Carrington - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Carrington Reviews

August 6, 2015
By far the best character study of the last 30 years!,
October 6, 2014
Jonathan Pryce dominates the film with his fussy and idiosyncratic performance as the outspoken homosexual and iconoclastic chronicler of 20th century excesses.
August 14, 2014
Non so perché, ma sono straordinariamente e appassionatamente affezionato a questo film.
½ June 27, 2014
I relate to the story somehow, a woman, impulsive yet self conscious with her gay best friend. A bohemian life. Interesting biography.
½ February 9, 2014
saw it many times - one of my favorites - what's wrong with you people!?
½ October 5, 2013
not perfect but I loved every second of it!
June 21, 2013
As Strachey, Pryce is brilliant but the film seems to lack a coherent narrative. Basically we just see two sad artists be sad for two hours without ever getting a sense of what drew them together.
January 16, 2012
A fantastic film exploring two characters who impossibly fall in love with one another. Of course my rating is biased.
September 17, 2011
Beautifully sad love story!
June 16, 2011
Interesting & Accepting Love Story.Really Bad Wardrobes !
February 1, 2011
Ah, the Bloomsbury Group. What a time that was. I may have lived back then. Who knows...
January 22, 2011
One of my favourite films for the witty script, gorgeous colour, great music, psychological analysis visually illuminated and subtle acting.
November 5, 2010
simply overwhelming...
½ August 31, 2010
A story immersed in insightful view of Dora Carrington's life...have to say the story gives a most unconventional view into early 20th Century way of life in England..obviously not mainstream
August 20, 2010
I believe this is my life story!
June 26, 2010
This story blows a hole in the myth that our ancestors were all strait-laced virgins LOL. A bohemian love affair between one woman and one, two, three, four and more men...sometimes living together...sometimes not. But through it all there was one constant love...between a heterosexual woman and a homosexual man. Not the physical love of sexual intercourse...but the love of mind, heart and soul loving, understanding, and meeting on the same level. And how the final parting is not a parting...but a short absence from the other. A profoundly moving movie with excellent acting and one you may want to watch over and over to catch all the nuances!

The film won a Special Jury Prize at Cannes in 1996, and Jonathan Pryce won Best Actor at the Cannes Film Festival for his performance as Strachey.
½ June 6, 2010
Ottoline, I think we should dance.
May 24, 2010
nominated for best picture by NBR
April 30, 2010
Solid biopic about the artist. Great cast, beautiful music, and well-directed. Like many movies of this nature that are so introspective it's hard to completely portray what the characters are feeling and thinking, but there is one point during the middle of the movie where Carrington is sitting in the yard at night watching the people in their respective rooms go about their business that does one of the best jobs of capturing a moment I have seen on film. It was also interesting to see the portrayal of Gerald Brenan, whom I had seen in another well-made movie - South From Granada.
½ April 19, 2010
(from The Watermark, 01/04/96)
An interesting, though sometimes unfocused, study of love vs. passion. The film is the true story of painter Dora Carrington and the platonic relationship she shares with author Lytton Strachey. They are in love with each other, even though Strachey is gay. They decide to set up house together, abandoning all of England's accepted social structures. The performances by Pryce and Thompson are captivating, though at times the film seems too blandly directed for a story about such a consuming and impossible love. QQ: Lots of gay stuff going on with Pryce's character which is all very matter-of-fact; a positive social scenario, indeed.