Carrie Pilby - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Carrie Pilby Reviews

September 18, 2017
Jill and I really liked this 'comedy' for it's wit, realism and the issues Carrie faced as a young adult - and maybe all of have to revisit from time to time. Good flick.
½ September 13, 2017
One of the worst movies I have ever seen. I don't think I can hate it any more than I do. Sits proudly as one of maybe 3 movies I turned off before getting to the end, and I've suffered through Pootie Tang and The Host. Complete P.O.S. and in case you wonder why all the hatred, it's largely because Carrie is supposed to be this woman of epic genius but the portrayal, deliverance, writing, and all details of her character display absolutely nothing of the sort in any capacity. It's a non-stop bicker fest of witless complaints with logic so flawed it completely kills the belief this girl is anything extraordinary. Genius? Not even close. More like OCD and selfish. Anyone can regurgitate common knowledge textbook literature. Just like anyone can turn this pile of trash off before getting to the end.
½ September 11, 2017
Ignore all the lame critic reviews. This movie is great. It's sincere and heartfelt and relatable and funny and lovely.
September 8, 2017
Great movie that really talks about finding happiness. The main character went to counseling and he made her a list of things that she should do to try to help her find happiness. Go on a date, spend New Year's eve with someone, get a pet, etc. She would always shut people out and she just wanted to be a hermit. But she finally gave friends and love a chance. It's not exactly the most happy movie but it's definitely fun and quirky and one that I can relate to. I really love the last line of the movie. Really good what they did there.
½ August 18, 2017
Life happens and we just've to flow with it, making better choices!

A better film than I thought. What I thought was seeing how it was received. It was based on the book of the same name, directed by a newcomer. A coming-of-age film, about a 19 year old smart girl, but struggling in the real world since finished her education. Particularly, she's having a trouble with her father in communicating. Not that she's incapable of blend in with the rest of the world, but she's preoccupied with what she's interested in. Now her therapist hints to make a list to accomplish things than the dull life according to him she's presently living on. During her attempt, what are all things she go through was told in the remaining narration.

Bel Powley was brilliant in the title role. It was more like a sequel to her previous film 'The Diary of a Teenage Girl'. Like it was the next stage of her story. Between adulthood and teenhood, at the edge of teenage. Apart from her, the rest of the cast was decent. I usually like this kind of films, but they are all same. Developed from the basic storyline that we are very familiar with. In that perspective, this is not an impressive film, especially if you have seen plenty. Even though not bad for watching it once. Since the characters, cast and settings differ, besides the presentation was good, it surely a nice film to watch alone in a lazy weekend. Probably under- appreciated, but definitely an under- noticed film of the year.

7/10
May 1, 2017
It's nothing we haven't seen before and there are several sweet cutesy moments in it that made me want to throw up in my mouth, but I'd be lying if I said I was never charmed by "Carrie Pilby". Bel Powley is so charming and likable as Carrie that she makes some of the more quirky dialogue and unrealistic scenes go down easy. It's flawed and conventional and has too many sweet moments for my taste, but Powley's performance makes this little indie film work. I thought it was kind of lovely. Forgettable but lovely nonetheless.
April 27, 2017
amazing. i loved every second of this movie. carrie was a very relatable character. i cried really hard at this movie.
April 24, 2017
A very funny movie that still has an indie feel. It's smart humor, sort of British humor. I loved the story and the ending. Worth seeing more than once. Some may overlook it among bigger budget movies but I hope it's recognized for at least some kind of award, it's truly different.
April 21, 2017
Had fun watching it all the way through. It's been a while since a movie did that for me. It didn't go for the cheap laughs. I'd pretty much recommend it to everyone who likes a good story.
April 17, 2017
Once upon a time my favorite book in the world, a book that got me through high school by making me feel a little less freakish, got made into a movie. I was scared it would suck. It didn't. It was a little different from the book but it made me have the same feelings all over again (and it's a good story too). Thank you for whoever made this happen.
½ April 17, 2017
It's not really a bad movie, but I didn't like it. The story of a bitchy rich super smart girl who is socially awkward...who cares?
½ April 16, 2017
This was honestly the best film I've seen since American Beauty. Hilarious and moving at once, I can see why two of my favorite actors (Gabriel Byrne and Jason Ritter) would have signed on and I'm a big fan of dry humor so this hit me in just the right way. It's consistently funny but also a strong story with some fresh angles. This is a really good year for film so far and I hope it keeps up. (Also plan to get the Carrie Pilby book and cross fingers for more of her exploits on screen someday!)
April 16, 2017
I see a lot of films and can be fairly critical, as I expected to be with this one. But I gave this a shot mainly based on respect for several of the actors and some decent press. I was surprised how well put together this was, funny, excellent score, and a few directing tricks that you'd have to have been behind the camera to appreciate. I'm surprised more people haven't heard of this one but I will be recommending it. Most comedies these days are of the buddy/toilet humor variety and it was surprising to see one that had so much heart, thought and truly clever dialogue and a few moments that were just pure joy, especially toward the end. Also some fantastic holiday cinematography. If this becomes a classic or particularly a Christmas classic, it is well deserved.
April 16, 2017
This was just a very good movie in ways I wasn't expecting, funny, good performances by a great cast, sweet. I had read some good reviews and several mixed so I didn't know if I'd like it, but the trailer sucked me in and it was surprisingly good. Maybe it will be a cult hit, I don't know. I haven't seen a movie that hit this many different notes in a while. Only thing I didn't like, probably could have made more use of Gabriel Byrne but other than that it's one I'll probably watch again and encourage my parents to see.
April 16, 2017
I needed a laugh but not a typical comedy like Office Xmas party, and there hasn't been an intelligent comedy with a good plot in a long while. Still I wasn't sure if I'd like this one or find it too preachy. Actually my wife and I loved it and Bel Powley can count om two new fans. Always enjoy Gabriel Byrne also, and the writing was very good. Like I said I wasn't sure, so it was a nice surprise. Also liked the music a lot. A great way to spend 90 or so minutes,
April 15, 2017
Finally a romantic comedy that is funny, poignant and heartfelt. Loved the characters and the photography. Well done!!!
April 14, 2017
I didn't know much about this film but saw it on my on-demand choices and it looked cute enough. There was so much more to think about, but it still moved at a nice pace and made me laugh. I think it's one of the best films of 2017 so far, even though it's a comedy it's kind of a cut above most of them, has a bit of that indie film feel and a good story. It's really for everyone.
April 14, 2017
I was thoroughly charmed by this fun, quirky, sweet movie. Great cast too!
April 13, 2017
Charming and Beautiful. Bel Powley is amazing !
April 11, 2017
I didn't know what to expect and it was so very enjoyable. Terrific performances from Lane and Byrne, definitely a better than expected evening diversion. I almost want to know what happened to the main character in later years.