraction, "Career Opportunities" has some nice moments and frank, honest dialogue that was the writer's trademark. He may have gone to the well one too many times with this one, however.
September 20, 2013
Great date movie for people in their late 20's or mid to early 30's.
½ September 2, 2013
Not terrible, but nothing to write home about--not Home Alone anyway.
July 15, 2013
good movie so of course the big-head reviewers panned it. they'd rather give good reviews to boring movies like driving miss daisy cause it makes em feel smart.