Chaplin - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Chaplin Reviews

½ April 3, 2017
I finally finished this long-planned movie before netflix was pulling out! Robert Downey Jr. rocks portraying the name sake. Interesting but not surprising to see Chaplin's children (and grandchildren) in acting industry.
March 26, 2017
Chaplin covers all aspects of Charles' life, adding unnecessary coverage to what could've been a streamlined plot. Downey is great in the lead, but nothing else stands out.
March 25, 2017
This was Robert Downey jr. best work as an actor !! he really had Charlie chaplin down !!! it is a little long but it is really worth watching! !
November 11, 2016
Robert Downey Jr.'s performance is often enough to overcome Chaplin's made-for-TV feel.
November 10, 2016
it was ok not the best
September 6, 2016
Overlong and mostly boring but Robert Downey Jr. gives one of his best performances
August 28, 2016
I loved this movie! it was so good
August 27, 2016
Seemed better on first viewing. Still rather good and it's aging fairly well.
August 21, 2016
RDJ is truly amazing in this movie. Wow. Not sure why it got such bad reviews too.
July 23, 2016
Downey Jr. is absolutely spellbinding as Chaplin... but this movie chooses to focus on his endless stream of women, thus making the whole thing feel a bit flat and insignificant.
July 12, 2016
Robert Downey Jr is really good, but the movie just dragged. The best bits were when it was actually Chaplin clips.
½ June 29, 2016
Far too glossy a biopic really to be taken seriously. There seems to be so much more going on in the life of Chaplin but we barely scratch beneath the surface in this paper thin effort. For rainy Sunday afternoons only.
June 16, 2016
Disappointing. Expected to see much more character development. While it does a good job of sticking to his true autobiography, it leaves the viewer lacking in story development. Would love to see a remake.
April 24, 2016
Long before he donned the Iron Suit, Robert Downey, Jr. had the chance to shine in a different way. This film about the controversial (mostly) silent film star Charlie Chaplin not only earned Downey well-deserved praise, but also earned him an Oscar nom for Lead Actor. Directed by Richard Attenborough (who also acted and remembered as John Hammond in Jurassic Park) this film does a fine job of showing a Chaplin who seldom seemed to be at peace. Just do not expect a well-rounded biography, because there is more to this man than can be presented in film. A truly complicated man, who you could almost feel sorry for. Also seen in this remarkable film are Anthony Hopkins, Kevin Kline, and Mila Jovanovich.
April 15, 2016
Spanning over the film legend's era-defining career, it captures a broad collection of Chaplin's most humorous and heart-breaking moments in life.
½ April 10, 2016
Although the story was a bit lackluster, the history behind Charlie Chaplin and his empire are magnificent. Downey does a fantastic job of portraying Chaplin and in all I thought It was a good movie. If you haven't checked it out, have a watch and see for yourself. It is not the most fast paced movie ever, but it tells an interesting story. You will have to do your research on whats fact and whats fiction
April 1, 2016
I didn't like it , I think it may have been better if it was shorter .
February 20, 2016
A major disappointment. It fails to bear a resemblance to the real Charlie Chaplin. Not to knock Robert Downey Jr., but he was way off the mark. It doesn't focus on Chaplin as an entertainer, but chooses instead to account for his personal life. I didn't care for it. (First and only viewing - 2/16/2016)
February 5, 2016
I squealed a little when a character asked "What's he putting on, a suit of armor?"
½ January 28, 2016
This is a heartfelt film about the complicated life of a man who wanted most of all to just make us laugh.