Carrie Pilby - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Carrie Pilby Reviews

May 1, 2017
It's nothing we haven't seen before and there are several sweet cutesy moments in it that made me want to throw up in my mouth, but I'd be lying if I said I was never charmed by "Carrie Pilby". Bel Powley is so charming and likable as Carrie that she makes some of the more quirky dialogue and unrealistic scenes go down easy. It's flawed and conventional and has too many sweet moments for my taste, but Powley's performance makes this little indie film work. I thought it was kind of lovely. Forgettable but lovely nonetheless.
April 27, 2017
amazing. i loved every second of this movie. carrie was a very relatable character. i cried really hard at this movie.
April 24, 2017
A very funny movie that still has an indie feel. It's smart humor, sort of British humor. I loved the story and the ending. Worth seeing more than once. Some may overlook it among bigger budget movies but I hope it's recognized for at least some kind of award, it's truly different.
April 21, 2017
Had fun watching it all the way through. It's been a while since a movie did that for me. It didn't go for the cheap laughs. I'd pretty much recommend it to everyone who likes a good story.
April 17, 2017
Once upon a time my favorite book in the world, a book that got me through high school by making me feel a little less freakish, got made into a movie. I was scared it would suck. It didn't. It was a little different from the book but it made me have the same feelings all over again (and it's a good story too). Thank you for whoever made this happen.
½ April 17, 2017
It's not really a bad movie, but I didn't like it. The story of a bitchy rich super smart girl who is socially awkward...who cares?
½ April 16, 2017
This was honestly the best film I've seen since American Beauty. Hilarious and moving at once, I can see why two of my favorite actors (Gabriel Byrne and Jason Ritter) would have signed on and I'm a big fan of dry humor so this hit me in just the right way. It's consistently funny but also a strong story with some fresh angles. This is a really good year for film so far and I hope it keeps up. (Also plan to get the Carrie Pilby book and cross fingers for more of her exploits on screen someday!)
April 16, 2017
I see a lot of films and can be fairly critical, as I expected to be with this one. But I gave this a shot mainly based on respect for several of the actors and some decent press. I was surprised how well put together this was, funny, excellent score, and a few directing tricks that you'd have to have been behind the camera to appreciate. I'm surprised more people haven't heard of this one but I will be recommending it. Most comedies these days are of the buddy/toilet humor variety and it was surprising to see one that had so much heart, thought and truly clever dialogue and a few moments that were just pure joy, especially toward the end. Also some fantastic holiday cinematography. If this becomes a classic or particularly a Christmas classic, it is well deserved.
April 16, 2017
This was just a very good movie in ways I wasn't expecting, funny, good performances by a great cast, sweet. I had read some good reviews and several mixed so I didn't know if I'd like it, but the trailer sucked me in and it was surprisingly good. Maybe it will be a cult hit, I don't know. I haven't seen a movie that hit this many different notes in a while. Only thing I didn't like, probably could have made more use of Gabriel Byrne but other than that it's one I'll probably watch again and encourage my parents to see.
April 16, 2017
I needed a laugh but not a typical comedy like Office Xmas party, and there hasn't been an intelligent comedy with a good plot in a long while. Still I wasn't sure if I'd like this one or find it too preachy. Actually my wife and I loved it and Bel Powley can count om two new fans. Always enjoy Gabriel Byrne also, and the writing was very good. Like I said I wasn't sure, so it was a nice surprise. Also liked the music a lot. A great way to spend 90 or so minutes,
April 15, 2017
Finally a romantic comedy that is funny, poignant and heartfelt. Loved the characters and the photography. Well done!!!
April 14, 2017
I didn't know much about this film but saw it on my on-demand choices and it looked cute enough. There was so much more to think about, but it still moved at a nice pace and made me laugh. I think it's one of the best films of 2017 so far, even though it's a comedy it's kind of a cut above most of them, has a bit of that indie film feel and a good story. It's really for everyone.
April 14, 2017
I was thoroughly charmed by this fun, quirky, sweet movie. Great cast too!
April 13, 2017
Charming and Beautiful. Bel Powley is amazing !
April 11, 2017
I didn't know what to expect and it was so very enjoyable. Terrific performances from Lane and Byrne, definitely a better than expected evening diversion. I almost want to know what happened to the main character in later years.
April 11, 2017
Watched this with my teenage daughter (high school) and while she laughed more than I did I think it has good lessons and something for everyone. I always enjoyed Gabriel Byrne's performances and Bell Powley was good as well, I think this may be the sleeper hit of the summer! My daughter wants to read the book now.
April 11, 2017
What a nice surprise, funny and fresher than any movie I've seen in years. . Definitely a great way to spend an hour and rich performances. Surprised I hadn't heard about it before today but definitely will tell others to watch it. Especially loved Nasthan Lane and the lead star.
April 11, 2017
Sweet, funny, touching and very enjoyable!
April 10, 2017
I loved this movies plot the cast it was funny emotional and I'm dying to read the book now the only thing is I wish they focused a lil more on Prof Harrison and carries relationship not just flash backs cause definitely needed more Colin o donoghue in this film he's the best if I could I would give it a million stars but I'm only allowed five, seriously go see this movie or watch it on iTunes Google play or Amazon instant video you won't be disappointed.
½ April 10, 2017
Absolutely terrible. Unlikable lead character, forced and laughable drama, with a big helping of cliches.